2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Rounds with a Vintage Bag

Just wanted to share my clubs for 2017..

What model Spalding T P is that? I have inadvertantly became a TP collector over the past 2 years

Like your old TM hybrid too mine in my front line bag is just like it. The only hybrid I have ever hit that I did not hook off the planet. Of course I have about 5 grams of lead tape in the toe. I can hit a cute soft 3 yard little draw with it. Mine is 22* with a stock TM "stiff" shaft in it which checks out on the frequency machine between a stiff and regular. And yes found on the scrap pile at work

It says TMP3..

Nothing special, but it feels great.

Played today. Carried a ping eye 2 black dot 2 iron as my primary tee club.

Did not go well!! Of course not sure what I was expecting. Best drive was a carry of 200 with a 15 yard roll out. I get a 205 total distance with my modern 4 iron. May try to add some tape to the cavity to adjust feel. Will try again tomorrow, if the weather stays nice.

Also maybe thinking when the weather warms up and the ground firms, might get a better roll.

Played today. Carried a ping eye 2 black dot 2 iron as my primary tee club.

Did not go well!! Of course not sure what I was expecting. Best drive was a carry of 200 with a 15 yard roll out. I get a 205 total distance with my modern 4 iron. May try to add some tape to the cavity to adjust feel. Will try again tomorrow, if the weather stays nice.

Also maybe thinking when the weather warms up and the ground firms, might get a better roll.

You do realize your ping is about 25* and your modern 4 is 21-23*. Sounds about right to me. Plus hitting a 2iron is so much cooler. Was their a diff on the trajectory?

You do realize your ping is about 25* and your modern 4 is 21-23*. Sounds about right to me. Plus hitting a 2iron is so much cooler. Was their a diff on the trajectory?

Ping Eye 2-iron was 18.5 degrees ... might just not be launching as well as the modern 4 for Juice's swing ?

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

Ok, Since mid to late November i have been playing my Ping G10's. I normally go modern during the Peak Season here in SoFlo. It's just easier. Got up today and my wife and I ran a few errands. It was nice out. Warm but not hot, at least not hot for here, and there was a bit of a breeze. We got back and I looked at afternoon tee times. Found a decent time/rate on a very pretty executive course we're familiar with. Asked my wife if she wanted to play and she said sure! I had about 90 min before we needed to leave so I decided to bag up and air out the 85 Mizuno Cimarron Blades! Threw in a Blonde Ping Zing Driver and a Ping Karsten I 4 wood. We were paired with a very nice French Canadian couple just a bit older than we are. She spoke good English but his was very limited. First tee was about 130+ from the whites. He motioned me to go first and I grabbed my 7 iron. As I walked over I saw him looking at my club set in the cart. He said something to his wife who shushed him. Nice smooth swing, ball hits the green about 3 feet in front of the hole and runs about 5 feet by. He said something else to his wife and she laughed. As he walked to the tee box she said that He'd asked her why I would want to play these old clubs. After my tee shot he'd said never mind. LOL

I played as well as any round I'd played since going to the moderns in November and better than most of them. I often wonder why I bother but know it's probably for appearance sake. I doubt that the G10's will get played again before next November.

Fairways & Greens My Friends!

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Played 9 holes last night, and in the gathering gloom on the 18th tee (par-4, 400 yards, playing as my 9th hole) I decided to put two balls in play and go with a modern vs classic "play off hole" to finish up.

The Modern Arrows:

Cleveland Classic 290 - 9 degrees, with Miyazaki C-Kua 43S stiff graphite shaft, club length 45.25"

Sonartec MD Hybrid Loft 19 degrees (2i/5w) with UST iRod stiff graphite shaft, 40".

Vice Pro Neon ball

The Classic Combatant:

Wood Bros Texan 3-Wood with Brunswick composite shaft, flex unmarked, but probably stiff, loft about 13 degrees. club length 42.5".

Titleist NTX Tour S ball

Hit the Cleveland driver up the left hand side, decent strike about 220 yards, all carry and no roll, just missing the left hand bunkers. The approach shot was about 180 yards in, from semi-rough, for which I selected the aforementioned hybrid, which I didn't hit very well and it came up about 10 yards short of the green on the apron, about 70 feet from the hole. Hit a semi-decent pitch to about 8 feet, but did not make the par putt.

Hit the Texan up the left side, curving back to centre. Not the best strike but it carried about 180 and, despite the heavy conditions, rolled out to about 205. Then hit the same club to pin high just off the green, but putting, about 25 feet from the hole. 2 putts later and Classic had come out on top with a par 4 vs a bogey 5.

In the cold light of day, you can't beat a solid lump of wood it seems ... :)

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

Played the other day with some familiar older guys (like me), and we usually play the whites. Had a newcomer about 20 years younger with an Epic driver and mp-68s, so I played the blues with him. I'm not gonna tell you I could keep up with him off the tee, but a few times, I was in the vicinity. The striking thing was about every 3 holes, he'd wander over to my cart and pull out my Penna 4 wood for a practice few swings, not saying anything to me but smiling intensely. It wasn't new to him...he said he had a set years ago. With all he had invested in current his set, I doubt he caught the bug, but I could see him having an occasional relapse.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been back to playing my 85 Mizzy blades the last 4 rounds out.

Playing today and on the 4th hole my drive left me 160+ out from the flagstick with a uphill lie in light rough.

Swing... Smack... ball rolls up about 4 feet past the flag and I give my favorite yell... TWO! (iron)

67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Playing today and on the 4th hole my drive left me 160+ out from the flagstick with a uphill lie in light rough.

Swing... Smack... ball rolls up about 4 feet past the flag and I give my favorite yell... TWO! (iron)

Toughest shot in golf -- 2 iron off the deck -- and hence, the most rewarding. Good job, TimV!

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

Toughest shot in golf -- 2 iron off the deck -- and hence, the most rewarding. Good job, TimV!

I played a mizuno 2 iron yesterday, and all I yelled was "OWWW OWW OWWWWW!!"

Had a couple of rounds of foursomes down at Royal St George's (regardez-moi!). Twenty years since my first varsity match and old scores to settle!

Bussons and old MacGregors held there own against more modern competition. Nicely running fairways, so not that far behind except into the breeze. Profuse apologies to partner!

Brought some of the winter purchases to the range today to try to determine which clubs to bring on the first round of the year.

Best of the woods, surprisingly the 1975 laminated VIPs, lovely high flight, draw biased. The Hogan was so-so, and the aluminum shafted MacGregor MT 2 wood was just weird, super low flight with the insert set severely toward the heel. Could see it being useful in windy conditions though!

The irons, sorry Jack, the 75 VIPs were not very good at all, extremely square looking and not a lot of feeling. The 79 Tourneys are much better, I used those a few rounds last year, but the Hogan Redlines... so yummy!

Putters, absolutely loved the 8813, ball came of the face super soft, nice sound, confidence building. The 8802 was also good, but a bit too short for me, and I missed a top line aim marker. The Bulls Eye was ok, but I did not care too much for the IM5, it was a bit life-less and seemed like the face wasn't square at address.

DKkm0sF.jpg

IQpXI10.jpg

GFRjNqU.jpg

Well I made a decision finally today. I decided to play the 1959 FCs tomorrow. I ended up with those irons about a year ago on a trade deal which included my Muirfields. Now these irons are nice and have been rechromed but they lost the ceramic faces in the process. I had debated on playing them ever since I had them because they looked nice. Finally I could not resist. I have had them put up in the house but had done some work on the Neuman leather grips with some advice from Fellaheem. Of course by looking at them I knew they were too flat for me. I put them on the machine and they were at least 5* flat from specs. They were also delofted all to heck. Worked on them over 2 hours getting them back to specs. I play all of my Mac irons to Mac specs. Those irons are nice but not perfect so I decided WTH? play them. Here is the line up for tomorrow.

Driver-- Toney Penna Model 65 walnut finish S-400 I really crank this driver one of my favorites among all the Penna drivers I own

3 wood Macgregor 945W shaft band says it is a X-100 but I do not believe it, I hit it as good as I do my modern Adams metal 3 wood

Irons 2 thru PW 1959 Macgregor FC 4000 Pro Pel 2 shafts

SW 1958 Wilson Staff Triple Duty 54* I know I am a dyed in the wool Mac man but I love this wedge

Putter Spalding Touring Pro Model TPM III

Like I have said before this is part of my fun with the vintage stuff switching around every week

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Brought some of the winter purchases to the range today to try to determine which clubs to bring on the first round of the year.

Best of the woods, surprisingly the 1975 laminated VIPs, lovely high flight, draw biased. The Hogan was so-so, and the aluminum shafted MacGregor MT 2 wood was just weird, super low flight with the insert set severely toward the heel. Could see it being useful in windy conditions though!

The irons, sorry Jack, the 75 VIPs were not very good at all, extremely square looking and not a lot of feeling. The 79 Tourneys are much better, I used those a few rounds last year, but the Hogan Redlines... so yummy!

Putters, absolutely loved the 8813, ball came of the face super soft, nice sound, confidence building. The 8802 was also good, but a bit too short for me, and I missed a top line aim marker. The Bulls Eye was ok, but I did not care too much for the IM5, it was a bit life-less and seemed like the face wasn't square at address.

DKkm0sF.jpg

IQpXI10.jpg

GFRjNqU.jpg

I have an IM-5 like yours but mine is not as pretty but has an interesting story behind it ( remind me I will tell you later) not to mention I have owned it for close to 45 years now

Well I made a decision finally today. I decided to play the 1959 FCs tomorrow.

Here is the line up for tomorrow.

Driver-- Toney Penna Model 65 walnut finish S-400 I really crank this driver one of my favorites among all the Penna drivers I own

3 wood Macgregor 945W shaft band says it is a X-100 but I do not believe it, I hit it as good as I do my modern Adams metal 3 wood

Irons 2 thru PW 1959 Macgregor FC 4000 Pro Pel 2 shafts

SW 1958 Wilson Staff Triple Duty 54* I know I am a dyed in the wool Mac man but I love this wedge

Putter Spalding Touring Pro Model TPM III

We want to hear the results buddy.

As requested Tim not too bad. Those irons hit good in fact so good I wish I had gotten them out a year ago. Ended up shooting 80 from the mid tees @ 6224 yards. It was windy in the afternoon. Believe it or not the greens were slow as crap and beat up. They had put over 200 players through yesterday. It is also the transition season so the greens are thick anyhow. They had also let the length of the greens get up since it has been dry and windy some where the tourist hacks balls will hold the greens. I had the wrong putter for those slow greens. Pretty good ball striking day all through the bag. I think this is going to be the vintage set up for a while. I will probably go to one of my Anser putters until the greens are punched and Verde cut and thinned out. For some reason the Pro Pel 2 shafts in those 59s does not seem to hit as stiff as the ones in the 62s. Since I am only carrying 13 clubs I may add a 5 wood to the set up. I feel confident that had I putted good I would have broken 80 with that set up

I just spent the past 30 minutes reading posts on this thread. Great stories. The consensus of the stories is pretty clear, a vintage driver has less margin for error and produces worse mishits than a metal wood. Why? Simple, because lets face it - 160 ccs of persimmon club face is way harder than 460 ccs of space age engineering designed to make the ball fly straighter.

But I have found that I don't usually want my tee shots to fly straight. Sometimes I want a low running stinger that will roll and roll, while other times I want to hit the widest part of the fairway, which makes for less stress off the tee. I've also learned that my approach shot from 110-140 yards is usually better than a 90 yard approach shot. So if I'm playing a 380-400 yard hole I may score better playing my Eye o Matics than my callaway great big bertha (2016). Also, if I play my vintage '62 staff turfriders or '53 tommy armor 915s, I'll leave myself a 110 yard approach shot to a 525 yard par 5 compare to using my modern sticks and missing the green in two and leaving myself a difficult chip from who knows where.

Just like when I was in college on the team, I can still routinely hit a 1 iron 230 yards or more off the tee and my 4 wood is also a consistent 220 yards. And I like the peace of mind that comes from hitting more fairways by using a 43" driver rather than a 45" club. And I don't mind the two or three pop up drives each round that only go 210, compared to having one ob each round because I hit a 270 yard tee shot offline on a dogleg I tried to cut.

But most of all, I love the looks I get from people I play with who are absolutely amazed on what they think is a tiny sweet spot on my muscle backs , compared to their cavity backs.

As I get older (I'm 52 now), I prefer to better understand the history of the old club makers and read the posts here from those who built the clubs and tested them versus the computer aided design and track man statistians who worship technology and distance over learning how to "play the game" in all conditions. Over the last three years, I find that my average score (80) with my persimmons is not much different than my modern clubs and I usually make more birdies each round, but I have fewer penalty strikes with my vintage sticks because the greater distances find the hazards more easily.

Lastly, I can't help but admire the sheer beauty of the older clubs. They're like driving a 1958 corvette compared to a Z06. One will get you there faster with more expensive tickets while the other gets you there in classic style

Macgregor Tourney Byron Nelson 1949 stainless irons
Iron master 1952 putter
Ben Hogan Speed Slot 403 woods
Macgregor M75 Driver 1952
Wilson R90 wedge
Macgregor 3852MS Double Duty wedge
Macgregor Tourney Tommy Armour 915 1 Iron

Bang on.

If you dial it all the way back to hickories, everything gets progressively lower as well and you start to get more of an appreciation for those running shots, more in tune with the ground and closer to how a lot of these courses were originally designed.

Far less interesting when you are carrying a bag full of high-powered noisey wedges...

I just spent the past 30 minutes reading posts on this thread. Great stories. The consensus of the stories is pretty clear, a vintage driver has less margin for error and produces worse mishits than a metal wood. Why? Simple, because lets face it - 160 ccs of persimmon club face is way harder than 460 ccs of space age engineering designed to make the ball fly straighter.

But I have found that I don't usually want my tee shots to fly straight. Sometimes I want a low running stinger that will roll and roll, while other times I want to hit the widest part of the fairway, which makes for less stress off the tee. I've also learned that my approach shot from 110-140 yards is usually better than a 90 yard approach shot. So if I'm playing a 380-400 yard hole I may score better playing my Eye o Matics than my callaway great big bertha (2016). Also, if I play my vintage '62 staff turfriders or '53 tommy armor 915s, I'll leave myself a 110 yard approach shot to a 525 yard par 5 compare to using my modern sticks and missing the green in two and leaving myself a difficult chip from who knows where.

Just like when I was in college on the team, I can still routinely hit a 1 iron 230 yards or more off the tee and my 4 wood is also a consistent 220 yards. And I like the peace of mind that comes from hitting more fairways by using a 43" driver rather than a 45" club. And I don't mind the two or three pop up drives each round that only go 210, compared to having one ob each round because I hit a 270 yard tee shot offline on a dogleg I tried to cut.

But most of all, I love the looks I get from people I play with who are absolutely amazed on what they think is a tiny sweet spot on my muscle backs , compared to their cavity backs.

As I get older (I'm 52 now), I prefer to better understand the history of the old club makers and read the posts here from those who built the clubs and tested them versus the computer aided design and track man statistians who worship technology and distance over learning how to "play the game" in all conditions. Over the last three years, I find that my average score (80) with my persimmons is not much different than my modern clubs and I usually make more birdies each round, but I have fewer penalty strikes with my vintage sticks because the greater distances find the hazards more easily.

Lastly, I can't help but admire the sheer beauty of the older clubs. They're like driving a 1958 corvette compared to a Z06. One will get you there faster with more expensive tickets while the other gets you there in classic style

AMEN!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Had a cracking day off yesterday... On the tee at 9am to our first really stunning spring day. Took the Ping k3s out. They did ok but man they aren't the longest so I mainly hit 6 irons to most of the greens. I think my zings will be coming out on Friday morning so I cam compare the distances. But I enjoyed hitting the k3s none the less....highlights were birdies at 11 & 15 for a 78 in total. When when the weather is like this, golf is a joy

Well played thoughts and statement. Like all of your vintage equipment too. On the Vette reference I was always a big block 1969 man had two of those fire breathing monsters one was stolen along with my golf clubs around the late 70s. The last Vette I had was a puss compared to the others it was a 78 350 automatic. But yeah I would take a 69 big block over one of the new ones in a heartbeat

Well ended up playing today with the NY Boys as I call them. Bo Bear and I went what we call "Despache Mode" today played a combo had 3 bags on the cart. I had my moderns listed in my signature along with the light Sunday bag with the 59 FCs and a matching serial number set of Izett woods. Bo Bear loved the 59s and the Izett woods. I ended up giving the 59s and woods to him. Heck he has given me so much stuff free over the years and done me good on 'trade" deals. Besides I kept my Penna driver and the Mac 945 3 wood. Heck I have so much stuff anyhow and he absolutely loved the 59s. Besides it gave me an excuse to put the Muirfields back in the classic bag to play tomorrow (as if I needed one). I also made a putter change as I stated earlier I would do until our greens are in and thinned out. I was looking in the putter bag and found an old Ping either Y blade or O blade I do not remember what it is and I have so much lead tape on it I can not read for sure what it is. The 58 Staff Triple Duty is still in for now IF I rotate it out it will be for a older 588 of course or one of my JPs. Next project that has been on the back burner since I have been busy at work and Church is reshafting a set of VIPs identical to my beloved old set that Mitchell sent to me. LOL had the tourists looking at us with his cart bag on the rider side and my Titleist stand bag and the Sunday bag with the 59s strapped on my side. One of the arsehole tourons said something to the starter about 3 sets of clubs on one cart. Bob just looked at him and told him that is just Stuey and Bear doing experiments. Yep absolutely playing my vintage rounds has helped me tremendously on the ball striking with the modern clubs. I did not put the 5 wood in the bag for tomorrow because I hit the 4 and 5 in the Muirfields so good anyhow

First round of the year today. Pretty Rusty. Shot 80, but I hit 12 fairways which is close to a miracle for me. Never was able to do that with modern gear.

The driver, 2 Wood, and 2 iron in my sig shared tee ball duties.

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

This round doesn't belong in this thread, but I mainly dropped in to say "hi", as my priorities have been out of their natural state lately-meaning golf has not been near the top.

I am playing in a "shamble" Friday, so I ventured out yesterday to knock the dust off, having not played since November. I took the modern stuff (well modern for me-the irons are 25 years old), and the game was dusty indeed. Titleist 905T driver, Taylor Raylor 16*, Callaway 3 and 4 hybrids, Titleist DCI 4-PW, a no-name copper wedge, PING ZING II sand wedge, and a Maxfli Tad Moore TM-3. I won't confess how many balls it took off the first tee, but I lost 8 balls in 9 holes. I hit a lot of bad shots, but the last two and half holes were about as good as I can play. A little time on the range and I will be as ready as I can expect.

I had my vintage bag re-gripped with Crosslines last week. Starting out the year with Hogan Apex PC's 3-E, Wilson JPII pitching wedge, Hogan Sure-Out, Bert Dargie "Big Herb" persimmon driver, PING Eye2 laminate 3W and 5W, and vacillating between a Maxfli Tad Moore TM-3 and my old Wilson Geo Low Original 600. One of these two putters will be in my modern bag Friday.

Drivers: Titleist 915D2 9.5* Aldila Rogue 60-3.8-S
Titleist TS2 Tensei AV55 S flex
Fairway: Callaway Rogue 15* Proj X Evenflow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21*
Irons: Titleist 718AP1 5-GW2
Wedges: Vokey SM6 , 56-10S, 60-08M
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 35"
Ball: Titleist AVX