Random conversation thread

Read the Golf magazine article about the Medicore Golf Association (MGA) last night. Pretty funny. Sounds like the MGA is a group that may be right up my alley. Hackers that like to play without taking it all to seriously. Couple of buds have gotten curious about participating. Anyone around here have any experience with this group?

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Seems like those average joe golf association things always start out with the best of intentions and then get ruined by sandbaggers.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Vokey SM10 54M 58D
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

What seemingly makes this group different is that:

1. They have a reverse handicap methodology. Established handicaps below 18 have strokes taken away. According to the article, this is suppose discourage sandbagging. Not here to parse the accuracy of this format.

2. The tourneys have no prize money involved. Just bragging rights. Seemingly, would eliminate sandbagging shooters. What's to be gained? Meaningless ego gratification for "winning" nothing?

3. The nature of the MGA, again seemingly, is about playing "competitive" golf in a non-serious environment. Something to have some fun with. Perhaps there may be some self policing structure exposing sandbagging. Only speculating.

Perhaps I'm not a total cynic relative to golfer behavior in that maybe there are others, like myself, that would like to have some competitive fun with it.

Seems to have the best of intentions, and definitely the fun aspect of it is apparent. I'm game.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Vokey SM10 54M 58D
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Let's play!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I haven't visited in a few days--OSR, I hope the recovery is going well, and glad you were covered. Big Stu, you were able to avoid damage?

Drivers: Titleist 915D2 9.5* Aldila Rogue 60-3.8-S
Titleist TS2 Tensei AV55 S flex
Fairway: Callaway Rogue 15* Proj X Evenflow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21*
Irons: Titleist 718AP1 5-GW2
Wedges: Vokey SM6 , 56-10S, 60-08M
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 35"
Ball: Titleist AVX

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite color is clear.

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

dbuck,
Thanks for asking. Am ready for the reconstruction phase to start. Lining up times with the contractors now. Thinking of selling when finished. Not because of worry about living on a barrier island, but, real estate values are up here at the moment and I looked at some new homes in a golf community just north of the city yesterday after playing. Hmmm, more bang for my buck here in this locale, and a nice 27 hole layout with discounts for seniors and military/retired military. That's some serious savings for me. Makes it cheaper than the local muni and the facilities are way better.

Simple dinner.

Two pieces of French bread toast

Melt mozzarella cheese on them.

Apply liberal amount pickled asparagus.

Mash together. Chase with ice cold whole milk.

Yum.

Vokey SM10 54M 58D

Was on my pity pot yesterday about my loss of ss after the operation 2 years ago. Went in to EW to talk to the guys and test out the Wilson Buttonback remake.
Like the originals better, anyway there was a one-armed guy in there testing clubs and putting. Kind of made me ashamed to complain so much about I can't do this, I can't do that anymore after the operation. Got to learn just to be able to move the ball around with the hand we are dealt and keep the lid on the pity pot.

Along those lines, a fellow WRX member posted something like this on another forum....

[b][i]Everytime I get depressed I just go to a grocery store and realize I could, if I wanted, buy 10 different kinds of oreos.[/i][/b]

[b][i]Half the world isn't sure where dinner is coming from.[/i][/b]

A bit of perspecitve....

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Well, not sure if they`re leaving the flags up, but with the time change, and inclement (i.e. winter) weather coming, it looks like tomorrow might be my last chance to get on a course this year.

Do enjoy when J2A stops by with random thoughts, too.

Amazing how many terms in English don`t translate well to someone learning English.

i.e. Sandwich, Concentration Camp

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1446327056' post='12533882']
Was on my pity pot yesterday about my loss of ss after the operation 2 years ago. Went in to EW to talk to the guys and test out the Wilson Buttonback remake.
Like the originals better, anyway there was a one-armed guy in there testing clubs and putting. Kind of made me ashamed to complain so much about I can't do this, I can't do that anymore after the operation. Got to learn just to be able to move the ball around with the hand we are dealt and keep the lid on the pity pot.
[/quote]

one of my friend's late grandfather lost his right arm in an industrial accident 70 years ago. He had been drafted by the Chicago Cubs right out of high school and lost the arm before he could get to their training. Any way, he took up golf and got his handicap down 10 or less, playing with only one arm. I
So here I sit with all 4 extremities in working order; and I think I could play better if my back and hip didn't hurt? Oftentimes, it is better to "make do" than to make excuses.

b/t/w, this guy's progeny became scratch or better players. His grand daughter played and won a tournament on the LPGA tour.
Uncle Bob

[quote name='dbuck47' timestamp='1445440435' post='12487270']
I haven't visited in a few days--OSR, I hope the recovery is going well, and glad you were covered. Big Stu, you were able to avoid damage?
[/quote]Thanks I am late as usual- I was lucky did not get any damage but I sweated it for a while. I had about 2 feet of standing water in my yard lacked about 3 inches of getting in the shop but it did not. My mobile home is about 4 feet off the ground so no problem other than a plumbing fitting under the house started leaking with no noticeable drop in water pressure for a while. Got that fixed last week after the ground dried up and I could see the leak

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Confession - I ventured forth out of the "friendly confines" of the classic section briefly. It's a troubled land out there. Moving forward, think I'll just stay here where it's safe and non-controversial. Where kindred spirits reside.

There are a fair number of folks on WRX who are interested in "entertainment" instead of sharing information, or learning about particular golf equipment, etc. I participate in the epic long blade thread, there have been folks who have posted elsewhere, expressing annoyance they aren't allowed to troll the thread (post junk just to get a reaction).

This seems to be an affliction of the generation younger, who've grown up doing such things on the net. <shrug>
(gross generalization)

I tend to pick my spots. :)

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1447241267' post='12583328']
Confession - I ventured forth out of the "friendly confines" of the classic section briefly. It's a troubled land out there. Moving forward, think I'll just stay here where it's safe and non-controversial. Where kindred spirits reside.
[/quote]I thought you liked us over on the Confessions Section?

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1447250202' post='12583670']
There are a fair number of folks on WRX who are interested in "entertainment" instead of sharing information, or learning about particular golf equipment, etc. I participate in the epic long blade thread, there have been folks who have posted elsewhere, expressing annoyance they aren't allowed to troll the thread (post junk just to get a reaction).

This seems to be an affliction of the generation younger, who've grown up doing such things on the net. <shrug>
(gross generalization)

[/quote]Like You I have learned to "pick my spots' I stay over here and on the confessions forum. I ventured out on the Club Tech Forum the other night to answer an legimate question from a member. I did state up front that this was my opinion and not etched in stone or anything. Actually the OP gave me a like and thanked me. two other guys told me up front off the bat that I was full of "dookie" I ended up getting into it with them and then remembered what my old man always said about argueing with an idiot so I dropped it. I have no problem with someone disagreeing with my opinion whatsoever. It was just the disrespectful way it was done. Yep I will no longer comment on the Equipment Forum here. Of course you folks feel free to ask me anytime and your opinions even if they differ from mine are welcome any time.

[quote name='TuffyE' timestamp='1447103007' post='12575418']
I do hope the Lowcountry recovery is going well for all of you down that way. There's going to have to be a S.C. WRX get-together at some point.
[/quote]Absolutely positively as Breed says on the GC "Lets Do This"--- As I am typing this I am watching the GC watching the rerun of the 86 Masters with Mr. Nicklaus kicking butt with what brand of clubs? I know it is a suspicious looking green and white bag

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1447278841' post='12585788']
[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1447250202' post='12583670']

(gross generalization)

[/quote]Like You I have learned to "pick my spots' I stay over here and on the confessions forum. I ventured out on the Club Tech Forum the other night to answer an legimate question from a member. I did state up front that this was my opinion and not etched in stone or anything. Actually the OP gave me a like and thanked me. two other guys told me up front off the bat that I was full of "dookie" I ended up getting into it with them and then remembered what my old man always said about argueing with an idiot so I dropped it. I have no problem with someone disagreeing with my opinion whatsoever. It was just the disrespectful way it was done. Yep I will no longer comment on the Equipment Forum here. Of course you folks feel free to ask me anytime and your opinions even if they differ from mine are welcome any time.
[/quote]

There are guys around WRX who think grooves cause spin, and that the shaft that works for me in a Fly-Z+ will work for everyone (the brutal "what shaft works in SoAndSo club" threads) else the same way. LOL

So, yeah. What you said. ;)

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1447278128' post='12585690']
[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1447241267' post='12583328']
[/quote]I thought you liked us over on the Confessions Section?
[/quote]

Nothing personal Big Stu. As I consider you to be one of the main "kindred spirits" of which I speak. The histrionics today rubbed me the wrong way. In that thread and elsewhere on this site. Thinking its time for a break from all this golf chatter. A winter sabbatical of sorts. Perhaps just having a "cranky old man" day.

With that said, it's the type and tone of discourse that I do not see in the Classic section. Ever. We'll see what may transpire moving forward.

Actually Fella, we have had a few argumentative sorts wander in here attempting to stir the pot.

However, when we meet them with kindness, and welcome them to our little safe haven, they usually wander off elsewhere to the place where their keyboard warrior skills get them a reaction.

Even when we infrequently talk politics (like earlier in this thread) there is a general respect for the opinions of others. We're all mature enough to understand that we may not agree on everything, but we do respect the intelligent and well-thought out opinions others share. You know, the intelligent discourse that seems to be disappearing from society on an almost daily basis (15 minutes of CNN, MSNBC, or Fox News will attest to this).

Of course, classics themselves are resistant to the sort of quantification the other folks ascribe to golf clubs. We rarely talk about trackman, smash factor, launch monitors, etc here, other than a reference such as "I was in a launch monitor, and saw my driver swing speed has dropped from 95 to 85 because the arthritis in my back acts up when I swing too hard".

Instead, we talk about feel, aesthetics, tradition, and memory, while also enjoying a brisk trade in nostalgia. Like faith, these are individual experiences, and cannot be measured, compared, or argued about.

We also understand golf is less a competition, and more a sport through which one comes to understand themselves. This is reflected in our shared enjoyment when one does well with a new club, swing change, or golf ball. We are not jealous that others are doing well. We instead share their joy, as we know that our WRX friends have managed to find that little slice of happiness we all seek when we go golfing. As much as anything, golf is a game of hope, and we are happy to see other realize their hopes.

Not much to be histrionic about here. And I for one am glad you found us, Fella. Nothing (and I mean nothing) over the past three years has made me as enthusiastic about golf as my friends in this forum.
Speaking from experience, if one wanders in here, and one belongs here, then one stays here, and you certainly are one of us.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

[quote name='HoldenCornfield' timestamp='1447504311' post='12597768']
[quote name='ScooterMcTavish' timestamp='1447342437' post='12589016']
...Nothing (and I mean nothing) over the past three years has made me as enthusiastic about golf as my friends in this forum.
[/quote]

Well said, Scooter. Couldn't agree more.
[/quote]

Amen to that Scott and Kevin! WE ARE ALL HERE TO SUPPORT EACH OTHER! KUDOS TO ALL!!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS