Random conversation thread

[quote name='stevemcgee99' timestamp='1448351174' post='12639140']
One of my favorites on YouTube. Great golf (and cool backswing), plus great commentary on the 'youth of today'.
[/quote]

Cheers for posting this .. I had forgotten all about that series, but the moment the theme music kicked in I was in a familiar 'happy' place :)

The BBC used to do us proud with good golf programs ... this one, plus the International Pro Celebrity Golf series ...shame they all fell by the wayside.

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

[quote name='Blade Junkie' timestamp='1449393704' post='12686384']
Randomly curious to hear from those of you who have moved South, what was the decison clincher for your choice of Florida vs Arizona vs Southern California vs Texas .. etc etc (with apologies for other States I may have omitted!)

I have an expat uncle who resides inTucson .... I like AZ, but only in Winter!
[/quote]

The goal for me would be to eliminate the extremes, which is why I like Atlanta. We're too far south for extreme winter conditions, and have a high enough elevation that the summers are not too torrid. Atlanta lies in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains and is said to have the highest elevation (750-1000 ft) of any major city east of the Mississippi River. That helps cool things at night during the summer and keeps the humidity in check.

Atlanta is mild for three seasons and tolerable for the fourth. Good for a golf-based lifestyle -- the goal of all GolfWRX members.

Another great place to live with a temperate clime might be the southwest coast of Oregon...over towards Bandon Dunes, maybe?

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

[quote name='HoldenCornfield' timestamp='1449597830' post='12695264']
I've read more than once, however, that "Golf Paradise on Earth" is to be found in New Zealand. Best combination of climate, scenery, links golf, and cost of living. Maybe some of our Kiwi members can chime in.
[/quote]

You would be right on three out of four. I found cost of living to be similar to higher to what I am used to as a Canadian. Americans would find it pricey, especially essentials like food and fuel. Australia is probably a better match cost of living wise.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

A lot of folks who have a career working in the big, busy Texas cities retire to smaller Texas towns, generally ones with a good golf club or two, and within about an hour's drive of a bigger city.

So, the Hill Country around Austin, Bourne- north of San Antonio, Galveston-S of Houston, and now towns surrounding Houston in all directions are popular.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

[quote name='stevemcgee99' timestamp='1448351174' post='12639140']
[quote name='ScooterMcTavish' timestamp='1447771356' post='12609854']
[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1447713327' post='12607150']
Standing in line for security check in New Orleans ...rudest people in line ever....my rant for the day.
[/quote]

The lack of manners and decorum in today's society is nauseating.
[/quote]

One of my favorites on YouTube. Great golf (and cool backswing), plus great commentary on the 'youth of today'.
[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttbtRNNQufY[/media]
[/quote]

And thanks also for posting that video. It was interesting to see (and hear) more of the Voice of Rugby, which he was to me.

Rugby,
Being an American lad, more properly stated, North American, breaking it down more, from the US of A, rugby was an odd game I watched on the early days of ESPN.
A few years ago I had the pleasure of being assigned to a project in Capetown SA. The hotel I was staying at was also housing the Aussie Rugby team while they were prepping for a match against the South Aftician team.
Long story short. ended up going to the game. Had a blast. Been a fan ever since.
Would have loved playing it when I was younger.

Found this article while surfing for other info. Maybe posted before, maybe not. Enjoyed the read.

http://www.si.com/vault/1996/11/04/218451/king-of-clubs-when-the-games-best-players-are-in-the-market-for-a-perfect-set-of-irons-they-call-on-don-white

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1449670870' post='12698498']
Found this article while surfing for other info. Maybe posted before, maybe not. Enjoyed the read.

http://www.si.com/vault/1996/11/04/218451/king-of-clubs-when-the-games-best-players-are-in-the-market-for-a-perfect-set-of-irons-they-call-on-don-white
[/quote]

Real nice article Fella!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1449665376' post='12698254']
Rugby,
Being an American lad, more properly stated, North American, breaking it down more, from the US of A, rugby was an odd game I watched on the early days of ESPN.
A few years ago I had the pleasure of being assigned to a project in Capetown SA. The hotel I was staying at was also housing the Aussie Rugby team while they were prepping for a match against the South Aftician team.
Long story short. ended up going to the game. Had a blast. Been a fan ever since.
Would have loved playing it when I was younger.
[/quote]

I was small when I played (played wing then dropped down a team and played scrum-half), so ended up getting squished by the big guys. Still, I like watching it, and it's a better spectator sport now then back when I played due to a slew of rule changes designed to keep the ball moving.
I was at the in-laws one time, and my (Japanese) father-in-law was flicking through the channels on satellite TV as usual. A Wales-vs-England rugby game came on (Six Nations), and I asked him to stay on the channel for a while. He shuts up and watches the game with me in silence for about 10 minutes. At last, he can't contain himself any further and he asks, "Are there any rules?"
I lost it.

I just got an e-mail this morning from Golftown. These things seem to come in most days, particularly during the shopping season. Today's big offer is a Cobra Fly-Z driver for $179. The very same club that sold for $379 when it was released last winter, so that's a greater than 50% discount within a year of being released. You scroll down the page and Golftown is offering you a $75 gift card if you buy the new Callaway Great Big Bertha for $549! Woo hoo, they're giving you a $75 gift card on a club that was likely $499 and charging you $50 for the privilege! Not withstanding, who in their right mind is going to buy the full price club on release when you know that you'll be able to get it within a year for probably half off? It's no wonder the golf industry is so effed up! It makes you wonder what the unit cost on these things is and how many they have to sell to break even with this sort of pricing regime.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I'm expecting someone will shortly bring up product cycle acceleration, so I'll jump right to it.

As much as folks decry it, this acceleration helped save the golf consumer from the $1,000 driver (ignoring Ram's effort there). The GBB was already $500 in the mid 90s with a junky stock shaft. Add inflation and a better shaft, we'd be in stupid price territory for new drivers.

The accelerated cycles didn't allow for that, you could buy the previous model for a discounted rate, just as we are with the Cobra mentioned above.

This is why I don't mind the faster cycling of product lines. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I don't buy that for a minute. Off shore production has had far more to do with reducing product costs than bringing out a new model every six months. The accelerated product cycle was all about driving demand. The only problem with that is that when your customers figure out the sham, you struggle for sales and more importantly you back yourself into the discount corner. Ping and Titleist have managed to keep prices of new product up by sticking to the traditional two year product cycle. You can make a very solid case that Taylormade's financial woes are a direct result of pursuing the accelerated product cycle.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

[quote name='scomac2002' timestamp='1449782197' post='12704498']
The accelerated product cycle was all about driving demand.
[/quote]

Actually, it was about beating Callaway, who had a near stranglehold on the driver market in the late 90s. :)
The "saving from the $1000 driver" was an ancillary effect, not an original target.

[quote name='scomac2002' timestamp='1449782197' post='12704498'][color=#282828]You can make a very solid case that Taylormade's financial woes are a direct result of pursuing the accelerated product cycle. [/quote][/color]

[color=#282828]Quite likely. Accelerated product cycles are fine in a boom, but there's little "boom" about golf equipment at the moment...[/color]

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1449782749' post='12704542']
[color=#282828]Accelerated product cycles are fine in a boom, but there's little "boom" about golf equipment at the moment...[/color]
[/quote]

Thus we now have (or are entering into) an era of reduced demand for equipment. If we agree on the statistical evidence that participation is in decline. We should be seeing a longer product cycle and stable or reduced prices. Doesn't seem like either is occurring in the marketplace. After a visit to a LGS (large independent "Top 100" retailer) the racks were stocked with the latest and greatest. With prices that were astonishing. And occupying a significant portion of that floor space was the discounted area filled to the brim with prior generation equipment. Quite a dichotomy one steps back to observe (and recognize) what is occurring here. The worst offenders? You guessed it, Callaway and TM. Bins full.

Then there are those consumers, like many of us here in Classic WRX, that have the ruse figured out. We have cut thru the marketing "fog" of new equipment. Recognizing what's taking place, very small incremental improvement at best. We become the OEM's worst nightmare. We refuse to buy new product. As a matter of principal. But the OEM's have done a very good job of convincing the masses that "new is better". I've had conversations with people who are in the market for a change of equipment. Telling them the story. Discussing with them that with some testing and prudent shopping, significant $ can be saved buying even slightly used. Offer my assistance (humbly figuring I know a little bit of what I speak). No one has taken me up on this :dntknw: They invariable buy new and generally without the whole "got to be fit" process that is so favored around here. And the classic equipment argument, a whole other tangent, pretty much falls on deaf ears.

This discussion is something of a hot topic for me. Spent an hour or so today hitting an iron (3rd audition) that I've become rather smitten with. To the point of actually considering it as a update in the modern bag for next season. For those days when playing the classic blades is challenging. But at a price of $800+ for clubs that are two years into their product cycle is nonsense. I know that the very same can be had slightly used in the secondary markets at significant savings with prudent shopping. Going back one generation, cuts that price by more than 50%. And this is a OEM (Ping) that is known for holding their resale revalue.

But, thank goodness for all of those that MUST have their shiny new tools. Allows us to acquire their castoffs at significant savings.

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1449794359' post='12705266']
We have cut thru the marketing "fog" of new equipment. Recognizing what's taking place, very small incremental improvement at best. [/quote]
It's really just re-arranging chairs on the titanic. There's no improvement - if there were all clubs would be exactly the same to a micron by now.

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1449794359' post='12705266']
We become the OEM's worst nightmare. We refuse to buy new product. As a matter of principal. [/quote]

I'm out of the new car market, too. My father raised me, "boy - never pay retail!" And really there is just not too much in the world that is better when 'newest'.

[quote name='stevemcgee99' timestamp='1449821785' post='12706426']

I'm out of the new car market, too. My father raised me, "boy - never pay retail!" And really there is just not too much in the world that is better when 'newest'.
[/quote]

I know exactly what you mean. My DW ordered a new Ford Focus in 2012. It was the first one of the new models sold and delivered by our local dealer. This would be her third. She had great luck with the first two and as a long distance commuter she keeps her vehicles current trading at around 150K. The 2012 had a smaller engine/transmission combo that delivered more power and better fuel economy. The transmission started to act up after the first year or so. The news came out that it was a design flaw and warranty would be extended, but limited to one fix. Got the repair done and promptly traded it in for a different model. Newer isn't always better, it just looks different!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

It's two weeks before Christmas. If the fog lifts and the rain holds off........I'm golfing today!!! Suppose to be in the low 60's and the course is open. Buds called to say, its on.

What clubs to game? Wonder how I'll play? Rusty? No doubt. But golf in December, in Michigan. LOL.

Rare indeed, Fella. I dropped in on my regular playing partner yesterday and she had wondered about playing this week. I appreciated the thought, but I've been under the weather for about a week. My clubs will stay put; cleaned and in storage.

AS for what you should game; if it was me I'd probably go with what I played last. For me that would be moderns, but they tend to see the bulk of the action in the spring and fall anyway.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Was being a bit facetious on the "what clubs to play?". The moderns are the way to go, especially with the rusty swing that will be in effect. The modern fairways are being overhauled, so will have to grab something out of inventory. And will shorten up the bag, keep it simple.

But its really just about getting out, having some fun with it. Hope you are feeling better. The Mrs. has been in recovery from a "bug". She must be feeling better this morning, because she's been complaining about me going golfing and she's not able to. She was under the impression that I was going to put up the tree today. Sorry. Change of plans. LOL.

Randy, I tore the meniscus in my left knee last December. I finally decided to have arthroscopic surgery in November. I spent the whole golf season UNABLE to draw the ball because of my knee's inability to twist normally. I felt like Ben or Jack hitting fades this year, not my normal draws.

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Got out for the aforementioned round this afternoon. Parking lot was 3/4 full, lots of golfers, looked like Sunday afternoon in July (slight hyperbole). Temp of 62*, overcast and a little damp (no rain). Course was in surprisingly decent shape. They had two temporary greens established. But the other greens were rolling the ball pretty decently all things considered. We were only going to play 9, but because we 'high stepped it' rather smartly through the front, decided to make it a full 18. Why not, sure didn't want to return home to early and face possible edicts from our Mrs'.

Actually pretty happy with how I swung the club, considering its been over a month. Shot a 43/46 = 89*. An * because we took a couple of mulligans along the way. Hey, its December! We weren't there to beat ourselves up! Even had a birdie on the 3rd hole. Second shot about 145, stiffed a 7i to 2' of the pin. No "gimmes" from the buds, so had to pop it into the back of the cup. (Like riding a bike, LOL). Some pars, some 'not pars' and one bad blowup hole. An 8 on the easiest par 4 on the course. Not that it matter much today.

Everyone out today seemed to be thoroughly enjoying themselves. Smiles, nods, sounds of laughter on occasion and the common refrain from those we spoke with...."Can you believe today? Isn't this fantastic, playing at this time of the year!" Kind of this 'shared experience' thing going on today. Can safely say that great fun was had by most. I trust that our southern brethren, who are use to playing year round, can relate to the enjoyment found in such a simple thing.......a round of golf in December.....when it is least expected.

P.S. HAB's, good to hear that you're on the mend from your surgery. Hmmm <scratches chin>, maybe I should look into having surgery on MY left knee so that I could hit a baby draw. Have'm install a twisty knee thingy. :taunt:

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1450052678' post='12716314']
Got out for the aforementioned round this afternoon. Parking lot was 3/4 full, lots of golfers, looked like Sunday afternoon in July (slight hyperbole). Temp of 62*, overcast and a little damp (no rain). Course was in surprisingly decent shape. They had two temporary greens established. But the other greens were rolling the ball pretty decently all things considered. We were only going to play 9, but because we 'high stepped it' rather smartly through the front, decided to make it a full 18. Why not, sure didn't want to return home to early and face possible edicts from our Mrs'.

Actually pretty happy with how I swung the club, considering its been over a month. Shot a 43/46 = 89*. An * because we took a couple of mulligans along the way. Hey, its December! We weren't there to beat ourselves up! Even had a birdie on the 3rd hole. Second shot about 145, stiffed a 7i to 2' of the pin. No "gimmes" from the buds, so had to pop it into the back of the cup. (Like riding a bike, LOL). Some pars, some 'not pars' and one bad blowup hole. An 8 on the easiest par 4 on the course. Not that it matter much today.

Everyone out today seemed to be thoroughly enjoying themselves. Smiles, nods, sounds of laughter on occasion and the common refrain from those we spoke with...."Can you believe today? Isn't this fantastic, playing at this time of the year!" Kind of this 'shared experience' thing going on today. Can safely say that great fun was had by most. I trust that our southern brethren, who are use to playing year round, can relate to the enjoyment found in such a simple thing.......a round of golf in December.....when it is least expected.

P.S. HAB's, good to hear that you're on the mend from your surgery. Hmmm <scratches chin>, maybe I should look into having surgery on MY left knee so that I could hit a baby draw. Have'm install a twisty knee thingy. :taunt:
[/quote]

Fella - go for it!!! The Vicodin is worth the pain!!!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

I actually hit my 1 iron on the course today. My wife and I were watching my 12 YO nephew this weekend and decided that we would try to get out before the Seahawks game this morning. Well the weather was cooperative with the 25 MPH south wind with showers. The weather looked better after the game so we watched the game and headed down to the course. I had been playing with the 1 iron at the range on Saturday and figured with the wind on #1 heading due south it would be a good time to try it. Well the first go went about 78 yards. Somewhat bummed out i teed up another and slowed down and let it rip. Walked it off with the GPS at 183 yards into about a 17 MPH wind. Much happier with that shot we went on our windy way around the short little track. My nephew may have 10 or so rounds under his belt and enjoys being out on the course with us. Nothing like when he pures a shot and has that look in his eyes of WOW!
Jimmy B
:smilie_wilson: