2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Random conversation thread

People wandering around in train stations or the tube whilst looking at their phones. Now they might be checking train times, but, whatever they're doing, get out of the bloody way! Are your homes that horrible you like sauntering around these places? Cold, damp train stations full of idiots like me?! Do you like being underground? I bloody don't.

But if I were to kick them out of the way, I'd be the one in trouble. Political correctness gone mad.

In the good old USA those folks are called "digital deadwalkers" and seriously The American Association of Orthopedic Surgeons had been running ads about this in the news media. Seems that some folks are being knocked down and injured by these nitwits

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

I spent a LOT of time up and down elevators last year between my sons couple plus months in the hospital and travel for work. And the most annoying constant was fighting to get OFF the dam thing. Folks waiting on the floor just come piling in as if the lift was empty. And when I jump off too early I just make a fast Uee, quick hands through the doors can be useful in such situations.

The worst is the NY or DC metro. You get up for your stop and when the door opens, you're greeted by a wall of the walking dead, each one with a single minded purpose: 'Me get on train!'. It then turns into a 4th and goal, with grunting and skulls clashing. How unnecessary is this? If you actually acknowledge the existence of other people, the rule is simple: they get out, then you get on. How did we even get this far as a species?

LOL I guess that is one advantage of being a big guy people tend not to do that to me. And the ladies want to get close my wife says it is because they know I am a big teddy bear. It is funny when I go to the grocery store I am always helping some little old lady seperate the shopping carts where the arseholes jam them in or grabbing something off of the top shelf for one young ladies too. My wife never worries though after being with me 30 years she knows after I do my gentlemanly thing they would not have me or if they took me home they would send me back postage due or in my case freight due :taunt:

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Though it's a free gift easly given to one another, common courtesy is a lost art. As is paying proper attention to one's surroundings, even before the advent of cell phones. Of course, golf can actually help ingrain both if given half a chance.

MODERN:
Yonex eZone 380 10*, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4w 17*
Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 4-7h
Royal Collection Tour VS 8-PW
Fourteen MT28 J.Spec 52*, Yururi Chili 57*, Cleveland CG15 64*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach
--------
CLASSIC (under construction):
'62 Hogan Power Thrust irons
--------
HICKORY:
Jack White JWX Model D driver, brassie & spoon
Mills BSD1 aluminium cleek
Tom Stewart mashie & niblick
George Nicoll spade mashie
Tom Morris mashie niblick
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

I spent a LOT of time up and down elevators last year between my sons couple plus months in the hospital and travel for work. And the most annoying constant was fighting to get OFF the dam thing. Folks waiting on the floor just come piling in as if the lift was empty. And when I jump off too early I just make a fast Uee, quick hands through the doors can be useful in such situations.

The worst is the NY or DC metro. You get up for your stop and when the door opens, you're greeted by a wall of the walking dead, each one with a single minded purpose: 'Me get on train!'. It then turns into a 4th and goal, with grunting and skulls clashing. How unnecessary is this? If you actually acknowledge the existence of other people, the rule is simple: they get out, then you get on. How did we even get this far as a species?

LOL I guess that is one advantage of being a big guy people tend not to do that to me. And the ladies want to get close my wife says it is because they know I am a big teddy bear. It is funny when I go to the grocery store I am always helping some little old lady seperate the shopping carts where the arseholes jam them in or grabbing something off of the top shelf for one young ladies too. My wife never worries though after being with me 30 years she knows after I do my gentlemanly thing they would not have me or if they took me home they would send me back postage due or in my case freight due :taunt:

I'm like you, Stu. Always helping little old ladies. When I was in my thirties and forties, the old ladies used to remark how handsome I was. I remember, at an uncle's funeral, my mother was chatting with an old pal she hadn't seen in twenty years. She asked my mother who the handsome young man was. My mother, as proud as a peacock, told her the young man was her son. She added that he was a CPA and married a wonderful girl. She went on and on, extolling my virtues.

My aunt, Mom's sister, raised a fuss later at home; she said my Mom was having too good a time at the funeral.

Anyhow, I never had the effect on young ladies I had on old ones. (Think Seinfeld's Kramer, twisted, hideous freak.) I used to think I could go to West Palm or some other old age hotspot for the rich and famous, and mimic William Holden in "Sunset Boulevard."

A Gloria Swanson wannabe would probably have shot me, too.

PS: My Mom and aunt used to say I looked like a young Wayne Newton when I was a teenager. Never could see that.

I know exactly what you mean, Wriggles. I remember that as a teen the older women that were friends with my parents were always making a fuss about me, but to their daughters and other girls my age I was all but invisible. I'm not sure that's really changed even now. That certainly seems to be the case at the golf course I work at! :lol:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Should I go back? On my way home from the course i stopped by the Value Village second hand store to peruse the golf section. The place was so busy I had to park out on the street. My path into the store took me by the drop off area. Sitting in the area was a set of green dot ping Eye 2 irons.With them in the bag was a set of TM burner metal woods. I asked the kid how long to process them, he said he didn't know. I asked inside they said come back late tonight or first thing in the AM. They seemed used but acceptable. I may go tomorrow? If Daytona gets rained on I will be going to get them. If I wait they may be gone. I really don't need them or the grief from the wife...................................................

Jimmy B

They are supposed to be relatively easy to bend and can be adjusted up to four colour codes safely. The colour code chart has changed some over the years; green is ~2.25° upright in Eye 2's I believe

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Should I go back? On my way home from the course i stopped by the Value Village second hand store to peruse the golf section. The place was so busy I had to park out on the street. My path into the store took me by the drop off area. Sitting in the area was a set of green dot ping Eye 2 irons.With them in the bag was a set of TM burner metal woods. I asked the kid how long to process them, he said he didn't know. I asked inside they said come back late tonight or first thing in the AM. They seemed used but acceptable. I may go tomorrow? If Daytona gets rained on I will be going to get them. If I wait they may be gone. I really don't need them or the grief from the wife...................................................

Jimmy B

They are supposed to be relatively easy to bend and can be adjusted up to four colour codes safely. The colour code chart has changed some over the years; green is ~2.25° upright in Eye 2's I believe

Ho's!

I've been guilty in the past of talking up how difficult Pings are to bend. I'll stand by those comments in respect of i3s and MB wedges, but I've recently flattened some Eye2s by a couple of degrees without the same grief.

I think Eye 2s are one of these sets. If you've never hit them, you'll always wonder.

Stoked. Got in as an alternate for a gig at Kiawah this morning. Just arrived on the property. Golf heaven for my neck of the woods.

The mention of Kiawah reminds me of always telling the truth. Twenty years ago, I bought three green cotton vests with the Kiawah logo from a outlet type store in the Pittsburgh area called Gabriels. Anyhow, they had a bunch, all with like a fade running down horizontally where they must have gotten folded and water damaged. For 50 cents a piece, they were nice. Anyhow, I washed them repeatedly until the fade was muted and wore them. Loved them, in fact. I thought Kiawah was in Hawaii, though.

I was at an event where I didn't know anyone. A guy comes up to me and starts asking me about the signature course. He goes on and on about his brother playing there in some hickory event. I semi honestly told him that my " Uncle Gabe" gave me the sweaters, I had never been there. I shudder to think the embarrassment if I would have said something stupid like Hawaii.

Honesty is certainly the best policy.

The practice putting green was a harbinger of things to come. 41 putts during the round and by no minor miracle I managed to place 2nd in my flight.

The exposed portions of the course along the marsh and Kiawah River were, well exposed. It seemed that the toughest holes were playing directly into the prevailing wind.

Great day. I learned a lot about what it takes to concentrate and grind and I realize that I take about one out of every three or four holes off. Going to work on that.

All in all a fine day to be out with persimmon, blades and a bullseye.

The practice putting green was a harbinger of things to come. 41 putts during the round and by no minor miracle I managed to place 2nd in my flight.

The exposed portions of the course along the marsh and Kiawah River were, well exposed. It seemed that the toughest holes were playing directly into the prevailing wind.

Great day. I learned a lot about what it takes to concentrate and grind and I realize that I take about one out of every three or four holes off. Going to work on that.

All in all a fine day to be out with persimmon, blades and a bullseye.

Proud of you Randy! Taking it on the chin for the Classic Club team...HOO RAH!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Thank you Alan,

but, as I say about my military career, it was an honor to serve.

I again made the Peeping Tom round before the start, looking in the bags, and eyeballing around the range. Nary a bag contained persimmon, and/or blade, save mine, however I spied one Zing SW, and one cat in Plus Fours.

I really am perplexed that so few golfers of our generation, regardless of skill set don't play at least a Bag for all Seasons, if not full out vintage, or even modern classic for that matter.

How's the weather your way? My Missouri cousins informed me that another round of snow is on its way.

I really am perplexed that so few golfers of our generation, regardless of skill set don't play at least a Bag for all Seasons, if not full out vintage, or even modern classic for that matter.

Perhaps its some of the crowd I run across at my club, but it's not unusual to see a set of Eye 2's, i3's or TA 845's. There are still plenty of older metal woods be they Callaway Big Berthas, Titleist 975's or Taylormade Burners also in use. There are also a few cats sporting blades simply because they love the look. For the rest of us, I suspect it's the mindset that we have with respect to cars or clothes when disposable income isn't a limiting factor. You just get a new one when the old one is out-of-date or gets a few too many miles on it. It is the attraction of new and shiny and the promise of better performance that wins the day. It's important to keep up with Jones. ;)

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Tim, I'm jealous. Things look so alive and vibrant, like a perfect summer day. Here's a picture from my drive home last week. The sharpness of the ridge of low pressure was rather striking that day, and it is rather desolate and bleak, despite the sunset lighting.

664F51C3-7A02-41B3-8437-59F16949F246_zpsw1dqgok0.jpg

And yes gents, this is exactly how flat the prairies are.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Tim, I'm jealous. Things look so alive and vibrant, like a perfect summer day. Here's a picture from my drive home last week. The sharpness of the ridge of low pressure was rather striking that day, and it is rather desolate and bleak, despite the sunset lighting.

Scott, if you don't mind me saying, it looks DAMN cold in that picture!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Scott, if you don't mind me saying, it looks DAMN cold in that picture!

Looking at that pic, can't stop thinking........."Fargo".

Guess its time to get off my a** and clear the 12" out of the driveway. Perform my "man of the house" duties. The Mrs. and I are beginning to get on each others nerves. And to think, I was hitting golf balls, outside, at the LGS last Saturday. For my Southern brethren.....feel the chill.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Hey Randy,

Make all the prairie wisecracks you want. A company we deal with is actually located in the home town of Laura Inglis Wilder - drove by the house she grew up in when I visited them. And their prairie is way more rolicking than ours. Here, if your dog runs away from home, you can still it running 3 days later.

Alan, it certainly was a little cold that day - clear skies usually mean arctic high pressure system. That being said, I'd way rather have this dry cold than the damp cold you guys get off the Great Lakes. That kind of cold seeps into your bones (and can only be removed with Drambuie).

Have fun shoveling, Fella. Happy I still have teenagers who actually sort of like shoveling snow.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

No shoveling for this lad! That's a young person's game (and didn't like it even then). A heavy, wet snow. Was a load to move it even with the two-stage Husqvarna. Winter rules are in effect today, but least I've got a good lie. The Mrs. suggested that I post a snapshot to all my "internet" friends.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

For my Southern brethren.....feel the chill.

No.

I remember it well. Why do you think I moved!?!

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.