2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

The NBA basketball thread 2013-2014

MtlJeff

LeBron's legacy is absolutely dead if he goes back to Cleveland. He's going to be seen as a superstar who is an incredible talent and the best of his generation, but he packs up and leaves whenever things get tough. I wouldn't be surprised to see LeBron, Irving, and Embid in Cleveland next year. Wade is still really really good when healthy, but his knees are beginning to take over his career. Bosh on the other hand has been completely destroyed by Miami, and it pains me to see what they've turned him into.

I like what Max said about LBJ "Your telling me your the best player on the planet period, by a large margin, and you need things to be PERFECT to win, PERFECT."

I have always been and will continue to be an LBJ fan, but if he goes back to Cleveland it would be hard to have any respect for him or root for him after the way Dan Gilbert treated him when he left.

[quote name='mnplayer' timestamp='1402896007' post='9504487']
I just realized that LeBron has a losing record in the finals. I don't even know what to say about that.
[/quote]

I wouldn't worry too much about the losing record since he basically WAS the team in cleveland and this year the rest of his heat teammates decided not to show up in the finals. It just prooves again that you can't win it by yourself.

I had a feeling the spurs would win the series after they won that first game in miami. I knew for sure they were going to win yesterday when in the 1st quarter I saw bosh had a guard (parker/mills?) switched on him, he backed him down and spun to the hoop for a pretty good shot at a layup/dunk only to pass it out needlessly to someone on the wing... you need to dunk that and keep that agression going if you want to win the finals. You can't put it on the back of just one guy all the time (lebron) and hope that he'll pull you through the fire

If I were a Heat fan I would be VERY worried. The Spurs exposed them for what they actually are. This is not a "Big 3". Its a "Big 1". Wade is a non-factor, Bosh is a non-factor, and the rest of the team is mediocre at best. Its basically the same situation he had in Cleveland. Lebron and a bunch of nobodies. If the East wasn't such a wasteland, the Heat wouldn't have been nearly as hyped as they were. Its crazy to say, but Cleveland might actually be Lebron's best bet.

And damn the spurs looked good. I can see them going back to back with another title next season. The league is in shambles. The lakers/celtics are rebuilding, the pacers are only gonna get worse, the Heat will probably be dismantled, the Bulls need a lot of work, the Clippers are in turmoil (but if they can get things sorted they have a decent shot). The only team that can compete is the Thunder, and they still have to constantly deal with Westbrook injuries. The depth on that Spurs team is really incredible.

EDIT: BTW, the Spurs fans chanting the White Stripes song was awesome.

EDIT2: What was up with all the Heat guys hugging on the bench with a few minutes to go? Just me or was that really bizarre? I can't say I've ever seen that before.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
Adams Super LS Hybrid 17*
Adams SS Super Hybrid 19*
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

I hope Duncan comes back, there hasn't been any hints of retirement. The Spurs look like they could be damn good next year again. I mean the whole team will probably come back. So a lot depends on how good Duncan is, because the rest of the team should not slip at all

I have thought a lot about Duncan. I really think this win vaults him a bit. He needs to be considered as maybe the 2nd best defensive player in the history of the NBA behind Bill Russell. 14 time all NBA defense, basically guaranteed top 3 team defense with him in his 8-10 year prime.

The narrative with Duncan has always been "best PF ever"....but i don't think that's how we need to think of Duncan. His legacy should be that of Bill Russell 2.0, a very good offensive player whose true impact was about dominant defense. At the end of the day people will look at his 20-11 stats and say "so what"....but his true impact was about anchoring one of the best year-in year-out defenses of all time, while averaging 20 points

Bill Russell 2.0....quite possibly the 3rd best basketball player ever to set foot on the court....hopefully one day people will look at his 15+ year run of 50 wins every year, and 5 titles, and appreciate the greatness they saw, even if sometimes unspectacular

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='tocino' timestamp='1402927572' post='9505981']
I just realized that LeBron has a losing record in the finals. I don't even know what to say about that.
[/quote]

I wouldn't worry too much about the losing record since he basically WAS the team in cleveland and this year the rest of his heat teammates decided not to show up in the finals. It just prooves again that you can't win it by yourself.

I had a feeling the spurs would win the series after they won that first game in miami. I knew for sure they were going to win yesterday when in the 1st quarter I saw bosh had a guard (parker/mills?) switched on him, he backed him down and spun to the hoop for a pretty good shot at a layup/dunk only to pass it out needlessly to someone on the wing... you need to dunk that and keep that agression going if you want to win the finals. You can't put it on the back of just one guy all the time (lebron) and hope that he'll pull you through the fire
[/quote]

This is a trend, though. Lebron's teammates always seem to fail to show up. MJ's teammates showed up ... Partly because he gave them no choice.

Driver: Titleist TS3, 8.5°

2 Wood: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Cleveland UHX, 20°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Bettinardi inovai 6.0 slant neck, 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1402964936' post='9510111']
I hope Duncan comes back, there hasn't been any hints of retirement. The Spurs look like they could be damn good next year again. I mean the whole team will probably come back. So a lot depends on how good Duncan is, because the rest of the team should not slip at all

I have thought a lot about Duncan. I really think this win vaults him a bit. He needs to be considered as maybe the 2nd best defensive player in the history of the NBA behind Bill Russell. 14 time all NBA defense, basically guaranteed top 3 team defense with him in his 8-10 year prime.

The narrative with Duncan has always been "best PF ever"....but i don't think that's how we need to think of Duncan. His legacy should be that of Bill Russell 2.0, a very good offensive player whose true impact was about dominant defense. At the end of the day people will look at his 20-11 stats and say "so what"....but his true impact was about anchoring one of the best year-in year-out defenses of all time, while averaging 20 points

Bill Russell 2.0....quite possibly the 3rd best basketball player ever to set foot on the court....hopefully one day people will look at his 15+ year run of 50 wins every year, and 5 titles, and appreciate the greatness they saw, even if sometimes unspectacular
[/quote]

Imagine how good they'll be if Duncan doesn't slip much and Leonard continues to feature more in the offense like he did the last 3 games of the finals. You literally cannot double or sag off of anybody because their entire team is good enough to beat you.

[quote name='tatertot' timestamp='1402968262' post='9510661']
[/quote]

[/quote]

This is a trend, though. Lebron's teammates always seem to fail to show up. MJ's teammates showed up ... Partly because he gave them no choice.
[/quote]

How does one do that? "Guys if you don't show up I will murder you and your families." - MJ?

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1403007894' post='9513153']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

How does one do that? "Guys if you don't show up I will murder you and your families." - MJ?
[/quote]

I don't know ... but guys like Jordan, Bird and Johnson always got their teammates to play to the best of their abilities. They "make" their teammates better. As many assists as James gets, I don't get that feeling that he makes his teammates better.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Kerr he punched in the face. Or he wouldn't pass them the ball or have them cut from the team.

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

[quote name='mnplayer' timestamp='1402970445' post='9511045']

[/quote]

Imagine how good they'll be if Duncan doesn't slip much and Leonard continues to feature more in the offense like he did the last 3 games of the finals. You literally cannot double or sag off of anybody because their entire team is good enough to beat you.
[/quote]

my guess is the Mills-Green-Leonard-Diaw-Splitter lineup will see a ton of time next year.

Duncan averaged 28 minutes a game this year and i believe he'll come back, but given Diaw's play it would not surprise me to see him play 25 minutes a game. Parker will also likely play a lot less minutes as he's getting into the 32-33 range age wise, and Pop's MO is to start prolonging these guys at this point. Plus Mills proved he can carry the load too for stretches

After the finals last year, in our last thread i said that it wouldn't surprise me if the Spurs contended again when many said that was their last run. The fact is the Spurs have so much depth, and rely on stars less then most. I think they'll probably rest guys a lot next year but still win 56-60 games or so. Another title should not be a surprise. They are still build that even a slight regression from Manu and Duncan will not hurt them THAT much

Leonard will eventually need to play a bigger role though. Numbers aren't a Spurs thing....but they should be trying to get Leonard 20 ppg next year. Really, this needs to start being more and more "his" team

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Jordan's teammates probably didn't get enough credit. Scottie Pippen is arguably the best defensive small forward in NBA history, and one of the best overall defenders in NBA history. In his prime Pippen basically averaged 20-8-6 while being one of the best defensive players ever. You could reasonably argue he's the most underrated player to ever play basketball.

not exactly a bad running mate. And Horace Grant was very solid as was Rodman.

Guys like Steve Kerr struggled to gain Jordan's acceptance but eventually did. But it took a certain kind of guy to be able to play with him

I'm not sure Jordan is the model for how to inspire teammates. A lot of guys could not play with him. There's a famous story about Clyde Drexler during the olympics where Jordan basically tried to destroy him, to the point that Drexler was scared to say anything. He even one day IIRC accidently brought 2 shoes for the same foot and then tried to wear them rather then admit it, because he was worried Jordan would humiliate him for it in front of everyone.

Jordan was basically psychotic. He ruined as many teammates as he developped

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1403054886' post='9519627']
[quote name='mnplayer' timestamp='1402970445' post='9511045']

[/quote]

quote]

[/quote]

my guess is the Mills-Green-Leonard-Diaw-Splitter lineup will see a ton of time next year.

Duncan averaged 28 minutes a game this year and i believe he'll come back, but given Diaw's play it would not surprise me to see him play 25 minutes a game. Parker will also likely play a lot less minutes as he's getting into the 32-33 range age wise, and Pop's MO is to start prolonging these guys at this point. Plus Mills proved he can carry the load too for stretches

After the finals last year, in our last thread i said that it wouldn't surprise me if the Spurs contended again when many said that was their last run. The fact is the Spurs have so much depth, and rely on stars less then most. I think they'll probably rest guys a lot next year but still win 56-60 games or so. Another title should not be a surprise. They are still build that even a slight regression from Manu and Duncan will not hurt them THAT much

Leonard will eventually need to play a bigger role though. Numbers aren't a Spurs thing....but they should be trying to get Leonard 20 ppg next year. Really, this needs to start being more and more "his" team
[/quote]

Is Mills a free agent next year? If so, somebody will offer him starter money. Wonder if will be satisfied as the Spurs 7th man, at best.

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1403055317' post='9519693']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Jordan's teammates probably didn't get enough credit. Scottie Pippen is arguably the best defensive small forward in NBA history, and one of the best overall defenders in NBA history. In his prime Pippen basically averaged 20-8-6 while being one of the best defensive players ever. You could reasonably argue he's the most underrated player to ever play basketball.

not exactly a bad running mate. And Horace Grant was very solid as was Rodman.

Guys like Steve Kerr struggled to gain Jordan's acceptance but eventually did. But it took a certain kind of guy to be able to play with him

I'm not sure Jordan is the model for how to inspire teammates. A lot of guys could not play with him. There's a famous story about Clyde Drexler during the olympics where Jordan basically tried to destroy him, to the point that Drexler was scared to say anything. He even one day IIRC accidently brought 2 shoes for the same foot and then tried to wear them rather then admit it, because he was worried Jordan would humiliate him for it in front of everyone.

Jordan was basically psychotic. He ruined as many teammates as he developped
[/quote]

Nobody is ever going to accuse MJ of being nice. You either produced for him, or you left. Can't see him letting Wade, Bosh and Allen disappear like they did for Lebron.

And maybe Lebron just doesn't want to be that big of jerk. Can't really blame him.

Their are different ways to be a good leader. Some methods don't include being everyone's friend all the time. LeBrons method is the friend way, Kobe and MJs methods are different. They are all effective. Being a good teammate and good leader does not mean you always get along with everyone. Just because LBJ and Duncan avoid confrontation with their teammates and are very likable does not mean they are better teammates. Being a good teammate is not a popularity contest. Jordan bullying Clyde tells me more about Jordan's competitive spirit and willingness to break Clyde outside of the NBA than it tells me about MJ being a bad teammate to someone that is not his teammate.

I'm a hugeee Miami fan and I hated to see how the Spurs just blew the Heat away. I go to the Miami-Pelicans game every time they come to New Orleans. This year was an eye opener. Along with Bosh not being able to guard and lock down the paint and Wade's bad knees; Miami needs a better point guard. Chalmers is to inconsistent and during the last leg of the playoffs hes become a drag. I like how Cole fills the roll but I really think Miami could use the help of Kyle Lowery or Eric Bledsoe.

So serious question: If you were starting an NBA team today and could have Phil Jackson or Greg Popovich, who would you take?

Phil has 11 titles to Pop's 6 so there's that.

Pop's teams play some of the most unselfish offensive and best defensive basketball that I've ever seen. It's beautiful to watch.

At this point, I think it's a toss up. Living in Texas (though not a Spurs fan), I'm probably taking Pop. I just like the guy.. A lot.

What do you all think?

Titleist TSi3 8* // TENSEI 1K Black 65s

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15* // Kai'li 80x
Taylormade SLDR 17* Rescue // Speeder 9.3s
Taylormade SLDR 19* Rescue // Matrix Black Tie 95s
Srixon ZX5 4-PW // Nippon Modus 120s
50* & 56* Taylormade MG3 // Tour Issue S-200
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

tatertot, my guess is that Mills will be back next year. I don't think someone will offer him a [i]ridiculous [/i]contract, and my guess is the Spurs will play him a lot more minutes next year in part to preserve Parker and he knows that. My guess is no one leaves the Spurs

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='baseballfrk8998' timestamp='1403114622' post='9525469']
So serious question: If you were starting an NBA team today and could have Phil Jackson or Greg Popovich, who would you take?

Pop's teams play some of the most unselfish offensive and best defensive basketball that I've ever seen. It's beautiful to watch.

At this point, I think it's a toss up. Living in Texas (though not a Spurs fan), I'm probably taking Pop. I just like the guy.. A lot.

What do you all think?
[/quote]

I don't know how to answer that to be honest. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Phil has more titles, but has always had [i]very [/i]talented teams. Pop stuck with the Spurs even when it seemed like they were on the decline, and got them another ring. 11 titles is crazy....but so is 16 straight years of 50+ wins with the same team

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

So the next month or so should be very interesting

Given the blowout finals, it wouldn't surprise me to see Lebron leave Miami. Of course it wouldn't surprise me if they took less money and tried to recruit someone else to do the same. I might have a hard time seeing Carmelo sacrifice so much on his last major contract, but you never know how badly he wants to finally win a championship. I think if a Kevin Love trade happens to a significant team they would also be a player for Lebron. There's just a lot of potential for stuff to happen. This summer should be a real test of how close these guys are in Miami. I don't know if i see Wade taking a lot less money, he has deflected the question a lot

I'm interested to see if OKC does anything, they have the 21st and 28th picks i think, plus some moderately appealing young talent. I think it should be obvious to them they need another piece. Will they try and move up for a Gary Harris, Nik Stauskas, Doug Mcdermott type? Will they trade picks for an Afflalo type?

What will vets like Gasol and Pierce do? Will they pull a Ray Allen and sign somewhere for way less?

Will Carmelo surprise and sign with someone like Chicago or Washington? Teams that have pieces in place but will still allow him to score a lot?

should be a good summer. The blowout finals make lead to more movement this year then next.

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1403142630' post='9528785']

What do you all think?
[/quote]

I don't know how to answer that to be honest. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Phil has more titles, but has always had [i]very [/i]talented teams. Pop stuck with the Spurs even when it seemed like they were on the decline, and got them another ring. 11 titles is crazy....but so is 16 straight years of 50+ wins with the same team
[/quote]

See, we are on pretty much the same page, which is why I think it's pretty much a toss up. It's hard to argue against 11 titles, but Jackson had Jordan [b]and[/b] Pippen with Chicago and Kobe and Shaq for a period of time in LA.

Popovich has had his fair share of talent too, which also can't be disregarded. What impresses so much about Pop's teams are the role players and the chemistry between the entire team. I've never seen a coach get so much out of bench players. I mean SA's bench, with Pop coaching them, could have been a 4 seed in the East this season!

I'm also excited about the Summer.. My question is this: Does Miami even win 2 games with Carmelo on that team? While Wade and Bosh weren't great offensively, their problems were on the defensive end for sure. They couldn't stop SA at all for most of the series. I feel that if they could add a good point guard (Lowry?) and play some defense, they could be right there again next year.

I've seen numerous people jump on LeBron since the series ended, but there wasn't a whole lot more he could have done for Miami. He averaged something like 28-7-4 while shooting 57% (51% from 3). I'm pretty sure the rest of the team was a combined 51-379 from the field.

I wonder if Chicago could make a play for LeBron? It'd be really unpopular for LeBron's legacy, but does he even care? If Rose was able to come back healthy and you add LeBron to that team, you could pretty much pencil them into the finals next season..

i'm surprised Washington isn't being discussed more as a free agent hot spot. They have cap space if they renounce Gortat and Ariza, and have Beal and Wall on the roster along with Nene. They could potentially sign Gortat and Anthony and avoid the luxury tax

I mean, Washington's a decent market, and has 2 young stars....i don't get it

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1403146035' post='9529161']
i'm surprised Washington isn't being discussed more as a free agent hot spot. They have cap space if they renounce Gortat and Ariza, and have Beal and Wall on the roster along with Nene. They could potentially sign Gortat and Anthony and avoid the luxury tax

I mean, Washington's a decent market, and has 2 young stars....i don't get it
[/quote]

And for LeBron, you'd think that would probably be much more appealing than Chicago (Jordan).

I'm still not sold on him leaving Miami, however.

The Carmelo situation as well as the Love situation will be interesting. I'm excited to see what all is going to happen (or not happen) this summer.

If the NBA has nothing else going for it, NBA free agency is much more fun than free agency in any other sport!

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1403142630' post='9528785']

What do you all think?
[/quote]

[/quote]

If I want my coach to also draft and "build" the team then I would take Pop unless Phil proves otherwise in NY and I don't think he will. If I want to have someone that can manage egos and talent I would take Phil. X and O's they are pretty much a wash IMO.

[quote name='mnplayer' timestamp='1403151449' post='9529727']
Maybe I'm crazy, but doesn't Cleveland trading the 1st pick and some bad contracts/players they don't want for Love make the most sense to get LeBron? I really think it'd be difficult to turn down playing with Kyrie and Love, obviously if they have to blow the team up to do so it isn't as appealing.
[/quote]

Do you think Love would sign an extension with Cleveland? If there is no guarantee that he will and you are Cleveland would you make that deal?

I don't think LeBron goes back to Cleveland after the way Dan Gilbert acted, I certainly hope he doesn't.

How quickly we forget...

[quote]Dear Cleveland, All Of Northeast Ohio and Cleveland Cavaliers Supporters Wherever You May Be Tonight;

As you now know, our former hero, who grew up in the very region that he deserted this evening, is no longer a Cleveland Cavalier.

This was announced with a several day, narcissistic, self-promotional build-up culminating with a national TV special of his "decision" unlike anything ever "witnessed" in the history of sports and probably the history of entertainment.

Clearly, this is bitterly disappointing to all of us.

The good news is that the ownership team and the rest of the hard-working, loyal, and driven staff over here at your hometown Cavaliers have not betrayed you nor NEVER will betray you.

There is so much more to tell you about the events of the recent past and our more than exciting future. Over the next several days and weeks, we will be communicating much of that to you.

You simply don't deserve this kind of cowardly betrayal.

You have given so much and deserve so much more.

In the meantime, I want to make one statement to you tonight:

"I PERSONALLY GUARANTEE THAT THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS WILL WIN AN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP BEFORE THE SELF-TITLED FORMER ‘KING’ WINS ONE"

You can take it to the bank.

If you thought we were motivated before tonight to bring the hardware to Cleveland, I can tell you that this shameful display of selfishness and betrayal by one of our very own has shifted our "motivation" to previously unknown and previously never experienced levels.

Some people think they should go to heaven but NOT have to die to get there.

Sorry, but that's simply not how it works.

This shocking act of disloyalty from our home grown "chosen one" sends the exact opposite lesson of what we would want our children to learn. And "who" we would want them to grow-up to become.

But the good news is that this heartless and callous action can only serve as the antidote to the so-called "curse" on Cleveland, Ohio.

The self-declared former "King" will be taking the "curse" with him down south. And until he does "right" by Cleveland and Ohio, James (and the town where he plays) will unfortunately own this dreaded spell and bad karma.

Just watch.

Sleep well, Cleveland.

Tomorrow is a new and much brighter day....

I PROMISE you that our energy, focus, capital, knowledge and experience will be directed at one thing and one thing only:

DELIVERING YOU the championship you have long deserved and is long overdue....

Dan Gilbert
Majority Owner
Cleveland Cavaliers[/quote]

I love how heat fans are now saying lebron has no help in MIA because they lost the finals. lol After the repeat they added better players! And with the immense amounts of pure talent that is on that team ........

And I really thought a team superstar is bring the level of play on his team up and will his team to a victory.