2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

The NBA basketball thread 2013-2014

MtlJeff

yeah i understand, you gotta do what you gotta do. It's kind of like the Wizards re-signing Ariza and Gortat to big deals. Everyone knows it's not necessarily the "right" thing to do, but they have to do it because their fans won't tolerate going backwards and these guys are good role players. But Gortat will be making 12M at 35 years old

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I think the Lakers are looking at it as one piece at a time and Melo can certainly be "A" piece to a very competitive team for years. He's been pretty healthy and his style is the type that might keep him healthy. Chances are he signs with the Knicks anyways. I would say right now it's 60% Knicks and 10% to each other team.

Am I the only one that really likes the Hawes signing by LAC? And at 4 years 23 mil, it almost seems like highway robbery when you consider some of the ridiculous contracts out there..

The guy is solid and will likely fill in when DJ or BG need a break. I think it's a fantastic move by LAC.

Titleist TSi3 8* // TENSEI 1K Black 65s

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15* // Kai'li 80x
Taylormade SLDR 17* Rescue // Speeder 9.3s
Taylormade SLDR 19* Rescue // Matrix Black Tie 95s
Srixon ZX5 4-PW // Nippon Modus 120s
50* & 56* Taylormade MG3 // Tour Issue S-200
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Definitely a good pickup for LAC considering that Jordan can't play in 4th quarters. LAC have been looking for a consistent reserve big man for a while now. I wonder what it means for Jordan's upcoming contract.

Stephen A was just on Sports Center saying that if Bosh goes to Houston than Carmelo and LBJ will go to Miami.

The reports say that Melo might come to LA. The reality is that we would probably be better off if that didnt happen. Ill personally say though, that Melo/Kobe will probably be historically good. Im talking insanity. The problem would come 2-3 years from now. The other problem is that the Lakers dont accept 2-3 year rebuilding. Its every year or bust. Id still like to see Melo here for the Kobe/Melo/Randle combo (since I have a short memory span. Also keep in mind that I rate a healthy footed Randle as a top 3 draft pick (we'll see, fingers crossed).

And on a side note, I have absolutely no clue what is going on in Miami. Im not sure I've ever been this confused. Best bet would be for Miami to tell Wade to pound sand and sign Lebron and Bosh (if they want him). Sad and shameful, but business is business. Wade is singlehandedly holding back the franchise with his former contract or current demands. Lebron deserves the max, Bosh should get a sweet deal considering the options, and Wade is literally a nostalgic pick and nothing more.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
Adams Super LS Hybrid 17*
Adams SS Super Hybrid 19*
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

It seems like Melo to LA, Lebron to Cleveland, and Bosh to Houston could all happen. I think Melo is a great fit in LA. Getting Melo and Isaiah Thomas(which might actually happen), offloading Nash and keeping Pau would be a great offseason for LA. Then bring back Marshall, Young, and Sacre and this could be a very good team.

With each passing day i just think more and more that Houston is getting hoisted on their own petard. They've had an excellent run of success with trades/free agents, and have drafted well, resulting in 2 gems in Terrence Jones and Chandler Parsons. Now they keep going after a 3rd big name to pay a max deal to

Word is they offered Chris Bosh 4yrs 90m+

I don't understand, Bosh is 30 and while i am a fan, he has had some poor performances in the finals. He also was part of a team that just lost to the Spurs, and that featured Lebron. Howard and Harden are not Lebron. With this move the Rockets would be capped out for 3 years, Jones wouldn't play big minutes or would be traded, Parsons would be let go. Lin would be traded

Is that team good enough? I don't think so. Would you rather have Jones on a rookie deal and Parsons at 10M....or Bosh at 22M????

I'd rather Parsons/Jones and trying to sign more defense/role players like Luol Deng....not capping myself out.

I don't think Bosh/Howard/Harden even moves the Rockets up. I still think SA/OKC/LAC are better

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

As crazy as it is, i feel like Kyle Lowry was the domino that set this whole offseason on crazy pills. If he goes to Miami, as was rumored, Lebron probably goes back and Bosh/Wade take less to stay as that is a surefire contender

Now they are panic signing Mcroberts and Granger (who is too washed up to be considered washed up) and might not have room to sign Gasol or Deng. Is that team good enough to be worthy of Lebron's service (insert snickering tone)?

I fear another offseason where Lebron looks like a major A-hole. Rumor is Bosh and Wade don't really know what he is thinking. Cleveland seems to be in play. Dallas and Chicago would seem to be the most surefire bets to win a title right away given their veteran talent and coaching. The only happy ending would seem to be Cleveland but i think that's a big step (Kyrie doesn't play defense and Lebron knows this, Wiggins is a rookie, Bennett still uncertain etc), as Lebron doesn't want to waste years and Cleveland isn't title ready without more additions. Dallas or Chicago make him look like a pure mercenary, or worse, a bit of a coward.

Very interesting offseason, that kind of came out of nowhere....thanks to Kyle Lowry

edit*** the first few paragraphs are a great simplification of the challenges the Heat face trying to lure free agents, and re-sign their own guys, given Lebron's temporary indecisiveness

[url="http://grantland.com/the-triangle/remember-when-lebron-stopped-the-nba-offseason/"]http://grantland.com...-nba-offseason/[/url]

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1404772312' post='9655007']
With each passing day i just think more and more that Houston is getting hoisted on their own petard. They've had an excellent run of success with trades/free agents, and have drafted well, resulting in 2 gems in Terrence Jones and Chandler Parsons. Now they keep going after a 3rd big name to pay a max deal to

I don't understand, Bosh is 30 and while i am a fan, he has had some poor performances in the finals. He also was part of a team that just lost to the Spurs, and that featured Lebron. Howard and Harden are not Lebron. With this move the Rockets would be capped out for 3 years, Jones wouldn't play big minutes or would be traded, Parsons would be let go. Lin would be traded

Is that team good enough? I don't think so. Would you rather have Jones on a rookie deal and Parsons at 10M....or Bosh at 22M????

I'd rather Parsons/Jones and trying to sign more defense/role players like Luol Deng....not capping myself out.

I don't think Bosh/Howard/Harden even moves the Rockets up. I still think SA/OKC/LAC are better
[/quote]

Houston can keep Parsons even if they sign Bosh thanks to the Bird rule, right? I'm not too familiar with it, but it seems like it would apply in this situation.

[quote name='baseballfrk8998' timestamp='1404782410' post='9656181']
[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1404772312' post='9655007']

[/quote]

Houston can keep Parsons even if they sign Bosh thanks to the Bird rule, right? I'm not too familiar with it, but it seems like it would apply in this situation.
[/quote]

does not excuse them from the luxury tax, only from the soft salary cap unless i am mistaken

If they are paying Bosh 23M, Howard 22M and Harden 15M....there's no way they can keep Parsons at around 8-10M which he will surely be offered. That would put them close to 70M for 4 players. The luxury tax is 77M this year. They could not fill out a roster without exceeding it, plus given the length of the assumed Bosh contract, and that Harden/Howard have 3 years left....they would almost certainly pay the repeater tax too eventually, which essentially makes it impossible for a team to make money

Parsons is a goner if they sign Bosh, without question....well unless he signs for like 2-3M

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

just to give you an idea, they owe Jones/Motiejunas/Casspi/Beverley/Isaiah Canaan and some bloke named Robert Covington close to 7M next season combined.

Assuming they sign Bosh, and keep Parsons at 8-10M, they would have to sign a few more players at the league minimum (undrafted rookies maybe) to avoid the tax, except then they couldn't afford the raises they owe Jones, Beverley and Motiejunas the following year without going into the luxury tax

Even if they want to go that route, all it takes is someone offering Parsons 11-12M and you can forget the whole thing

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Last thing for tonight....A team to really watch this offseason (maybe the most intriguing of the non Miami genre) is the Sacramento Kings. They have a new owner, and have been rumored to be involved in many trade discussions. It is widely reported that they want Rajon Rondo, and with Boston not getting Love they maybe will look to move him. Detroit also seems to want to move Josh Smith since he's basically been a disaster as a small forward and is owed 14M a year, and the rumor is the team might prefer moving forward with Greg Monroe and Drummond if they can trade Smith

Smith and Rondo are good friends who've known each a long time. The Kings have been rumored to be in talks with the Pistons about Smith and the Celtics about Rondo. Rudy Gay's resurgent play last season (and the fact that he is expiring) make him a more movable piece then ever, especially as salary in a Rondo or Pistons deal for example (if you're the Pistons you'd take Gay knowing worst case he's gone in a year right? Smith is signed for 3 more years and the Pistons have the room). The Kings can also dangle Ben Mclemore (and maybe an Isaiah Thomas sign-and-trade) to try to acquire Rondo now that they've drafted Stauskas

Not crazy to think the Kings could have Rondo-Smith-Cousins with Nik Stauskas

Not sure what to make of that team, but i'd definitely watch them, and it seems they might be pretty good

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Thanks for the explanation Jeff. That made a lot of sense.

I have said it numerous times and I'll say it again, LBJ is not going to Cleveland. At least now.... He needs chips and his best chance is in Miami with players and a front office that has won titles before. Cleveland is sexy with the young talent but they are unproven and with a rookie head coach, I don't see it yet. I could see him taking a one year deal to see how Cleveland does this year and then possible moving back in the future depending on how a lot of things play out.

The longer the Melo decision lingers makes me think he is going to LA. "Reportedly" Melo, Pau and Kobe had dinner together last night. I think they are planning something or recruiting someone. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. I really wish Kobe took 15 mil so we could be in play for Bron and Melo. I defended his contract before and I was wrong. I understand why he got it, looking back I think it was a knee jerk decision.

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1404786597' post='9656833']
Last thing for tonight....A team to really watch this offseason (maybe the most intriguing of the non Miami genre) is the Sacramento Kings. They have a new owner, and have been rumored to be involved in many trade discussions. It is widely reported that they want Rajon Rondo, and with Boston not getting Love they maybe will look to move him. Detroit also seems to want to move Josh Smith since he's basically been a disaster as a small forward and is owed 14M a year, and the rumor is the team might prefer moving forward with Greg Monroe and Drummond if they can trade Smith

Smith and Rondo are good friends who've known each a long time. The Kings have been rumored to be in talks with the Pistons about Smith and the Celtics about Rondo. Rudy Gay's resurgent play last season (and the fact that he is expiring) make him a more movable piece then ever, especially as salary in a Rondo or Pistons deal for example (if you're the Pistons you'd take Gay knowing worst case he's gone in a year right? Smith is signed for 3 more years and the Pistons have the room). The Kings can also dangle Ben Mclemore (and maybe an Isaiah Thomas sign-and-trade) to try to acquire Rondo now that they've drafted Stauskas

Not crazy to think the Kings could have Rondo-Smith-Cousins with Nik Stauskas

Not sure what to make of that team, but i'd definitely watch them, and it seems they might be pretty good
[/quote]

Id have never thought of that scenario myself, but looking at the end product, it seems very mediocre to me, with too much future $$ to Smith as on top of everything. And then Rondo takes off after the season is over and they're left high and dry.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1404796673' post='9657717']
I have said it numerous times and I'll say it again, LBJ is not going to Cleveland. At least now.... He needs chips and his best chance is in Miami with players and a front office that has won titles before. Cleveland is sexy with the young talent but they are unproven and with a rookie head coach, I don't see it yet. I could see him taking a one year deal to see how Cleveland does this year and then possible moving back in the future depending on how a lot of things play out.

The longer the Melo decision lingers makes me think he is going to LA. "Reportedly" Melo, Pau and Kobe had dinner together last night. I think they are planning something or recruiting someone. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. I really wish Kobe took 15 mil so we could be in play for Bron and Melo. I defended his contract before and I was wrong. I understand why he got it, looking back I think it was a knee jerk decision.
[/quote]

(Super fast response because we posted at the same time...I swear I'm not stalking you)...

The only way I see Lebron staying and thriving in Miami is if the dump Wade. Although they absolutely should, I can't see them doing that for fear of ruining their rep for future deals.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

I think Riley will work something out with Wade and give him extra years or a deal with the team like Mourning has. I think those two already have an understanding in place, otherwise why would Wade have opted out? He knows that he's not getting anything near what he opted out of anywhere.

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1404797390' post='9657753']
I think Riley will work something out with Wade and give him extra years or a deal with the team like Mourning has. I think those two already have an understanding in place, otherwise why would Wade have opted out? He knows that he's not getting anything near what he opted out of anywhere.
[/quote]

Thats whats so bizarre to me. Im really beginning to feel like Wade got strung along and might get completely screwed over when the dust settles.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

[/quote]

See... I don't think its crazy to think LeBron might come back to Cleveland. Like you said before, its not like Miami is a guarantee either.... and over the next let's say 3-4 years I like the Cavs chances to win a title every bit as much as the Heat. Wade has been pretty average for several years and only declining.... I like Bosh but they'll need more breaks to win it all. I suppose at the end of the day, they weren't that far away from winning it 3 times in a row... and just ran into a buzz saw.

Kyrie, Wiggins, LeBron, Thompson, Varejao... plus Waiters... is a decent squad but I think they'll need another piece somewhere to get it done. BUT, any team LeBron goes to becomes an instant title contender. They were pretty competitive every year with a much worse roster before "The Decision".... man, the next month is gonna be pretty interesting.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1404838282' post='9660025']

[/quote]

See... I don't think its crazy to think LeBron might come back to Cleveland. Like you said before, its not like Miami is a guarantee either.... and over the next let's say 3-4 years I like the Cavs chances to win a title every bit as much as the Heat. Wade has been pretty average for several years and only declining.... I like Bosh but they'll need more breaks to win it all. I suppose at the end of the day, they weren't that far away from winning it 3 times in a row... and just ran into a buzz saw.

Kyrie, Wiggins, LeBron, Thompson, Varejao... plus Waiters... is a decent squad but I think they'll need another piece somewhere to get it done. BUT, any team LeBron goes to becomes an instant title contender. They were pretty competitive every year with a much worse roster before "The Decision".... man, the next month is gonna be pretty interesting.
[/quote]

I think they would have to trade one or two of those guys to make room for LBJ and his max contract. Cleveland is a good fit "if" Wiggins pans out, Kyrie stays healthy and the new coach can adapt. These are three big speculations compared to proven winners in Miami "if" Riley (arguably the best exec in the NBA) can add a few pieces. Also the Dan Gilbert letter has to play a role in this, at least I hope it does. I am a big fan of LBJ and it would be hard to remain his fan if DG did not come out into public and kiss some major LBJ a**. I can't believe DG kept that letter on the teams website for the last four years, that was something that he should be ashamed of, not proud of.

I have a serious question for you as a Heat fan, if LBJ goes back to Cleveland are you no longer a Heat fan and now a Cavs fan?

At the very least, the Cavs should be at least as competitive as anything Miami is able to put together. The biggest thing is that Lebron now has the chance to redeem himself and tie up all the loose ends that have tainted his career thus far. Plus you've got the whole Manziel angle. This would be the most exciting time for Cleveland sports ever. Cavs seem like a no brainer to me.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

[quote name='RJRJRJ' timestamp='1404844614' post='9660777']
At the very least, the Cavs should be at least as competitive as anything Miami is able to put together. The biggest thing is that Lebron now has the chance to redeem himself and tie up all the loose ends that have tainted his career thus far. Plus you've got the whole Manziel angle. This would be the most exciting time for Cleveland sports ever. Cavs seem like a no brainer to me.
[/quote]

How do you feel about Dan Gilbert's letter and him leaving it up for 4 years?

The Heat were actually in the top 10 in home attendance before LBJ and Bosh got to town. I always find it interesting when everyone assumes that Heat fans are bandwagoners.

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1404846471' post='9660953']
[/quote]

[/quote]

The guy clearly has emotional issues, but I'm sure both he and Lebron want to bury the hatchet. They have a chance to erase all of the bad history and publicity.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

[quote name='RJRJRJ' timestamp='1404854821' post='9661905']
[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1404846471' post='9660953']
[/quote]

[/quote]

The guy clearly has emotional issues, but I'm sure both he and Lebron want to bury the hatchet. They have a chance to erase all of the bad history and publicity.
[/quote]

I think LeBron should call a press conference for Quicken Loans Arena. Have Gilbert and the entire Cavs on the floor with him. Fill the stands with 20,000 wild fans. ESPN film the whole thing.

And then say he's taking his talents back to South Beach.

Driver #1: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Driver #2: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Gauge G2 Big Dog, 35"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

I think LeBron should call a press conference for Quicken Loans Arena. Have Gilbert and the entire Cavs on the floor with him. Fill the stands with 20,000 wild fans. ESPN film the whole thing.

And then say he's taking his talents back to South Beach.

falling-down-stairs-like-a-boss_185.gif

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1404842606' post='9660527']
[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1404838282' post='9660025']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think they would have to trade one or two of those guys to make room for LBJ and his max contract. Cleveland is a good fit "if" Wiggins pans out, Kyrie stays healthy and the new coach can adapt. These are three big speculations compared to proven winners in Miami "if" Riley (arguably the best exec in the NBA) can add a few pieces. Also the Dan Gilbert letter has to play a role in this, at least I hope it does. I am a big fan of LBJ and it would be hard to remain his fan if DG did not come out into public and kiss some major LBJ a**. I can't believe DG kept that letter on the teams website for the last four years, that was something that he should be ashamed of, not proud of.

I have a serious question for you as a Heat fan, if LBJ goes back to Cleveland are you no longer a Heat fan and now a Cavs fan?
[/quote]

I am a Cavs fan... I've been a Cavs fan since I was a little kid. My dad worked at Cedar Point when he was alive and he used to get tickets at work all the time and we used to go to probably 10 games every year when I was a kid. I still go to 3-4 games every year and consider myself a big Cavs fan. When LeBron came to Cleveland it was a lot more lively and we made a lot more time to watch every game. I was in college then so we drank, went out and had fun no matter what day the game was on.

I'm not necessarily a Heat fan-- I'm a HUGE LeBron fan.... So when the Cavs are done for the year (which hasn't been too long into the season aside from this year when they were hanging onto the #9 seed with a low .400 winning %) I root for LeBron's team to win.... Which just happens to be the Heat.

I'm from a small own about 45 minutes from Cleveland.... I grew up going to a couple of the same parties that LeBron went to when I was 15-17 years old. This is a story/explanation for another time..... I've met several times and he was a nice kid then.... So I've rooted for him ever since.

If he goes to the Cavs then I will remain a Cavs fan. Wherever he goes I will also like and root for them when the Cavs are not good .

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1404870295' post='9663443']
That makes sense.... I get a feeling that a lot of the current Heat fans are more less LBJ fans. Hopefully he will be a Laker one day so we can all unite.
[/quote]

I'm one of those guys and don't have a problem admitting it. I'm a huge LeBron fan. I just enjoy watching him play. Never seen him play in person, but it is on my bucket list. Had a chance to go to one of the Finals games in Miami this year, but something came up. With that said, I don't want him to come to the Lakers. lol Never been a Kobe fan. His best chances at winning championships would be to stay in the East, just my opinion. Maybe Bosh leaves, and Carmelo comes to the Heat.

If I were Pat Riley and Bosh decided to leave, I would not sign Carmelo. I would try and get a Gasol/Stephenson or a Gasol/Parsons or something similar. I think the players you can get with Carmelo or Bosh money is better than having just a Carmelo or Bosh.

Hey guys, don't post too much however I just wanted to share my opinion.

Carmelo staying with the Knicks makes no sense financially to me. He's already opted out of his contract so why stay now? He could of finished his contract, made an extra 20-30 million and resigned a max deal with the Knicks. He isn't going to win a ring on the Knicks either. To me, he just lost 20-30 million dollars as this will be the last max deal he signs for the rest of his career now when he could of signed it next year. My opinion now is that he's leaving New York. Not many NBA stars drop twenty million dollars for absolutely no reason at all. I mean he could of signed a max contract NEXT year worth something like 130 million dollars.

Everything Carmelo has said hasn't matched up with his actions. He wants to win a ring and be on a contending team? That sure isn't the Lakers or Knicks! Obviously he isn't going to the Heat as the Knicks vs Heat have bad blood. Why isn't he going to Houston though? Honestly I think he's going to the Lakers.

Finally here is how I view the Heat's situation. Bosh was offered a max contract in Houston. They are a VERY good team already and adding Bosh would make them better. Bosh will likely leave to take that max contract while still playing for a championship contending team while making the most money he can. Dwayne Wade will retire in Miami, no questions asked. He's going to take a pay cut and opted out of his contract because he believes Lebron will stay and play in Miami. Lebron isn't going to Cleveland. Unfortunately he has bad blood with their owner. He also prefers Pat Riley, Spolestra and the Arison's. In conclusion I believe Lebron will take a max contract in Miami, Wade will take a pay cut, Bosh will go to Houston and Miami will pick up two other role players with the money Bosh was being paid.