2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

The NBA basketball thread 2013-2014

MtlJeff

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1405036704' post='9676833']
this has just been a fascinating offseason regardless of what happens now though....

Imagine Lebron goes to Cleveland....what does Bosh do? What if Miami, knowing Bosh loves the city, offers the max contract to Bosh now if Lebron leaves? They would still have room to throw money at Luol Deng too to replace James....Does Miami end up with Napier-Wade-Deng-Bosh-McBob. Does Bosh still stay in Miami? All reports are that he loves the city, and some say he might not be that crazy about going back to Texas

Isn't that still a 4-5 seed in the East? What if Cleveland-Miami play each other in the playoffs?
[/quote]

Napier is way overrated. Only reason Miami took him was to try and keep LeBron. I think Miami paid McBob too much money.

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1405042692' post='9677329']
They still need shooters, if you added some deadly shooters it could a tremendous team assuming Wiggins is what we think he is and Kyrie stays healthy (which he probably will). They would not need superstars or anything like that just solid, dependable shooters like Kyle Korver, Patty Mills, Danny Green, Jodie Meeks (minus 10 million). But yeah I agree that dealing Wiggins could potentially be a huge mistake.

I wonder what Houston is going to do now with Parsons? They could have had him for 900K right? And now a S&T is off the table right? If LeBron waits until after the WC and Houston is forced to pickup Parsons and then LeBron picks Cleveland, than Bosh might test the open market. Houston would no longer have room, there would only be a few teams left. I wonder if the Lakers and Miami would offer a max contract? I would think not being that he is more of a really good role player than a centerpiece.

Jeff- if you had to offer a max to either Melo or Bosh and they were the first player on your roster, who are you taking?
[/quote]

Oh I pray we dont get Bosh at a max deal. That would be suicidal for years to come.

And I'm not Jeff, but Melo, no doubt. Bosh is a role player; and a decent one at that. 3 years ago and this would be a dilemma. Not anymore though.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
Adams Super LS Hybrid 17*
Adams SS Super Hybrid 19*
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

It depends on the team of course, but yeah Carmelo would be the choice if you were starting from scratch. I still do think he can be the best player on a championship team if the pieces are right. Kind of like Dirk in Dallas. Surround Carmelo with shooters/defenders/glue guys and just let him score 30 points efficiently

Bosh would be a better fit in certain spots, like Houston. Bosh defends very well and is versatile. There are situations where if you already have a superstar, i'd rather have Bosh as my #2 then Carmelo.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1405061269' post='9678675']
Yeah I can't believe that Houston is offering Bosh a max contract.

These guys shore are dragging this thing out though.... s*** or get off the pot already.
[/quote]

The contract if rumored to be true just seems crazy to me, i think i mentioned that already...but man, 60M+ committed to 3 guys, none of whom are top 5 players in the league. Houston would be a very very good team, but with likely zero help.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I hate Houston, probably my least favorite team in the league. Part of me wants Bosh to take the deal, the other part wants LBJ to sign a short contract with Miami so the Lakers have another shot in a few years.

According to reports other teams also said they would offer Bosh max money. Who knows if true....

If LeBron goes back to Miami does he sell his house in Ohio and never return?

ESPN reported that if LeBron goes to Cleveland then Mike Miller and Kevin Love would sign with Cleveland if presented the opportunity. The Kyrie Irving contract means LeBron will have a dominate point guard to spread the shooting and that's one more threat when on the court together.

While adding Love wouldn't mean the best defensively equipped team it would still help Cleveland on the defensive end along with LeBron and his chase down blocking. He's not the best defender but he can defend(He just can't defend Anthony Davis. That last Pelicans-Wolves game was a Davis showdown) :)

Adding Mike Miller would defiantly give Cleveland a sharp shooting frenzy from the arc; and ESPN also reported that they might try to add Ray Allen which we all know what Shuttleworth can do off the bench.

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1405081386' post='9679333']
It depends on the team of course, but yeah Carmelo would be the choice if you were starting from scratch. I still do think he can be the best player on a championship team if the pieces are right. Kind of like Dirk in Dallas. Surround Carmelo with shooters/defenders/glue guys and just let him score 30 points efficiently

Bosh would be a better fit in certain spots, like Houston. Bosh defends very well and is versatile. There are situations where if you already have a superstar, i'd rather have Bosh as my #2 then Carmelo.
[/quote]

Didn't denver do this with melo and all it got them was how many years of first-round exits? I would probably choose Melo if I was starting from scratch but I wouldn't expect much success outside of guaranteeing a playoff spot every year if that's all I had. I'd really like to see him paired with another star player with a skill set that would work with how melo plays.

Looks like he's going back to Cleveland. Good for him!

Wiggins Kyrie LBJ is gonna be a solid, solid core.

Titleist TSi3 8* // TENSEI 1K Black 65s

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15* // Kai'li 80x
Taylormade SLDR 17* Rescue // Speeder 9.3s
Taylormade SLDR 19* Rescue // Matrix Black Tie 95s
Srixon ZX5 4-PW // Nippon Modus 120s
50* & 56* Taylormade MG3 // Tour Issue S-200
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1405096251' post='9681151']
I was listening to Cleveland radio when it went down and those guys were going absolutely nuts. Can't help but feel good for NE Ohio. Incredible article by LBJ, KD's MVP speech made hairs stand, this article gave me goose bumps.

Notice his article does not mention Wiggins.
[/quote]

Do you have a link to the article? I haven't had a chance to search for it, unfortunately.

Titleist TSi3 8* // TENSEI 1K Black 65s

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15* // Kai'li 80x
Taylormade SLDR 17* Rescue // Speeder 9.3s
Taylormade SLDR 19* Rescue // Matrix Black Tie 95s
Srixon ZX5 4-PW // Nippon Modus 120s
50* & 56* Taylormade MG3 // Tour Issue S-200
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/07/11/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers
[color=#2F343B][size=4]
Before anyone ever cared where I would play basketball, I was a kid from Northeast Ohio. It’s where I walked. It’s where I ran. It’s where I cried. It’s where I bled. It holds a special place in my heart. People there have seen me grow up. I sometimes feel like I’m their son. Their passion can be overwhelming. But it drives me. I want to give them hope when I can. I want to inspire them when I can. My relationship with Northeast Ohio is bigger than basketball. I didn’t realize that four years ago. I do now.[/size][/color][color=#2F343B][size=4]
Remember when I was sitting up there at the Boys & Girls Club in 2010? I was thinking, This is really tough. I could feel it. I was leaving something I had spent a long time creating. If I had to do it all over again, I’d obviously do things differently, but I’d still have left. Miami, for me, has been almost like college for other kids. These past four years helped raise me into who I am. I became a better player and a better man. I learned from a franchise that had been where I wanted to go. I will always think of Miami as my second home. Without the experiences I had there, I wouldn’t be able to do what I’m doing today.[/size][/color][color=#2F343B][size=4]
I went to Miami because of [url="http://www.si.com/nba/player/dwyane-wade"]D-Wade[/url] and [url="http://www.si.com/nba/player/chris-bosh"]CB[/url]. We made sacrifices to keep [url="http://www.si.com/nba/player/udonis-haslem"]UD[/url]. I loved becoming a big bro to [url="http://www.si.com/nba/player/mario-chalmers"]Rio[/url]. I believed we could do something magical if we came together. And that’s exactly what we did! The hardest thing to leave is what I built with those guys. I’ve talked to some of them and will talk to others. Nothing will ever change what we accomplished. We are brothers for life. I also want to thank Micky Arison and Pat Riley for giving me an amazing four years.[/size][/color][color=#2F343B][size=4]
I’m doing this essay because I want an opportunity to explain myself uninterrupted. I don’t want anyone thinking[i]: He and Erik Spoelstra didn’t get along. [/i]… [i]He and Riles didn’t get along[/i]. … [i]The [url="http://www.si.com/nba/team/miami-heat"]Heat[/url] couldn’t put the right team together[/i]. That’s absolutely not true.[/size][/color][color=#2F343B][size=4]
I’m not having a press conference or a party. After this, it’s time to get to work.[/size][/color][color=#2F343B][size=4]
When I left Cleveland, I was on a mission. I was seeking championships, and we won two. But Miami already knew that feeling. Our city hasn’t had that feeling in a long, long, long time. My goal is still to win as many titles as possible, no question. But what’s most important for me is bringing one trophy back to Northeast Ohio.[/size][/color][color=#2F343B][size=4]
I always believed that I’d return to Cleveland and finish my career there. I just didn’t know when. After the season, free agency wasn’t even a thought. But I have two boys and my wife, Savannah, is pregnant with a girl. I started thinking about what it would be like to raise my family in my hometown. I looked at other teams, but I wasn’t going to leave Miami for anywhere except Cleveland. The more time passed, the more it felt right. This is what makes me happy.[/size][/color][color=#2F343B][size=4]
To make the move I needed the support of my wife and my mom, who can be very tough. The letter from Dan Gilbert, the booing of the Cleveland fans, the jerseys being burned -- seeing all that was hard for them. My emotions were more mixed. It was easy to say, “OK, I don’t want to deal with these people ever again.” But then you think about the other side. What if I were a kid who looked up to an athlete, and that athlete made me want to do better in my own life, and then he left? How would I react? I’ve met with Dan, face-to-face, man-to-man. We’ve talked it out. Everybody makes mistakes. I’ve made mistakes as well. Who am I to hold a grudge? [/size][/color][color=#2F343B][size=4]
I’m not promising a championship. I know how hard that is to deliver. We’re not ready right now. No way. Of course, I want to win next year, but I’m realistic. It will be a long process, much longer than it was in 2010. My patience will get tested. I know that. I’m going into a situation with a young team and a new coach. I will be the old head. But I get a thrill out of bringing a group together and helping them reach a place they didn’t know they could go. I see myself as a mentor now and I’m excited to lead some of these talented young guys. I think I can help [url="http://www.si.com/nba/player/kyrie-irving"]Kyrie Irving[/url] become one of the best point guards in our league. I think I can help elevate [url="http://www.si.com/nba/player/tristan-thompson"]Tristan Thompson[/url] and [url="http://www.si.com/nba/player/dion-waiters"]Dion Waiters[/url]. And I can’t wait to reunite with [url="http://www.si.com/nba/player/anderson-varejao"]Anderson Varejao[/url], one of my favorite teammates.[/size][/color][color=#2F343B][size=4]
But this is not about the roster or the organization. I feel my calling here goes above basketball. I have a responsibility to lead, in more ways than one, and I take that very seriously. My presence can make a difference in Miami, but I think it can mean more where I’m from. I want kids in Northeast Ohio, like the hundreds of Akron third-graders I sponsor through my foundation, to realize that there’s no better place to grow up. Maybe some of them will come home after college and start a family or open a business. That would make me smile. Our community, which has struggled so much, needs all the talent it can get.[/size][/color][color=#2F343B][size=4]
In Northeast Ohio, nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have.[/size][/color][color=#2F343B][size=4]
I’m ready to accept the challenge. I’m coming home.[/size][/color]

[quote name='baseballfrk8998' timestamp='1405096374' post='9681165']
I was listening to Cleveland radio when it went down and those guys were going absolutely nuts. Can't help but feel good for NE Ohio. Incredible article by LBJ, KD's MVP speech made hairs stand, this article gave me goose bumps.

[/quote]

Do you have a link to the article? I haven't had a chance to search for it, unfortunately.
[/quote]

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/07/11/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers

[/quote]

That was my first thought when reading it

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1405097776' post='9681323']
[quote name='Rock Chalk Jayhawk' timestamp='1405097460' post='9681305']
Bet Wiggins gets traded to the Twolves for Love.
[/quote]

Probably and I think it kinda sucks... For my own selfish reasons I want to see LBJ and Wiggins play together, especially on D.
[/quote]

Actually i'd like to see an LBJ/Wiggins duo, too. If Wiggins ends up being the defensive ace that everyone says he will be, Lebron wont' have to burn himself out guarding the other teams best perimeter player all the time

[quote name='Sidetracked' timestamp='1405097968' post='9681343']
Watching ESPN right now and didn't realize how many assets Cleveland has, such as all the draft picks for the next three years or something like that. I think they are going to make some serious moves soon.
[/quote]

Yeah, if they don't win right away, the cavs will definitely be scary over the next few years. I wonder what they will do with bennet now

Wasnt it telling in his essay that he mentions how he cant wait to play with almost every Cavs player by name - except Wiggins?

"[color=#2F343B][size=4] I see myself as a mentor now and I’m excited to lead some of these talented young guys. I think I can help [/size][/color][url="http://www.si.com/nba/player/kyrie-irving"]Kyrie Irving[/url][color=#2F343B][size=4] become one of the best point guards in our league. I think I can help elevate [/size][/color][url="http://www.si.com/nba/player/tristan-thompson"]Tristan Thompson[/url][color=#2F343B][size=4] and [/size][/color][url="http://www.si.com/nba/player/dion-waiters"]Dion Waiters[/url][color=#2F343B][size=4]. And I can’t wait to reunite with [/size][/color][url="http://www.si.com/nba/player/anderson-varejao"]Anderson Varejao[/url][color=#2F343B][size=4], one of my favorite teammates.[/size][/color]

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P / Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

David Blatt hit the lotto.... What if they don't trade Wiggins and sign Pau for the 5 million? Kyrie, LBJ, Wiggins, Anderson, Pau.....

All those early signs and "conspiracy theory guys" were right... The moving trucks, Money Mayweather dropping tons of cash on the Cavs, Nike buying the billboards... Crazy how this panned out. LBJ made a ton of fans today and handles the entire situation perfect.

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1405098939' post='9681439']
David Blatt hit the lotto.... What if they don't trade Wiggins and sign Pau for the 5 million? Kyrie, LBJ, Wiggins, Anderson, Pau.....

All those early signs and "conspiracy theory guys" were right... The moving trucks, Money Mayweather dropping tons of cash on the Cavs, Nike buying the billboards... Crazy how this panned out. LBJ made a ton of fans today and handles the entire situation perfect.
[/quote]

Have to agree ... the dude has learned a lot in the last 4 years. Don't think he could of handle 2010 decision any worse, don't think he could of handled 2014 decision any better.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

I still like that lineup a whole lot better with Love in place of Wiggins.

I'll always take known, NBA-proven stud commodities over one year college players - no matter how much "upside" they might have.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P / Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash