2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Brandel reappears on Golf Channel

The whole point is golf has a lot of rules that are policed by yourself-- so Brandel is saying Tiger knowingly cheated hoping not to get caught. I just don't see how this adds up... Tiger knows hes on camera for his entire 18 hole round. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit...

For what it's worth-- I am not calling for Brandel to be fired. I certainly dislike him as a golf commentator and would prefer to hear someone else but I don't the guy fired because of his article. If he gets fired because Golf Channel doesn't think he does a good job then that's up to them.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brandel's entire gig and popularity, if you can even call it that, has been solely based upon his irrational criticism of Tiger Woods. He could get away from BS swing analysis, he should have stuck to that. Instead, he accused a professional golfer of the cardinal golf sin. He finally crossed the line. He had it coming. He has no one to blame but himself.

Tiger didn't say it, but I believe he wants Brandel gone. The guy has an obvious vendetta. It is not unbiased analysis or constructive criticism. Can you blame Tiger?

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1383186111' post='8081554']
The whole point is golf has a lot of rules that are policed by yourself-- so Brandel is saying Tiger knowingly cheated hoping not to get caught. I just don't see how this adds up... Tiger knows hes on camera for his entire 18 hole round. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit...

For what it's worth-- I am not calling for Brandel to be fired. I certainly dislike him as a golf commentator and would prefer to hear someone else but I don't the guy fired because of his article. If he gets fired because Golf Channel doesn't think he does a good job then that's up to them.
[/quote]

You are definitely giving TW too much credit.

I don't care for Chamblee in all honesty but TW has essentially defiled the game.

When someone cheats 4 times in a single season the press should be allowed to make an assessment without fear of retribution.

TM '07 Burner TP 8.5° Protopype 80X
TM '07 Burner TP 14.5° PX 10A2
Adams Pro Idea Gold 18° PX HB6
Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
Cleveland 588 RTG 51°/56°/60°
The Wilson 8802

This Tiger guy sure does have a huge ego....and unbelievably a very fragile one at that -

Not to suggest BC couldn't have taken a bit different approach, but what's getting lost in all of this is that BC was 98% correct....Tiger did violate the ROG on 4 separate occasions...and it's reasonable that anyone in the media would want to question that....

Bullies don't like to have to defend their behavior and it's always easier when you can blame someone else...BC is getting the short end of the stick on this one...

[quote name='Brock Savage' timestamp='1383173841' post='8080560']

By saying that, the author of that article shows that he is either an ignoramus who doesn't know the rules of golf, or is consciously writing a hit piece, rather than practicing journalism. So there's really no point in reading the rest of the article.
[/quote]

And the same can be said about even the latest Chamblee mea culpa, since he continues to include the drop at the Players in his catalog of rules issues.

[quote name='turtleback' timestamp='1383190158' post='8081868']

The fact that you have the freedom to say whatever you want does not include the freedom to be immune to any consequences for what you have said.
[/quote]

Correct...no one is immune to the only player who actually might be bigger than the game itself.....and just b/c there are "consequences" doesn't necessarily suggest that the punishment fit the crime...

Brandel could have knocked it out of the park

and really run with a great piece. He was close, he had the right idea but

Instead, he did a bad job

And got

Knocked out. Everybody who gets in fights gets knocked out.

That's how fast it happens. But he seems to be getting back up and I bet he learned a lot.

You can't act like this as an isolated incident between Brandel and Tiger. Brandel overstepped one too many times.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='Jamboy72' timestamp='1383190387' post='8081876']

Correct...no one is immune to the only player who actually might be bigger than the game itself.....and just b/c there are "consequences" doesn't necessarily suggest that the punishment fit the crime...
[/quote]

That is certainly a valid (albeit incorrect, IMO) opinion. But it has nothing to do with Madgolfer76's whine about a free press.

As to punishment fitting the crime? Maybe we should wait to see what if any punishment there is, since there hasn't been any so far. Personally I think a suspension of 2-4 weeks, including the next major, would be appropriate.

[quote name='QMany' timestamp='1383190752' post='8081894']
You can't act like this as an isolated incident between Brandel and Tiger. Brandel overstepped one too many times.
[/quote]
overstepped how?

Is every negative opinion an overstepping?
[quote name='turtleback' timestamp='1383190995' post='8081914']That is certainly a valid (albeit incorrect, IMO) opinion. But it has nothing to do with Madgolfer76's whine about a free press.

As to punishment fitting the crime? Maybe we should wait to see what if any punishment there is, since there hasn't been any so far. Personally I think a suspension of 2-4 weeks, including the next major, would be appropriate.
[/quote]
What was the crime?

Let's start there.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1383185815' post='8081532']
Not sure what I am more shocked about,

That it took this long! (Tiger's power continue to be reduced bit by bit)

That BC still has a job! (Again, I guess Tiger's power is reducing faster then I thought)

I tell you what, back in Tiger's hay day, BC would have been fired in less then 24 hours
[/quote]

So does this mean he isn't back yet?

Dang, we were all so sure :swoon:

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

McIlroy: Chamblee 'was completely wrong'

Steve DiMeglio, USA TODAY Sports4:02 p.m. EDT October 30, 2013

1383141961000-GTY-186280241.jpg

(Photo: Ross Kinnaird, Getty Images)

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Rory McIlroy said Chamblee was wrong in his comments about Tiger Woods
  • "People wouldn't know who Brandel Chamblee was if it wasn't for Tiger Woods"
  • McIroy is in China for the HSBC Champions

Rory
McIlroy said golf analyst Brandel Chamblee was "completely wrong" and should be dealt with "in the right way"
for writing a column that insinuated that world No. 1 Tiger Woods cheated and at best was "a little cavalier with the rules" this season.

Speaking at a promotional event Tuesday in the run-up to the World Golf Championships-HSBC Champions in Shanghai, McIlroy told reporters that Chamblee made a mistake giving Woods an "F" as a season-ending grade in a column he wrote for Golf.com as an SI Golf+ contributor. In the piece that appeared Oct. 15 Chamblee wrote about an incident in the fourth grade when his teacher crossed out "100" and gave him an "F" for cheating on a math test.

TIGER TALKS:

"
Yeah, I think Brandel was completely wrong. I don't think he has the authority to say anything like that about Tiger Woods," the two-time major champion and former No. 1 McIlroy said, according to Agence France-Presse. "People wouldn't know who Brandel Chamblee was if it wasn't for Tiger Woods, so I am completely against what he said and I think he should be dealt with in the right way."

Tiger's commentary within the article
:
Woods said Monday before losing an exhibition match to McIlroy in China that it was time to move forward but put the ball in Golf Channel's court.

"I don't know what the Golf Channel is going to do or not," Woods said. "But then that's up to them. The whole issue has been very disappointing as he didn't really apologize and he sort of reignited the whole situation.

"So the ball really is in the court of the Golf Channel and what they are prepared to do."

Link for the entire article:

[quote name='SurfinTurf' timestamp='1383187544' post='8081656']

You are definitely giving TW too much credit.

I don't care for Chamblee in all honesty but TW has essentially defiled the game.

[b]When someone cheats 4 times in a single season [/b]the press should be allowed to make an assessment without fear of retribution.

Effed up sh*t.
[/quote]

It's been repeated multiple times already, he didn't cheat 4 times. He might've cheated once (ball moving incident), but the other three were just questionable mistakes.

Titleist 910D2 9.5* Tour Issue
TEE XCG7 15*
Srixon Z545 4-PW
Vokey SM6 46* 50* 54* 58*
John Byron DaleHead 2

[quote name='Pat_Irish' timestamp='1383171367' post='8080354']
Great News, if he had dissapeared this site may well of had to close down, there would have been nothing to talk about or defend :)
[/quote]

Pat please be confident in knowing that the Tiger fans would continue to extol him as the greatest everything forever. And inspite of the elimination of the incindary device known as Brandel Chamblee, the TW haters would still find issue with his existence.

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1383196356' post='8082158']
Dear Santa,

How are you I am fine. Although Brandel Chamblee doesnt think so, I've been a very good boy this year. For Christmas could you please bring me a rule book?

Thank you.

Tiger

P.S. Nice job on bringing me Lindsay Vonn last Christmas. Ho ho ho.
[/quote]
There are a lot of guys on here that are just plain pathetic. Hopefully soon they'll be locking this thread too.

[quote name='HiSpeed48' timestamp='1383193997' post='8082076']

It's been repeated multiple times already, he didn't cheat 4 times. He might've cheated once (ball moving incident), but the other three were just questionable mistakes.
[/quote]

Let's forget the more blatant and egregious acts act of ignonimty. Rule 33-7 and in particular, the 2011-enacted Decision 33-7/4.5, which allows officials to waive a player’s disqualification if said player was "unaware" prior to signing a scorecard of any rules breach.

How was TW "unaware"?!?! He stated publicly what his illegal intensions were.

If you can't smell BS when it's right under your nose then your either too young or too stupid. I can forgive the younger members because the old guys tend to hold out due to some misguided sense of protectiveness. But If you love the game of golf then call out cheaters. Take an enthusiastic joy in said measures. It's called "Defending the Game". Then you can take pride in being a golfer.

Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
The Wilson 8802

[quote name='golfer' timestamp='1383193754' post='8082062']
[b] McIlroy: Chamblee 'was completely wrong'[/b]
[indent=1][color=#ff0000][size=4][size=4][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]"[/size][/size][/size][/font][/size][/font][/color][color=#ff0000][size=4][size=4][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]Yeah, I think Brandel was completely wrong. I don't think he has the authority to say anything like that about Tiger Woods," the two-time major champion and former No. 1 McIlroy said, according to Agence France-Presse. "People wouldn't know who Brandel Chamblee was if it wasn't for Tiger Woods, so I am completely against what he said and I think he should be dealt with in the right way."[/size][/size][/size][/font][/size][/font][/color][/indent]
[indent=1][color=#333333][color=#333333][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4][size=5]Link for the entire article:[/size] [url="http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/golf/2013/10/30/rory-mcilroy-tiger-woods-brandel-chamblee/3313057/"]http://www.usatoday....amblee/3313057/[/url][/size][/color][/size][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/font][/color][/font][/color][/indent]
[/quote]

I disagree with Rory that Brandel's accomplishments, or lack of them, have anything to do with his right to criticize Tiger. There are only a handful of people who can compare with Tiger in any important golfing stat, so that's not a realistic criterion. Heck, even Ben Hogan falls short by that standard.

But the right to criticize is not the same as the right to throw around reckless, unprovable slanders. Brandel should stick to swing mechanics, and leave the slander to the armchair experts in this forum.

McIlroy: Chamblee 'was completely wrong'

Steve DiMeglio, USA TODAY Sports4:02 p.m. EDT October 30, 2013

1383141961000-GTY-186280241.jpg

(Photo: Ross Kinnaird, Getty Images)

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Rory McIlroy said Chamblee was wrong in his comments about Tiger Woods
  • "People wouldn't know who Brandel Chamblee was if it wasn't for Tiger Woods"
  • McIroy is in China for the HSBC Champions

Rory
McIlroy said golf analyst Brandel Chamblee was "completely wrong" and should be dealt with "in the right way"
for writing a column that insinuated that world No. 1 Tiger Woods cheated and at best was "a little cavalier with the rules" this season.

Speaking at a promotional event Tuesday in the run-up to the World Golf Championships-HSBC Champions in Shanghai, McIlroy told reporters that Chamblee made a mistake giving Woods an "F" as a season-ending grade in a column he wrote for Golf.com as an SI Golf+ contributor. In the piece that appeared Oct. 15 Chamblee wrote about an incident in the fourth grade when his teacher crossed out "100" and gave him an "F" for cheating on a math test.

TIGER TALKS:

"
Yeah, I think Brandel was completely wrong. I don't think he has the authority to say anything like that about Tiger Woods," the two-time major champion and former No. 1 McIlroy said, according to Agence France-Presse. "People wouldn't know who Brandel Chamblee was if it wasn't for Tiger Woods, so I am completely against what he said and I think he should be dealt with in the right way."

Tiger's commentary within the article
:
Woods said Monday before losing an exhibition match to McIlroy in China that it was time to move forward but put the ball in Golf Channel's court.

"I don't know what the Golf Channel is going to do or not," Woods said. "But then that's up to them. The whole issue has been very disappointing as he didn't really apologize and he sort of reignited the whole situation.

"So the ball really is in the court of the Golf Channel and what they are prepared to do."

Link for the entire article:

Hate to play the Devils advocate, but Rory and Tiger are friends, so even if Rory feels Tiger may have cheated, he would never say it. He couldn't say it because the media would overwhelm him. He was obligated to say this or nothing at all about the issue.

[quote name='Brock Savage' timestamp='1383201492' post='8082292']

I disagree with Rory that Brandel's accomplishments, or lack of them, have anything to do with his right to criticize Tiger. There are only a handful of people who can compare with Tiger in any important golfing stat, so that's not a realistic criterion. Heck, even Ben Hogan falls short by that standard.

But the right to criticize is not the same as the right to throw around reckless, unprovable slanders. Brandel should stick to swing mechanics, and leave the slander to the armchair experts in this forum.
[/quote]

Slander? Really? Four events in a single season?

So button up the Press, Huh?

Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
The Wilson 8802

[color=#000000][b]Who does the HSBC guy think he is, just because they put Millions into Golf, He now wants an opinion as well :)[/b][/color]
[color=#000000]McIlroy also could not resist entering the row over American analyst [url="http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Brandel_Chamblee"]Brandel Chamblee[/url]'s insinuation that Woods was a cheat, after the 14-time Major champion's multiple rules infractions this season.[/color]
[color=#000000]"I say Brandel was completely wrong and I don't expect he has the authority to say anything bad about Tiger," McIlroy argued. "I am completely against what he said and I expect him to be dealt with in the right way."[/color]

[color=#000000][size=4]A day after being dropped by computer game giant EA, Woods also received a stern rebuke from HSBC's most senior golf executive for his decision to snub the WGC, while accepting a €2.3m appearance fee to face McIlroy earlier this week.[/size]
[size=4]"For a meaningless game in [url="http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/China"]China[/url] to take place only a few days before is disappointing," said [url="http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Giles_Morgan"]Giles Morgan[/url], the bank's global head of sponsorship. "This tournament has to be bigger than the individual."[/size]
[size=4]The suggestion from Morgan was that Woods had displayed a lack of respect towards one of the game's leading sponsors by skipping the event while performing a series of commercial junkets in Macau. It is the second year running that the world No 1 has bypassed the final WGC of the season – the only one of the four he has never won – on a dubious pretext, after citing "corporate stuff" in [url="http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Singapore"]Singapore[/url] as his reason for absence 12 months ago.[/size]
[size=4]"We are disappointed not to have Tiger here," Morgan added. "Ultimately he is a freelance agent, so it is his decision to do as he likes. I just feel that this tournament has an important role to take golf into an entirely different part of the world.[/size]
[size=4]"It builds off the Olympic story in China and all the top players in the world have a responsibility, to an extent, to support it. Sponsors of our size deserve a modicum of respect."[/size]
[size=4]HSBC's frustration with the lucrative exhibition contests that have sprung up on the autumn swing of the golf circuit is evident, with Woods choosing to miss the most significant event in favour of collecting colossal fees just for turning up at the shoot-out with McIlroy and at the Turkish Airlines Open in Antalya next week.[/size]
[size=4]"There could be some tightening of the rules," Morgan said. "Where we have the disappointment is that with Tiger, we have created something that everybody is quite proud about. Golf is now showcasing itself on the other side of the world, away from the traditional heartlands. I feel that Tiger is missing out."[/size][/color]

[quote name='That Bob Guy' timestamp='1383171258' post='8080348']
Boy did Chamblee ever look sheepish. Obviously an attempt by Golf Channel to douse the fire.
[/quote]

...and an effort by Chamblee to stave off a libel suit.

He'd probably win any such lawsuit---given the laxness of the laws where public figures are concerned---but the legal bills alone would take a serious bite out of his hide.

...and I don't see either TGC or Golf.com ponying up for them.

PIng G25 8.5/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping Rapture 13*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping G25 19*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5
Ping Tour Gorge 54* and 60*
Odyssey 2-ball Versa, 34"