2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Brandel reappears on Golf Channel

[quote name='mrt99' timestamp='1383265681' post='8086178']
[quote name='kemau' timestamp='1383265378' post='8086168']

just as i thought....you've got nothing so it resorts to name calling. your references are equally irrelevant so looks like we have common ground
[/quote]

I'm not calling anyone names. Simply pointing out that the piece you linked to provides at best a very facile summary of libel law. And I can speak from experience, as I've unfortunately had the displeasure of reading a lot of the relevant body of case law on the issue.
[/quote]
For someone supposedly well versed in law, you make some remarkable judgements without knowing the facts of the case. Nobody here is qualified to judge the merits of any potential case, all we can speculate on is if there are grounds for complaint. Im no expert on libel by any means so I may be way off base, but I would think there is enough there to form a prima facie case which would need to be tested in court. And as I said previously court is very expensive and could be dragged out into a war of attrition. And we all know who has deeper pockets.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Pat_Irish' timestamp='1383256283' post='8085484']
[quote name='kellygreen' timestamp='1383255302' post='8085390']
No, I'm simply being realistic...and you are romanticizing.

Because if you listen to the people who are actually inside the ropes on tour, they're pretty much singing the same song I am. That most people do their best to play by the rules...but the rules are complicated, and the players trying to police themeslves are fallible.

The only issue here is that you want to insist "If I didnt' see it, it didn't happen."

Whereas I'm saying it happens, whether or not anyone is around to see it. The Sun doesn't rise simply because the rooster crows.

...and rules violations don't wait around for someone with a camera to document them.
[/quote]
Rules are complicated for who Kelly ? hit it find it and hit it again,,how complicated can that be, and as for inside the ropes gossip,,,No names, talk is cheap, like Brant Sneds,,,if you ain't naming. keep your foot in your mouth, He is the one who should be hauled over the coals
[/quote]

Apples and lawn furniture.

Unlike Sneds, I'm not insinuating that any one is cheating or deliberately playing loose with the rules. The sort of situations I'm refering are based on the simple fact that human beings are imperfect....and ANYTHING involving them will have mistakes.

Moreover, if you listen to the tour pros themselves they have said...time and again...that there are many complicated rules situations that arise in competition and that---as a group---they don't know the rules as well as they should.

I'm not accusing anyone of anything illegal or unethical. I just refuse to convince myself that rules mistakes "only" happen when there is a TV camera around to document the situation.

That's like thinking that speeding never happens unless a police officer is around to issue a ticket.

PIng G25 8.5/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping Rapture 13*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping G25 19*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5
Ping Tour Gorge 54* and 60*
Odyssey 2-ball Versa, 34"

[quote name='Playaway' timestamp='1383259734' post='8085726']
[quote name='kellygreen' timestamp='1383248381' post='8084808']
1. Please see my earlier post about Simon Dyson's situation.

2. What Tiger Woods does in his private life is none of my business. I've known PLENTLY of people who are terrible spouses...but ethical in their professional life...and plenty of people who are faithful spouses, who would cheat their own grandmother out of her house in a business deal. The world isn't that black-and-white.

3. Your suspicions say more about you, than they do about him. No disrespect intended. I tend to be more circumspect and thoughtful in my assessment of people and situations. Sometimes I'm right. Sometimes I'm wrong. But I'm never unfair or impulsive.

4. Yes, BC had every right to say whatever he wanted. Just like we ALL have the right to say whatever we want....[b][i]as long as we are willing to live with the consequences of our actions. [/i][/b] As my brother likes to call it....[i]The Grown D*mn Man Principle. [/i]

Unfortunately---as many people find when they insist upon exercising that principle---BC is finding out that no one is obliged to tolerate whatever you choose to say without complaint...and the consequences for mouthing-off in an irresponsible manner can be quite painful.

...and potentially expensive.
[/quote]

Here's what you say in #3 above:

"3. Your suspicions say more about you, than they do about him. No disrespect intended. I tend to be more circumspect and thoughtful in my assessment of people and situations. Sometimes I'm right. Sometimes I'm wrong. But I'm never unfair or impulsive.

Then you say this:

"From where I sit, a truly REASONABLE person wouldn't assume that other pros aren't making similar rules violations, simply because there isn't a camera around to catch it."

So aren't you sort of picking and choosing when it is OK to be suspicious and when it is not OK? (double standard city) For someone who is "thoughtful and circumspect" isn't that second statement sort of reckless? I mean, you think all pros violate the rules; all (like Tiger) have had 4 distinct and separate rules issues during a very limited schedule in one season? For a guy like Kuchar, as much as he plays, he might have like 10??

Something doesn't add up. You may have aced English but your street logic is in the toilet. No disrespect intended.
[/quote]

No.

I just have enough life experience to know that [i][b]random events sometimes cluster. [/b][/i]

Even though the odds of a coin flip are only 50%....and the odds of flipping ten head in a row is only 1 in 1024...[i]if you flip a coin enough times you will eventually get heads to come up 10 times in a row. [/i]

..... it doesn't mean that its a two-headed coin....

So the reality is not "four events in a year". Its four events in a[i] SIXTEEN YEAR career[/i]. A career that is one of the most meticulously-documented (in terms of video footage) in the history of the sport. So anyone who doesn't consider the possibility ---and probable reality---of sampling error being in play here, IS being unreasonable. Because they are choosing to jump to a conclusion without stopping to consider all the reasonable possibilities.

PIng G25 8.5/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping Rapture 13*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping G25 19*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5
Ping Tour Gorge 54* and 60*
Odyssey 2-ball Versa, 34"

[quote name='Sawgrass' timestamp='1383258099' post='8085618']
Reasonable people's petition:

We agree:

1) That the Tiger Woods Abu Dhabi and Masters Rules violations could not possibly have been cheating (intentionally violating the rules and hoping to get away with it) since in Abu Dhabi Woods openly discussed his conduct with a fellow competitor prior to putting his dropped ball in play and at the Masters openly discussed his conduct with the press after he had already temporatily escaped prosecution. No reasonable possibility of cheating here folks, move on.

2) That while the drop at 14 at TPC Sawgrass might or might not have been correct and might or might not have been devious -- neither we nor BC have any way of knowing. And none of the people who actually were there on the tee in a position to clearly observe have claimed that they know for sure that the drop was incorrect. And Tiger's fellow competitor, who is the only official voice on the matter, and who was there, says Tiger dropped correctly.

3) That the BMW ball move may or may not have been observed by Tiger. He said he didn't see it move. No one can say for sure that he did.

4) BC was playing fast and loose with "the rules of ethics" when he implied that based on the above Tiger was a cheat.

5) If BC wrote that Tiger did a bad job with the Rules this year, everyone would have agreed, probably even Tiger.

6) If in fact Tiger has not cheated, he has every reason to be very upset with BC.
[/quote]

I think Tiger is also a little embarrassed that he screwed up his drop at the Masters in 2013. This whole rules thing has people further questioning his integrity ... just when he was getting out of the pit (in his mind). I believe it was clearly not intentional and as I've stated in other posts he simply went back on the line he thought he last crossed the hazard. He forget to account for the deflection moving left off the flagstick which would have put his drop somewhere over by the drop zone (and able to go back). Otherwise there is no way he admits in an interview he went back 2 yards.

Don't get me started on the Masters committee. They heard that late interview and went into spin mode

Good post SAW

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

This is a great marketing tool, Woods has no on course rivalry,
So let him have an off course rivalry with the press. It sells itself !!!
This is a story to keep interest in the game as well as interest in the
off season. Marketing , TGC execs are already spinning this .

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

[quote name='Bobalu' timestamp='1383175348' post='8080702']
I don't like how Tiger handled this. Trying to get someone in the golf media fired because they dissed him. Media guys can say whatever they want, as long as it's not blatantly racist. What Kelly said was not racist, but she was suspended by GC. Luckily, the Great One (Tiger), stood and gave a thumbs up. Her career was saved. Seriously?
[/quote]

Possibly, but I am not convinced Tigers actions were behind getting someone fired... more like his PR person overstepping bounds by pushing buttons. And I don't believe intentions were to get someone fired either; that alone can grounds for a serious employee libel suite, and any lawyer would know that. I suspect Tigers PR person exercised concern to the appropriate parties, and they reacted.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

I'm disappointed Brandel hasn't been fired yet. Not for calling out Woods, but rather for just being a terrible commentator and a .... All he ever does is criticize Sean Foley, Tiger Woods, and feud with Frank Nobilo when they're announcing together. Brandel Chamblee talks as though he's the GOAT, while having a less than stellar career. I for one can't stand listening to him, so much negativity and vitriol, terrible announcer (Frank Nobilo, David Feherty, others are much better).

Honestly, I think the only reason there's any sympathy for Brandel Chamblee whatsoever is because he was bashing Tiger Woods. I personally think he's a bad announcer, with or without the Tiger drama.

[b] i have to admit i dont like chamblee & i think his criticism of sean foley is way off base. i also have to admit that personally im a hater and i would want chamblee fired if i were tiger. and i mean fired from the golf channel. i think he believes tiger is a cheater and i dont think he is correct. at any rate there is really no way to prove anything one way of another except that it is prob stupid to say things you cant document.[/b]

Reminds me of an exchange that George Bernard Shaw had with a wealthy socialite once. GBS: "my dear, would you sleep with me for a million dollars"? Socialite: "of course, dear boy." GBS: "well, my dear, would you sleep with me for ten dollars"? Socialite: "of course not, you cad, what do you take me for"? GBS: "well, we've already established that, now we're just haggling over price."

Sorry, Eldrick, we've already established what you are, now we're just trying to decide which game.

• 2 weeks later...

How dare Sawgrass and Sean come in here and try to say something reasonable, that can foul up a good, long, long.......long, read.

Do I think Tiger cheated on purpose? No. Does he maybe think he's above reproach and sees no need to call in an official to make sure of how he procedes? Maybe. Did he break the rules? Yes.

Do I think Brandel should be fired for voicing his opinion (which is part of his job)? No. Is Brandel jealous of Tiger and does he go out of his way to critize him? Maybe.Was Brandels choice to use the word "Cheat" a poor decision on his part? Yes.

Personally (and not being a attorney), I would think a lawsuit would be a joke and would never make it to court and would really focus a lot of negative press on Tiger, press that he doesn't need right now. I seriously doubt anyone outside of this board even knows who B.C even is. His comments are not going to have any effect on Tigers endorsements. I challenge youWRX'ers, ask any of your non -golfing friends if they have any idea who he is. The real start of the season can't come soon enough so people can actually start talking about golf again.

But then, any thread that gets both Pepper and Kelly in it is always going to be entertaining.

[quote name='golfcarte' timestamp='1383170998' post='8080320']
Brandel Chamblee returns to GC on their flagship program 'Golf Central', not seated at the desk, but in a big comfy chair across from Rich Lerner. Brandel offers an apology and Lerner throws him a hardball question: "Do you have a vendetta against Tiger Woods?" Brandel replies, "Of course not". He mentions from here on he will be no longer writing for Golf.com, where the infamous article appeared, and will be writing exclusively for Golf Channel.
[/quote]

Brandel only gets attention when he talks crap about Tiger, this time he went too far. He should go write for Lawn Bowling Monthly.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...