Brandel reappears on Golf Channel

[quote name='kellygreen' timestamp='1383244949' post='8084546']

Both and more.

For some it is racial. For others it is class-based resentment. For other still it is cultural. Others still it is generational. For some, it is just the resentment and envy that all "greatness" or "success" generates. Especially if people feel that it has come too easily or too abundantly.

For many, it is a witches brew of more than one at at time.
[/quote]

Or sometimes, you just look at someone's face and decide you don't like them. What you gonna do.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='exquisitechip' timestamp='1383245399' post='8084580']

Or sometimes, you just look at someone's face and decide you don't like them. What you gonna do.
[/quote]

Haha. I do that a lot at work.

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

[quote name='kellygreen' timestamp='1383243350' post='8084388']

1. People like Howard Stern too. No one ever went broke by underestimating their audience or by appealing to the lowest-common denominator.

2. There's no vendetta. If there WAS one, I might actually have more respect for BC. But this is a calculated move on BC's part to position himself as another Johnny Miller. As the "analyst who isn't afraid to tell it like it is even if it makes the pros look bad."

But what BC is too stupid and too arrogant to realize is that the pros HATE it when JM does it. They just put up with it because JM is (at the end of the day) very knowledgeable about the game, makes it clear that he just as critical of himself and his own life, and is highly respected for he has accomplished in the game. [b][i]The benefit-of-the-doubt that these guys extend to JM, in no-way-shape-or-form translates down to a washed-up journeyman player who isn't as knowledgable about the game, or as respected by his peers as he thinks he is. [/i][/b]

Something he didn't realize until he finally crossed the line, and the subject of his unprofessional rant did the professional equivalent of knocking him on his *ss.

Only to look around and find out that nobody (in the profession) was going to be coming to his defense.
[/quote]

Kelly, you are now acting as the defence and the points you made above are total fantasy, because there is noway you know what the pro's think of JM, and as for BC positioning himself as the next JM,,,how could you possibly know this, its not an opinion based on any any fact , If you need to get the facts ask Edward Snowden

[quote name='Jamboy72' timestamp='1383244116' post='8084476']
[Hogwash...If it were any other player, the masses would have no issue discussing this issue ad naseum....We aren't talking about one instance...we're talking about 4...I'm sorry, but 4 instances of shady rules type behavior is enough for anyone to question - It's not that hard to play by the rules (for most) - But playing by the rules, hasn't always been Tiger's strong suit -

It's not throwing rocks or "trolling" when Tiger has brought this ENTIRELY on himself. He broke the rules....and at least with 2 of the 4, there weren't any "intricacies" - They are rules I expect my high school golf team to know...it's not that hard....

Once again, TW misbehaved...got caught and instead of mann-ing up and dealing with it, his fragile ego has to deflect....
[/quote]
Once again,
I find it interesting that nobody at PGA Tour HQ, or the HQ's of any other tour Woods plays in, seems to care enough about his behaviour to do ANY of the things they should be doing, had he actually cheated. Don't you all find that interesting too?
Makes the loud words of many here seem insignificant when set beside the quiet absence of any words at all from those who actually officially know what's going on.

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

[quote name='kellygreen' timestamp='1383242861' post='8084352']
Perception is not Reality....because what you see often isn't the whole picture, or (worse) is just what that person wants you to see.

I've worked with people who are silky-smooth and oh-so-personable with patients and their families....but are shameless tyrants towards anyone who works for them, obnoxious to anyone who works with them....and treats their spouse like a concubine. I wouldn't let them treat one of my dogs.

OTOH, I've also worked with people who were terrible spouses....cheated shamelessly on them...but were such caring and ethical docs with their patients that I wouldn't have hesitated to let them take care of a family member. Even if I wouldn't have wanted them for an in-law.

We are all imperfect. The only question is in what area of our lives...to what degree we are...and whether we are honest with oursleves and others about it.
[/quote]

Kelly, your reasoning is stretching beyond what I originally said, and preaching information I am already aware of. It may be helpful for me to remind you that I am only referring to one person's behavior - not groups of people in certain fields or abstract scenarios.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='farmer' timestamp='1383241146' post='8084222']
Jamboy, excellent post. Kelly, BC is not an employee of TW, nor is TW a client of the GC. There was an incident years ago where some talking head said something critical of Greg Norman, Who then dispatched some of his "people" to visit the offending party. Tiger refused to talk to Peter Kostis because of a perceived slight. If you can't stand the limelight, get out of the limelight.
[/quote]

You don't think that The Golf Channel treats Tiger like a "client"? Tiger is very much an important relationship to them.

[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1383243511' post='8084402']

I am ever hopeful that you are indeed as honourable as you seem to be. It's understandable that you wish others to mirror your idea of honor. We just have different views of what distinguishes honor from dishonor.
[b]Generally speaking, life has taught me, to be suspicious of those who claim to be honourable men.[/b] too many of them use the word to hide themselves behind while they live ignobly, beneath the radar. I'm happy to share a beer with a man who strives for honour in his life and acts responsibly when he fails. As all honourable men must, on occasion, inevitably do .
[/quote]

I agree with that statement, especially since the definition and application of the word has been twisted in this thread to be indistinguishable from "pride" or "reputation." Honor shouldn't need defending. But, I digress...

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='kellygreen' timestamp='1383245072' post='8084550']
[quote name='golfer' timestamp='1383244524' post='8084522']
[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1383244071' post='8084464']
Kelly where does it come from? Is it racism? Envy?
[/quote]

Although many will provide other reasons for their dislike, it starts with "racism", moves to "envy" and ends with "racism".
[/quote]

Oh there are plenty of [i]rationalizations[/i] out there for the dislike.... Rationalizations that fall apart pretty quickly when closely examined. [b]But there are more reasons behind it than simply racism and envy...though those are a part of the overall mix out there[/b].
[/quote]

Let's not "sugarcoat" it. While I agree that the "rationalizations" of some fall apart when "closely examined", I firmly believe that "racism" and "envy" are the [b]root causes[/b] for the dislike and "more reasons" do not exist. Much like performance, in my opinion, the lack of performance by any individual can be placed under the umbrellas of "willingness" and "ability". As such, the expressed reasons for dislike are masked under various descriptions, but each reason falls under the specific categories of "racism" and "envy" when they are "closely examined".

[quote name='stuckntx' timestamp='1383242866' post='8084354']
[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1383241034' post='8084216']
You write like I owe you something...well, fair is fair.

You guys are getting hung up on a single point that I made, and are missing that in the earlier post I noted a [u]collection[/u] of behaviors that suggest TO ME that Woods is not quite the honorable person you would like me to think he is. The adultery is a fraction of the point. I wouldn't have brought it up again, but for the interest you have all shown. I don't mind explaining my opinion to you, if it is that important. I hadn't thought so...
[/quote]

It really very clear.. you don't like the guy.

Here is a question. Can you name every PGA tour player who has had a rules violation in the last year? Would you insinuate that they were all cheaters?

TW has had one incident that should raise an eyebrow...the ball oscillating. Other than that, the infractions were non issues and happen all the time on tour.

What I find funny is people still idolize a guy like Michael Jordan. Many opposing players felt like he pushed the rules and got away with it because of who he was. He was also a serial philanderer. Same can be said of many other revered public figures. Some of whom were famous golfers. Can you imagine some of your sacred golfers not being who we believe them to be? Well, its a fact, many bent the rules and, shall we say, liked the ladies. Here is the difference, the media then didn't have a camera shoved up their butts 24/7. Those that did know about these players escapades kept it quiet. They kind of liked being friends with a famous athlete.

Bottom line is that their is an obvious irrational dislike for TW. I don't know where it comes from, but we can speculate quite a number of things.
[/quote]

Why would I care to do all that? As I responded already, I am addressing others questions to me regarding my opinion of one player's pattern of behavior. If you don't like how I respond, stop asking me questions.

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='kellygreen' timestamp='1383239172' post='8084036']

Not if that "opinion" or "speculation" has no basis in fact, and has the ability to do irreparable harm to the person who is the target of it.

That is why slander and libel laws exist. They enforce the RESPONSIBILITY---to truth and good judgement---that goes along with a free press. Because human nature is want to focus on Rights...and ignore (or at least play fast-and-loose) with those responsibilities.

In short, you don't accuse anyone of being a cheater unless you've got something to back it up with.

This is no different than someone writing article that baselessly "speculates" that Tiger has been using PEDs.
[/quote]

Symon Dyson tamped down a spike mark on the green with his ball. The below video shows that. It is a violation, right? Do you REALLY think he does not know this rule? Really? What golfer on the planet, especially a seasoned tour player, does not know that rule?

It is my opinion that he "cheated". But if his intentions were innocent, he is not really a cheater, merely ignorant of the rule. And you may think that he didn't know this rule or that he didn't do it, or whatever. But, it is my opinion that he knew the rule, did the deed and knew it was wrong. I think, maybe, he thought HE WAS ABOVE IT!!!

I could be wrong.

But I wasn't wrong about Barry Bonds. I wasn't wrong about Lance Armstrong. I wasn't wrong about OJ Simpson. I could go on and on.

For the record, I did not suspect Tiger Woods of ANY wrong-doing whatsoever prior to his fall from grace with Elin, skanks, texts, voice messages, cheating on his children thing, etc. I thought the guy had character, wanted to win the right way, do the right thing. My buddy insisted on Tiger using PED's. I said, "no way, this guy is too proud to win that way." (guess that military upbringing wasn't what I thought it was)

Now, since his character has shown severe flaws and I see rules violations on top of said flaws (even ones that he sees on video and STILL denies) I become suspicious. This ain't Zack Johnson we're talking about. This is not Webb Simpson on his way to Bible Study.

So, if you look at the big picture, you might understand why Brandel has every right to his opinion as stated. And to share it as opinion through whatever means he desires.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14zJgTZdZYo[/media]

Valhalla, I am coming!
Drums beating, cold English blood
runs hot.
they just can't kill the beast

[/quote]

Although many will provide other reasons for their dislike, it starts with "racism", moves to "envy" and ends with "racism".
[/quote]

Oh there are plenty of [i]rationalizations[/i] out there for the dislike.... Rationalizations that fall apart pretty quickly when closely examined. But there are more reasons behind it than simply racism and envy...though those are a part of the overall mix out there.
[/quote]

Are you two/three referring to moi, perchance? If so, you would be in for a big surprise.

Titleist ProV1x

Let's get this (another, and another) Chamblee thread back on topic.

Thread clean, and continue to march, on topic that is.

Thank You

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

[quote name='golfer' timestamp='1383246584' post='8084678']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh there are plenty of [i]rationalizations[/i] out there for the dislike.... Rationalizations that fall apart pretty quickly when closely examined. [b]But there are more reasons behind it than simply racism and envy...though those are a part of the overall mix out there[/b].
[/quote]

Let's not "sugarcoat" it. [b]While I agree that the "rationalizations" of some fall apart when "closely examined", I firmly believe that "racism" and "envy" are the root causes for the dislike and "more reasons" do not exist.[/b] Much like performance, in my opinion, the lack of performance by any individual can be placed under the umbrellas of "willingness" and "ability". As such, the expressed reasons for dislike are masked under various descriptions, but each reason falls under the specific categories of "racism" and "envy" when they are "closely examined".
[/quote]

Wow, so everyone that doesn't like him is a racist? If he happened to be white, we would all like him, assuming we are all white? What if some are the same race?

I base my dslike of him on an entire career of things I don't like that he has done. Y'all choose to ignore them, if they bother you at all, and I don't

[quote name='exquisitechip' timestamp='1383245399' post='8084580']
[quote name='kellygreen' timestamp='1383244949' post='8084546']
Both and more.

For some it is racial. For others it is class-based resentment. For other still it is cultural. Others still it is generational. For some, it is just the resentment and envy that all "greatness" or "success" generates. Especially if people feel that it has come too easily or too abundantly.

For many, it is a witches brew of more than one at at time.
[/quote]

[/quote]

True that.

But usually---when you get below the surface---there's usually a reason for the dislike if it is that intense.

PIng G25 8.5/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping Rapture 13*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping G25 19*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5
Ping Tour Gorge 54* and 60*
Odyssey 2-ball Versa, 34"

[quote name='Pat_Irish' timestamp='1383245774' post='8084608']
[quote name='kellygreen' timestamp='1383243350' post='8084388']
1. People like Howard Stern too. No one ever went broke by underestimating their audience or by appealing to the lowest-common denominator.

2. There's no vendetta. If there WAS one, I might actually have more respect for BC. But this is a calculated move on BC's part to position himself as another Johnny Miller. As the "analyst who isn't afraid to tell it like it is even if it makes the pros look bad."

But what BC is too stupid and too arrogant to realize is that the pros HATE it when JM does it. They just put up with it because JM is (at the end of the day) very knowledgeable about the game, makes it clear that he just as critical of himself and his own life, and is highly respected for he has accomplished in the game. [b][i]The benefit-of-the-doubt that these guys extend to JM, in no-way-shape-or-form translates down to a washed-up journeyman player who isn't as knowledgable about the game, or as respected by his peers as he thinks he is. [/i][/b]

Something he didn't realize until he finally crossed the line, and the subject of his unprofessional rant did the professional equivalent of knocking him on his *ss.

Only to look around and find out that nobody (in the profession) was going to be coming to his defense.
[/quote]

Kelly, you are now acting as the defence and the points you made above are total fantasy, because there is noway you know what the pro's think of JM, and as for BC positioning himself as the next JM,,,how could you possibly know this, its not an opinion based on any any fact , If you need to get the facts ask Edward Snowden
[/quote]

I don't know what the player's think of JM...but I think that JM himself is a good authority on that, and I am simply repeating (with some added emphasis) what he has said about himself and his relationship with the players.

...and simply making a very reasonable extrapolation to BC situation.

Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5

Chamblee apologizes again to Tiger, but what is he apologizing for?

by Zak Kozuchowski | October 30, 2013

Email Article

57387298-300x336.jpg

How many times can you apologize without actually apologizing? For Brandel Chamblee, the number is now two.

The Golf Channel analyst appeared on Golf Central on Wednesday and spoke with Rich Lerner about a Golf.com article he penned that gave Woods, who won five time on the PGA Tour in 2013, an “F” grade for the season because of his multiple rules infractions.

In the article, Chamblee wrote that Woods was “cavalier” with the rules, and then proceeded to compare Woods’ rules infractions to a test the analyst cheated on while in fourth grade.

“In comparing those incidents to my cheating episode in the fourth grade, I went too far,” Chamblee said in the interview. “Cheating involves intent. Now I, I know what my intent was on that fourth grade math test. But there’s no way that I could know with 100 percent certainty what Tiger’s intent was in any of those situations. That was my mistake.”

When asked if he had a vendetta against Woods, Chamblee said, “of course not.” But he admitted that he is sometimes forceful with his opinions on Woods, and that he caused a problem for Golf Channel by writing the column. What he could have done next was finally say on camera that he was sorry to Tiger Woods. That would have been enough. But Chamblee went a different route, declaring that he would not write for any media outlet outside of Golf Channel/NBC.

“Tiger and his camp, they’re upset at Golf Channel; they specifically called Golf Channel out,” Chamblee said. “And to me they’re barking up the wrong tree. This column appeared on Golf.com, nobody here at Golf Channel knew anything about it and my editor at Golf.com asked me to rewrite the ending when I sent it in to him. I wished I would have listened to him. But all of this has made me realize that there is a conflict and a confusion when you work for one company and write for another company. So going forward, I’m not going to be writing for Golf Magazine beginning next year. I’ll be writing exclusively for GolfChannel.com, (NBCSports.com). And you know, that way if Tiger and his camp have an issue with something I write, they will at least be yelling at the right people.”

What’s apparently lost on Chamblee is that at no point has he addressed the real issue. He never said that he was wrong; that Tiger Woods, the most-watched golfer in history, couldn’t possible be a cheater on the golf course. But he did say this:

“My job as an analyst at Golf Channel requires me to analyze golf and offer my opinions. I’d like to think I’m pretty good at it.”

Sounds apologetic, doesn’t it?

Not knowing “with 100 percent certainty” what Tiger’s intent was during his rules infractions is a far cry from an apology. That’s why if Chamblee isn’t prepared to say that Woods isn’t a cheater, he shouldn’t be apologizing. Because what then is he really apologizing for?

I feel a little sorry for the bullying that Brandel is being subjected to by an overly sensitive little kitty kat

I take BC's F grade article as a pretty savvy way of bringing year end attention to what transpired with the rules over the 2013 golf season. It's a shame he is now in this position based on Tiger's "power" and his personal lacky "Steiny"

To be clear, Brandel is a lead commentator ... On a GOLF channel !! Of course he is going to talk about the #1 ranked player. You need to take the positives with the negatives.

Tiger's narcissistic personality disorder continues to evolve. Golf fans that hold Tiger on a pedestal need to accept that it is pretty clear he has some real flaws, get over it. Do you get out of shape if someone tells you that your favorite quarterback isn't a good scrambler?

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Cally AI Smoke 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1383245975' post='8084628']

Kelly, your reasoning is stretching beyond what I originally said, and preaching information I am already aware of. It may be helpful for me to remind you that I am only referring to one person's behavior - not groups of people in certain fields or abstract scenarios.
[/quote]

...and I am reminding you of the CONTEXT of that one person's behavior. A point that you seem to have overlooked.

NO ONE's life can withstand the degree of scrutiny that Woods has been subjected to, without revealing (many) imperfections.

That is why we no longer have "heroes". Because we now look far too closely at people, and drag their human imperfections into the light for fun, profit, and assuaging of our insecurities.

Churchill? Hero....or liar and alcoholic...or both?

FDR? Eisenhower? Heroes....or unfaithful husbands?

Babe Ruth. Sports heroe or shameless womanizer?

Ty Cobb. Sports heroe or your basic miserable b*st*rd?

Ben Hogan. "Wee Iceman"? Or self-absorbed guy with OCD who not only ignored the fans but ignored his fellow players when between the ropes?

Take the most beautiful woman in the world...and start tightening the focus...and you WILL reach a point where her imperfections overwhelm the beauty.

Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5

[quote name='cardoustie' timestamp='1383247615' post='8084756']
I feel a little sorry for the bullying that Brandel is being subjected to by an overly sensitive little kitty kat

I take BC's F grade article as a pretty savvy way of bringing year end attention to what transpired with the rules over the 2013 golf season. It's a shame he is now in this position based on Tiger's "power" and his personal lacky "Steiny"

To be clear, Brandel is a lead commentator ... On a GOLF channel !! Of course he is going to talk about the #1 ranked player. You need to take the positives with the negatives.

Tiger's narcissistic personality disorder continues to evolve. Golf fans that hold Tiger on a pedestal need to accept that it is pretty clear he has some real flaws, get over it. Do you get out of shape if someone tells you that your favorite quarterback isn't a good scrambler?
[/quote]

his editor AND son disagree

9* Synchron Revolver
14* Dynacraft Avatar
2-PW Titleist 690MB
56* & 60* Nike SV
Bobby Grace DCT Sunset
Innovex V Motion Tour

[quote name='Playaway' timestamp='1383246873' post='8084698']

Symon Dyson tamped down a spike mark on the green with his ball. The below video shows that. It is a violation, right? Do you REALLY think he does not know this rule? Really? What golfer on the planet, especially a seasoned tour player, does not know that rule?

It is my opinion that he "cheated". But if his intentions were innocent, he is not really a cheater, merely ignorant of the rule. And you may think that he didn't know this rule or that he didn't do it, or whatever. But, it is my opinion that he knew the rule, did the deed and knew it was wrong. I think, maybe, he thought HE WAS ABOVE IT!!!

I could be wrong.

But I wasn't wrong about Barry Bonds. I wasn't wrong about Lance Armstrong. I wasn't wrong about OJ Simpson. I could go on and on.

For the record, I did not suspect Tiger Woods of ANY wrong-doing whatsoever prior to his fall from grace with Elin, skanks, texts, voice messages, cheating on his children thing, etc. I thought the guy had character, wanted to win the right way, do the right thing. My buddy insisted on Tiger using PED's. I said, "no way, this guy is too proud to win that way." (guess that military upbringing wasn't what I thought it was)

Now, since his character has shown severe flaws and I see rules violations on top of said flaws (even ones that he sees on video and STILL denies) I become suspicious. This ain't Zack Johnson we're talking about. This is not Webb Simpson on his way to Bible Study.

So, if you look at the big picture, you might understand why Brandel has every right to his opinion as stated. And to share it as opinion through whatever means he desires.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14zJgTZdZYo[/media]
[/quote]

1. Please see my earlier post about Simon Dyson's situation.

2. What Tiger Woods does in his private life is none of my business. I've known PLENTLY of people who are terrible spouses...but ethical in their professional life...and plenty of people who are faithful spouses, who would cheat their own grandmother out of her house in a business deal. The world isn't that black-and-white.

3. Your suspicions say more about you, than they do about him. No disrespect intended. I tend to be more circumspect and thoughtful in my assessment of people and situations. Sometimes I'm right. Sometimes I'm wrong. But I'm never unfair or impulsive.

4. Yes, BC had every right to say whatever he wanted. Just like we ALL have the right to say whatever we want....[b][i]as long as we are willing to live with the consequences of our actions. [/i][/b] As my brother likes to call it....[i]The Grown D*mn Man Principle. [/i]

Unfortunately---as many people find when they insist upon exercising that principle---BC is finding out that no one is obliged to tolerate whatever you choose to say without complaint...and the consequences for mouthing-off in an irresponsible manner can be quite painful.

...and potentially expensive.

Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5

"People wouldn't know who Brandel Chamblee was if it wasn't for Tiger Woods, so I am completely against what he said and I think he should be dealt with in the right way."

What an extraordinarily stupid thing for Rory to say. Obviously wrong on its face, and obviously the man is too starry-eyed or otherwise overwhelmed by his hero to think straight on the subject.

Time to grow up and think for yourself McIlroy.

Chamblee apologizes again to Tiger, but what is he apologizing for?

by Zak Kozuchowski | October 30, 2013

Email Article

57387298-300x336.jpg

How many times can you apologize without actually apologizing? For Brandel Chamblee, the number is now two.

The Golf Channel analyst appeared on Golf Central on Wednesday and spoke with Rich Lerner about a Golf.com article he penned that gave Woods, who won five time on the PGA Tour in 2013, an “F” grade for the season because of his multiple rules infractions.

In the article, Chamblee wrote that Woods was “cavalier” with the rules, and then proceeded to compare Woods’ rules infractions to a test the analyst cheated on while in fourth grade.

“In comparing those incidents to my cheating episode in the fourth grade, I went too far,” Chamblee said in the interview. “Cheating involves intent. Now I, I know what my intent was on that fourth grade math test. But there’s no way that I could know with 100 percent certainty what Tiger’s intent was in any of those situations. That was my mistake.”

When asked if he had a vendetta against Woods, Chamblee said, “of course not.” But he admitted that he is sometimes forceful with his opinions on Woods, and that he caused a problem for Golf Channel by writing the column. What he could have done next was finally say on camera that he was sorry to Tiger Woods. That would have been enough. But Chamblee went a different route, declaring that he would not write for any media outlet outside of Golf Channel/NBC.

“Tiger and his camp, they’re upset at Golf Channel; they specifically called Golf Channel out,” Chamblee said. “And to me they’re barking up the wrong tree. This column appeared on Golf.com, nobody here at Golf Channel knew anything about it and my editor at Golf.com asked me to rewrite the ending when I sent it in to him. I wished I would have listened to him. But all of this has made me realize that there is a conflict and a confusion when you work for one company and write for another company. So going forward, I’m not going to be writing for Golf Magazine beginning next year. I’ll be writing exclusively for GolfChannel.com, (NBCSports.com). And you know, that way if Tiger and his camp have an issue with something I write, they will at least be yelling at the right people.”

What’s apparently lost on Chamblee is that at no point has he addressed the real issue. He never said that he was wrong; that Tiger Woods, the most-watched golfer in history, couldn’t possible be a cheater on the golf course. But he did say this:

“My job as an analyst at Golf Channel requires me to analyze golf and offer my opinions. I’d like to think I’m pretty good at it.”

Sounds apologetic, doesn’t it?

Not knowing “with 100 percent certainty” what Tiger’s intent was during his rules infractions is a far cry from an apology. That’s why if Chamblee isn’t prepared to say that Woods isn’t a cheater, he shouldn’t be apologizing. Because what then is he really apologizing for?

You can go doing it forever, as long as you are not really sorry for what you did. You don't see it as being wrong...and are only "sorry" that you got caught at it, and now find yourself in trouble.

But at the end of the day, BC only has to convince two people of his sincerity.

His boss...and Tiger Woods.

Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5

[quote name='cardoustie' timestamp='1383247615' post='8084756']

[/quote]

1. BC has a responsibility to talk about golf's leading figure...but that is not a right to subject him to libelous accusations that BC couldn't possible back up with any evidence.

2. His editor and his own son agree that what he did was unprofessional and out of line.

3. If you actually knew what NPD actually is, you would realize that TW couldn't possibly be one....and I think most athlete's would get upset if they were accused of cheating, and had the legitimacy of all their professional accomplishments called into question.

THAT is what BC did...and doesn't even have the character to really admit it....and either genuinely apologize, or stand behind it and take the full brundt of the heat for it.

Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5

[quote name='Sunningdale' timestamp='1383248471' post='8084816']
"People wouldn't know who Brandel Chamblee was if it wasn't for Tiger Woods, so I am completely against what he said and I think he should be dealt with in the right way."

What an extraordinarily stupid thing for Rory to say. Obviously wrong on its face, and obviously the man is too starry-eyed or otherwise overwhelmed by his hero to think straight on the subject.

[/quote]

Or unlike so many "experts" here, McIlroy actually knows the human being....and has no agenda towards the public persona.

Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5

[quote name='Body_Visions' timestamp='1383247355' post='8084726']
[quote name='golfer' timestamp='1383246584' post='8084678']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Let's not "sugarcoat" it. [b]While I agree that the "rationalizations" of some fall apart when "closely examined", I firmly believe that "racism" and "envy" are the root causes for the dislike and "more reasons" do not exist.[/b] Much like performance, in my opinion, the lack of performance by any individual can be placed under the umbrellas of "willingness" and "ability". As such, the expressed reasons for dislike are masked under various descriptions, but each reason falls under the specific categories of "racism" and "envy" when they are "closely examined".
[/quote]

Wow, so everyone that doesn't like him is a racist? If he happened to be white, we would all like him, assuming we are all white? What if some are the same race?

I base my dslike of him on an entire career of things I don't like that he has done. Y'all choose to ignore them, if they bother you at all, and I don't
[/quote]

But you are a John Daly fan?

[quote name='kellygreen' timestamp='1383247921' post='8084780']
[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1383245975' post='8084628']
[quote name='kellygreen' timestamp='1383242861' post='8084352']
Perception is not Reality....because what you see often isn't the whole picture, or (worse) is just what that person wants you to see.

I've worked with people who are silky-smooth and oh-so-personable with patients and their families....but are shameless tyrants towards anyone who works for them, obnoxious to anyone who works with them....and treats their spouse like a concubine. I wouldn't let them treat one of my dogs.

OTOH, I've also worked with people who were terrible spouses....cheated shamelessly on them...but were such caring and ethical docs with their patients that I wouldn't have hesitated to let them take care of a family member. Even if I wouldn't have wanted them for an in-law.

We are all imperfect. The only question is in what area of our lives...to what degree we are...and whether we are honest with oursleves and others about it.
[/quote]

[/quote]

...and I am reminding you of the CONTEXT of that one person's behavior. A point that you seem to have overlooked.

NO ONE's life can withstand the degree of scrutiny that Woods has been subjected to, without revealing (many) imperfections.

That is why we no longer have "heroes". Because we now look far too closely at people, and drag their human imperfections into the light for fun, profit, and assuaging of our insecurities.

Churchill? Hero....or liar and alcoholic...or both?

FDR? Eisenhower? Heroes....or unfaithful husbands?

Babe Ruth. Sports heroe or shameless womanizer?

Ty Cobb. Sports heroe or your basic miserable b*st*rd?

Ben Hogan. "Wee Iceman"? Or self-absorbed guy with OCD who not only ignored the fans but ignored his fellow players when between the ropes?

Take the most beautiful woman in the world...and start tightening the focus...and you WILL reach a point where her imperfections overwhelm the beauty.
[/quote]

Kelly, you react like I should be having some kind of technicolor epiphany right now. You have your thoughts, I have mine. Neither of us will bend, so let's agree to disagree.

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='Sunningdale' timestamp='1383248471' post='8084816']

[/quote]

Good post. Way better than mine earlier in the thread on this subject.

Kelly, I'm still wondering if my dislike of Rory Sabbatini is based upon a deep down but maybe disguised hatred of white people?

Brandel literally has so little to refect upon regarding his own career and experiences that he had to drugde up a story of how he cheated in the 4th grade. This is whom some are getting behind as being "in the right?" Ummmm....OK.

Don't dignify this as "journalism." He's out of his league and reaching for anecdotal straws. Tiger is a major D-bag to the media and fans in general, but that doesn't justify B.C. and his 4th grade level of "journalism." Pick yer battles here, folks.

[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1383191692' post='8081956']
[quote name='QMany' timestamp='1383190752' post='8081894']
You can't act like this as an isolated incident between Brandel and Tiger. Brandel overstepped one too many times.
[/quote]
overstepped how?

Is every negative opinion an overstepping?
[quote name='turtleback' timestamp='1383190995' post='8081914']That is certainly a valid (albeit incorrect, IMO) opinion. But it has nothing to do with Madgolfer76's whine about a free press.

As to punishment fitting the crime? Maybe we should wait to see what if any punishment there is, since there hasn't been any so far. Personally I think a suspension of 2-4 weeks, including the next major, would be appropriate.
[/quote]
What was the crime?

Let's start there.
[/quote]

Accusing Tiger of cheating. When you draw a direct connection between his admitted case of cheating and Tiger, via the shared vehicle of the 100 crossed out and replaced with an F, that is a clear charge in my book, And yes it is not a crime in the sense that he is breaking a criminal law. But it certainly brings himself and any media outlet he appears on into disrepute.