2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Brandel reappears on Golf Channel

Brandel Chamblee returns to GC on their flagship program 'Golf Central', not seated at the desk, but in a big comfy chair across from Rich Lerner. Brandel offers an apology and Lerner throws him a hardball question: "Do you have a vendetta against Tiger Woods?" Brandel replies, "Of course not". He mentions from here on he will be no longer writing for Golf.com, where the infamous article appeared, and will be writing exclusively for Golf Channel.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='golfcarte' timestamp='1383170998' post='8080320']
Brandel Chamblee returns to GC on their flagship program 'Golf Central', not seated at the desk, but in a big comfy chair across from Rich Lerner. Brandel offers an apology and Lerner throws him a hardball question: "Do you have a vendetta against Tiger Woods?" Brandel replies, "Of course not". [b]He mentions from here on he will be no longer writing for Golf.com, where the infamous article appeared, and will be writing exclusively for Golf Channel[/b].
[/quote]

He essentially said what most of the sensible people here have been saying all along -- that cheating involves intent, and there is no way anyone can know that Tiger intended to cheat.

What he should have said was that it was OBVIOUS that there was no intent to break the rules in the first three incidents; only the BMW oscillation is even questionable by anyone with any objectivity. But of course, he didn't say that.

He did say that the reason he apologized on Twitter was that even his own son told him he was wrong.

Still, I'm glad he's back. I like his commentary in general, even though I get tired of him always finding something to criticize about Tiger, even when he wins.

[quote name='golfcarte' timestamp='1383171374' post='8080356']

imo, he looks and sounds a bit weakened. i'm sure this incident took a lot out of him.
[/quote]

Yep. He looks thinner. GC has him sitting next to Lerner so that makes him look physically smaller.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

What does "sincere" or "vendetta" have to do with a journalist stating the truth.

Tiger was cavalier with the rules. Won't be the last time either.

TM '07 Burner TP 8.5° Protopype 80X
TM '07 Burner TP 14.5° PX 10A2
Adams Pro Idea Gold 18° PX HB6
Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
Cleveland 588 RTG 51°/56°/60°
The Wilson 8802

[quote name='Brock Savage' timestamp='1383171524' post='8080382']

He essentially said what most of the sensible people here have been saying all along -- that cheating involves intent, and there is no way anyone can know that Tiger intended to cheat.

What he should have said was that it was OBVIOUS that there was no intent to break the rules in the first three incidents; only the BMW oscillation is even questionable by anyone with any objectivity. But of course, he didn't say that.

He did say that the reason he apologized on Twitter was that even his own son told him he was wrong.

Still, I'm glad he's back. I like his commentary in general, even though I get tired of him always finding something to criticize about Tiger, even when he wins.
[/quote]

and his own son probably had to endure a bunch of backlash as well, which i'm sure hurt brandel the most.

[quote name='SurfinTurf' timestamp='1383171665' post='8080390']
What does "sincere" or "vendetta" have to do with a journalist stating the truth.

Tiger was cavalier with the rules. Won't be the last time either.
[/quote]

You mean he was a gallant gentleman? I wouldn't go that far, but I won't argue the point.
[url="http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cavalier"]http://www.merriam-w...ionary/cavalier[/url]

But if you mean he doesn't care whether he plays by the rules, you have no grounds for saying that. At most, he's too confident that he knows the rules, and he should call in an official more often.

Full transcript, from TGC:

[b]RICH LERNER:[/b] Brandel, let's address the events of the last couple of weeks off the article that you wrote for Sports Illustrated's golf website Golf.com. You've had a chance to reflect on it, consider what you wrote. Is there anything you would have done differently, you wish you would have done differently?
[b]BRANDEL CHAMBLEE:[/b] A few things, Rich. You know, in offering my assessment of Tiger’s year and specifically looking at the incidents in Abu Dhabi, Augusta, Ponte Vedra and Chicago, I said Tiger Woods was cavalier about the rules. I should have stopped right there. In comparing those incidents to my cheating episode in the fourth grade, I went too far. Cheating involves intent. Now I, I know what my intent was on that fourth grade math test. But there's no way that I could know with one hundred percent certainty what Tiger's intent was in any of those situations. That was my mistake.
[b]LERNER:[/b] Blunt question: Do you have a vendetta against Tiger?
[b]CHAMBLEE:[/b] Of course not. My job as an analyst at Golf Channel requires me to analyze golf and offer my opinions. I'd like to think I'm pretty good at it. Tiger Woods is the best player in the game by miles, maybe the best player of all time. And over the years, I have said a lot of positive things about Tiger's golf swing and his accomplishments, and at times I've been critical, but that's my job. And my obligation to the viewer to not only talk about when Tiger plays well, but when he doesn't play well and put it into perspective, as well as every other player. Now at times, I can be a bit forceful with my opinions, and some would say too forceful too many times. Fair enough. And that was obviously the case in this instance. So much so that even my son chimed in on this issue.
[b]LERNER:[/b] Your son – what did he have to say about all of it?
[b]CHAMBLEE:[/b] Well I have a 45 minute drive to and from the school every day. So we've had a lot of time to talk about this as he and his buddies have read almost all of this online. And at one point in one of those drives he looked at me and he said, "Dad, if you'd been more diplomatic in what you wrote, perhaps people would be talking more about the issue than your assessment." He's a smart kid. And it wasn't until after he said that that I offered my apology on Twitter. Maybe I should have let my son read this column before I hit send on the email.
[b]LERNER:[/b] What's next in all of this?
[b]CHAMBLEE:[/b] Tiger and his camp, they're upset at Golf Channel; they specifically called Golf Channel out. And to me they're barking up the wrong tree. This column appeared on Golf.com, nobody here at Golf Channel knew anything about it and my editor at Golf.com asked me to rewrite the ending when I sent it in to him. I wished I would have listened to him. But all of this has made me realize that there is a conflict and a confusion when you work for one company and write for another company. So going forward, I'm not going to be writing for Golf Magazine beginning next year. I'll be writing exclusively for GolfChannel.com, (NBCSports.com). And you know, that way if Tiger and his camp have an issue with something I write, they will at least be yelling at the right people.

[quote name='Brock Savage' timestamp='1383172276' post='8080442']

[b]CHAMBLEE:[/b] Tiger and his camp, they're upset at Golf Channel; they specifically called Golf Channel out. And to me they're barking up the wrong tree. This column appeared on Golf.com, nobody here at Golf Channel knew anything about it...
[/quote]

definitely a cat-and-mouse game here, or should we say, tiger-and-mouse.

[quote name='Brock Savage' timestamp='1383171800' post='8080404']

You mean he was a gallant gentleman? I wouldn't go that far, but I won't argue the point.
[url="http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cavalier"]http://www.merriam-w...ionary/cavalier[/url]

But if you mean he doesn't care whether he plays by the rules, you have no grounds for saying that. At most, he's too confident that he knows the rules, and he should call in an official more often.
[/quote]

He probably meant this [i]cavalier[/i]

From the same link:

[b] [sup]2[/sup]cavalier[/b]
[i]adjective[/i]

: having or showing no concern for something that is important or serious

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

[url="http://www.cbssports.com/general/writer/gregg-doyel/24151540/tiger-leaning-on-golf-channel-to-fire-chamblee-a-dirty-move"]http://www.cbssports.com/general/writer/gregg-doyel/24151540/tiger-leaning-on-golf-channel-to-fire-chamblee-a-dirty-move[/url]

[url="http://www.cbssports.com/golf/players/playerpage/149765/tiger-woods"]Tiger Woods[/url] plays dirty, but then, we already knew that. And Brandel Chamblee wrote it. And here comes Tiger, confirming it.
By passive-aggressively [url="http://www.cbssports.com/golf/eye-on-golf/24151102/tiger-woods-on-chamblee-ball-is-in-court-of-golf-channel"]trying to get Chamblee fired[/url].
This is a bad-guy move Tiger is pulling, trying to use his power and influence -- let's be clear; his power and influence in golf are formidable -- to get a TV golf analyst fired for something the TV golf analyst didn't even say on TV. Chamblee wrote for Golf.com that Woods' grade for the 2013 season should be an 'F' for being [url="http://www.cbssports.com/golf/eye-on-golf/24103071/golf-writer-rips-tiger-woods-gives-him-grade-of-f-for-2013"]"a little cavalier with the rules."[/url]
Woods was penalized two strokes each for rules violations at three different events this season -- the Masters, the BMW Championship and the Abu Dhabi Championship -- and had a questionable drop at the Players Championship. Chamblee noted those and drew an analogy to a fourth-grade math test in which he says "I cheated" and was given a "100" with a line drawn through it.
Tiger's agent freaked out. Mark Steinberg called Chamblee's written commentary "the most deplorable thing I have seen. I'm not one for hyperbole, but this is absolutely disgusting. Calling him a cheater? I'll be shocked, stunned if something is not done about this. Something has to be done."
So that was the first time someone in Tiger's camp passive-aggressively suggested Chamblee should pay for his comments, one way or another.
[i]Something has to be done.[/i]
Steinberg took it a step further when he suggested Tiger might sue Chamblee for libel or slander or maybe just for being a big fat meanie.
"I'm not sure if there isn't legal action to be taken," Steinberg said. "I have to [url="http://www.cbssports.com/golf/eye-on-golf/24116655/tiger-woods-might-consider-legal-action-against-golf-writer"]give some thought to legal action."[/url]
That was a week ago. Then came Monday when Tiger and his agent, Steinberg, suggested someone else should punish Chamblee, presumably so Tiger and his people don't have to do it themselves.
This is what Tiger said on Monday:
"All I am going to say is that I know I am going forward. But then, I don't know what the Golf Channel is going to do or not. But then that's up to them. The whole issue has been very disappointing, as he didn't really apologize and he sort of reignited the whole situation. So the ball really is in the court of the Golf Channel and what they are prepared to do."
Lest any of us think that whole "ball is in their court" thing was just a theory that popped out of Tiger's mouth, here's what Steinberg said on Monday:
"I'm all done talking about it, and it's now in the hands of the Golf Channel," Steinberg said. "That's Tiger's view and that's mine, and all we want to do is move forward. And whether the Golf Channel moves forward as well, then we'll have to wait and see."
Unbelievable. The most powerful golfer in the world, and his agent, are leaning on Golf Channel to fire Chamblee for something he wrote for Golf.com. They could try to get Chamblee fired from the website -- which would also be a bad-guy move -- but Chamblee's biggest gig, by far, is on the television side. So that's where Tiger wants to hurt him. On the TV side.
All because Chamblee pointed out -- in a creative way -- that Tiger was, shall we say, cavalier with the rules during the 2013 season.
But facts are facts, and the facts would be Chamblee's defense in a slander lawsuit, should Woods file one, which he won't. Because he has no case -- and if he doesn't know it, Steinberg does. So in lieu of a legal remedy that doesn't exist, they're trying to cut off Chamblee's biggest source of income. Why? Because they can.
Now we'll see what Golf Channel does. The ball truly is in their court. We'll see if the people who run that network are as scared of Tiger Woods as Tiger Woods hopes they are.

bc looked physically weakened and with respect to his speaking tone, i could hardly hear the guy talk he was so downtrodeen and seemingly weary. i almost wondered if it was an imposter sitting in on his behalf as it's nothing like the high pitched, enraged, ready to pounce delivery he gets into when on a roll. it's a shame he continues to lie as again his documented twitter exchange that he went back to delete clearly shows he believed tiger willfully cheated. he's walking on egg shells and really doesn't have much room to err anymore

9* Synchron Revolver
14* Dynacraft Avatar
2-PW Titleist 690MB
56* & 60* Nike SV
Bobby Grace DCT Sunset
Innovex V Motion Tour

Is this really what we have been reduced to? Expecting a firing just because an editorial journalist says something about the wrong guy? There was no racial slur, no discriminatory comment at all.

Doesn't anyone else think this is sad? I sure as hell do.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

[quote name='golfcarte' timestamp='1383172768' post='8080482']
[url="http://www.cbssports.com/general/writer/gregg-doyel/24151540/tiger-leaning-on-golf-channel-to-fire-chamblee-a-dirty-move"]http://www.cbssports...ee-a-dirty-move[/url]

[url="http://www.cbssports.com/golf/players/playerpage/149765/tiger-woods"]Tiger Woods[/url] plays dirty, but then, we already knew that. And Brandel Chamblee wrote it. And here comes Tiger, confirming it.
By passive-aggressively [url="http://www.cbssports.com/golf/eye-on-golf/24151102/tiger-woods-on-chamblee-ball-is-in-court-of-golf-channel"]trying to get Chamblee fired[/url].
This is a bad-guy move Tiger is pulling, trying to use his power and influence -- let's be clear; his power and influence in golf are formidable -- to get a TV golf analyst fired for something the TV golf analyst didn't even say on TV. Chamblee wrote for Golf.com that Woods' grade for the 2013 season should be an 'F' for being [url="http://www.cbssports.com/golf/eye-on-golf/24103071/golf-writer-rips-tiger-woods-gives-him-grade-of-f-for-2013"]"a little cavalier with the rules."[/url]
Woods was penalized two strokes each for rules violations at three different events this season -- the Masters, the BMW Championship and the Abu Dhabi Championship -- and had a questionable drop at the Players Championship. Chamblee noted those and drew an analogy to a fourth-grade math test in which he says "I cheated" and was given a "100" with a line drawn through it.
Tiger's agent freaked out. Mark Steinberg called Chamblee's written commentary "the most deplorable thing I have seen. I'm not one for hyperbole, but this is absolutely disgusting. Calling him a cheater? I'll be shocked, stunned if something is not done about this. Something has to be done."
So that was the first time someone in Tiger's camp passive-aggressively suggested Chamblee should pay for his comments, one way or another.
[i]Something has to be done.[/i]
Steinberg took it a step further when he suggested Tiger might sue Chamblee for libel or slander or maybe just for being a big fat meanie.
"I'm not sure if there isn't legal action to be taken," Steinberg said. "I have to [url="http://www.cbssports.com/golf/eye-on-golf/24116655/tiger-woods-might-consider-legal-action-against-golf-writer"]give some thought to legal action."[/url]
That was a week ago. Then came Monday when Tiger and his agent, Steinberg, suggested someone else should punish Chamblee, presumably so Tiger and his people don't have to do it themselves.
This is what Tiger said on Monday:
"All I am going to say is that I know I am going forward. But then, I don't know what the Golf Channel is going to do or not. But then that's up to them. The whole issue has been very disappointing, as he didn't really apologize and he sort of reignited the whole situation. So the ball really is in the court of the Golf Channel and what they are prepared to do."
Lest any of us think that whole "ball is in their court" thing was just a theory that popped out of Tiger's mouth, here's what Steinberg said on Monday:
"I'm all done talking about it, and it's now in the hands of the Golf Channel," Steinberg said. "That's Tiger's view and that's mine, and all we want to do is move forward. And whether the Golf Channel moves forward as well, then we'll have to wait and see."
Unbelievable. The most powerful golfer in the world, and his agent, are leaning on Golf Channel to fire Chamblee for something he wrote for Golf.com. They could try to get Chamblee fired from the website -- which would also be a bad-guy move -- but Chamblee's biggest gig, by far, is on the television side. So that's where Tiger wants to hurt him. On the TV side.
All because Chamblee pointed out -- in a creative way -- that Tiger was, shall we say, cavalier with the rules during the 2013 season.
But facts are facts, and the facts would be Chamblee's defense in a slander lawsuit, should Woods file one, which he won't. Because he has no case -- and if he doesn't know it, Steinberg does. So in lieu of a legal remedy that doesn't exist, they're trying to cut off Chamblee's biggest source of income. Why? Because they can.
Now we'll see what Golf Channel does. The ball truly is in their court. We'll see if the people who run that network are as scared of Tiger Woods as Tiger Woods hopes they are.
[/quote]

OH!!! dear,, that is pretty heavy

[quote name='rafal' timestamp='1383173122' post='8080510']
Great guy that Tiger Woods. His retirement can't come soon enough.
[/quote]

I said a while ago it will be very interesting when he retires. I think you are going to see a lot of stories come out that won't be too flattering, by people who feel too scared to share those opinions now

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1383173301' post='8080522']
Is this really what we have been reduced to? Expecting a firing just because an editorial journalist says something about the wrong guy? There was no racial slur, no discriminatory comment at all.

Doesn't anyone else think this is sad? I sure as hell do.
[/quote]
Vin

In reality its about opinions and many people looked on in horror at what went on inside the ropes this year ,even on this site Tiger is a topic that divides the US, The rest of the world don't really care one iota as long as the tradition and the rules of the game are upheld, What Tiger was thinking at times , we will have to wait until some asks Edward Snowden,,,,
ps I agree with you Its sad

They really did want to make Brandel fired and hurt to the fullest. Amazing.

Given such reaction, I believe TW is afraid. Before I learned about it I thought he'd just laugh it off.

I mean....it was a blog article on a WEBSITE! Holy crap!

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works