2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Brandel reappears on Golf Channel

[quote name='golfcarte' timestamp='1383172768' post='8080482']
[url="http://www.cbssports.com/general/writer/gregg-doyel/24151540/tiger-leaning-on-golf-channel-to-fire-chamblee-a-dirty-move"]http://www.cbssports...ee-a-dirty-move[/url]

... and had a questionable drop at the Players Championship.
[/quote]

By saying that, the author of that article shows that he is either an ignoramus who doesn't know the rules of golf, or is consciously writing a hit piece, rather than practicing journalism. So there's really no point in reading the rest of the article.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='rafal' timestamp='1383173122' post='8080510']
Great guy that Tiger Woods. His retirement can't come soon enough.
[/quote]

Retirement ? Retirement !?!

ranks right up there with...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3-eavMSBnk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3-eavMSBnk[/url]

you want your retirement? here's your retirement (lol)...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d29VsG35DQM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d29VsG35DQM[/url]

I would be much more sympathetic to BC if he had exercised a little more "analysis" with his article. That is BC's big problem in my mind, he wants to be controversial so much that he doesn't let the facts get in his way. He is the Skip Bayless of the Golf Channel. He did some of the same thing with his "analysis" of Tiger's swing changes. If he were more analyst and less of a shock-jock wanna be this whole episode would not have happened.

So the whole conversation is now about Chamblee acknowledging his mistake.

Has Tiger done this?

It's been said he wouldn't even watch the video that Slugger White tried to present of the latest moving ball episode, let alone offer an apology.

Does the press have an obligation to act "gallant"? If so, wouldn't the first obligation of such gallantry to be towards the game?

This is about money and power and the ego of an individual.

It should be about "journalistic integrity" and the need for such to defend anything of value.

TM '07 Burner TP 8.5° Protopype 80X
TM '07 Burner TP 14.5° PX 10A2
Adams Pro Idea Gold 18° PX HB6
Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
Cleveland 588 RTG 51°/56°/60°
The Wilson 8802

Thirst for revenge on Tiger's part tells me he's in a bit of panic mode. Whether it's his declining relevance in sports and marketing, or simply a voracious ego that must be fed, it's not a good sign.

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

I don't like how Tiger handled this. Trying to get someone in the golf media fired because they dissed him. Media guys can say whatever they want, as long as it's not blatantly racist. What Kelly said was not racist, but she was suspended by GC. Luckily, the Great One (Tiger), stood and gave a thumbs up. Her career was saved. Seriously?

Why should Brandel be thrown under the bus because he said what everyone else saw on TV .

Tiger Woods has APPEARED to bend the rules and does not like being questioned.

It is like when 20 men moved that small stone in Scottsdale !

No one person is bigger than the game or above its rules.

If he truly believed that the ball did not move , he should have still taken the penalty with the grace of a gentleman.

Tantrums and golf do not mix.

He is the greatest golfer that was ever born.

Brandel Chamblee has a job to critique the play of golfers and their actions.

So he was only doing his job.

In my opinion if Tiger Woods took legal action he would lose and also lose a lot of money.

Brandel Chamblee has only ever been what the internet and TV has made of him; a big talker that's bought his own press. From my perspective, sheepish fits... I wouldn't be surprised if the powers to be sat on him hard, to the point of him realizing he's not as big, tough, independent or as important as he thought. That's not to say TW didn't deserve some of the flack; its to say Brandel isn't big or tough enough to teach anyone a lesson in much anything.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

Brandel wrote an article that wasn't very well written - he had a valid point to make, but used poor choice in how he made it. Many writers have written poor articles, with little or no ramifications. Tiger however, doesn't take anything negative well...his "blacklist" has been well documented. His public attempt to pressure Golf Channel into punishing Brandel defines Tiger's character.

Titleist TSi3 10 Evenflow Riptide MX 60 6.0
Titleist TSi2 15 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
Titleist TS2 19 Tensei CK Blue 70 S
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4-P Modus3 Tour 105 S
Callaway Jaws 50, 54, 58 DG Tour 115
Odyssey 2-ball ten tour lined, Toulon Las Vegas

Not to sure about the later [b]@hardxray[/b]... We know TW lives in his own world of right from wrong. If I were a betting man, he'll do something similar again; give him time.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey

Brandel Chamblee is not good at his job. To me his analysis is so convoluted you can barely understand what he is saying. He attacks Tiger Woods swing mercilessly and again to me what he says is usually stupid. That said I believe Tiger Woods does bend the rules, is cavalier and is a win at all costs player who has never admitted any of his mistakes. So basically I can't stand either of them but I am siding with Chamblee here because Tiger is a bully who I do not like.

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1383176823' post='8080832']
Not to sure about the later [b]@hardxray[/b]... We know TW lives in his own world of right from wrong. If I were a betting man, he'll do something similar again; give him time.
[/quote]

I know nothing about the twitter-sphere so I apologize, but who's twitter is that, if you don't mind me asking?

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1383173301' post='8080522']
Is this really what we have been reduced to? Expecting a firing just because an editorial journalist says something about the wrong guy? There was no racial slur, no discriminatory comment at all.

Doesn't anyone else think this is sad? I sure as hell do.
[/quote]

These are usually debates that I don't jump in or get involved because generally I think it's fluff and not even worth discussing. Brandel, I think had it coming for awhile-- he's like a cheaper version of Skip Bayless and IMO does not have the clout (is that the word I want?) to play that game. I think a lot of his content is poor and the whole hang on Tiger Woods act is completely stale. The things he says and the way he says it aren't even entertaining-- at least Skip is entertaining even if his content isn't 100% accurate. Brandel is an ex golf pro and still doesn't understand the ball flight laws (which is definitely another top 5 thread that I won't enter and discuss on here) so after this mess I don't see this as sad. Calling someone out for cheating in golf is pretty much the worse accusation in golf-- and being that Tiger has had the cameras on him for 5 hours every time he tees it up for the last 20 years without that reputation (as a cheat) then what is Brandel thinking? Tiger knows he doesn't get a second out of the public eye on the course so why would he knowingly cheat? I guess you can say the same for his personal life and those transgressions too.

Again, this is not usually something I get involved in as I hate the whining on here about golf commentating (usually I don't think its that bad) and for the first time I'm willing to say I think watching golf would be better off without listening to Brandel.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

Tiger is guilty of breaking the rules, he'd admit to that. However, Brandel is clearly implying that he interned and in any situation intends to cheat to gain an advantage. Professionally that was inappropriate, Brandel should have known better. But he's not a professional, his personal grudge with tiger is blatantly obvious.

[quote name='Bobalu' timestamp='1383175348' post='8080702']
I don't like how Tiger handled this. Trying to get someone in the golf media fired because they dissed him.
[/quote]

Jeez, can everybody get a grip? Neither Tiger nor Steinberg said anything about firing Chamblee. They didn't even say he should be suspended for a week, or that his salary should be docked. All they said was that the ball was in GC's court. For all anybody knows, all they wanted was an on-air apology, a speculation supported by the fact that, lame as it was, that's what they got in the first two minutes of Brandel on TGC since his article.

People are welcome to think what they want, but don't act as if your speculation is fact. The only guy who's said "fired" is the numbskull who wrote the hit piece on the CBS Sports website.

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1383177654' post='8080886']

These are usually debates that I don't jump in or get involved because generally I think it's fluff and not even worth discussing. Brandel, I think had it coming for awhile-- he's like a cheaper version of Skip Bayless and IMO does not have the clout (is that the word I want?) to play that game. I think a lot of his content is poor and the whole hang on Tiger Woods act is completely stale. The things he says and the way he says it aren't even entertaining-- at least Skip is entertaining even if his content isn't 100% accurate. Brandel is an ex golf pro and still doesn't understand the ball flight laws (which is definitely another top 5 thread that I won't enter and discuss on here) so after this mess I don't see this as sad. Calling someone out for cheating in golf is pretty much the worse accusation in golf-- and being that Tiger has had the cameras on him for 5 hours every time he tees it up for the last 20 years without that reputation (as a cheat) then what is Brandel thinking? Tiger knows he doesn't get a second out of the public eye on the course so why would he knowingly cheat? I guess you can say the same for his personal life and those transgressions too.

Again, this is not usually something I get involved in as I hate the whining on here about golf commentating (usually I don't think its that bad) and for the first time I'm willing to say I think watching golf would be better off without listening to Brandel.
[/quote]

Well done!

The counter argument...

Who cares if BC writes garbage, sophomoric nonsense

and got his clock cleaned for it?

Knocked out.

TW is bad man.

[quote name='Brock Savage' timestamp='1383178411' post='8080936']

Jeez, can everybody get a grip? Neither Tiger nor Steinberg said anything about firing Chamblee. They didn't even say he should be suspended for a week, or that his salary should be docked. All they said was that the ball was in GC's court. For all anybody knows, all they wanted was an on-air apology.

People are welcome to think what they want, but don't act as if your speculation is fact. The only guy who's said "fired" is the numbskull who wrote the article on the CBS Sports website.
[/quote]
Yes true, but why should the GC issue an apology, this was an article in Golf.com, Noothing to do with the GC, Brandel seems to be a free agent and works for both

[quote name='Brock Savage' timestamp='1383178411' post='8080936']

Jeez, can everybody get a grip? Neither Tiger nor Steinberg said anything about firing Chamblee. They didn't even say he should be suspended for a week, or that his salary should be docked. All they said was that the ball was in GC's court. For all anybody knows, all they wanted was an on-air apology, a speculation supported by the fact that, lame as it was, that's what they got in the first two minutes of Brandel on TGC since his article.

People are welcome to think what they want, but don't act as if your speculation is fact. The only guy who's said "fired" is the numbskull who wrote the hit piece on the CBS Sports website.
[/quote]

What's GC have to do with Golf.com blog article? Of course he was calling for a boycott of Chamblee and throwing him out of golf journalism.

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1383177238' post='8080860']

I know nothing about the twitter-sphere so I apologize, but who's twitter is that, if you don't mind me asking?
[/quote]

Its not a twitter #hashtag. I use @screenname and bold it when I am not directly replying to someone. Don't feel bad about not know much about Twitter... I seldom use it.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey

[quote name='Pat_Irish' timestamp='1383178642' post='8080954']

Yes true, but why should the GC issue an apology, this was an article in Golf.com, Noothing to do with the GC, Brandel seems to be a free agent and works for both
[/quote]
It's likely to do with his professional misconduct. Brandel crossed the line by implying tigers intentions. When his editor said to change it, he should have listened. He thought he was untouchable, obviously not.

why isn't this being discussed?

[b]CHAMBLEE:[/b] Tiger and his camp, they're upset at Golf Channel; they specifically called Golf Channel out. And to me they're barking up the wrong tree. [u][b]This column appeared on [url="http://Golf.com"]Golf.com[/url], nobody here at Golf Channel knew anything about it and my editor at [url="http://Golf.com"]Golf.com[/url] asked me to rewrite the ending when I sent it in to him. I wished I would have listened to him.[/b][/u]

there's nothing else to be said in his defense....his ego took him down this path and it got humbled

9* Synchron Revolver
14* Dynacraft Avatar
2-PW Titleist 690MB
56* & 60* Nike SV
Bobby Grace DCT Sunset
Innovex V Motion Tour

So, didn't read the whole article, but rors and tiger think a guy hired to proffer somewhat controversial opinions should not, in fact, be offering those opinions?

Rors and tiger, that makes as much sense as those people that said you should not have taken $200M+ from Nike or that you should have WD'ed from the masters. Its your job - getting paid is the goal - mission accomplished, right? Well, same thing with Chamblee.

Sensitive ninnies.