2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Need some advice on Bandon...

nfinch10

[quote name='av1084' timestamp='1394577015' post='8850625']
Restarting a somewhat older thread here. Headed to Bandon in just about a month. After much research, have decided to skip Bandon Trails and play Pacific Dunes twice in my 4 rounds + Bandon Preserve. Now I know there will be some shakes of the head, but I figure after taking the time and money to go to Bandon, I want to play what Bandon is really all about (ocean, wind, links, etc - not just a super nice course that happens to be at Bandon just for the sake of it). Plus I see a lot of similarities to Streamsong (potentially?) which I have already played.

Any recent Bandon goers have any more caddy recommendations? I've picked up a name or two here and there, even from this thread, but just wanted to see if anyone had any other good experiences as well. Will be playing with the wife if that changes anything. Feel free to PM as well, even about any advice in general. Thanks in advance!
[/quote]

Aaron Hill- Best caddy I have ever had

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='tonster' timestamp='1394577509' post='8850671']
Restarting a somewhat older thread here. Headed to Bandon in just about a month. After much research, have decided to skip Bandon Trails and play Pacific Dunes twice in my 4 rounds + Bandon Preserve. Now I know there will be some shakes of the head, but I figure after taking the time and money to go to Bandon, I want to play what Bandon is really all about (ocean, wind, links, etc - not just a super nice course that happens to be at Bandon just for the sake of it). Plus I see a lot of similarities to Streamsong (potentially?) which I have already played.

Any recent Bandon goers have any more caddy recommendations? I've picked up a name or two here and there, even from this thread, but just wanted to see if anyone had any other good experiences as well. Will be playing with the wife if that changes anything. Feel free to PM as well, even about any advice in general. Thanks in advance!
[/quote]

Just be aware that Pacific Dunes by far has the worst greens of all the courses.

The assumption that you can play a course like Trails anywhere else is a huge misconception. Where else do you find a Coore/Crenshaw tree lined course built with fescue turf?
[/quote]

Agreed. If you have time to play 4 full length rounds, then you really really should play each of them :)
I've yet to play the full 18 on Trails, but when I played the holes that were open last Feb I had a lovely time enjoying playing some awesome golf holes in a secluded seaside forest. I had the place to myself - bar the occasional construction worker and marshal to ferry me to the 16th tee - and had an impromptu picnic while there amidst the peace and quiet.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[quote name='tonster' timestamp='1394577509' post='8850671']

[/quote]

Just be aware that Pacific Dunes by far has the worst greens of all the courses.

The assumption that you can play a course like Trails anywhere else is a huge misconception. Where else do you find a Coore/Crenshaw tree lined course built with fescue turf?
[/quote]

I know. Believe me. I don't want to make it sound like I am knocking Trails, but its something I decided on after getting the input of many. Although it has been bugging me...maybe I will get the wife to add an extra Bandon day.......

Poor Trails. I'm disappointed how much this course gets overlooked. Coore/Crenshaw is one of the top design teams in modern golf architecture and it's not like they just gave a mediocre effort on coastal forests because there wasn't any ocean views. Don't be fooled it's not your typical parkland style. Trails plays firm and fast like other tracks.

Pacific greens don't look glamorous but they roll perfectly fine.

Caddies are subject to availability. If you reserved a caddie when you made reservations you'll most likely get a good caddie. Btw Aaron is an great guy and is a top notch caddie. Thr caddy yard is full of great loopers.

I also cannot understand excluding Trails?

Played it for the first time last month and it was incredible. Different, but oh so good in so many ways. For myself, I just wouldn't be content with leaving one of the four off my list, hence my playing Old Mac this week (and Pac again).

I had Joey last month and he was awesome. I only booked on 3 days notice this week so we'll see who I get.

[/quote]

We had Randy last year, and requested him (plus another - we have a larger group) this year.

I think skipping Trails is a BIG mistake.

[/quote]

I'm going to have to agree with the majority. I think everyone has their favorites, but playing all the courses there is the way to go. Last April we treated Trails like the kid brother course, but I ended up liking it and here are my course rankings after two trips to Bandon:
1. Pacific Dunes
2. Bandon Trails (Agree that this is the most beautiful course. If it were possible to have trees, hills, and elevation with more water views, I bet this would be the favorite)
3. Bandon Dunes
4. Old Macdonald

In a about a week we are hitting up BT/PD, BD/OM, PD and Preserve. My view is that the ocean courses give you all that you want, but a different viewpoint is always appreciated. I've read on this forum that many caddies consider BT their favorite. I wanted to put BT in the middle of my five rounds, but scheduling dictated that we play it first.

Love seeing the support on Trails. Even with all of the hype of Pacific @ #1 and all the recognition of the oceanside golf at Bandon Dunes Resort, Trails is still ranked 16th on the Top 100 you can play. It didn't get that spot because of the popularity of it's siblings, its because of holes like 6,8,11,13,14,16,17. It's also the most challenging course, which is why a lot of hacks don't like it. You also get to stand in the same spot Kieser did when he told Shorty "This is perfect for golf." and decided to purchase the land. That place isn't about the individuality of the courses, it's the resort/golfing experience as a whole. Hope you get that extra day to finish you Bandon Dunes experience.

If I was going there would be no way I'd skip one. My dad played there probably 4 years ago before OM was made and said Trails was his favourite. If I was going, I'm planning a trip with my buddies we'll see if it comes to fruition, I'd probably go PD/OM and then Trails/BD. I don't think I'd want to play PD and BD on the same day as apparently they're the most similar.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

[quote name='knock it close' timestamp='1394658459' post='8857927']
If I was going there would be no way I'd skip one. My dad played there probably 4 years ago before OM was made and said Trails was his favourite. If I was going, I'm planning a trip with my buddies we'll see if it comes to fruition, I'd probably go PD/OM and then Trails/BD. I don't think I'd want to play PD and BD on the same day as apparently they're the most similar.
[/quote]

That is actually exactly how they booked my rounds. Playing OM/PD in 8 hours. :)

[/quote]

They are the most similar. For that reason (only) if I HAD to skip one, it would be BD. Having said that, we did BD/PD one day and it was glorious. There are no bad 36-day pairings at Bandon ;-)

[quote name='Chris_NH' timestamp='1394708368' post='8861405']
[/quote]

They are the most similar. For that reason (only) if I HAD to skip one, it would be BD. Having said that, we did BD/PD one day and it was glorious. There are no bad 36-day pairings at Bandon ;-)
[/quote]

Agreed. I played OM/BD on the first day, and PD/BT the second day. If I had to skip one, it would be BD.

Tip of the Week: If you play 36 a day, a) buy some good socks, preferably the type of sock used by long distance runners, as you need to keep your feet dry, and b) change your socks between rounds.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I haven't played BT since 2009 when OM replaced it on our three course annual pilgrimage to Bandon.

I have loved playing OM for the last four visits, however we are replacing it with BT next year.

While I love OM, I love it because it is so unique on such a grand scale. I often describe the OM experience as sexy and voluptuous.

That being said, I often judge a golf course based on whether I would enjoy playing it everyday.

With that in mind, OM may be considered a bit of a grind compared to BT.

Put another way, I like to think of OM as a rare treat, whereas BT is a layout one could play everyday.

For our group, deciding which of the four to skip always comes down to OM vs BT. No one can decide when BD vs PD is considered.

In our last two visits, we play the Preserve in the morning then one of the 18 hole courses at noon. We find it more fun and relaxing than trying to get 36 in on one day.

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

[quote name='njlam' timestamp='1394723999' post='8862787']
In our last two visits, we play the Preserve in the morning then one of the 18 hole courses at noon. We find it more fun and relaxing than trying to get 36 in on one day.
[/quote]

Agreed. 36 a day is anything but relaxing. It's a grind. I played 72 in 2 days, with a rickshaw in the pm each day, and it was brutal. :-)

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I'm heading to Bandon in November. As of right now, here is the itinerary:

Wednesday: 8:00 Preserve, 11:50 Old Mac
Thursday: 7:30 Pacific Dunes, 12:30 Bandon Dunes
Friday:7:40 Old Mac, 1:30 Preserve
Saturday: 7:30 Bandon Dunes, 12:30 Pacific Dunes

After talking to a few very helpful guys on here, I realize this schedule was a mistake, and I want to play Bandon Trails at least once. I think having the Preserve at those times is idea to allow us to get in town rested and break up the middle of the trip with a less stressful round. That being said, if I had to take out one (or two) of the others schedule to make room for Bandon Trails, what would you recommend?

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1394724291' post='8862811']
[/quote]

Agreed. 36 a day is anything but relaxing. It's a grind. I played 72 in 2 days, with a rickshaw in the pm each day, and it was brutal. :-)
[/quote]

36 a day is the most financially acceptable package for me....saves a hotel day and halves the second round fee. Otherwise the costs go up exponentially with just one round a day.

That being said, if money wasn't an issue I'd love to stay for a week, splitting time here and there between the 5 courses and the practice area at a leisurely pace.

[quote name='QMany' timestamp='1394725623' post='8862929']

After talking to a few very helpful guys on here, I realize this schedule was a mistake, and I want to play Bandon Trails at least once. I think having the Preserve at those times is idea to allow us to get in town rested and break up the middle of the trip with a less stressful round. That being said, if I had to take out one (or two) of the others schedule to make room for Bandon Trails, what would you recommend?
[/quote]

I'd definitely swap out Bandon Dunes on Saturday morning for the Trails, as you are already playing the Dunes on Thursday afternoon. The Trail is a tough walk, so playing it in the morning when you're fresh makes sense.

Five hours is going to be tight, as it will probably not allow time for lunch. PD and OM are long courses, and I averaged close to 5 hours on each. You may want to push the afternoon rounds back to 1:00 pm.

[/quote]

I'd take out the 1:30 on Preserve and replace it with Trails. I didn't follow the whole thread and know everybody has different expectations of what constitutes "fun" and what is "physically challenging" but I played 10 rounds (plus a couple on preserve which I'm not including) in 4 days last April and didn't find it overally hard. And other than being fairly young at 28 I'm in pretty awful shape (spend my days sitting in front of a computer). I'm going back in September and am just doing 36 holes a day this time though not because of the physical challenge but because it really isn't much fun to rush through your second tee time to try to get that third round in though. Caddies do make a big difference here as we used them for all of our rounds except for the 3rd round of our day on two days.

[quote name='av1084' timestamp='1394726654' post='8863061']
[/quote]

[/quote]

36 a day is the most financially acceptable package for me....saves a hotel day and halves the second round fee. Otherwise the costs go up exponentially with just one round a day.

That being said, if money wasn't an issue I'd love to stay for a week, splitting time here and there between the 5 courses and the practice area at a leisurely pace.
[/quote]

I don't disagree. I was in the same boat. 'Just saying that 36 a day is not a walk in the park. I stayed in a small hotel in Bandon the night I arrived, so I saved a few $$$'s on lodging.

[quote name='av1084' timestamp='1394726654' post='8863061']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

If you already walk when you play, then 36/day isn't going to be a death march.
My two winter trips I did 118 - 4 days and 103 - 3 days, playing the main 4 courses.
The key bits to make it as easy as possible: Used a pull cart for all of it. Good breakfast. Good dinner. Good night's sleep :)

I can understand that is not for everyone, but for me it worked great.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[quote name='lowndes' timestamp='1394727266' post='8863165']

[/quote]

I'd take out the 1:30 on Preserve and replace it with Trails. I didn't follow the whole thread and know everybody has different expectations of what constitutes "fun" and what is "physically challenging" but I played 10 rounds (plus a couple on preserve which I'm not including) in 4 days last April and didn't find it overally hard. And other than being fairly young at 28 I'm in pretty awful shape (spend my days sitting in front of a computer). I'm going back in September and am just doing 36 holes a day this time though not because of the physical challenge but because it really isn't much fun to rush through your second tee time to try to get that third round in though. Caddies do make a big difference here as we used them for all of our rounds except for the 3rd round of our day on two days.
[/quote]

Lol. It must be that "28" thing. :-) I played 4 rounds in 2 days, with the Preserve on the 3rd day, and it was tough on this overweight 50 year old with bad knees. I used a rickshaw in the pm, so having a caddie for both rounds a day would have certainly helped.

The trails is a tougher walk than the other courses, so I wouldn't combine it the other 18 hole courses, unless you played it in the morning, and played one of the other courses for the 2nd time in the PM. That's why I suggested it on Saturday morning.

I think I will trade out one of the Bandon Dunes rounds for Bandon Trails. I would like to push back the afternoon tee times, but at the time of the year I'm going, I have to squeeze them as tight as possible in order to get 36 during daylight.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

"nfinch10": what happened with your trip to Bandon? I start reading the thread and advice. Your wife insisted on a 4th day. We are rapidly approaching the big day and then "poof" we are in 2014. Nary a word on the trip. Kind of like picking up a book, reading it and then finding out the last chapter was ripped out. Very disappointing.

[quote name='QMany' timestamp='1394727955' post='8863287']
I think I will trade out one of the Bandon Dunes rounds for Bandon Trails. I would like to push back the afternoon tee times, but at the time of the year I'm going, I have to squeeze them as tight as possible in order to get 36 during daylight.
[/quote]

Yes, daylight is going to be a factor. However, I'd hate for you to rush through the finishing holes on the morning round, and possibly skip lunch, to make the afternoon tee time, especially if your playing the course in the afternoon for the 2nd time.

I'm not sure how crowded they are in November, but hopefully the morning rounds won't push past the 4.5 hour mark.

My schedule is as follows (headed there second week of April):

Monday-arrive early afternoon, Preserve 4:30 pm
Tuesday- Old Mac 8:10, Pacific Dunes (switch to Trails) 1:50 pm
Wednesday-Pacific Dunes 8:10, Bandon Dunes 1:50 pm

Monday and Wednesday will be with the wife. As I stated earlier after you guys' input I will be switching the first Pacific Dunes round with Bandon Trails. My plan was to play all the Oceanside courses with the lady since that's all she really cares about, although I am trying to somehow get her to try Old Mac. That being said, the way it is, do you think that's a good order?

[quote name='av1084' timestamp='1394729626' post='8863501']
My schedule is as follows (headed there second week of April):

Monday-arrive early afternoon, Preserve 4:30 pm
Tuesday- Old Mac 8:10, Pacific Dunes (switch to Trails) 1:50 pm
Wednesday-Pacific Dunes 8:10, Bandon Dunes 1:50 pm

Monday and Wednesday will be with the wife. As I stated earlier after you guys' input I will be switching the first Pacific Dunes round with Bandon Trails. My plan was to play all the Oceanside courses with the lady since that's all she really cares about, although I am trying to somehow get her to try Old Mac. That being said, the way it is, do you think that's a good order?
[/quote]

Looks A-OK.

Depending on the time of year 36 holes can feel too rushed. In November, when I usually go, you need to get an early tee time for the first round, skip lunch and tee off right away on the second round if you want to finish the full 18 before it gets dark. If the weather is not good this can be more of a grind than a memorable experience.

While it may be my advancing age (50s), finishing in the darkness with sore feet and an aching back on the second round of 18 can take away from the overall enjoyment.

At Bandon, I consider the warm up (either on the range or at the Preserve), and the warm down (refreshments and meals at any of the great facilities on the property) to be integral parts of the overall Bandon experience.

You can smoke cigars indoors at the Bunker Bar!

As I have said before, I really think the Preserve is a good addition to an 18 hole day. A lot of the caddies hate the Preserve because the number of 18 hole rerounds has gone down since it opened....the Punchbowl will have the same effect.

I like the Preserve so much I could play it all day.

Don't try to do too much when you are at Bandon...would you chug a fine single malt?

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

[quote name='njlam' timestamp='1394763428' post='8867447']
Depending on the time of year 36 holes can feel too rushed. In November, when I usually go, you need to get an early tee time for the first round, skip lunch and tee off right away on the second round if you want to finish the full 18 before it gets dark. If the weather is not good this can be more of a grind than a memorable experience.

While it may be my advancing age (50s), finishing in the darkness with sore feet and an aching back on the second round of 18 can take away from the overall enjoyment.

At Bandon, I consider the warm up (either on the range or at the Preserve), and the warm down (refreshments and meals at any of the great facilities on the property) to be integral parts of the overall Bandon experience.

You can smoke cigars indoors at the Bunker Bar!

As I have said before, I really think the Preserve is a good addition to an 18 hole day. A lot of the caddies hate the Preserve because the number of 18 hole rerounds has gone down since it opened....the Punchbowl will have the same effect.

I like the Preserve so much I could play it all day.

Don't try to do too much when you are at Bandon...would you chug a fine single malt?
[/quote]

I can't disagree. I was there in August, and I still felt hurried to get in 36 a day. In a way, it's a shame the courses have an out and back layout. It would be nice to book the front 9 holes for the PM round the first day, and finish the back nine the afternoon of the second day. I don't believe they'd allow you to start on #10 on any of the courses.

I would say if you're going to book 2 rounds a day with limited daylight, give yourself the full treatment in the morning, i.e. don't rush, and accept that you're not going to get a full round in the afternoon before sunset. This probably means a 1 to 1:30 pm tee time in the afternoon.

Not so much the other courses, but if you want to play some afternoon golf with limited daylight and not be worried about finishing or not, Pacific Dunes is the one to go to.
You can play a loop of 1 to 4 with a middle loop of 5, 10-11 (could even throw 9 in) as many times over and then finish up with 6 - 7 and you're right back at the clubhouse :)
Playing those fantastic par 3s back to back to back as the sun goes down was the first of many cherished Bandon experiences.

F.T.