2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Need some advice on Bandon...

nfinch10

I just got back from Bandon.

It was my first trip.

We had a great caddy all three days - Kyle. Ask for him if he's available. A caddy is indispensable for targeting, distances and green reading.

We discussed the subject of course choices with Kyle.

Course choices would depend a little on your playing abilities, and if you will play from the back tees. I'm assuming the back tees in my comments.

Our caddy suggestion was that if it is your 1st visit, you must see Bandon Dunes and Pacific Dunes.(The ocean is unmatcheable by inland tracts. Both are difficult courses from the back tees - especially in the cold, wind, and rain. we experienced all of these conditions on different days).

Bandon Dunes was the first course built and somewhat conservative in design. The pro with us shot 67 , which is about as high as he could have scored, because he only missed 2 greens, missed a couple of 10-12 ft birdie putts and didn't birdie 2 of the par 5s.

Pacific Dunes is clearly the best course, making Pebble Beach, as an example, seem very ordinary and benign. It's actually shorter than the Dunes, and a par 71, but much more severe. ( the listed distances for these courses is misleading because the cool, thick air and constant wind make everything play at least one club longer - we had a 4 club wind in the rain on some holes). The par 3s, are the greatest I've played. Back to back 3s at 10 and 11 along the ocean are unique. The 17th has a spectacular setting, playing down hill to a green perched against a background of a giant gorse covered sand dune.

Old MacDonald is probably the most fun for average players. Replicas of famous Scottish course features like the Hell Bunker and Road Hole. Very open with little chance of lost balls. We played it with a lady in our group, and it's likely the best choice for women).

The caddy said that if you played a lot of rounds there, many people, and a lot of caddies who play a lot, eventually gravitate to Bandon Trails for its shot quality.

Take:
A pair of well tested walking shoes
A good rain suit
Rain gloves
Rain hat
Your A wind game ( Punched approach shots, often with a hybrid, and running pitches are needed )
A putter with which you have practiced long, run-up putts from well off greens.(I had a few 60-70 ft putts)

Breakfast buffet at Bandon Dunes clubhouse is wonderful.

A recommended restaurant in town is The Edgewater.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if this place has a boomerang reservation system....My group barely got off all our flights and travels home this week and the reservation was placed for next year...lol....it is just utterly fantastic...the shuttles are so underated as one of the best things....snap your fingers and within a minute you are from one place to the next....

[quote name='ddubya' timestamp='1384100029' post='8127478']
I wonder if this place has a boomerang reservation system....My group barely got off all our flights and travels home this week and the reservation was placed for next year...lol....it is just utterly fantastic...the shuttles are so underated as one of the best things....snap your fingers and within a minute you are from one place to the next....
[/quote]

You're so right. We were there at a very quiet time. Still, if we took the shuttles (perhaps) 5 times, I think we waited cumulatively about 4 minutes for them.

I love all the courses at Bandon. (In fact, my golden retriever's full name is Bandon Pacific Dunes MacDonald.). My ranking of the courses can change depending on mood. But, 1&2 is a combination of Pacific and Bandon. And 3&4 is a combination of Old Mac and Dunes. Today it's:
1) Pacific
2) Bandon
3) Old Mac
4) Dunes

[b]Driver:[/b] TaylorMade Tour Issue M3 8.9*, Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.2 Tour Spec X
[b]3 Wood:[/b] Taylormade R15 15*, Fujikura Motore F1X
[b]Hybrid:[/b] TaylorMade M1 19*, Fujikura Speeder Evo 82H X
[b]Irons:[/b] Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW , Tour Issue TT DG X100
[b]Wedges:[/b] Yururi Gekku Raw 49*, 53* & 57* Nippon NS Pro Modus3 130X
[b]Putter: [/b]Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

[quote name='OpusX20' timestamp='1384109589' post='8127950']
I love all the courses at Bandon. (In fact, my golden retriever's full name is Bandon Pacific Dunes MacDonald.). My ranking of the courses can change depending on mood. But, 1&2 is a combination of Pacific and Bandon. And 3&4 is a combination of Old Mac and Dunes. Today it's:
1) Pacific
2) Bandon
3) Old Mac
4) Dunes
[/quote]

Huh? You mean Trails instead of Dunes?

[quote name='Chris_NH' timestamp='1384114677' post='8128226']
[quote name='OpusX20' timestamp='1384109589' post='8127950']
1) Pacific
2) Bandon
3) Old Mac
4) Dunes
[/quote]

Huh? You mean Trails instead of Dunes?
[/quote]

Yes. Trails. Thx.

[b]Driver:[/b] TaylorMade Tour Issue M3 8.9*, Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.2 Tour Spec X

Wow! So much great advice, thanks everyone! My fiance and I were discussing the trip, and she basically forced me to add a fourth night! She also said she was fine with me golfing a bunch as long as it wasn't all day, every day. I'm think that I will be able to play at least one round a day, with one or two days getting multiple rounds in. Based off of the responses in this thread, my current preffered order is:

1.) Pacific Dunes
2/3) Bandon Dunes/Old Mac
4.) Bandon Trails

I don't doubt the quality of Bandon Trails, but just feel that I have played courses similar to it before, where as I have played very few true links courses. I plan on requesting a caddie, although may not request a specific one. I've read a few accounts of people being let down that they didn't get the one they requested. I'm pretty sure I'll get along with whoever I get.

While I have heard nothing but great things about the resort, we have decided not to stay there. We are bringing our 3 dogs and the resort doesn't allow pets. The price break you get for staying at the resort wasn't enough for us to leave the pack behind. Instead we rented a little house not far away with beach access.

Thanks again for all the great advice! I am soo excited for this trip, it will be hard to wait the next few weeks! Weather permitting, I'll take a buch of pics and update this thread after.

One other thing. You said she's "not a golfer". From that, I don't know if she's never played/has no interest, or if she just has played a couple of times and it's not her thing.

The reason I ask? If she has ever been inclined to try it, you should take her on The Preserve. You will love it. If she has any inclination to try a par 3, she will love it. The views and the course are gorgeous, and it's an easy way to introduce to her the majesty that Bandon represents.

Just a thought.

[quote name='nfinch10' timestamp='1384205380' post='8133086']
Wow! So much great advice, thanks everyone! My fiance and I were discussing the trip, and she basically forced me to add a fourth night! She also said she was fine with me golfing a bunch as long as it wasn't all day, every day. I'm think that I will be able to play at least one round a day, with one or two days getting multiple rounds in. Based off of the responses in this thread, my current preffered order is:

1.) Pacific Dunes
2/3) Bandon Dunes/Old Mac
4.) Bandon Trails

I don't doubt the quality of Bandon Trails, but just feel that I have played courses similar to it before, where as I have played very few true links courses. I plan on requesting a caddie, although may not request a specific one. I've read a few accounts of people being let down that they didn't get the one they requested. I'm pretty sure I'll get along with whoever I get.

While I have heard nothing but great things about the resort, we have decided not to stay there. We are bringing our 3 dogs and the resort doesn't allow pets. The price break you get for staying at the resort wasn't enough for us to leave the pack behind. Instead we rented a little house not far away with beach access.

Thanks again for all the great advice! I am soo excited for this trip, it will be hard to wait the next few weeks! Weather permitting, I'll take a buch of pics and update this thread after.
[/quote]

I agree with your course choices.

I'd also suggest you consider playing your favorites in reverse order, because you'll need a little time to get used to the style of play required, and the conditions.

The ball doesn't fly as far in the cool, damp air.
You'll need to get used to playing low, punched approaches on many shots inside 200 yds.
The lies are very thin on sandy fescue, so it's also easier to hit run up shots rather than wedges.

We played Old MacDonald/Bandon Dunes/Pacific Dunes - the reverse order of their ratings.

Because of the time of year and daylight savings time, you will have great difficulty playing 36 holes in 1 day. It is dark at 5PM.

We were just there and played quickly, but it still took 3 1/2 hrs. With 9:30 and 10AM tee times, we couldn't do it. You've got a very narrow window, and little time to waste between rounds.

Only chance is to get a 7:30-7:45 AM time.

The Preserve is a good 2nd course to play any day.

Unfortunately, the new putting course at Pacific Dunes is closed for the winter, and we regret missing that.

Have a great time.

BTW - If you are staying in town, or your fiancé will be shopping near the harbor - be aware of the Sunami warning horns. If they sound off, (and they did when we were there), get to higher ground!

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

Last year, my annual November group tried something different.

We booked the first round of each day at the Preserve at 830am and then played an 18 hole round at one of the other courses at 1130am.

The par three Preserve was a wonderful way to warm up, get a sense of the effects of the wind/rain (if any), and the jump start your golf shot imagination before taking on Bandon, Pacific, Old Mac and/or Trails.

The 1130am tee time allowed us to finish well before November darkness.

This year's trip starts this Friday with a morning round at the Portland Golf Club (home of the 2015 US Women's Amateur, and the 1947 Ryder Cup), followed by a four hour drive to Bandon. Saturday is the Preserve follows by Old Mac, Sunday is the Preserve followed by Bandon Dunes, and Monday Pacific Dunes are a finale, then back to reality.

Oregon golf is the best!

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

[quote name='njlam' timestamp='1384275902' post='8137480']

We booked the first round of each day at the Preserve at 830am and then played an 18 hole round at one of the other courses at 1130am.

The par three Preserve was a wonderful way to warm up, get a sense of the effects of the wind/rain (if any), and the jump start your golf shot imagination before taking on Bandon, Pacific, Old Mac and/or Trails.

This year's trip starts this Friday with a morning round at the Portland Golf Club (home of the 2015 US Women's Amateur, and the 1947 Ryder Cup), followed by a four hour drive to Bandon. Saturday is the Preserve follows by Old Mac, Sunday is the Preserve followed by Bandon Dunes, and Monday Pacific Dunes are a finale, then back to reality.

Oregon golf is the best!
[/quote]

That's a great idea, doing the Preserve first thing. I'm going to try that on my next trip for the days where we are not trying to play 36. And Portland Golf Club is great. Very tough greens.

Oregon golf is the best!
[/quote]

I'm glad you brought that up. I'd been contemplating doing that for one of our days. I think I'm going to go ahead and make that change - you've made my mind up for me!

Oregon golf is the best!
[/quote]

Oooh, nice idea, especially for the shorter winter days when it's tough to get 36 holes in.

Similar idea I had was to start each morning with a few holes at Shorty's, the par-3 course at the practice area, then get a bite of late morning brunch, then a round on one of the big courses.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

While you wouldn't be able to manage it as a foursome, if you are a single or a twosome you can still get most of - if not all of - a round in teeing off as late as 3hrs before sunset. With their replay rates in the winter it's still great value. Even if you only have a couple hours, you can still go back out and experience some of the most entertaining seaside holes in golf - although the 13th, which would be missed using the below, may be the best of the lot.

Two loops that was recommended to me by a chap in the pro shop at Pacific was the following and they can both work a charm:
1-5, 10-11, 5-7
1-11, 5-7
7 being the only hole besides 18 that gets you to the clubhouse, once you finish the 4th, you can play all sorts of combos with 5-11 that lead you back to the clubhouse via the 7th.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Last year we played all but Old MacDonald. You simply can't make a mistake out there. Our caddy told us that the Trail course was the favorite among caddies. I agree that it's worth springing for a caddy, at least once to help get a feel for the place. Be prepared for extremely tight-lie fairways. Your caddy will hand you the putter 20 yards off the green. The pub is great and they serve up a nice Manhattan!

Killarney Golf & Fishing Club, IR.

All four courses should be played when you go to Bandon Dunes. Don't listen to anybody who rips on Trails. Its a beautiful Coore-Crenshaw design that looks like parkland but requires links golf shots. Practice long putts, knock downs, and don't expect to lower your handicap. Have fun playing at the best resort on the planet and the true American links experience.

Credentials: Looped there all summer

Looks like I'll be arriving when you are leaving. My playing partner and I have played all of the courses except for Trails so we plan to play Trails Friday. Bandon then Pacific on Saturday, Old Mac and Trails on Sunday. It'll be a tiring marathon but worth it. Weather is always interesting but as long as you plan for it, with layers and good rain gear it's all good. The fog can be bad so as long as it's not bad and it's blowing under 40 mph it's game time!

Played the same weekend last year and it was pretty mild with a little fog, little wind, and sprinkles. Played in Jan and was about the same except the sun tried to burn thru but the fog just wouldn't let it.

Out of the three I've played (not trails) Pacific is probably the best all around. Bandon is also very fun and beatiful but Old Mac is something completely different. It's strange playing a course where you can't really lose a golf ball and there really isn't much rough. It's like the entire course is fringe with a slightly shorter cut putting surface that can be 50yds across and break 12 different directions...it's pretty crazy. The tee shot on #3 Old Mac is pretty intimidating unless you are a long ball hitter. Nothing like hitting it over a large dune! If you can get it up and over and land on the down slope it will roll close to the green. If you don't make it over the dune, good luck!

Cannot go wrong with any of the 4 options, all are magical in their own way.
Definately take a caddie, takes the whole expeirence to the next level. Both times I have used a great guy named Joey (sorry cannot remember his last name but his uncle did all the shaping for Old Mac bunkers). Showed me how to use a 6-iron like a putter from 100yds, I am sure this saved me 8-10 strokes of a 4 day period.

Enjoy the adventure !

Titleist TS2 9.5 HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

TaylorMade M2 3 wood
Ping G5 4 Hybrid Grafalloy ProLuanch Blue Stiff
Titleist AP3 ProjectX LZ 6.0
Titleist Volkey SM7: 48,54
Odyssey Works #7

Just got back from playing all 4 courses. I've played all of the courses in the past except Trails. Trails is very under rated. It's a great course worth the trip. We left Portland at 5:00, had a nice breakfast in Coos Bay and made it to the range by 10:15. Weather was as good as it gets Friday and Saturday with very little wind, no rain, mostly sun, and temps getting up to 55. Managed to play Bandon and Pacific on Saturday with epic views. Sunday was a different story with some fog, dense mist, and strong winds. We started on Old Mac and found out it's brutal in the wind. Nothing like a 475 yd par 4 into the wind. Hit a bomb down the middle (~290 avg.) only to find myself needing to bash a 5w to get to the front edge...It seemed all of the long holes on that course ended up being into the wind. Finished the trip off with 15 holes on Trails. Skipped 8-10 so we could finish. Back in the car at 5:00 and in Portland by 9:40.

My rankings and why:
1) Old Mac - totally different than anything I've every played. Long, massive undulating greens, no real fear of losing balls, brutal bunkers
2) Pacific - beautiful, requires great shots, little tighter than Bandon, tuff bunkers
3) Trails - not as open as the other courses with plenty of trouble around the greens. No real ocean views but still a phenominal course.
4) Bandon - maybe the most beautiful, great layout, pretty wide fwy's, lots of bunkers. Easyist for me to score on.

All courses require a good short game or it's going to be a long round. You'll start putting from 20+yds off the green and sometimes further because chipping just isn't worth it in some spots and a flop shot off tight hard lies is not a high percentage shot.

[quote name='jbbates' timestamp='1386032462' post='8239512']
Just got back from playing all 4 courses. I've played all of the courses in the past except Trails. Trails is very under rated. It's a great course worth the trip. We left Portland at 5:00, had a nice breakfast in Coos Bay and made it to the range by 10:15. Weather was as good as it gets Friday and Saturday with very little wind, no rain, mostly sun, and temps getting up to 55. Managed to play Bandon and Pacific on Saturday with epic views. Sunday was a different story with some fog, dense mist, and strong winds. We started on Old Mac and found out it's brutal in the wind. Nothing like a 475 yd par 4 into the wind. Hit a bomb down the middle (~290 avg.) only to find myself needing to bash a 5w to get to the front edge...It seemed all of the long holes on that course ended up being into the wind. Finished the trip off with 15 holes on Trails. Skipped 8-10 so we could finish. Back in the car at 5:00 and in Portland by 9:40.

My rankings and why:
1) Old Mac - totally different than anything I've every played. Long, massive undulating greens, no real fear of losing balls, brutal bunkers
2) Pacific - beautiful, requires great shots, little tighter than Bandon, tuff bunkers
3) Trails - not as open as the other courses with plenty of trouble around the greens. No real ocean views but still a phenominal course.
4) Bandon - maybe the most beautiful, great layout, pretty wide fwy's, lots of bunkers. Easyist for me to score on.

All courses require a good short game or it's going to be a long round. You'll start putting from 20+yds off the green and sometimes further because chipping just isn't worth it in some spots and a flop shot off tight hard lies is not a high percentage shot.
[/quote]

Thanks for posting this. Those of us with upcoming trips have our appetite duly whetted :-)

What really struck me, though, is with your ranking - where else could we possibly go in the world where Bandon freaking Dunes ranked as the worst course we played all week?

Thank you, Mr. Keiser.

[quote name='Chris_NH' timestamp='1386072316' post='8241318']
[quote name='jbbates' timestamp='1386032462' post='8239512']

My rankings and why:

[/quote]

Thanks for posting this. Those of us with upcoming trips have our appetite duly whetted :-)

What really struck me, though, is with your ranking - where else could we possibly go in the world where Bandon freaking Dunes ranked as the worst course we played all week?

Thank you, Mr. Keiser.
[/quote]
It's kinda like ranking super models... Bandon is a special golf destination. I've played plenty of nice courses in OR, WA, and Kauai and these courses are completely different. I've played Bandon 4x, Pacific 4x, Old Mac 3x, and Trails 2x (only because it was closed on 2 trips last year). Each time I realize how lucky I am they put this in OR. There's also Bandon Crossings which is very nice and much more reasonable. It's more like Trails but still is a great course. We've hit Sandpines before on the way down and it's also a great course.

I'll be back next year if I can make it that long:-)

• 3 months later...

Restarting a somewhat older thread here. Headed to Bandon in just about a month. After much research, have decided to skip Bandon Trails and play Pacific Dunes twice in my 4 rounds + Bandon Preserve. Now I know there will be some shakes of the head, but I figure after taking the time and money to go to Bandon, I want to play what Bandon is really all about (ocean, wind, links, etc - not just a super nice course that happens to be at Bandon just for the sake of it). Plus I see a lot of similarities to Streamsong (potentially?) which I have already played.

Any recent Bandon goers have any more caddy recommendations? I've picked up a name or two here and there, even from this thread, but just wanted to see if anyone had any other good experiences as well. Will be playing with the wife if that changes anything. Feel free to PM as well, even about any advice in general. Thanks in advance!

[quote name='av1084' timestamp='1394577015' post='8850625']
Restarting a somewhat older thread here. Headed to Bandon in just about a month. After much research, have decided to skip Bandon Trails and play Pacific Dunes twice in my 4 rounds + Bandon Preserve. Now I know there will be some shakes of the head, but I figure after taking the time and money to go to Bandon, I want to play what Bandon is really all about (ocean, wind, links, etc - not just a super nice course that happens to be at Bandon just for the sake of it). Plus I see a lot of similarities to Streamsong (potentially?) which I have already played.

Any recent Bandon goers have any more caddy recommendations? I've picked up a name or two here and there, even from this thread, but just wanted to see if anyone had any other good experiences as well. Will be playing with the wife if that changes anything. Feel free to PM as well, even about any advice in general. Thanks in advance!
[/quote]

Just be aware that Pacific Dunes by far has the worst greens of all the courses.

The assumption that you can play a course like Trails anywhere else is a huge misconception. Where else do you find a Coore/Crenshaw tree lined course built with fescue turf?