2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Need some advice on Bandon...

nfinch10

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I didn't see it when I was quickly looking through threads...

I was able to to convince my fiance that Bandon would be a great place to spend the Thanksgiving weekend. She is not a golfer, but is from OR and loves the OR coast, so it wasn't a hard sell. We will be there Wed-Fri night, and think I can get away for 2-3 rounds. This is my first trip to Bandon. I realize that ideally one would spend more time there and play all the courses, but I will take any bit of Bandon that I can get.

So, if you could only play 2-3 courses at Bandon, which one's would you choose?

Also, should I expect the courses to be busy since it's a holiday weekend, or will it not be bad since it is winter time and the weather might be nasty? Finally, any tips, advice, local knowledge, secret beaches...etc would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there in February of this year plus I am lucky to visit there every February with the same group for the past 8 years. assommers14 is exactly right - make sure you dress for 70* weather or 40* with side ways rain. You never know what you will get. I played one day in 45* with 30 MPH winds but the next two days were exceptional at 65*- 70* and very little wind.

I have never seen this place to busy at all and there are a lot of courses to filter out the crowds very well.

I love every course out there but I do always want to play Pacific Dunes and Old MacDonald. I do love to play Bandon trails from the tips but not really sure why. maybe sets up better from the tips vs. blue tees. I get a caddie every time I am there and BlueJay is the best caddie that I had there and he is very knowledgeable and fun to hang out with for 36 a day.

Exceptional place but just wish easier to get access to it since I am coming from N Carolina and that is a haul.

Good luck and hope you have a great time!!

Driver: Titleist TSR4 - Folds of Honor Ventura Blue TR
Fairway: Taylormade Stealth 2 16.5 - Tour UB TX

7 Wood: PXG Gen 5 7 wood - AD XS

Hybrid: PXG Gen 6 22* 4 - Tour AD 95x
Irons:   PXG 0317 CB 5-G - Steelfiber Reserve 110cw
Wedges:  TaylorMade MG3 54* / Taylormade Hi Toe 58* - KBS TGI
Putter: 1st - Low Tide Stability BLACK / Odyssey Tank Stability Black CounterBalance / Goodwood M6
Ball: Titleist -Prov1x, 2022 AVX, Tour B XS, TP5x  (Left Dash is number 1 ball but Bridgestone XS is close second)  

Thanks for the advice so far guys!! I went to college in OR, so I'm anticipating cold, rainy weather. If it's nice that will just be a bonus!

Based on your responses and other threads I have seen, my current preferences in order are:

1.) Old Mac
2.) Pac Dunes
3.) Bandon Dunes
4.) Bandon Trails

Please keep the advice coming everyone! Let me know if you would change the preference order as well.

[quote name='nfinch10' timestamp='1383776869' post='8111990']
Thanks for the advice so far guys!! I went to college in OR, so I'm anticipating cold, rainy weather. If it's nice that will just be a bonus!

Based on your responses and other threads I have seen, my current preferences in order are:

1.) Old Mac
2.) Pac Dunes
3.) Bandon Dunes
4.) Bandon Trails

Please keep the advice coming everyone! Let me know if you would change the preference order as well.
[/quote] I would agree except I would put Pacific Dunes first if I could only play one round which is not the case for you.

[quote name='vpd' timestamp='1383779887' post='8112242']
[quote name='nfinch10' timestamp='1383776869' post='8111990']

1.) Old Mac
2.) Pac Dunes
3.) Bandon Dunes
4.) Bandon Trails

[/quote] I would agree except I would put Pacific Dunes first if I could only play one round which is not the case for you.
[/quote]

Here's the funny/great thing about Bandon - I agree with both of you :-)

Seriously, it's hard to pick between the courses. I'd put Pac Dunes and Old Mac as 1-2 and give the nod to Pac Dunes based on sheer visual stunningness - the mature gorse, the holes on the water. But if Pac Dunes is the most stunning course I've ever played, Old Mac is the most tranquil and fun.

The only thing I can add that probably hasn't been said yet is that Bandon Dunes is similar enough to Pac Dunes that 1) I wouldn't hesitate to swap it in if Pac Dunes isn't available and 2) if you get a chance to play a 3rd round, I'd make it Pac Trails (even though I like Bandon Dunes better) because then you get the full flavor of the distinctive courses.

Have a blast. I'm about 4 months away from trip #2.

Everyone is going to have a different answer, but my ranking for the courses is:

1 - Old Mac
2 - Pacific Dunes
3 - Bandon Trails
4 - Bandon Dunes

If you're looking for info on Bandon Dunes GolfTripper.com has a great travel planner resource.

http://www.golftripper.com/the-ultimate-bandon-dunes-golf-resort-travel-planner/

OP: I was there last Thanksgiving and this past Feb and have played Bandon, Old Mac, and Pacific 4 times each and the 13 open holes at the time at Trails once.

For me the two best moments at the resort are walking out to where your tee shot hopefully landed on #4 at Bandon and walking up to where your tee shot hopefully landed on #3 at Old Mac. I'd definitely want to experience those moments of sheer delight each visit. Of course that said, that doesn't mean Pacific is without its charms. I doubt there are many places that could pull off back to back par 3s in such a compelling manner. The three of them are all fantastic, superb, world class tracks and I can see how people would order them any which way. You should really endeavour to play all three.

Trails is hardly a slouch and the isolation and tranquility you can experience when in the far corner of the property as you make the turn is really neat. It's like you are walking through the forest and there just happens to be a golf hole to play while you are there. But due to it being inland, the overall course itself lacks the ethereal effect playing along the seaside brings.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Everyone has a different opinion on which of the Bandon courses they prefer. Although all of the courses have some similarity, they are also pretty unique from each other. Old Mac is probably the course that is the most polarizing. You'll find that it is #1 on a lot of peoples' lists and last on many others. I loved it, but some find it too quirky. The greens will likely be the largest greens you've ever played. Bandon Trails is the only inland course at Bandon and is a good change of pace from the others, which are links. You won't go wrong whichever ones you play. Here's a trip report and photos:

http://golfcourses.weebly.com/bandon-dunes-resort-bandon-oregon.html

8133207529_c12ebf66a3_c.jpg

Bandon Dunes #16 from tee a r by tewiespix, on Flickr

8134490213_673c65eab0_c.jpg

Bandon Trails #14 from tee - tough green- tough hole r by tewiespix, on Flickr

8134587167_0e43bbbcdc_c.jpg

Old Mac #14 - Maiden - view back to fairwy - tough putts if above hole r by tewiespix, on Flickr

8134672011_74d539c54c_c.jpg

Pacific Dunes #11par 3 zoomed r by tewiespix, on Flickr

Bandon/Pacific 1a 1b
Bandon Trails 2

Old Mac....seriously I'm not sure what the appeal would be....I agree with most of the caddies....it's the course High handicappers love because u can't lose a ball. And the greens are all goofy putt putt....

See above post....agreed...Old Mac is definitly polarizing....lol

Pac Dunes and Old Mac were my favorites, followed by Bandon Dunes and then Bandon Trails. Preserve (the par-3) is awesome -- everyone raves about it, regardless of your handicap. Remember that playing 36 gives you a sharply discounted fee for the second 18 that day, if you can fit in the rounds this time of year (or just play 18 then 9). When I went over July 4, the staff said that holidays usually are not busy because it is not a family resort with kids activities etc.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1383846602' post='8115440']
Yeah God save me from those courses where you can't lose a ball. How can you call it "golf" if you don't lose at least a sleeve per nine. :swoon:
[/quote]

Indeed right? LOL.
In fairness, none of the courses are ball-eaters though, so on that criteria those annoying high-handicappers can enjoy all of them.

When I read comments from people who do not like Old Mac and they use the 'ol caddies axiom to make their point for them, I do wonder if they actually have any of their own points to use.

Funnily enough, if you took those Bandon caddies who apparently complain about Old Mac to St. Andrews they would surely have to have the same opinion of it? Conversely, I wonder how a St. Andrews caddy would take to Old Mac? Wonderfully I would assume.

I think a few golfers who cut their teeth on a typical North American course, where playing options are limited and largely dictated by the course designer and how he routed the holes, simply lack the imagination to genuinely appreciate Old Mac. Subsequently they dismiss it based on that inability to come to terms with something that isn't plainly laid out in front of them, as in a paint by numbers book.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Whenever I finally make it out there, I'd want to get in at least three or four rounds on Old Mac even if it meant missing out on one of the other courses. I could easily imagine two 36-hole days really getting to know Old Mac with maybe 36 split between two of the others on the in-between day. Or something like that.

If it's a truly great course, one or two rounds is never enough to get to know how great it really is.

Score yourself some points and let her know how excited you are and appreciate her willingness to go. Then tell her that you'd like her to walk with you one day- put a thermos of coffee and some scones in your bag, bust that out on the course, and you're golden.

Have a great time and add my vote to dressing warmly. Played in June and froze.

pacific
old mac
dunes
preserve
trails

my thought is - i'm at bandon to play LINKS courses. trails is fun, but pacific/old mac/dunes are links courses. (old mac would probably be considered the "true" links course...)

the preserve is so much fun. holes that measure at 150 can play up to 230 into the wind. some holes are in that 40 yard range - blind tee shot over a dune bunker down wind. the best place to have fun and put some money on the table.

[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1383853053' post='8115916']
Yeah God save me from those courses where you can't lose a ball. How can you call it "golf" if you don't lose at least a sleeve per nine. :swoon:
[/quote]

Indeed right? LOL.
In fairness, none of the courses are ball-eaters though, so on that criteria those annoying high-handicappers can enjoy all of them.

When I read comments from people who do not like Old Mac and they use the 'ol caddies axiom to make their point for them, I do wonder if they actually have any of their own points to use.

Funnily enough, if you took those Bandon caddies who apparently complain about Old Mac to St. Andrews they would surely have to have the same opinion of it? Conversely, I wonder how a St. Andrews caddy would take to Old Mac? Wonderfully I would assume.

I think a few golfers who cut their teeth on a typical North American course, where playing options are limited and largely dictated by the course designer and how he routed the holes, simply lack the imagination to genuinely appreciate Old Mac. Subsequently they dismiss it based on that inability to come to terms with something that isn't plainly laid out in front of them, as in a paint by numbers book.
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure the greens at The Old Course wouldn't be stamping at 11.5 in a 30 mph wind like they were at Old Mac when we played there. The consensus about Old Mac among my (low single digit) friends who had recently returned from Ireland was that Old Mac was a nice idea, it was just executed badly.

[quote name='DLiver' timestamp='1383876961' post='8117536']
[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1383853053' post='8115916']
[/quote]

Indeed right? LOL.

[/quote]

I'm pretty sure the greens at The Old Course wouldn't be stamping at 11.5 in a 30 mph wind like they were at Old Mac when we played there. The consensus about Old Mac among my (low single digit) friends who had recently returned from Ireland was that Old Mac was a nice idea, it was just executed badly.
[/quote]

Everybody has their own opinions - that's the great thing about Bandon. For our return trip this year, the format allows us to play one course twice. Old Mac was the unanimous choice to be that course.

Agree with Chris - Trails is the one most unlike the others. If you want to see the range of what Bandon has, then definitely include Trails. If you're looking for the full Links Experience, go with the other three. Also agree that BD and PD are most similar. I thought OM was a hoot. Definitely the most accessible and most strategic course of the four.

Good news is that there is no wrong answer.

Also like the suggestion from cp_circa62 that you take your girl out with you on a round. That should be on PD or BD, because the views are just that awesome. If she's an Oregonian, she'll love it.

Also: if you go to the Northwest section of this forum, there's a ton of Bandon threads....

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

I go every year in November (will be there next weekend) and definitely have my favorites/opinions.

I like them in this order:

1. Bandon Dunes - Beautiful in its simplicity and fun even if you are not playing well.
2. Old Mac - Voluptuous and sexy...fun and different
3. Pacific Dunes - the most visually impressive of the group. Can be no fun if you are not playing well.
4. Bandon Trails - a beautiful inland course, 16 exceptional holes.....2 forgettable holes (13 and 14).

That being said, the Preserve is a lot of fun (more fun than PD if you are not playing well)

The sheep ranch is fun too.

In my opinion, the Preserve and Sheep Ranch are both meant to be played with a bunch of buddies (not as a single).

If it is your first time, do not waste it on BT.

If it were me I would play BD, OM, and if you have time, add PD.

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

[quote name='Chris_NH' timestamp='1383942286' post='8120506']
[quote name='2putttom' timestamp='1383936589' post='8120152']
What I like is the pics posted by sabram .....no houses.
[/quote]

Or cartpaths. Or ballwashers. It's idyllic.
[/quote] Thats funny. I asked Ken director of caddies why we don't have ball washers? his response was "we do...they are called caddies".

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

[quote name='2putttom' timestamp='1384014106' post='8123736']
[/quote]

[/quote] Thats funny. I asked Ken director of caddies why we don't have ball washers? his response was "we do...they are called caddies".
[/quote]

I've only been there once, in late March of this year. We had good weather, so that may play into it. But, as a foursome, we might have fixed ball marks about a dozen times at most, and found we really didn't need ballwashers. That firm turf just doesn't leave ball marks or make the balls dirty/muddy as often.

Did anyone see Inside the PGA tour this week with Michael Putnam.
It showed him playing Chambers Bay in a cart....CB is a walk only facility.
I highly doubt Bandon would have allowed a cart being used by the pro for filming the episode.

I can just hear the convo's at CB's pro shop nowadays.
"Well if Michael Putnam can use a cart...I too should be able to use one...especially considering her played for free and I'm a paying customer"

#FAIL.

[/quote]

[/quote]

That's a Mike Keiser course. They're all like that. "Golf as it was meant to be played."