Starting a new adventure . . . Minimalist Golf

student of the game

I did this somewhat already this year when I challenged a couple Jr. Golfers where I was working to 9 holes and I'll only have a 7 iron and 1 ball. Shot 42 at 3200 yards.

I'm actually happy if I have to hit every club in my bag in a round because it gets too cookie cutter if a lot of the holes are around the same yardage.

To the OP, lmk if you have any thoughts on your PAT's and if your going to do them at Cambridge. I did mine 4 years ago and only brought irons and wedges, 4-PW, 50-54-58 and putter. Wishon 550C irons at that.

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

I think my minimalist bag would be something along the lines of:

13 degree three wood
5 iron
7 iron
9 iron
SW
Putter

I could get to 7 by tossing in a hybrid (and probably swapping out the 3w for a driver).

I'm pretty sure my score would not be significantly changed by this setup... some of the longer par fours at my course would be harder with a 3w off the tee, though.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

[quote name='setter02' timestamp='1386453249' post='8264401']
I did this somewhat already this year when I challenged a couple Jr. Golfers where I was working to 9 holes and I'll only have a 7 iron and 1 ball. Shot 42 at 3200 yards.

I'm actually happy if I have to hit every club in my bag in a round because it gets too cookie cutter if a lot of the holes are around the same yardage.

To the OP, lmk if you have any thoughts on your PAT's and if your going to do them at Cambridge. I did mine 4 years ago and only brought irons and wedges, 4-PW, 50-54-58 and putter. Wishon 550C irons at that.
[/quote]

Yeah cambridge is where I would be playing in. I haven't had a chance to get out and play the course yet but I have heard there is no need for a driver. I have the 555m's in my full bag looking to switch those to 575's this year hopefully

Cobra Speedzone (8.0D) w/ Aldila Rogue 60x

Cobra Speedzone Big Tour 3 (13.5) w/ aldila Rogue 70x

Cobra Forged Tec Utility 2 (17.5) w/ $-Taper Lite X

Cobra CB/MB 4-PW w/ $-Taper Black X

Cobra MIM Black Wedge 50 degree V Grind w/ TT Tour Issue x100

Cobra MIM Black Wedge 54 degree V Grind w/ TT Tour Issue X100

Cobra MIM Black Wedge 58 degree WL Grind w/ TT Tour Issue S400

Odyssey Stroke Lab 1 Wide 34"

Had a great round (could have been better with my minimalist set up yesterday. Shot 77 with 4 birdies.

Also had 2 doubles that cost me......could have been a lot better.

THought about sending back the Razr X MB 5i, 7i, and 9i I bought because I didn't have the best range session with them. Was hitting my J38's much better but I thing it was the shafts (PX 6.5's in the Razr X's and X100 in the J38's). Called about sending them back and would only get 90% of the value back and it would be in store credit which I am not interested in.

Decided I am going to reshaft them with X100s and make them work.

• 2 weeks later...

Minimalist update:

I have decided to go with the Callaway Razr X MB 5, 7, 9 irons after I reshafted them. I was looking at my bag last night, looked extra empty with my minimal setup. I counted my clubs and only counted 8. I was confused.....I thought I had 9. Couldn't think of what club I was missing. Didn't realize I wasn't counting a PW in it (don't have one in the new setup yet). Now that I think about it.....why not just drop the PW....drop down to 8?.

If I went with 8 clubs it would look like.....
9i : 120-150
50* : 85-120
58: 85 and in

Or

If I went 9 clubs it would look like....
9i : 130-150
PW : 110-130
53* : 85-110
58* : 85 and in

hmmmm

• 1 month later...

Just want to bump this thread up again and see if there isnt some more stories or golfers that want to par take.

I am still living with all of the snow on the ground but I am heading to the outdoor heated range tonight with my minimalist bag.

I'm on board.
Played Saturday and Sunday last weekend with:
905r driver
Vsteel 16.5 FW
Adams A12 4 hybrid
Wilson FG Tour 5, 7, 9 irons
Vokey 50 and 56 degree wedges
putter + 6 balls and some tees in a Sun Mountain 3.5 bag

easy 6700 yard walk and shot my best score this year on Sunday.

One of the guys I was paired up with kept asking me, "You're going to lug those clubs the whole day?",

This being GolfWRX I have ordered a Jones 001 Sunday Bag to keep the minimalist vibe going.

Doing the same this weekend and am hopeful for even better results.

I love playing with less clubs. It allows a lot of creativity. I normally play with 10 clubs.

When its hot
3w, 3h
6,8,pw
Putter

I'd not be adverse to 5w, 7, putter either.

Sometimes I have payed the whole course with a 7 and putter just for practice.

I find thses sorts of things heaps fun as it takes focus off the score and more on the challenge.

I normally play with 13 clubs but when the Sunday bag goes out it's D, 6 hybrid, 8,W, 56, putter

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

I have 11 in my bag right now, and shoot the same on a 6400 course as I do with 14. My current bag is 3w, 19 hybrid, 4-pw, sw, putter. All this in a lightweight Taylormade bag. When I go on a guys golf weekend or play in captains choice tournaments I have a 14 divided cart bag and add in a driver, gap wedge, and LW.

My league used to play a yearly 9 hole 3 club match. The better players usually shot 2-4 over what they normally shot. I used 3 wood, 7i and wedge. Putted with 3 wood or bladed wedge. It was fun, dont know why we stopped.

Mizuno ST-Max 10.5 Smoke RDX 50 5.5, AI Smoke 10.5 with HZRDOUS RDX RED 50 5.5

Mizuno ST-MaX 5 stock Kail'l R

Mizuno ST-Max 7 stock Kail'l R

AI Smoke HL 7-AW Nippon Neo 85

AI Smoke 7/8 Hybrid HZRDOUS Siver 65 Gen 4 5.5

Cleveland Full Face 52

Cleveland Full Face 56

Odyssey Jailbird 380

Titelist prov1x/Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='parpar41' timestamp='1392908069' post='8708421']
[quote name='9woodfan' timestamp='1392426544' post='8670749']
I normally play with 13 clubs but when the Sunday bag goes out it's D, 6 hybrid, 8,W, 56, putter
[/quote]

Good setup. One question: what made you decide on the 6 hybrid over the 5 hybrid for the Sunday bag?
[/quote]

I just find it really useful and easy to hit. I also sometimes toss in the 7 wood which can cover all the ranges from 5 iron up to driver for me. I have a 6 irons as well but the 6 hybrid is just stupid easy and makes the game pretty fun for me.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

[quote name='9woodfan' timestamp='1392928290' post='8710381']
[quote name='parpar41' timestamp='1392908069' post='8708421']
[quote name='9woodfan' timestamp='1392426544' post='8670749']
[/quote]

Good setup. One question: what made you decide on the 6 hybrid over the 5 hybrid for the Sunday bag?
[/quote]

I just find it really useful and easy to hit. I also sometimes toss in the 7 wood which can cover all the ranges from 5 iron up to driver for me. I have a 6 irons as well but the 6 hybrid is just stupid easy and makes the game pretty fun for me.
[/quote]

Thanks. I am really tempted to put a 6h into my bag.

Yesterday, while coaching a high school golf team, I carried 4 clubs (literally carried them in my hands) for nine holes, with two ProVs in my back pocket. I took a Nike 1-hybrid (15*), 6-iron, 9-iron, and putter. After six holes I was even (4 pars, a birdie on a 510-yard par 5, and one bogey). One of the better players on the team was in my group, and he was 3 over at the time and would not talk to me! It was hilarious. I ended up shooting a 40 for the nine and he shot 41.

I had not played “minimalist golf” in a while, but I really like the idea, especially for developing shotmaking skills.

The shot I will remember from this experiment was on a 190-yard par 3. That was way too far for me to hit a 6-iron so I took the 1-hybrid and hit an improv “choke-down Trevino cut” that ended up 20 feet from the hole. Two putts for par. Mission accomplished.

What I learned: ALWAYS use a golf bag! Even the weight of toting four clubs in your hands will wear on you in just a few holes.

• 2 weeks later...

This season I will play with just the 5 clubs in my sig. Did this the end of last season and was pleased with the result, will never again play with a full bag of clubs. Love the simple minimalist approach.

150PSP System-Witb

Tour Edge Bazooka Platinum 20*

Cobra Baffler XL 6 Hybrid 

Mazel Chipper PW

Heavy Putter Light Weight Q2

Bridgestone e6 Ball

I've always been intrigued by this idea. My brother once played a round during school and the max amount of clubs you could use was 3 and a putter. He went with a 5 wood, 7 Iron, 52 degree, and his putter.

At some point I'm going to play a round with only a 7-iron.

Callaway XR16 Pro [color=#808080][size=2]UST VTS Silver TourSPX 7s[/size][/color]
Callaway GBB Epic 15 [color=#808080][size=2]UST VTS Silver TourSPX 8s[/size][/color]
Nike VR Forged Pro Combo 2 [color=#808080][size=2](True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)[/size][/color]
Maltby KE4 Tour HDI 3 [color=#808080][size=2](TBD)[/size][/color]
Maltby DBM Forged 5-9 [color=#808080][size=2](Nippon NS Pro Modus[sup]3[/sup] Tour 120s)[/size][/color]
Maltby DBM Forged P-G [color=#808080][size=2](Nippon NS Pro Modus[sup]3[/sup] Wedge 115)[/size][/color]
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged Slate 54.10 - 58.08 [color=#808080][size=2](Nippon NS Pro Modus[sup]3[/sup] Wedge 125)[/size][/color]
Edel E-3 Torque Balanced
[size=2][color=#808080]Winn Dri-Tac Midsize / Iomic Sticky 2.3 / SuperStroke 1.0 Flatso[/color][/size]
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/993767-pinger89-witb-updated-55-w-new-toys/"]WITB Link[/url]

Seriously this cold weather needs to end, I have had this set up ready to go for months now and not a single chance to play it.

[quote name='student of the game' timestamp='1394632174' post='8854721']
Seriously this cold weather needs to end, I have had this set up ready to go for months now and not a single chance to play it.
[/quote] it has been a rough winter love your setup tho good luck this year.

150PSP System-Witb

Mazel Chipper PW

Bridgestone e6 Ball

I commented on this topic some time ago, but I'll update. I read some years ago an article by an English fellow stating that us Yanks play too many clubs. He suggested a 3W, 5I, 8I, PW and putter. That is the way I started playing Minimalist.

Yesterday, I went out with exactly that setup without any substitution. The conditions of the course were deplorable, wet, soggy, muddy, but nice to be out for the second time this year. (The weather calls for freezing rain and snow later today, but 60 degrees Friday. What a horrible winter!) Anyhow, 3W drives carried from 170-200 or so, no OBs, everything in play. Played many fairway 3Ws. Score wise, I scored 42 and 44, with 2 birdies.

Also, walked the 18. Will continue the 5 club setup as the fellow suggests, until I do something stupid like put a driver back into the bag.

[quote name='Wriggles' timestamp='1394636874' post='8855283']
I commented on this topic some time ago, but I'll update. I read some years ago an article by an English fellow stating that us Yanks play too many clubs. He suggested a 3W, 5I, 8I, PW and putter. That is the way I started playing Minimalist.

Yesterday, I went out with exactly that setup without any substitution. The conditions of the course were deplorable, wet, soggy, muddy, but nice to be out for the second time this year. (The weather calls for freezing rain and snow later today, but 60 degrees Friday. What a horrible winter!) Anyhow, 3W drives carried from 170-200 or so, no OBs, everything in play. Played many fairway 3Ws. Score wise, I scored 42 and 44, with 2 birdies.

Also, walked the 18. Will continue the 5 club setup as the fellow suggests, until I do something stupid like put a driver back into the bag.
[/quote]I remember that article and I agree with it, simple is better for me.

150PSP System-Witb

Mazel Chipper PW

Bridgestone e6 Ball

[quote name='twooverowl' timestamp='1394635767' post='8855139']
[quote name='student of the game' timestamp='1394632174' post='8854721']
[/quote] it has been a rough winter love your setup tho good luck this year.
[/quote]

Sadly it will probably all change come the actual season here I tend to go through a tonne of changes when I build everything

[quote name='TJCDAS' timestamp='1394637219' post='8855329']
Just checking the ground rules of Minimalist golf on GolfWrx, are you still allowed to have a backup set or two of minimalist clubs?
[/quote]

Oh you would be crazy not to have 3 different minimalist bags dependant on weather, course length, etc. lol

[quote name='student of the game' timestamp='1394650819' post='8857003']
[quote name='TJCDAS' timestamp='1394637219' post='8855329']
Just checking the ground rules of Minimalist golf on GolfWrx, are you still allowed to have a backup set or two of minimalist clubs?
[/quote]

Oh you would be crazy not to have 3 different minimalist bags dependant on weather, course length, etc. lol
[/quote]

Ha. Interesting thread. I'd go with

1. 13 deg 3W - new Ping Rapture would do the trick. Close to driver length plus playable from the deck on long holes.
2. 22/23 deg hybrid - 200 yard shots, can probably choke down to take that down to 170-175. Bump and runs from the fringe.
3. 8 iron - up to 160 yard range
4. 54 degree wedge - 100 yards and in
5. putter

I could play that and probably never miss a beat. Adding one more iron (6 clubs total) and going with 7, 9, and the 54 deg and I could definitely do it.

Taylormade SIM Max  – 10.5°
Taylormade M4  – 16.5°
Titleist 818H1 - 22.5°
Titleist AP1 718 – 4-P
Titleist AP1 718 – 48°
Cleveland CBX – 54°
Taylormade EF – 60° 
Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E H   

This is a lot of fun, I play like this early morning or twilight. Helps develop hitting different shots and I can play 18 in under 3 hours. Bag usually consists of.

Driver
19 Hybrid
5-7-9 Iron
56 Wedge
Putter

Also play a fun game sometimes with group in which you can only pick one club to use per hole start to finish.

Cobra F9
Cobra SZ 14.5*
Ping G400 19*
Mizuno MP 53 KBS Tour 4-PW
Ping Glide 2.0 50*
Cleveland RTX 3 54* 58*
Scotty Cameron Futura X5