2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Starting a new adventure . . . Minimalist Golf

student of the game

Minimalist setup that I play full time.

Are you good at hitting partial shots with the 23 degree hybrid iron/wood? That is a trouble spot for me, If I had your bag, anything normally needing 5-6-7 iron would be hard for me to do.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

What bags is everyone using? I have been using the Titleist sunday, but have been looking at the Ping L8. I think having a stand would be nice.

With five clubs, a stand is unnecessary. I just use whatever club I just hit to lift the carry strap, so I don't have to bend. I use a new original Jones, and a Sun Mountain Sunday X-Strap ( I use only one strap). The Jones, although a great bag, seems a bit big for 5-7 clubs. The Sun Mountain is perfect.

Minimalist setup that I play full time.

Are you good at hitting partial shots with the 23 degree hybrid iron/wood? That is a trouble spot for me, If I had your bag, anything normally needing 5-6-7 iron would be hard for me to do.

I would say I am above average at creating shots. I also have no problem laying up if I have an awkward yardage. The 23* does cover all 4i,5i,6i shots and I seem more consistent using one to cover all. My 8 covers 7 8 and 9 and my 50 covers all my wedge needs. It's not a yardage game it is totally feel. I hit it 200 to 220 off the tee and that's perfect for the yardage and tees I play from. When you hit it that far you don't have as many yardage gaps as you would as a long hitter. It's just a really simple form of the game. My favorite aspect is you know what club you will use and all your thinking is how hard do I need to hit this.

150PSP System-Witb

Tour Edge Bazooka Platinum 20*

Cobra Baffler XL 6 Hybrid 

Mazel Chipper PW

Heavy Putter Light Weight Q2

Bridgestone e6 Ball

What bags is everyone using? I have been using the Titleist sunday, but have been looking at the Ping L8. I think having a stand would be nice.

I routinely play with 8 or 9 clubs. I just picked up the new Sun Mountain 2.5. It is a lovely, light stand bag. Perfect for an old guy like me that likes to carry a minimalist set. Currently play driver, 4-wood, 7-wood, 6-iron, 7-iron, 9-iron PW, SW putter. That is probably one too many irons!

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Mizuno Aerolite Micro if it's dry

SM H2No ultralight when it's not

Both are about 2.5-3 lbs. Both are stand bags. I tried the Mizuno Scratch, but found I didn't like laying everything down when the grass was damp and the resulting wet spot on my right butt cheek. Very glad I have stands.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Mizuno Aerolite Micro if it's dry

SM H2No ultralight when it's not

Both are about 2.5-3 lbs. Both are stand bags. I tried the Mizuno Scratch, but found I didn't like laying everything down when the grass was damp and the resulting wet spot on my right butt cheek. Very glad I have stands.

I can understand that. I started a thread on the current TM Quiver sunday bag. I have not got one yet. It weighs 2.4 lbs IIRC. It is made for minimalist (side slung) single strap carry, and has stubby legs that you flick up and down with your hand. I don't know if it would keep enough of the bag off the ground or not. For the way I carry, I think it would. Only the upper mid section of the bag touches me when I carry. I intend to get one, but have not gotten around to it. Here is the thread.

http://www.golfwrx.c...st-sunday-type/

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

• 3 weeks later...

Okay ... Finally made it out for another round this evening. I was only able to play 5 holes before the weather chased me off the course (lightning and raining sideways). I played a course that recently held US Open local qualifying here in CO. I did not play the tips but played one box up. I was +1 over those 5 holes.

Not sure if I lost any shots with only a half set. There were a few holes where I felt I might have been in between clubs, but at the end of the day that is as good as I've played those 5 holes since I started playing the course.

There may just be something to this half set thing. I should be able to start playing more now that we are officially into summer, so the next few weeks will be interesting as I plan to keep trying the minimal bag.

For those of you who are skeptical, I would recommend giving it a try for a few weeks before you completely shoot down the idea. I am posting scores as good as I ever have and am also enjoying the chance to manufacture a few shots every round.

Drn92

I picked up this simple Spalding carry bag (3.5lbs empty) for under $5. carries half set with room for refreshments, umbrella etc.

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

Cleveland Launcher #4 wood

Cobra King Hyper Steel #7 wood

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

Titlelst DCI Black O/S irons 7 8 9 W SW, Lovett chipper

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

I choose which bag based on the number of clubs. 6 or 7 clubs is perfect for my Titleist Sunday bag. The small stand bags seem to balance a little better with 9 or 10 clubs. And if I do decide to go with 14, it is a big bag and a push cart. I think my favorite set up is a small stand bag (Adidas) and 9 clubs (3 wood, 4i, 6i-pw, 56, Putter), this way I'm not laying the clubs down in the dew, have clubs for all the par 3s, no gaps on par 4s, and it doesn't really stick out as different.

I'm currently using six clubs in a Sun Mountain 2Five, which is beautifully light but I really don't like the dual strap much. I'd rather have the single strap from Sun Mountain's Speedgolf bag, even if it is a bit heavier.

That Titleist bag looks good, but too logo-y. Make it as classic as the Jones and I'd be in there like a shot.

bm

I'm currently using six clubs in a Sun Mountain 2Five, which is beautifully light but I really don't like the dual strap much. I'd rather have the single strap from Sun Mountain's Speedgolf bag, even if it is a bit heavier.

That Titleist bag looks good, but too logo-y. Make it as classic as the Jones and I'd be in there like a shot.

bm

Then you should check out the TM Quiver bag in the current lineup. The legs are shorties that you flip down with your fingers; it's made for minimal single strap carry.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I gave it a go again today. I played one of my favorite courses and walked the full 18. I think I cost myself a few strokes today by not having the right club on a handful of swings. I have a new set of Ping i20's, and I do not quite have a feel for how far they will go. I had several very long putts that resulted in 3-putts. I shot 86 on a 73.6/133 rated course, 7300 yards (at altitude, so not quite that long). If it were not for the 3-jacks I would have broken 80 (yes, I had that many). Walking the full 18 was also a bit tiring towards the last few holes. I've been playing nine holes so far this year, and ran out of gas on the 15th (despite biking, running, and lifting on a steady basis).

I have one more round tomorrow ... and will play a couple more rounds this way through the next two weeks and then may go back to a full bag. No matter what, I am getting used to making half swings and manufacturing shots. In reality, other than off the tee, I have very few "stock" full swing iron shots during each round. Almost every shot need a little something different to accomplish the goal.

drn92

Well, when 5:15 rolled around this morning, I made a game day call to put the full set in the bag. I also swapped putters and put the other in a self-induced time-out. I hit the ball a bit better, but still had a number of 3 putts, which I attribute to club selection. I am not sure if it would have been much different with a half set, but I shot 77 today on a 70.9/126 course, walking and pushing (instead of carrying). Total putts were 37, or 5 better than yesterday.

I will be walking my next few rounds so will be playing only the half set for the next two weeks (out of town, playing with an old back-up set I left with my in-laws). Once I get back I'll spend a bit more time on the range dialing in my yardages. The i20's are at least 1.5 clubs longer than the Snake Eyes 600's I had in my bag, which makes it tough to pull a club. For example, today on a par 3 I have played a number of times I had what I thought was a perfect 6 iron yardage. I used the i20 7 iron and was 10 yards deep, downhill, resulting in one of my 3 putts.

One surprising thing today is that I am much less beat up after pushing. The course I played is the second course at a 36 hole complex, about 800 yards shorter but much hillier. I am pleasantly surprised I am not near as tired as yesterday, and that includes mowing the yard once I got home.

drn92

Switched up to my minimalist as I've been struggling with my full set (its all in my head) as I got my irons and wedge back from being rebuilt. Still learning about them as they are significantly stiffer then anything I've played in years, with them Freq between 328 and 350 (7.5 flex).

Will be rolling an 8 club set up as I like my Ping Rapture DI so added it. Current bag is:

'14 Rapture 13*

Rapture DI 18*

Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW

Vokey TVD 54*

Odyssey Tank V-Line

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

I haven't gotten out for a few weeks now but last time I was out I shot a 9 hole round of 44 on a par 35. Just 5 clubs in my sunday bag. Lots of fun.

150PSP System-Witb

Tour Edge Bazooka Platinum 20*

Cobra Baffler XL 6 Hybrid 

Mazel Chipper PW

Heavy Putter Light Weight Q2

Bridgestone e6 Ball