2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Starting a new adventure . . . Minimalist Golf

student of the game

Working on my Sunday bag and minimal set, thinking of getting a mini driver to double as a fairway wood. Only have one par 5 on home course that I can reach with driver and hybrid so I figure mini, mini and would be about the same distance. The two par 3's make this tougher as one is close to 200 and the other is 130. Thinking mini, 5,8,pw, 56 and putter. Looking forward to trying this and getting back to walking again, the way golf should be played!

Another nice option for a mini driver is a 13 degree 3-wood. I've got a Callaway X in 13 that is very nice. I've gone 13 3-wood, 5 iron, 8 iron, pw, sw, putter lots of times. That set is just a bit hard for an every day set as I don't have the right club for any of the par 3 holes on my home track. Sure looks good on paper though...

Another nice option for a mini driver is a 13 degree 3-wood. I've got a Callaway X in 13 that is very nice. I've gone 13 3-wood, 5 iron, 8 iron, pw, sw, putter lots of times. That set is just a bit hard for an every day set as I don't have the right club for any of the par 3 holes on my home track. Sure looks good on paper though...

I carry the the Callaway X 13...great club for straightness & trajectory, but feel the need for a/the driver...

Really leaning towards the callaway even though I haven't hit the mini, like the hosel being adjustable to open the club face a little. Can usually hit the par 3 with the 5 iron however it's normally into the wind if there's a breeze which makes it a stretch especially with creek short and to the left (my miss especially when going after it) so sometimes if tees are back it's a 4 hybrid for me.

Sorry I didn't see the distances. A 200 par three is something else with a five iron. I'd definitely be off the tee on that one. I have mainly 130-160 par threes.

I have the 14° because there was a big price difference between it and the 12° and I couldn't see spending the full price for new or buying a beat up demo 12° for the same cost as a new 14°. 13-16° seems more useful off the deck than 11-14° as well. It is very long at 14° and when compared to an XR15 9° Pro and a Tight Lies II 13.5° 3+, it sits closer to the driver with noticeable separation from the 3+. Right now I have it cranked to 13° which is -/N. It should be fun to play with and see if I can squeeze any more out of it. The adjustments are nice and very solid.

I found the 16* mini SLDR great off the deck and even better off a small tee. Easy experiment now when you can get them for $40

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Yep I was def thinking 14 maybe 16 for help getting off the deck. 16 turned down might be best option for my course. It's a short track, with a driver it's always some type of wedge left if it's in play. Thanks for the advice on the mini I think it's going to be a good fit and be able to take place of two clubs!

I like this idea of 7 or 8 clubs. I would go with...

Putter

56° SW

48° PW

8 iron

6 iron

4 iron

4 wood

1 wood

Or strong 3 wood to replace driver and 4 wood.

It would be good practice to get around with less clubs than allowed but if in a tournament or money game I want every tool available.

This is nearly the exact set I use. My PW is 47 and SW is 55. If going toward mimimal, I will use a 13 degree 3-wood instead of the woods, and a 5-iron instead of the 4 and 6. For tournaments or games I add a 9-iron and play 9 clubs. This way I have all my options from 150 and in, but still carry a small bag.

Finally made it out again with a minimal kit. I had two drivers, and one of them cost me two strokes, so I am pretty pleased with the 41 that I shot, especially considering I have not picked up a club in 3 weeks. I had ...

Driver (2 in the bag, going to stick with a Callaway Razr)

7 wood (Callaway Big Bertha from 2004'ish)

4, 6, 8, W (Snake Eyes 600c/b combo)

56 (Snake Eyes 650)

Putter (Nike Method Core ... Might swap this out)

8 total clubs, and not having the extra irons did not cost me today. Going forward I plan to look at my 56 as I am not too happy with the bounce/grind on the wedge, and could possibly replace it with a 52-58 combo to give myself more options from 110 and in. I could have dropped the 4 iron as I didn't use it, but it is a nice option "just in case" off the tee.

Made it easy to walk and carry.

drn92

Played a few holes with 7 clubs today.

Driver: Callaway XR 14 Pro 9.0°

Mini: Callaway Big Bertha 1.5 14°

3h: Mizuno Fli-Hi II 21°

7i: Titleist 716MB

52°: Top Flite Tour

58°: Top Flite Tour

Putter: Wilson 2014 8802

I got my first Birdie ever and had a great time figuring out how to make shots. It was on a Par 4 Dogleg left to an uphill green guarded by bunkers. I drew the driver a little more than I wanted, but it set me up for a primo seven iron shot that died in the last 18" of fringe before the green. I walked up on a seven foot putt that my 8802 was too happy to sink and there I stood in shock exclaiming "What?!?"

It was an awesome day and even though the wheels came off later I made some really cool shots. I figured out how to flop a 52° for a killer ball in the middle of the green. I learned I need a pitching wedge and possibly also a two iron. I learned that Eagle is a possibility given the right shots, but did not see a chance for it today.

6 clubs (& carry)

Driver (High loft...12 degree...for accuracy)

4 Hybrid (for all kind of shots)

8, PW, SW, Putter

As you get older (I'm 59) & swing speed goes down, the gaps between clubs shrinks (i.e.: fewer clubs needed on full shots).

Partial shots are a blast!

Your wedge game (shots inside 100 yards) will get really good.

Over time you will get proficient with all six clubs.

Played a solo round today in a pleasant drizzle with a half set.

Driver (910D2)

3h (915h)

5-7-9 (MP 54)

50-09 (MP T5)

56-14 (MP T5)

Cameron Newport 2

Had the course almost to myself, shot right around my index (which is just fine, considering the fairways were pretty damp by the end of the round). Didn't really miss the even numbered clubs today. Carried in an H2NO ultralight. Lots of fun!

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Thinking I might try:

Driver

4h

6i

8i

Pw (45*)

Sw (54*)

Putter

I had a pretty nice Sunday stand bag (can't remember the brand but very similar to Swift X) I picked up at Goodwill for $5 a few years back. I filled it with clubs and gave them to a buddy... I bet I could trade him my 14-way Orlimar stand bag I just replaced to get it back and he'd be thrilled. I could also make the set up out of my older clubs (Turner LPT D/4h, Caiman X2 irons, one of many putter) and not need move clubs from bag to bag... all I'd need to do is pick up a cheap Sw somewhere along the way. I wonder if walking with this setup would keep me from pulling the trigger on a push cart as well?

Anyone take this to the next level and try speed golf? I ran up behind a guy doing it around dusk a couple of weeks back at a course in Orlando. As a runner too I can somewhat see the appeal, but I also can't see the rush of it doing much for my game.

[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8+[/color] [color=#000000][i]Driver 10.5* [/i] | Matrix 65M4 Black Tie S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra[/b] [/color][color=#808080]King F8[/color] [color=#000000][i]3/4w 14.5* [/i]| Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8 [/color][color=#000000][i]5/6w 17.5* [/i]| [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][/b][/color][color=#808080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]King F8[/font][/color] [color=#000000][i]4h 22*[/i] | Aldila Rogue Pro 75 S[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]Bio Cell +[/color] [color=#000000][i]5i - Gw[/i] | [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]TT Dynalite Gold XP S300[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King WideLow[/color] [color=#000000][i]56* & 60* [/i]| TT Dynamic Gold S200[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cleveland [/b][/color][color=#808080]TFi 2135 Satin Elevado CB[/color] [color=#000000][i]Putter [/i]| 35" Counterbalance[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]OZone Cart [/color]| [color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]Shredder Stand[/color][/size][color=#696969][size=3] [/size][/color][size=3]| [/size][color=#000000][size=3][b]Orlimar [/b][/size][/color][color=#696969][size=3]Pitch & Putt Stand[/size][/color]

Thinking I might try:

Driver

4h

6i

8i

Pw (45*)

Sw (54*)

Putter

I had a pretty nice Sunday stand bag (can't remember the brand but very similar to Swift X) I picked up at Goodwill for $5 a few years back. I filled it with clubs and gave them to a buddy... I bet I could trade him my 14-way Orlimar stand bag I just replaced to get it back and he'd be thrilled. I could also make the set up out of my older clubs (Turner LPT D/4h, Caiman X2 irons, one of many putter) and not need move clubs from bag to bag... all I'd need to do is pick up a cheap Sw somewhere along the way. I wonder if walking with this setup would keep me from pulling the trigger on a push cart as well?

Anyone take this to the next level and try speed golf? I ran up behind a guy doing it around dusk a couple of weeks back at a course in Orlando. As a runner too I can somewhat see the appeal, but I also can't see the rush of it doing much for my game.

I'd like to give speed golf a try, but never seem to find an open open course. In the past when the course is open I jog between shots. I prefer to use my SM Speedcart when jogging as it is much easier than carrying. 1 hour for 9 holes is my best, but I only ran on 6 holes before I caught a group on the 7th green.

drn92

I want to keep this one fresh...

Anyone not skipping lifts and doing something REALLY exotic?

Today I have a Driver, 3-wood, 5-iron, 8-iron, PW, SW, and Putter filling out my 7. It is fun to see what others use for their 7. Short game seems to get the most attention, it is the middle and long of the bag that is curious. In truth, odd or even irons, one wood or two woods, it just doesn't seem to matter as long as there is a wedge and a putter in the mix...

• 2 weeks later...

Combined with "Rounds with a vintage bag"

Persimmon 2 & 4 woods

Blades 3 5 7 9

Putter

howzat?

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

Cleveland Launcher #4 wood

Cobra King Hyper Steel #7 wood

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

Titlelst DCI Black O/S irons 7 8 9 W SW, Lovett chipper

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Just picked up a used Ping G5 3-wood at 13 degrees. I'm very happy with it, replaced the driver and 4-wood. Now down to 7 clubs total. Fun!

And for those wondering about a nice bag for your minimalist set, Jones bags has their bags on sale at 40% off this week for black Friday. Just use code: BLACKFRIDAY

Call me Spartan McTartan and as fidgety as a ferret in yer cods Baldrick, here's my Sunday bag.

TM 5 wood, Adams 4 hybrid, MacGregor 5 7 9 SW and PAL2 putter in a W/S carry bag.

Luv it.

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

Cleveland Launcher #4 wood

Cobra King Hyper Steel #7 wood

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

Titlelst DCI Black O/S irons 7 8 9 W SW, Lovett chipper

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Was looking at Mini drivers today online but came across an old Ping G2 400 cc driver at 15.5 degrees.

Can't hit it off the deck like some mini drivers but man would that be a fun club to bag as you primary tee club.

Debating breaking down my clubs to make my mini bag or starting fresh... A single length build is calling my name with a mini SLDR or Aeroburner as my tee club.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf