2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Starting a new adventure . . . Minimalist Golf

student of the game

We briefly had a five-club walking league back in the day. It was fun, and the scores were only a little bit higher.

Using the old, weaker-lofts, I played 4-wood, 5-iron, 8-iron, low bounce sand wedge, and putter.

Tour Edge E522___driver

Cleveland QuadPro___4 wood

Top Flite Intimidator 400___5, 7, 9 woods

Mizuno Fli Hi II___driving iron

Titleist T300___7-SW

Titleist SM6___LW

Tad Moore Chicopee___putter

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

Guess I don't see the point in this "minimalist" setup. Is it to reduce weight? To speed up play? Just to say I shot sub 80 with 5 clubs ? Etc? I think this came is tough enough with 14. Lol Heck i would love to carry 16 If I was allowed. I'd also throw in a thriver type club for tee only shots and a 64* wedge

For me it comes out of necessity and the challenge. I work within the golf industry so I can only play at very odd times of the day and for me I know I can walk the course far quicker than carting it. I also have troubles playing 3/4 and 1/2 shots I am hoping this exercise will make that problem go away and help me prepare for my PAT's. Also from the few articles I have had the chance to read this should make practicing easier which is something I struggle with as well

Back in the day you only had to pass the PAT test once. Has this changed? Is it now a series of 18 hole rounds? Hope u play well!

Guess I don't see the point in this "minimalist" setup. Is it to reduce weight? To speed up play? Just to say I shot sub 80 with 5 clubs ? Etc? I think this came is tough enough with 14. Lol Heck i would love to carry 16 If I was allowed. I'd also throw in a thriver type club for tee only shots and a 64* wedge

For me it comes out of necessity and the challenge. I work within the golf industry so I can only play at very odd times of the day and for me I know I can walk the course far quicker than carting it. I also have troubles playing 3/4 and 1/2 shots I am hoping this exercise will make that problem go away and help me prepare for my PAT's. Also from the few articles I have had the chance to read this should make practicing easier which is something I struggle with as well

Back in the day you only had to pass the PAT test once. Has this changed? Is it now a series of 18 hole rounds? Hope u play well!

For the PGA Of Canada there is a couple of different ways to do it now as it seems a lot of people are leaving the organization and there is not a lot of people joining up. You have to shoot the course rating plus 10 over 36 holes or if you shoot the the course rating plus 15 you can start the process of becoming a member but you are still required to shoot the score before you become a class a.

Cobra Speedzone (8.0D) w/ Aldila Rogue 60x

Cobra Speedzone Big Tour 3 (13.5) w/ aldila Rogue 70x

Cobra Forged Tec Utility 2 (17.5) w/ $-Taper Lite X

Cobra CB/MB 4-PW w/ $-Taper Black X

Cobra MIM Black Wedge 50 degree V Grind w/ TT Tour Issue x100

Cobra MIM Black Wedge 54 degree V Grind w/ TT Tour Issue X100

Cobra MIM Black Wedge 58 degree WL Grind w/ TT Tour Issue S400

Odyssey Stroke Lab 1 Wide 34"

I have been experimenting for the last couple of months with fewer clubs in the bag and I think I have now settled on a 10 club bag. See my signature for my 10 clubs.

Really liking this setup. May take out the 8 iron but i find I'm using it quite a lot recently, I'll see how it goes. Loving the 3 iron, much better than a hybrid for me and has even got me to kick my fairway wood out of the bag.

Maybe when the summer is over I might just play a 56 instead of 52/58 but again I'm really enjoying that wedge setup.

Makes the bag really light for carrying as well.

Nice setup! You should definitely drop the 8 for a round and hit a choked down 7 if you need that distance and just see how it goes. I’ve been playing a 7 club bag (details in sig) and really haven’t been finding myself missing the in betweens. I just choke down and swing a bit easier and I seem to be getting results that don’t feel any less precise than when I have that betweeener club.

It’s fun to play around with the bag setup though. I’m pretty solid on my 4/6/8/P setup since that is how I bought my CB57s and don’t have the odds even if I wanted them, but I like to experiment with the ends of the bag. Sometimes throw in a lob wedge or maybe a driver or hybrid.

Just picked up the TEE EX10 strong 3 wood at 13* and it is definitely a driver replacement for me. Took it out for 9 on Saturday morning and wow, I think I was longer with that than my driver honestly. Incredible club, especially at $150 brand new after rebate. But it’s opened up the possibility of adding a 19*ish hybrid maybe to bridge the gap to my 4iron. We’ll see how it goes after a few more rounds.

I sure do enjoy playing minimalist though. I’m keeping my full bag around for those times I’m forced to ride a cart and because nothing there is really new enough to be worth a whole other than the putter, but this year is shaping up to be 90% my minimalist bag. Mostly just taking the full bag out for some scrambles I’ve been playing in.

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

I play 10:

3w

3hy (I could do without one of these two hybrids.

4hy

6-p

Putter

Jacked lofts and extended shafts (+1/2") make the 6i a 5i in reality. So I am really without a true PW as my PW is 44* and is truly a 9i. I prefer to take partial shots inside 100 anyway.

Drivers 52*'s and 60*'s show marginal differences in distance on the top and bottom ends of the bag for me so I prefer to do without them. The 60 and DRiver come with an increased margin of error and I have more fun leavingin the danger of these errors out of my game. I pay little mind to the fact that the pro's all have these three clubs in thier bags. We are playing two irrelevant games. They play for tons of money, I play for fun (and a little money). If I go for it in two on a par 5 and I leave my 3w approach shomewhere short of the green and I am going to be looking for it in the rough, I like that I can just grab one wedge and one putter from my bag. I dont want to have to geek out and have to decide between a gaggle of wedges. Life is too short for that imo. My wedge game is a strength and I think its because I simplify and master one loft.

And if you think you cant have a great short game with a 56* only, familiarize yourself with the greatest wedge wizard of all time: Seve Ballesteros.

Nice setup! You should definitely drop the 8 for a round and hit a choked down 7 if you need that distance and just see how it goes. I’ve been playing a 7 club bag (details in sig) and really haven’t been finding myself missing the in betweens. I just choke down and swing a bit easier and I seem to be getting results that don’t feel any less precise than when I have that betweeener club.

It’s fun to play around with the bag setup though. I’m pretty solid on my 4/6/8/P setup since that is how I bought my CB57s and don’t have the odds even if I wanted them, but I like to experiment with the ends of the bag. Sometimes throw in a lob wedge or maybe a driver or hybrid.

Just picked up the TEE EX10 strong 3 wood at 13* and it is definitely a driver replacement for me. Took it out for 9 on Saturday morning and wow, I think I was longer with that than my driver honestly. Incredible club, especially at $150 brand new after rebate. But it’s opened up the possibility of adding a 19*ish hybrid maybe to bridge the gap to my 4iron. We’ll see how it goes after a few more rounds.

I sure do enjoy playing minimalist though. I’m keeping my full bag around for those times I’m forced to ride a cart and because nothing there is really new enough to be worth a whole other than the putter, but this year is shaping up to be 90% my minimalist bag. Mostly just taking the full bag out for some scrambles I’ve been playing in.

I could never take my driver out of the bag. For me it's the most reliable club. An average for me is prob only around 230 ish yards but I could bet my house 99% of all my drives will be in the centre of the fairway. Often get comments from the guys I play golf with that they all wish they could hit their drivers like I do. Funny thing is I never practice my driver, never get to warm up before a round either as the course I play doesn't have a range. Now if I could transfer that to the rest of my bag I'd be dangerous ��

The driver is such a crucial club for me.

I play 8 clubs. D,2i,4i,6i,8i,pw,56*, and good old Miss Three Whack.

I've dabbled with a strong three wood (TEE) and it is nice to have something that I can give a run at a green from 260+, the truth is, my percentage is so low and the potential damage can be so high. I don't think it gains me a shot.

By, potentially, hitting a great drive, I can get there with a two iron. This allows me to put a ball in the green complex and get up and down (the strength of my game) for a bird.

To each their own. I want the biggest face that I can get when hitting a tee shot. I also find that confidence is the biggest key.

I hate having one trick ponies in my bag. I would be more likely to give up my putter than my driver.

I am considering, strongly, a ping 5 wood and turning it down to 17 degrees and moving the 2i to specialty times.

The driver is such a crucial club for me.

I play 8 clubs. D,2i,4i,6i,8i,pw,56*, and good old Miss Three Whack.

I've dabbled with a strong three wood (TEE) and it is nice to have something that I can give a run at a green from 260+, the truth is, my percentage is so low and the potential damage can be so high. I don't think it gains me a shot.

By, potentially, hitting a great drive, I can get there with a two iron. This allows me to put a ball in the green complex and get up and down (the strength of my game) for a bird.

To each their own. I want the biggest face that I can get when hitting a tee shot. I also find that confidence is the biggest key.

I hate having one trick ponies in my bag. I would be more likely to give up my putter than my driver.

I am considering, strongly, a ping 5 wood and turning it down to 17 degrees and moving the 2i to specialty times.

I have also gone between a driver and a 2-iron, or just a strong 3. One cool thing in a minimalist bag is to get to 7 clubs and have a true half set. For that reason (and playing courses that don't require driver on every hole) I trade my Driver and 2-iron for a nice 13 degree three wood.

I have also gone between a driver and a 2-iron, or just a strong 3. One cool thing in a minimalist bag is to get to 7 clubs and have a true half set. For that reason (and playing courses that don't require driver on every hole) I trade my Driver and 2-iron for a nice 13 degree three wood.

Yeah, I like the added versatility gained by the 3 wood vs driver. If I had a driver I was 100% consistent with that would be different but I find myself iffy with it sometimes if I'm not swinging good. I seem to do a little better with a 3 wood on those days. And this new 3 wood I'm just not giving up any distance so I haven't seen a downside to it yet. Will reevaluate if one ever comes up.

I'm not at all opposed to carrying driver and 3 wood, just don't see what it'll gain me at the moment that is worth it.

I love the variety we see in peoples minimalist setups though, it's way more interesting to see what people choose to carry when they're only bagging 7 or 8 clubs. No wrong answers either...just difference preferences, strengths etc.

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

The wife and I are jumping on the minimalist band wagon, seems like a fun and pure way to enjoy golf.

Welcome aboard!

I think "fun and pure" sums up exactly how I feel about minimalist golf. I don't know why but I definitely find it more "pure" to me and I really do enjoy myself more when playing this way.

This is a cool idea...ever since I picked up a Ping moonlite I've been taking a mix of clubs out every time, which makes me wonder if I could do this permanently.

Here is what I am thinking:

Driver

3hl at 17*

TMB 4 iron at 23 (1* strong)

TMB 6 iron at 28 (1* strong)

716 CB 7 @ 33 (2* strong)

716 CB 8 @ 38 (1* strong)

716 CB 9 @ 43 (std)

Glide @ 48 (1* weak)

Glide @ 53 (1* strong)

Glide @ 58 (std)

This adds up to 11 total with a putter, with the only real gap being between the 3hl and 4i, however I find that the TMB is so versatile that it replaces the need for a hybrid (I hit it the same distance as my 20* hybrid anyway. The 6 iron TMB would be to bridge the gap between the 4i...I find that hollow driving irons go a bit further and launch a bit higher than the corresponding CB.

All I need to test this out is a 6 iron TMB to try as well as tweaking some lofts on my current set.

• 1 month later...

Just finished reading this thread and absolutely love the minimalist idea. I am thinking about creating a purpose built set but am wondering about specs.

5w 5i 7i 9i Sw Putter for 6 total with room for a driver if desired.

I started geeking out on the different setups that could be done but then thought if I’m building a set specific to this how can I maximize my versatility?

Even iron loft gapping? Instead of 5i(26*) 7i(33*) 9i(41*) go for 25-35-45

Extended shaft length by 1/2-1” to allow distance controle by choking up or down

I had thought Titleist T-mb 5i, CB 7i, and 9i MB

Let me know if I’m over thinking this or if you have tweaked your set as well

WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

[b]Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.[/b]

Just finished reading this thread and absolutely love the minimalist idea. I am thinking about creating a purpose built set but am wondering about specs.

I started geeking out on the different setups that could be done but then thought if I'm building a set specific to this how can I maximize my versatility?

Extended shaft length by 1/2-1" to allow distance controle by choking up or down

Let me know if I'm over thinking this or if you have tweaked your set as well

I've been playing with 8 or 9 clubs for several years now. I would suggest you play a few rounds using 5-7-9 as well as 6-8-PW and see what feels more comfortable. I'm currently using Driver - 3 hy - 4hy - 7 - 9 - Gap - SW - P. Depending on the course and the length of the par 3 I may adjust the make up as I want to try and have a full club shot on the par 3s. For me at least, trying to take something off on a par 3 just seems to breed a disaster.

Hope you enjoy minimalist golf - its been a lot of fun for me.

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

I also like consistency. But I will mirror what RWC says, it is nice to have the correct clubs for the par 3s. If not the par 3s, at least a round yardage. For example, if I hit my 8 iron 150 then 5,8,9,PW may make sense as most of the shots will be within 150. If I hit 6 iron 150, then 4,6,8,PW may make more sense. I like to have a club for all the big numbers, 200, 150, 125,100. But yeah, you get to decide, that's what is so cool about it.

I started geeking out on the different setups that could be done but then thought if I'm building a set specific to this how can I maximize my versatility?

Extended shaft length by 1/2-1" to allow distance controle by choking up or down

Let me know if I'm over thinking this or if you have tweaked your set as well

Welcome to minimalist golf ... its liberating, rewarding, and fun! After trying numerous options to learn what works best (for me), I did just what you are considering ... creating a purpose built minimalist set. Enjoy the journey!

Half the clubs, twice the fun!

You'll find a go to shot for your questionable yardage, then build your set from there.

I have a better chance of hitting a low trajectory shot into greens, so I opted for the stronger lifts of 2, 4, 6, 8, 46, 56 for my setup.

I would steer clear of the even gaping. 56, 46. 36, 26, 16 would be tough

Some will find it easier to smoke a shorter club. This would push me to the odd numbers

• 1 month later...

I walked a lot this year starting with push cart, then electric trolley, now I just carry. In my Vessel Sunday 2.0 (awesome bag if they improve the legs system) with D, 4h, 6, 8, PW, 58 and putter. Score about the same or even better. I agree with posters who said you have to think more about your shots and I think that's why I score better and have more fun.

Titleist TSR2 10 

Titleist 917 F2 5W

Ping 4h 5h

Vega 6-PW
Vega Alcor 50
Titleist SM 8 54
Fourteen RM4 58
Odyssey Eleven Tour Line S 

What are the rules? How many clubs are you allowed?

Growing up my brother and I shared a set. I had odd, him even.

It’s a fun way to play. But without starting a debate, I think you would need “workable”clubs because you will have to get creative on many shots. We used to do this with one or two clubs in the field.

My son and I played in a 3-club tournament. 18 holes, 2 clubs of choice and a putter. It was really fun and eye opening. I shot only 1 stroke above my average and made me really question why I carry all those clubs.

I’m not sure I’m brave enough to make that drastic of a switch. But I could reduce by 4-6 clubs. I’m sure there would be times when I missed the,. But, I did enjoy playing where I really had to think about every shot and the next ones too.

I guess 3 wood, 8i, and putter if I could only use 3 clubs.

I think that would be manageable for a traditional course with at least semi firm fairways. But here in houston with so many layup water hazard type courses it’s hard to get creative with your shots. The courses don’t cater to much variety. But the courses in Fort Worth I grew up on this would work well.

I used to play after work and mostly walked I started to carry even on even number days and odds on odd days. It pushed me to grow a sense of feel for my clubs and not get set and mechanical with them. My best friend was the 3 wood but if I had to only use 3 clubs I’d go with my 2hy and 7 iron and 52 wedge (is that allowed??) truthfully I think I could get by putting with the hybrid and would probably make the difference up with having the ball consisently closer with the wedge.

Ping G400 10.5* 43” Prolaunch Red tipped 1” R9 3w (oldie but just can’t let it go) Adams A7 2,3,4 (again just can’t let go) Maltby TE Forged 4-G Project X 6.5 Cleveland 588 DSG 52* 56* 60* TaylorMade Spider I’ll mix and match to what course I’m playing or conditions but it works.

My current minimalist bag:

Ping Rapture mini driver

Ping G25 5-wood

Tad Moore hickory Victor irons 3, 5, and 7.

Tad Moore Star OA niblick

Chicopee putter.

Ping Moonlight bag.

In our league we play a course with 3 nines. One is only 3,000 yards. i have played this set on that nine in league play and have not lost strokes as compared to my modern set. I will be playing this set from senior tees from now until the course closes for winter.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Ping Rapture mini driver

Ping G25 5-wood

Chicopee putter.

Ping Moonlight bag.

In our league we play a course with 3 nines. One is only 3,000 yards. i have played this set on that nine in league play and have not lost strokes as compared to my modern set. I will be playing this set from senior tees from now until the course closes for winter.

Interesting to see you combining hickories and modern woods. I have a set of Tad's OA irons in my hickory bag - might add my Ping G20 13 deg 3wood and TM 23 deg hybrid and see how it goes.

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

• 2 weeks later...

I tried my first round of 9 clubs on local 9 hole course with a friend about a week ago. Was having my best round until hole 7. Forgot my range finder and completely over shooting the green on both the 7 and 8. 15 yards to far on the 7th into thick rough. and about 10 too far on the 8th causing it to role an extra 30 yards down a 45* hill. Was a tough end to the afternoon.

5w Adams Tight Lies 2

5i - nike Vapor Fly Pro

7-PW Nike VFP

50 Cleveland RTX 2.0 CB

60 Ping Tour W.

Odyssey 2-ball Fang

(+ an umbrella in the 10th slot, cant trust the weather in the UK)

Id like to replace the 50 with a 52, but I want to keep the same wedge lofts as in my full bag so I can carry on dialing in my distances.

Ping Rapture mini driver

Ping G25 5-wood

Chicopee putter.

Ping Moonlight bag.

Interesting to see you combining hickories and modern woods. I have a set of Tad's OA irons in my hickory bag - might add my Ping G20 13 deg 3wood and TM 23 deg hybrid and see how it goes.

I think that you might like that. I like the heavier weight of the hickory irons for hitting 3/4 and 1/2 shots with the irons, but the modern mini-driver is so much easier than my hickory driver.

I can hit some really nice flop shots with my Star OA niblick, that are much harder with my vokey. Again, I think the heavy, softer shaft of the hickory has something to do with that.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse