Starting a new adventure . . . Minimalist Golf

student of the game

Started yesterday with 44 points....still didn't win, some bandit got 47!!!! Anyway, off winter tees and mats but my set up was:

Driver

5 wood

7 wood

6,8,pw & sw

Putter

Now the 7 wood hasn't been behaving at all... So this Saturday I'm replacing it with my 4 iron. I can manipulate irons better than my 7 wood which I just hit fat!

I am finding a 4 iron to be much better than a hybrid or wood myself!

I usually go ...

Driver

7 wood

5, 7, 9, gw, sw

Putter

In my minimal set. 8 clubs, gaps are covered.

drn92

I've been thinking of putting this exact setup into play... I'm comfortable stepping on/taking a lot off the 7 wood, even gripping down to the shaft with it back in the stance to punch under trees. I'd then have the irons/wedges at 8* gaps from 26-58*.

Nice thread and one of the common discussions I have with my golf buddies who all play full sets. I just sold my full set of irons basically because:

1. Can't be bothered to drag them all around (prefer to carry a bag as well);
  2. Don't use them all anyway;
  3. Don't want to have what I don't use (any iron longer than 6);
  4. Don't play any better with full set of irons.

Kind of started years ago, when disillusioned with golf I sold the lot but kept a 3w, 6i, gw and putter just to get out of the hotel (I do consultancy work overseas a lot). Didn't seem to affect my HC much either. Didn't even have a golf bag, put them in a soft guitar gig bag.. Affected me cause even when I got back into golf and bought new sets of irons still couldn't be bothered to carry the lot of them. Now I kind of have 3 sets..:

1. Ultra Light (for very short trips overseas): 3w (Nike Covert 2.0), 6i & gw(Cobra from 1994); putter (Spalding) = 4 clubs in pencil bag
  2. Home set: D (Titleist 910d3), 3h (Nickent 3ds), 5h (Acer), 7i & 9i (MD), aw (TM rsi); lw (Cleveland 60o); ping putter = 8 clubs in travel bag and trolley
  3. Long trips away: D (TM M2 '17), 2h (old TM), 4h (TM M1 '17); 6i (Callaway FT), 7i (but short as an 8i, ProLine), pw (McGregor David Graham); 56o titleist, putter (Wilson) = 8 clubs in Stand bag

I guess minimalist shouldn't include driver probably but I enjoy belting one from the tee.. My profile pic has a 7 club setup but I broke the driver and the pw and just sold the other irons and the 4h.

Actually, for #3 I do not have the driver and 4h yet - arriving next week!

Bag 1: 2h: Srixon ZX4h: TM M1 ('17) ; Irons: MD Golf 7i & 9i, Wedges: RTX full face 52o & 58o; Putter: Spalding Pro Flite

Bag 2: 3h: Nickent 3dx; 3i: Cobra One-Length utility; 7i: TM M4; 8/9i: Inesis 500; Wedges: AW: TM RSi (50o); Cleveland RTX full face 54o; RTX 588 60o; Putter: Ping

Can’t wait for spring so I can get back out there with my minimal bag?.......... Anybody planning on making tweaks to their minimal bag for the upcoming season?

Yes, I think I'm going to the plastic tees full-time: Should be able to play 18 carrying no more than 6 or 7.

Equipment wise, think I'm set, but still contemplating a move to single length for the irons & wedges [a total of 5 clubs]....have no idea why, really.

Me too. Gonna do Wishon Sterlings, in a 5H, 7, 9, and GW. Sand/lob wedge likely will not change to single length.

Started yesterday with 44 points....still didn't win, some bandit got 47!!!! Anyway, off winter tees and mats but my set up was:

Driver

5 wood

7 wood

6,8,pw & sw

Putter

Now the 7 wood hasn't been behaving at all... So this Saturday I'm replacing it with my 4 iron. I can manipulate irons better than my 7 wood which I just hit fat!

I am finding a 4 iron to be much better than a hybrid or wood myself!

Me too now. Hit some solid 4 iron shots yesterday, did a few knock down ones and full smacks. Being a standard size shaft helps me as I find Woods and hybrids too long.... I'm vertically challenged!!

I've been considering throwing together a minimalist bag. Wouldn't mind having it to pump out a quick morning or evening 9 on foot. I was thinking about starting out with 8 clubs:

Driver - 10.5*

2/3 Iron - 18/20* - Might try to find a Cobra Utility or Ping Crossover or just a regular 2 or 3 iron (I'm not a hybrid guy)

5 Iron - 27*

7 Iron - 34*

9 Iron - 42*

Gap - 50*

Lob - 58*

Putter

Question: Have most of you just used clubs from your full set or did you source out the whole minimalist set? I could easily just take every other club from one of my two full sets but I kind of want to source this out and put together a unique bag of different clubs/brands. I'd be buying these used so I plan on going into the Michigan golf show in a few weeks on the hunt. I'm just wondering if it would be better (for consistency) to use the clubs that I already play.

I've been considering throwing together a minimalist bag. Wouldn't mind having it to pump out a quick morning or evening 9 on foot. I was thinking about starting out with 8 clubs:

Driver - 10.5*

2/3 Iron - 18/20* - Might try to find a Cobra Utility or Ping Crossover or just a regular 2 or 3 iron (I'm not a hybrid guy)

5 Iron - 27*

7 Iron - 34*

9 Iron - 42*

Gap - 50*

Lob - 58*

Putter

Question: Have most of you just used clubs from your full set or did you source out the whole minimalist set? I could easily just take every other club from one of my two full sets but I kind of want to source this out and put together a unique bag of different clubs/brands. I'd be buying these used so I plan on going into the Michigan golf show in a few weeks on the hunt. I'm just wondering if it would be better (for consistency) to use the clubs that I already play.

Me and my dad went minimalist a while back so I sold my callaway x20s for a tidy sum and we split my dad's ping set up. I had the evens because he didn't want to use the 4 iron and I did.... My dad had the odds. Been great since

I use 1/2 my full bag here and there BUT since this is WRX I also have a minimalist bag I'm building with all of my favorite Ping clubs.

Just cause....

In my full set I use a 4h all the time... in the Ping bag I use a 7 wood and a 5 hybrid... so there are subtle changes that give me some more range in a smaller setup.

I just need one more Glide wedge and that setup is complete!

G30 Driver

K15 7 Wood

G30 5 Hybrid

i500 8 iron

Glide 46

Glide 58

Anser Putter

I find it hard to take alot off the i500 cause the head is so hot.. so need to throw in the glide PW.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Me and my dad went minimalist a while back so I sold my callaway x20s for a tidy sum and we split my dad's ping set up. I had the evens because he didn't want to use the 4 iron and I did.... My dad had the odds. Been great since

Yeah, I like the idea of keeping the 5, 6, & 7 (possibly even the gap) the same brand/model. Makes a little harder to find but I'm in no rush.

I use 1/2 my full bag here and there BUT since this is WRX I also have a minimalist bag I'm building with all of my favorite Ping clubs.

Just cause....

In my full set I use a 4h all the time... in the Ping bag I use a 7 wood and a 5 hybrid... so there are subtle changes that give me some more range in a smaller setup.

G30 Driver

K15 7 Wood

G30 5 Hybrid

i500 8 iron

Glide 46

Glide 58

Anser Putter

I find it hard to take alot off the i500 cause the head is so hot.. so need to throw in the glide PW.

Ha, trust me, I know how the "just cause.." way goes.. My second set I built is a completely raw mid 2000's Titleist set - Just cause...

Good luck finding that last piece!

Yeah, I like the idea of keeping the 5, 6, & 7 (possibly even the gap) the same brand/model. Makes a little harder to find but I'm in no rush.

Just cause....

G30 Driver

K15 7 Wood

G30 5 Hybrid

i500 8 iron

Glide 46

Glide 58

Anser Putter

Ha, trust me, I know how the "just cause.." way goes.. My second set I built is a completely raw mid 2000's Titleist set - Just cause...

Good luck finding that last piece!

Ebay is good, just type in golf half iron set add used condition and there's quite alot for very good prices too.

My bag (previous post) was built specifically as a minimalist set. I do not own other clubs. As a matter of fact, to prevent me from not sticking with it, I sold all other clubs beside a 19 deg iron that i sometimes switch with my hybrid. Kind of forces you to commit!

That was my thinking and did the same, I only swap my 4 iron for a 23 degree 7 wood... Depends which is behaving the most... It's the 4 iron at present time

I started playing a half set after losing interest in the game. Previously I played to win a match or shoot a new low score or reach a new low index. As playing opportunities have become more spread out and practice time non-existent, my game started to fade. The game became frustrating because I wasn't reaching new levels or pulling off the same shots that I have in the past.

At that point, I decided to stop thinking about the past or future achievements, and start becoming more present. Appreciate the time outside, the people I'm playing with and just have fun with each shot that I hit as opposed to obsessing over the total score. All of a sudden the fun return to the game. I started noticing that club selection was pulling my attention away from these things, so at that point I decided to try a half set of irons. After a few rounds of adjustments, my scores started getting better again and my index is now at an all time low. Simplicity has returned my love for the game!

Currently I'm playing:

Driver

3 hybrid

4 iron

6 iron

8 iron

PW

56 Putter

I had tried to hold out to 7 clubs, but every round I'm finding a par 5 or two that I can reach with the hybrid and a couple of tee shots that driver is too much. I chose a hybrid over a fairway for the versatility. In 2019 I've only played 2 rounds with a full bag and that was only because I knew I would have to ride in a cart that day. I have a custom 5 club set of National Custom Works irons/wedges that are in the work that are going to make this short set thing even better.

I started playing a half set after losing interest in the game. Previously I played to win a match or shoot a new low score or reach a new low index. As playing opportunities have become more spread out and practice time non-existent, my game started to fade. The game became frustrating because I wasn't reaching new levels or pulling off the same shots that I have in the past.

At that point, I decided to stop thinking about the past or future achievements, and start becoming more present. Appreciate the time outside, the people I'm playing with and just have fun with each shot that I hit as opposed to obsessing over the total score. All of a sudden the fun return to the game. I started noticing that club selection was pulling my attention away from these things, so at that point I decided to try a half set of irons. After a few rounds of adjustments, my scores started getting better again and my index is now at an all time low. Simplicity has returned my love for the game!

Currently I'm playing:

Driver

3 hybrid

4 iron

6 iron

8 iron

PW

56 Putter

I had tried to hold out to 7 clubs, but every round I'm finding a par 5 or two that I can reach with the hybrid and a couple of tee shots that driver is too much. I chose a hybrid over a fairway for the versatility. In 2019 I've only played 2 rounds with a full bag and that was only because I knew I would have to ride in a cart that day. I have a custom 5 club set of National Custom Works irons/wedges that are in the work that are going to make this short set thing even better.

Welcome back.

Phil

I saw Brandel Chamblee drinkin' a piña colada at Trader Vic's
His hair was perfect

[size=2][i]- Warren Zevon, Werewolves of London[/i][/size]

[size=4]All the clubs I've ever owned.[/size]

tried this last year with my vl clubs and enjoyed it, since going sl I was looking at making 2 sets out of mine, one for home and one for the road, do any of you add any extra clubs for tournament play, I'm looking at probably 8 cubs right now but maybe 10 come tournament time.

905t

steelhead xr heavenwood, 9 wood

eye2 becu

hoganardi baby ben currently

always hoing the next best thing

tried this last year with my vl clubs and enjoyed it, since going sl I was looking at making 2 sets out of mine, one for home and one for the road, do any of you add any extra clubs for tournament play, I'm looking at probably 8 cubs right now but maybe 10 come tournament time.
When I add for tournaments, I try not to add many. My minimal bag is usually:

Driver

4 wood

4,6,8,PW

Putter

For tournaments/club/cash play I will may toss in the 5,7,9 irons. None of these adds seem to make a difference in my score, after all the driver, putter, and SW are always there:) I mainly will add so my partner(s) don’t think I don’t care...

I ended up putting together a cool little set:

2016 M2 - 9.5*

Titleist 712U 2i - 18*

iBlade 5i - 27* (might bend to 26*)

iBlade 7i - 34*

iBlade 9i - 42*

Cleveland 588 Raw - 50* (might bend to 51*)

Cleveland 588 Raw - 60*

Rife Antigua

Went with the Titleist Premium Sunday Bag. I thought about going Jones or something more traditional but I really liked the functionality of this bag. I might have some clubs bent to spread the lofts out more evenly. I also need to re-shaft the irons as I can't stand the C-taper 125 in them. I got these for a pretty good price so I'm okay with that. I am still waiting for some of the clubs to arrive but I am looking forward to giving this a go!

This is a fun topic. What is the maximum number of clubs you can carry that still qualifies as 'minimalist'?

I don't play minimalist all the time. I usually play a full bag in club competition each Saturday. It's more the casual rounds in between where I just want to carry fewer clubs. It can vary from 7 clubs to 12 but with 8-10 clubs I feel I have all my options covered.

Driver, 3 hybrid, 5, 7, 9, GW, SW, Putter this is my favorite 8 club setup. For 7 clubs I lose the GW ( but I miss it). For 10 clubs I add a 3 wood and a PW.

Driver, 5 wood, 4 hybrid, 6, 8, PW, SW, Putter is another option but for some reason I just prefer the odd numbers. The 5, 7 and 9 irons are my favorites and I feel like I have all the shots/dustances covered with those in the bag and the GW is my go to club around the green.

My 12 club setup is Driver, 3 wood, 3 hybrid, 5-PW, GW, SW, Putter. Not sure if this setup qualifies as minimalist but it's still lighter than carrying 14 and all the bases are covered.

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

I guess there are two ways to look at minimalist golf. Some may only want to play say 5 clubs so they sacrifice the driver for example because you can't afford a club that is just used off the tee so you carry a 3 or 4 wood instead. A set might look something like this:

4 wood

6 iron,

9 iron,

Sand wedge,

Putter

But that's not the reason I play. I want to use minimalist golf to practice my normal, full set golf so I want to carry.

1.A driving club i.e. my normal driver (need all the practice I can get LOL).

2. A fairway club for long fairway shots. i.e. a 5 wood or 3 hybrid.

3. A spread of irons to cover distances, 5, 7, 9 works for me.

4. Wedges for around the green, GW and SW.

5. A putter (in real minimalist golf you might putt with a hybrid or fairway wood I guess).

To each their own but that is my preferred minimalist approach.

Whst is yours?

I guess there are two ways to look at minimalist golf. Some may only want to play say 5 clubs so they sacrifice the driver for example because you can't afford a club that is just used off the tee so you carry a 3 or 4 wood instead. A set might look something like this:

4 wood

6 iron,

9 iron,

Sand wedge,

Putter

But that's not the reason I play. I want to use minimalist golf to practice my normal, full set golf so I want to carry.

5. A putter (in real minimalist golf you might putt with a hybrid or fairway wood I guess).

Whst is yours?

This! You explained my setup perfectly. I look to minimize what I carry, but still never feel like I am missing out. In addition my 8 club setup has made me a "better" golfer, and I don't sacrifice anything. Still get to hit driver, attack par 5's, 2 wedge choices around the green, etc. I play:

Driver

3w or Driving iron

5i

7i

9i

GW

LW

putter

I realize I could easily drop driver and a wedge and get down to 6 clubs and my score will probably be the same, but I think at that point I start to possibly sacrafice something. Even if it is just the enjoyment I get from hitting driver or the rare chance to hit a flop with the LW.

4 wood

6 iron,

9 iron,

Sand wedge,

Putter

Whst is yours?

This! You explained my setup perfectly. I look to minimize what I carry, but still never feel like I am missing out. In addition my 8 club setup has made me a "better" golfer, and I don't sacrifice anything. Still get to hit driver, attack par 5's, 2 wedge choices around the green, etc. I play:

Driver

3w or Driving iron

5i

7i

9i

GW

LW

putter

I realize I could easily drop driver and a wedge and get down to 6 clubs and my score will probably be the same, but I think at that point I start to possibly sacrafice something. Even if it is just the enjoyment I get from hitting driver or the rare chance to hit a flop with the LW.

This describes me as well ... minimize what I carry, but not feel like I am missing out anywhere I play. I have a core 8 club set-up for most of my rounds, occasional going with both a fairway metal and hybrid for 9 clubs, or dropping the driver or a wedge for 7.

Half the clubs, twice the fun!

Minimalists,

Has this taught you to become a better / more creative player? I assume learning to hit you X iron +/- 10 yards on demand is helpful for scoring. Or perhaps you've just become more of a feel player this way? I'm intrigued.

TSi2 9° HZ Gen4 Black | TSi2 15° HZ Gen4 Black | Ts2 19° & 25* HZ Smoke Black 

T-200 6-48° | SM9 56° 60° S300

Odyssey 7 Bird 

Minimalists,

Has this taught you to become a better / more creative player? I assume learning to hit you X iron +/- 10 yards on demand is helpful for scoring. Or perhaps you've just become more of a feel player this way? I'm intrigued.

I used to play competitively (HS and Collegiate) once the real world happened, I realized my practice time went to quarter of where it was.

My strength has always been working the ball. I cant hit it straight, but bending the ball has always been comfortable for me.

When i carry 14, i play too straight. My hc went from 8 to 11. My 5 lowest scores (13 of my lowest 15) have been with 8 clubs.

I'm not going to lie to you and tell you that there were times i with i had a 15* fairway to try and hit a par 5 in two. BUT, consider the alternative was a knock down four iron to a PW...

It's a choice that i think more amateurs should consider. It "can" make u a better player (i have heard this, especially with the wedge situation, being forced to manipulate one wedge can easily transfer to multiple wedges). For me, it is a consistent and scalable form of the game.

My set up is:

Driver

2 iron

4 iron

6 iron

8 iron

Pw

56 or 58

Putter

When i play in cash games, folks think that i dont care. When conditions get weird (wind, rain, unexpected course conditions) i find myself tweaking my approach. While others are battling to make the conditions conform to them.

It's an overall change to the game in mentality (you are probably going to manipulate half of your shots... so get used to it) but you also set reasonable expectations for yourself.

Case in point: playing in a cash game in Vegas, my group had very similar shots from 65 out. It was a hard pan lie, extremely bare ground. I saw the first player hit a Word not allowed wedge that didn't hold the green, two more hit thin shots. I hit a six iron. Flew it about 40 yards and let the green help me. To ten feet, and of course, two putted for par. I won the hole with a par.

The guys were upset at the end of the day claiming that the game was easier with less clubs. "You aren't trying to be perfect. That's not golf"... I cracked up, I took my 80 bucks from each of them, while they misered over their side bets.

In a scramble tournament, I was goated into playing all 14. I played poorly, tried to hit perfect numbers. Not my game. My buddy, who was on the team, later told me that he thought it was a mistake. I was on the team because, in the two day event, I was there for my ability to drive, putt and hit shots from places that we were in non optimal positions.

It is addicting and can become your best way to play. But this game is meant to be enjoyed, especially at our level.

Minimalists,

I think you learn lots of things. A main one is that most of the shots are with driver/wedge/putter. That's 3 clubs. Add a couple more for the fairway shots and you're good. Also, you learn that perfection is not needed to play good golf. And lastly, it really is a nice break to carry a short bag from the garage to the car, the car to the shop, the shop to the course, and everywhere on the course. For those of you wondering if you should try it, track your rounds. If you're not hitting a club at least (what?) like 5 times in a round, why carry it?

Minimalists,

I think you learn lots of things. A main one is that most of the shots are with driver/wedge/putter. That's 3 clubs. Add a couple more for the fairway shots and you're good. Also, you learn that perfection is not needed to play good golf. And lastly, it really is a nice break to carry a short bag from the garage to the car, the car to the shop, the shop to the course, and everywhere on the course. For those of you wondering if you should try it, track your rounds. If you're not hitting a club at least (what?) like 5 times in a round, why carry it?

That's a brilliant way of putting it. Just add 3 (hybrid these days), 5, 7 and 9 irons and you're good to go. :)

After reading dozens of posts and seeing what minimalists carry in their bags, I'm wondering how you get out of pot bunkers with anything less than 56* loft? Even opened way up a 56 doesn't have the bounce to allow you to get over a deep wall. Curious.

TSi2 9° HZ Gen4 Black | TSi2 15° HZ Gen4 Black | Ts2 19° & 25* HZ Smoke Black 

T-200 6-48° | SM9 56° 60° S300

Odyssey 7 Bird 

After reading dozens of posts and seeing what minimalists carry in their bags, I'm wondering how you get out of pot bunkers with anything less than 56* loft? Even opened way up a 56 doesn't have the bounce to allow you to get over a deep wall. Curious.

56 is fine, been in the deep bunkers of birkdale, Lytham and hillside which are really deep recently and my old ping karsten iii sw pops the ball up nicely. Learning to open the face and shot is the key