2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Starting a new adventure . . . Minimalist Golf

student of the game

I have finally found my Ideal minimalist set up. Took me the better part of the last 4 months to get my gaps comfortably figured out. I went in telling myself there are certain clubs I have to have and worked backwards from there. What I ended up with is an 8 club bag with a Cleveland Sunday bag.

Cleveland Launcher 460 10.5 nv 65 xtra stiff

Exotics e8 15

Exotics ex10 25 with tour ad 56

Callaway Razr H XL 6 iron with 75gm graphite

Cleveland 588p x100 7&9i

Cleveland 588 dsg 54

My irons are old school lofts so they fit the gaps well. The 9 iron is a 44 loft so it plays like a strong wedge. My favorite club is the 25 hybrid. It does literally anything I ask it to do. Can’t wait to keep up the minimalist setup in New England fall

My set up has been semi-minimalist for a few seasons now. Driver,3 hybrid,5-gw,sw,putter. Basically combined 54/58 wedge into 56 and dropped the fairway and 4 iron. 11 clubs suits me perfect. Easy and light with no real gap issues.

COBRA BIO CELL+ (9.5*)-MATRIX 8Q3 STIFF
TITLEIST 585H (21*)-TTDG S300
COBRA FLY Z PRO (5-PW)-TTDG S300
TAYLOR MADE TP Z (56*)-TTDG S300
BETTINARDI BABY BEN -33"

Spent 4 days in Cabot on a trip keeping track of what I used in a full bag of clubs. I seem to use the wedges far more then anything else so I'm altering my setup alittle. Definately pulling my 5 wood and 4 hybrid (both shorter shafts cause I play OL) and my 5 iron and replacing it all with a conventional 4 hybrid. I may also pull the 54 58 62 in favour of a 55 60... But I really like the 62 and I seem to use the 58 alot.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

I decided to play a couple of 9 hole walking rounds recently. I had visited this thread before and it gave me the idea to play these rounds. Wanted to switch things up a bit so I went out with Driver, 4,6,8,PW, 54 (Full swings), 56 (short game), and putter. Some of the more consistent ball striking rounds I've had all season. It's about to start snowing here in NE Ohio so I'm not sure if I will get out again this year but I will definitely be using a minimalist approach more often next season. Maybe switch out the even and odd numbered irons from round to round to change things up a bit

• 1 month later...

My 2019 Bag 1(b) is coming together nicely.... The fact I have a Bag (1)b is troubling so I might as well have fun with it.

G30 driver 11*, K15 7 wood 22*, G30 hybrid 26*, i500 8 & UW, Glide 58*, Ping Karsten TR #5 putter (7 clubs)

Bag 1(a) is fairly similar but different...

G30 driver, Cobra F8 hybrid 22*, Wishon Sterling 6-UW, Vokey SM5 54-58-62, Ardmore TP putter.

I'm a full convert to single length so my Ping bag is all at 8 iron length which is the same as my Wishon setup.

I can easily shoot the same scores regardless but I have alot of fun using 7-8 clubs.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Recently (before snow, yuck), my Sunday bag setup has been:

Driver

17* hybrid

5 iron

7 iron

9 iron

50* wedge

60* wedge

Putter

On one course I like using three wood off the tee on many holes so I bring that too. It's not noticeably heavier and I have no prestige in carrying fewer clubs, so... Other times I just bring all 14 and push a cart instead, but especially during the cold months I just don't see the need for a full bag. Going down south for the Holidays and only bringing my Sunday bag! :partytime2:

• 3 weeks later...

Minimalist? Here's my approach. I quit chasing clubs. Since 1990, I've played (at least) the following irons, owning each set:

• Tour Edition (Ping clones)
  • Hogan Edge
  • Cleveland VAS 792
  • Ping Zing
  • TM Burner Bubble (graphite)
  • Mizuno blades (can't recall which)
  • Ping I3
  • TM Burner Bubble (steel)
  • Ping I5
  • Hogan Apex
  • Titleist 762
  • Ping I10
  • Ping G15
  • Ping Rapture
  • TM Rocketbladz
  • Ping G20
  • TM RSi1
  • Ping G
  • Wishon Sterling (single length)

I've made a similar trek through drivers and putters, too. It's pathetic. But something happened. I decided to quit treating my illness myself and turn to a professional...a fitter.

First, in 2015, I purchased a Happy putter from Brainstorm. Adjustable all over the place (lie, loft, offset, weights). No putters since. In November 2016 I was fitted for a set of Wishon Sterling one-length irons. No irons since, including the set of Pings I still have. Soon after, I was fitted for a driver--would never have thought I'd buy a Titleist, but it did the best job lowering my RPMs (by about 1,000). No more drivers.

Since that mad rush I've reverted to an old 2-wood, retained a Ping driving iron, and switched back and forth between Sterling and Callaway SW and LW--fringe stuff, related to going to single-length irons and their relationship to wedge play.

After all those clubs over all those years, I haven't purchased a driver or irons set in more than 2 years. I know that doesn't sound significant, except when considering my club binging ways. I feel really good about where I'm at and I don't intend to change unless something really, significantly better comes along.

Of course, if Ping comes out with its own set of single-length irons, I'll look like an AA grad dashing off to celebrate at a bar. I'm working on my apologies as we speak.

Minimalist? Here's my approach. I quit chasing clubs. Since 1990, I've played (at least) the following irons, owning each set:

• Tour Edition (Ping clones)
  • Hogan Edge
  • Cleveland VAS 792
  • Ping Zing
  • TM Burner Bubble (graphite)
  • Mizuno blades (can't recall which)
  • Ping I3
  • TM Burner Bubble (steel)
  • Ping I5
  • Hogan Apex
  • Titleist 762
  • Ping I10
  • Ping G15
  • Ping Rapture
  • TM Rocketbladz
  • Ping G20
  • TM RSi1
  • Ping G
  • Wishon Sterling (single length)

I've made a similar trek through drivers and putters, too. It's pathetic. But something happened. I decided to quit treating my illness myself and turn to a professional...a fitter.

First, in 2015, I purchased a Happy putter from Brainstorm. Adjustable all over the place (lie, loft, offset, weights). No putters since. In November 2016 I was fitted for a set of Wishon Sterling one-length irons. No irons since, including the set of Pings I still have. Soon after, I was fitted for a driver--would never have thought I'd buy a Titleist, but it did the best job lowering my RPMs (by about 1,000). No more drivers.

Since that mad rush I've reverted to an old 2-wood, retained a Ping driving iron, and switched back and forth between Sterling and Callaway SW and LW--fringe stuff, related to going to single-length irons and their relationship to wedge play.

After all those clubs over all those years, I haven't purchased a driver or irons set in more than 2 years. I know that doesn't sound significant, except when considering my club binging ways. I feel really good about where I'm at and I don't intend to change unless something really, significantly better comes along.

Of course, if Ping comes out with its own set of single-length irons, I'll look like an AA grad dashing off to celebrate at a bar. I'm working on my apologies as we speak.

Will you be getting down to 7 clubs in your bag?

Can’t wait for spring so I can get back out there with my minimal bag. Plan to keep going with it pretty much the same, may throw in a driver or a hybrid here and there taking me up to 8 clubs sometimes but have no plans to change from my core 7 club setup as the basis for my bag this year. Probably need to replace my 3 wood after denting it badly but hoping to find an exact replacement. Otherwise maybe I’ll give the Cobra F8 I have sitting around another try, it quickly got benched last year when I found my TEE but it’s still hanging out in the closet somewhere.

Anybody planning on making tweaks to their minimal bag for the upcoming season?

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

Will you be getting down to 7 clubs in your bag?

No. My minimalizing comes from decreasing my proclivity towards building an inventory of slightly used clubs in my garage. I see no reason to reduce the number of clubs I carry.

Ah. This thread is really about playing golf with a minimalist set of clubs. 5 clubs. 7 clubs. 9 clubs. Less than a full set. Once you've got your set down, maybe give minimalist golf a go. It really is fun, and your scores will sometimes even be better! Congratulations on stopping the club ho-ing:) You make a good point that once you get fit properly, may as well stick with it...

Can’t wait for spring so I can get back out there with my minimal bag. Plan to keep going with it pretty much the same, may throw in a driver or a hybrid here and there taking me up to 8 clubs sometimes but have no plans to change from my core 7 club setup as the basis for my bag this year. Probably need to replace my 3 wood after denting it badly but hoping to find an exact replacement. Otherwise maybe I’ll give the Cobra F8 I have sitting around another try, it quickly got benched last year when I found my TEE but it’s still hanging out in the closet somewhere.

I used to always go from my PW to a 54 degree and end my bag there. I have always felt that the 54 was important for that 100 yard shot, but in reality, I don't get that shot all that often, and I many times wish I had a better tool directly around the green. Also I used to carry a strong 3 wood instead of a driver as I felt I wanted a wood for off the fairway. But again, a 4i would be fine most every time. So still 7 clubs, but stretching from driver to SW. Driver,4i,6i,8i,PW,SW, Putter.

I have been walking while pushing my 20 month old in a stroller... Picked up a cheap Sunday bag from Amazon and I freaking love it. I carry Driver, OL utility 21*, OL 6,8,P, 54 and putter.

I honestly see no difference in my scores. It is way fun to, hit a lot more creative shots.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

I used to always go from my PW to a 54 degree and end my bag there. I have always felt that the 54 was important for that 100 yard shot, but in reality, I don't get that shot all that often, and I many times wish I had a better tool directly around the green. Also I used to carry a strong 3 wood instead of a driver as I felt I wanted a wood for off the fairway. But again, a 4i would be fine most every time. So still 7 clubs, but stretching from driver to SW. Driver,4i,6i,8i,PW,SW, Putter.

Nice, is your SW a 56 or something else? Your setup sounds pretty close to mine overall. Be curious to see how that driver > 4i gap goes. That’s a setup I haven’t tried, I’ve always kept the 3 wood in when adding the driver. I’ll have to give it a go sometime.

I have been walking while pushing my 20 month old in a stroller... Picked up a cheap Sunday bag from Amazon and I freaking love it. I carry Driver, OL utility 21*, OL 6,8,P, 54 and putter.

I honestly see no difference in my scores. It is way fun to, hit a lot more creative shots.

Welcome to the club! Yeah, I haven’t found my scores changed much if any and it’s just fun, like you said! I enjoy golf more when I play with my minimal set and enjoyment is really the only reason to play unless you’re a pro making a living at it.

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

Been a dedicated minimalist for the last 1.5 years and definitely plan to continue, coming off my best year ever.

Pretty well settled into a core set-up but continue to make minor tweaks. Added a driver and went from 1 wedge to 2 this year. 9 clubs at the moment, but would like to get back down to 7.

I enjoy following this thread to see other approaches and get ideas.

Half the clubs, twice the fun!

I go minimalist in winter.

Driver

4 wood

3 hybrid

5,7,9 irons

Gap and lob wedge

Putter

I could probably drop either the fairway or the hybrid but keep both to cover all the club “family” types.

Used to keep a backup set for winter but found it counterproductive to maintain continuity. Usually try to keep the bag under 15 lbs with a Jones Rover bag

This was my setup the other day before the snow arrived in town.

D 7wd 5hy i500 8 iron 58* putter

The k15 22° is a dream club for me. Got mine off ebay from hawaii. It's got a lot of gold/brass color and Japanese writing on the shaft. Looks like a speciality item for the Asian market. Flippy shaft. Covers 150-180 depending where I grip it, swing speed, etc. This club is so great and versatile I will always have it in the bag, along with the 31°hyb and sweet 16 driver.

I will be going back to the short bag this year. During Q4 of last year, I got convinced that more clubs will lower my scores.

Truth?

Average went up 2 strokes...

I learned some things though.

Remembered my strengths. My best round was a 74 with 5 GIR... my game is kinda ugly, but it works. Putting, driving and short game versatility are my strengths.

Truth is, I hit shots, I dont nessecarily play golf when hitting my irons. I'm always trying to manipulate shots. Woth a full kit, it looks me into "see number, try to hit number" and really altered my game.

Average greens with 7 irons was 8. Average greens with 4 irons is 10.3...

I will be going:

Driver: yet to be named (currently 8.5 Ping Anser)

17 Hybrid

4 iron (really looking at a hybrid or hot 4 iron here)

6 iron (710 MB)

8 iron (710 MB)

PW or 46*

56 or 58 wedge

Putter

What are your guys thoughts on a vokey 46 vs a PW from the 710MB series? Obviously, the versatility will be nice from the vokey.

I am trying to find some Adam's DHY hybrids in 18 and 24 for the top end. I also like the 818 H2 (17*).

But, a 5 wood has been something that I have been interested in too... maybe at 17 or 19 degrees... is a fairway wood tougher to flight down than a hybrid?

That looks like a nice setup! I think I'm going to give the driver/hybrid combo a shot for a few rounds this year, or maybe just my strong 3 and a hybrid for ultimate versatility. I feel like I'm comfortable with anything up to 9 clubs even though I mostly play with 7 lately. I tried adding a second wedge (60) but found that didn't work for me and I really like having just one wedge past the PW that I use for everything. But I could see filling that gap between my strong 3/driver and my 4i with a hybrid.

I've never gone with a wedge style PW, I've always had a PW from my set. I've thought about trying it in the past but just haven't ever done it. I really like my current PW so I don't think i'll be trying it anytime soon, but if I had a set where I didn't love the PW I definitely would consider it. From what I've seen of the 710MB I think I'd probably like and stick with that PW, but on a more game improvement set I'd want true wedge instead probably.

The k15 22° is a dream club for me. Got mine off ebay from hawaii. It's got a lot of gold/brass color and Japanese writing on the shaft. Looks like a speciality item for the Asian market. Flippy shaft. Covers 150-180 depending where I grip it, swing speed, etc. This club is so great and versatile I will always have it in the bag, along with the 31°hyb and sweet 16 driver.

That's what I rock as my FW as well.. I used it so much I wore it out and sent it for a refinish at Continental Golf. Now it's matte grey with matte black i25 racing stripes. K15 is a magical club.

i've decided to bite the bullet.

my long game was suffering at the end of the season. Too many clubs, not enough practice. I could theoretically go way less but then I wont get the right trajectory into greens

Driver

4 wood

4, 6, 7, 8, 9 (5 degrees apart)

46-52-58

putter

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

Can’t wait for spring so I can get back out there with my minimal bag?.......... Anybody planning on making tweaks to their minimal bag for the upcoming season?

Yes, I think I'm going to the plastic tees full-time: Should be able to play 18 carrying no more than 6 or 7.

Equipment wise, think I'm set, but still contemplating a move to single length for the irons & wedges [a total of 5 clubs]....have no idea why, really.

Phil

I saw Brandel Chamblee drinkin' a piña colada at Trader Vic's
His hair was perfect

[size=2][i]- Warren Zevon, Werewolves of London[/i][/size]

[size=4]All the clubs I've ever owned.[/size]

I am retooling the top and bottom ends.

Top:

Driver

18 hybrid (good bye 2i)

Some kind of hot 4 iron (p790, i500, etc)

Bottom:

New 56 (looking at a pm grind, maybe the new ones)

I am always intrigued by the 3 deep model from Cally.... I just think a well struck drive outperforms a 3 wood. 3 wood can be penal on misfits.