Starting a new adventure . . . Minimalist Golf

student of the game

1. Most courses I play don't have pot bunkers.

2. I usually carry a 56 or 58 degree wedge even in my minimalist setup.

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

I will take out half my clubs when I carry, will often alternate which half I’m taking. My brother has my old set of irons but he’s in the market soon to get new ones so when he does I’m going to take the even #s and make a dedicated half set, I’ve got a hybrid, some old wedges, and an old putter sitting around. My home course is only 5200 yards so it will look like:

18° 2H

4-6-8-pw

Putter

Could also be really useful if I get a very last minute invite to play and don’t have time to drive to the club to grab my sticks.

After reading dozens of posts and seeing what minimalists carry in their bags, I'm wondering how you get out of pot bunkers with anything less than 56* loft? Even opened way up a 56 doesn't have the bounce to allow you to get over a deep wall. Curious.
It’s a good idea to tune your bag to the course you’re playing. If you end up playing a course where you need a 60, put it in your bag for the day. Maybe you won’t need another club at that course. I’d say that most of us who use 4/6/8/PW vs. 3H/5/7/9 do so because of the course we play and the par 3s on said course. The goal of minimalist play is to enjoy the round with fewer clubs, sometimes even more thought goes into such bags than a bag of 14...

Yeah, I don’t play courses with pot bunkers around here. I find my 56 super versatile but I do own a 60, just dont find it a useful club to carry around here. If I was going to play a course that had deep pot bunkers then I might consider adding it to the bag.

I think the comment about not trying to play perfect golf is so key to this approach. Playing minimal let’s me let myself off the hook for playing perfect golf. When the distance is on between my clubs it’s time to pick an alternative to the perfect shot. That can be trying to take 10y off the longer iron or hitting the shorter iron, maybe trying to get a little extra out of it, and being okay with trying for a short chip and a one putt vs getting on the green and two putting. For my game, that’s usually just fine.

It also makes me consider consequences a little more heavily. If the distance to the green is a perfect 7 iron for me and I have a 7 iron then I’m going to hit it. When I don’t have a 7 iron and I have to pick between and 8 or a 6 you can be sure I’m paying a lot of attention to what the better miss is....short or long...and selecting my club based on that. With the 7 I can still go short or long easily enough...so having to pick an alternate club often let’s me take the worse of the two misses out of play. Which can be surpringly beneficial.

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

Check out wingtip golf on IG and national custom works.

They show off some impressive builds with 10, 8, 7 and variable lofts.

I aim for 8, but I have seen 10 as well

Thanks for the recommendation. That account is really cool.

They are both cool. You can message them on IG and they will reapond.

Fairway Fred is the handle of the creator of National Custom Works here on WRX. Hes always about, check out the thread about scratch golf.

Wingtip also runs less than 14.. both cool.accounts. Does a sunday bag stories feature on Sundays. Cool stuff

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

I considered a custom set to cover the range of my 4-P with 5 clubs instead of 4. In the end decided not to proceed due to the expense but I still lust after those National Custom Works irons and will probably cave and order a set someday. They do amazing work and the look of their hand ground irons is so cool. I still have a spreadsheet somewhere on my computer where I figured everything out because once you get away from the standard set makeup the length/loft/lie changes to make a smoothly blended set get a little less intuitive.

Yeah, anybody who likes this thread and is on Instagram should follow Wingtip and <14, great accounts and his Sunday bag stories are my favorite....and not just saying that because I was the first one ;)

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

I considered a custom set to cover the range of my 4-P with 5 clubs instead of 4. In the end decided not to proceed due to the expense but I still lust after those National Custom Works irons and will probably cave and order a set someday. They do amazing work and the look of their hand ground irons is so cool. I still have a spreadsheet somewhere on my computer where I figured everything out because once you get away from the standard set makeup the length/loft/lie changes to make a smoothly blended set get a little less intuitive.

Yeah, anybody who likes this thread and is on Instagram should follow Wingtip and <14, great accounts and his Sunday bag stories are my favorite....and not just saying that because I was the first one ;)

I was looking at my sticks last night, with some Tin Cup. I might snap some pics and see if I can get into the rota.

I have a guys golf trip coming up. 8 guys, 3 rounds and it can get competitive. Last year, second place. With the short bag no less. This year I am catching a lot of stuff about shots I left on the course.

Well see this year, we will see indeed.

I’ve been thinking about splurging on a vacation set to keep in Florida for when I go down there a few times a year. Irons I’ll buy new and everything else I can scrounge from from used racks or what I have at laying around at home. This would be an ideal minimal set for me, forgiving irons that I’m familiar with and enjoy. Versatile wedge. Hopefully some easy to hit woods. Should be fun.

Unknown driver playing at 8.5

Unknown 3W playing at 15

Titleist TMB 3,5,7,9,W

Callaway PM Grind 58

Putter of some sort

Jones original carry bag

Sounds good but

No 7i?

I would go Driver, 4hy, 7i, 2 wedges, putter.

Truly minimal would be

7i

Well funny story as to why there is no 7 iron. Early this season I broke my 9 Iron, so my short game kind of revolved around 8 iron and pw. The goal for this set is to be at 7 clubs, with my gapping I am pretty confident that I can still post good scores.

I am a long ball hitter so we shall see how this turns out.

Even funnier story:

One year I was trying to qualify for the US open. In one of the events my caddie and I get in an argument early in the round as I want to hit driver and go for eagle and he wants me to play it safe and hit my 2 iron. The jerk goes and snaps my driver. So then I want 3 wood, but he snaps that too!

So just to 'show' him, I snap all my clubs...... except the 7 iron. I never miss with my 7 iron - it is the only truly safe club in my bag.

I pared in with just my 7iron to qualify!

Now that his true minimalist golf.

Just watched Tin Cup the other night one of my all time favourite movies

One of my favorites also. I keep thinking it's going to end differently. They should re-release it on Netflix with a different ending and not tell anyone. That would be hilarious!

I have found a need for my mid and short irons(5-pw), but dumped the long irons and fairway woods. Split the difference with a 21* hybrid and I'm content. Also only have the PW (bent to 48) and SW (56)

COBRA BIO CELL+ (9.5*)-MATRIX 8Q3 STIFF
TITLEIST 585H (21*)-TTDG S300
COBRA FLY Z PRO (5-PW)-TTDG S300
TAYLOR MADE TP Z (56*)-TTDG S300
BETTINARDI BABY BEN -33"

I’ve been thinking about splurging on a vacation set to keep in Florida for when I go down there a few times a year. Irons I’ll buy new and everything else I can scrounge from from used racks or what I have at laying around at home. This would be an ideal minimal set for me, forgiving irons that I’m familiar with and enjoy. Versatile wedge. Hopefully some easy to hit woods. Should be fun.

Unknown 3W playing at 15

Titleist TMB 3,5,7,9,W

Callaway PM Grind 58

Putter of some sort

Jones original carry bag

The only hard thing for me there is the wedge gap. My set wedge is 45 and then I carry a 50 and a 58.

Ive been thinking about splurging on a vacation set to keep in Florida for when I go down there a few times a year. Irons Ill buy new and everything else I can scrounge from from used racks or what I have at laying around at home. This would be an ideal minimal set for me, forgiving irons that Im familiar with and enjoy. Versatile wedge. Hopefully some easy to hit woods. Should be fun.

Unknown 3W playing at 15

Titleist TMB 3,5,7,9,W

Callaway PM Grind 58

Putter of some sort

Jones original carry bag

The only hard thing for me there is the wedge gap. My set wedge is 45 and then I carry a 50 and a 58.

Well the TMB W is a technically a gap wedge at 50. That set has a PW option also.

Unknown 3W playing at 15

Titleist TMB 3,5,7,9,W

Callaway PM Grind 58

Putter of some sort

Jones original carry bag

Well the TMB W is a technically a gap wedge at 50. That set has a PW option also.

I’d probably drop the 3w and 3i and replace with some type of higher lofted fairway wood or a hybrid to split the difference. Otherwise a great setup.

I have some old Eye2’s with the 48 degree Wedge that makes it easy to go 4, 6, 8, W and a 56 to round out the irons.

drn92

9* driver

18* 5 wood

23* Utility/4i

27* 6 iron

36* 8 iron

46* PW

54* GW

60* LW

Putter

-or-

15* 3 wood

24* 5 iron

32* 7 iron

41* 9 iron

50* GW

54* SW

60* LW

Putter

I like the first setup better but am seeing that I have nice options here! And that my Z565 iron lofts are jacked.

TSi2 9° HZ Gen4 Black | TSi2 15° HZ Gen4 Black | Ts2 19° & 25* HZ Smoke Black 

T-200 6-48° | SM9 56° 60° S300

Odyssey 7 Bird 

Any carry and or stand bag outside of those with 14 way dividers can be suitable, most are pretty light w/ no clubs. All depends on your aesthetic preferences. For my money the Jones classic stand bag does the trick, especially when they do their 40% off sales.

I go between 7, and 9 sticks depending on the situation. Weekend cart rounds I’ll add the extra wedge or long iron just for the hay, otherwise it’s lean and mean.

D, 19° Di, 5i, 7i, 9i, 50°, 56°, putter is the goto set. Truly my favorite way to play!

Unknown 3W playing at 15

Titleist TMB 3,5,7,9,W

Callaway PM Grind 58

Putter of some sort

Jones original carry bag

I’d probably drop the 3w and 3i and replace with some type of higher lofted fairway wood or a hybrid to split the difference. Otherwise a great setup.

I have some old Eye2’s with the 48 degree Wedge that makes it easy to go 4, 6, 8, W and a 56 to round out the irons.

drn92

Brilliant set up, I do exactly the same but my eye2s have been replaced with g2s... Have the same old school lofts i.e my 6 iron is a six iron

This topic inspired me to put together a dedicated minimalist set to play every once in a while. I found a set of my grandpa’s Louisville persimmon woods in great shape, so I went on eBay and got some neat Hogan Apex Edge irons for like $40. My goal is to only have driver, 4 irons, and a putter. For the irons I am going to get as close to 26°, 36°, 46°, 56° as I can. So it will look like:

Driver

4i, 7i, EW, SW

Putter

Trying to figure out what kind of bag I want to carry them in. I want something simple, single strap, small, and used so it isn’t too expensive.

I had designed a custom 8 club set up with progressive lofts and lengths, but never got round to building it.

13*, 43.5"

18*, 41.25"

24*, 39.5"

31*, 38"

39*, 36.75"

48*, 35.75"

58*, 35"

I was even going to do progressive shaft weights and head designs going from blades in the wedges up to SGI in the long irons and a hybrid and oversize 3 wood. Its still on my list to do. But don't have the time at the moment

This topic inspired me to put together a dedicated minimalist set to play every once in a while. I found a set of my grandpa's Louisville persimmon woods in great shape, so I went on eBay and got some neat Hogan Apex Edge irons for like $40. My goal is to only have driver, 4 irons, and a putter. For the irons I am going to get as close to 26°, 36°, 46°, 56° as I can. So it will look like:

Driver

4i, 7i, EW, SW

Putter

Trying to figure out what kind of bag I want to carry them in. I want something simple, single strap, small, and used so it isn't too expensive.

Ping Moonlight. Or Sun Mountain 2.5+. I use one or the other.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

So my doc ups my blood pressure medicine and I decide enough is enough. Time to lose some weight. One way I'm attacking this is walking instead of riding. Which brings us to the topic at hand.

I went out with a minimalist bag (for me) for the first time today. My courses are very hilly so I didn't want to lug my full 14 club cart bag. I pulled out the Stitch SL-1 and just loaded in the bare minimum - Driver, 5 wood, 23 degree hybrid, my 7 and 9 irons (my set is juiced so those are 30 and 40 degree lofts), 50 and 56 degree vokeys and a putter. 8 clubs. I had 6 balls in the bag (I tend to panic going over water so I will lose balls), a couple of tees and the GPS watch. I had a towel strapped to the bag but that's it. I was surprised I didn't really score any worse than I normally do with a full set! I'm not a really long hitter so not having the 3 wood and 6 iron (actually a 5 iron loft) I normally use wasn't really even noticeable except for the par 5's where I did miss the 3 wood on the second shot. Third shot was just 7 iron instead of the usual 8 or 9. I noticed I missed a few holes I normally reach a little short. That's about the only things I noticed, none of which I can't adjust to. Next time I'll throw the 3 wood in and see what happens.

The walk was nice, albeit freezing cold. I don't think the pace of play for me was all that different. Maybe 15 minutes more, maybe. The Stitch is the perfect weight and size for me.

I plan on keeping this up. My son walks for his HS team and he and I play a lot. We'll just start walking together. Maybe get more conversation in which will be nice.

I played in a tourney this past summer and left my driver, 52° and 60° in the trunk of my other car and didn't realize until I got to the course. Shot a 79. It was not fun playing without my 52° and 60°. I was pretty lights out with the 3W that day so I didn't miss my driver much.

I know nobody cares, but just thought I'd share my one and only "minimalist golf" experience. I prefer to have a full bag with me.

Taylormade M1 9.5°  |  Speeder 661

Ping G 14.5°  |  Aldila NV 75

Titleist T-MB 21°  |  S400

PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW  |  Elevate Tour X100

Callaway MD Forged  |  Recoil 125

Taylormade  |  Spider Tour Black

I played in a tourney this past summer and left my driver, 52° and 60° in the trunk of my other car and didn't realize until I got to the course. Shot a 79. It was not fun playing without my 52° and 60°. I was pretty lights out with the 3W that day so I didn't miss my driver much.

I know nobody cares, but just thought I'd share my one and only "minimalist golf" experience. I prefer to have a full bag with me.

I care! That's awesome. I fear not having my 60* as it is my exclusive club out of green side bunkers and always has been.

TSi2 9° HZ Gen4 Black | TSi2 15° HZ Gen4 Black | Ts2 19° & 25* HZ Smoke Black 

T-200 6-48° | SM9 56° 60° S300

Odyssey 7 Bird