2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Starting a new adventure . . . Minimalist Golf

student of the game

I picked up a Maxfli sunday bag last week, but I have been experimenting with a minimalist set up for a while now. Just for those lazy days I don't want to carry 14 clubs for 9 holes after work. I played 6 clubs: driver, 2, 5, 8, SW, putter and have been shooting roughly the same, low round of 76 at my home course. I like that it forces you to practice partial shots, as that's probably my biggest weakness, I prefer to have 115 yard full shot than a 45 yard partial shot. As long as the wedge and putter are working, I don't feel the lack of clubs hurts my scores that much.

• 3 weeks later...

Went out with the full kit today for a change.

Driver

4 wood

7 wood

5-Lob

Putter

for a total of 13 clubs.

Shot a tidy 40 for 9 holes on a local course rated 36.5/136. I hit the ball okay, putted okay, chipped a little less than okay. It could have been a few strokes lower (or higher) but I was pleased with the score. Going back to the minimal bag (9 clubs) for my next couple of rounds to see if there is a big difference again.

It seems like my scores are about the same regardless of what is in my bag this year. They key for me is hitting greens, putting, and short game.

drn92

I think that is the moral of the story lol.

Bubba said it once: "the games really easy when you hit fairways, greens and putts".

Yep! What is driving me nuts is that I do not seem to hit the ball any closer to the hole with a full set than I do with a half set. Logically it would seem that if I had the right club for a specific distance and I could make a "stock" full swing I should be more consistent. However, in reality, it has not worked out that way.

drn92

Bubba said it once: "the games really easy when you hit fairways, greens and putts".

Yep! What is driving me nuts is that I do not seem to hit the ball any closer to the hole with a full set than I do with a half set. Logically it would seem that if I had the right club for a specific distance and I could make a "stock" full swing I should be more consistent. However, in reality, it has not worked out that way.

drn92

This^^^. Many people even play better with less!

drn92

It has been an interesting year. I've been tracking my scores for the past 10 years, and my "total" handicap index this year is the third lowest index of the past ten years (I define "total" as the HI with all scores from the current year included ... Not just the best 10 of the last 20 like the USGA does). My overall HI is on the lower half of the past ten years.

I've played both full and half sets and have had 5 different sets of clubs in the bag this year. I might start using a bat, shovel, and hoe at this point!

drn92

As long as it is a legitimate swing then you don't have an issue (love that movie).

It really matters on clearing up the grey space. With a smaller set, from 160; in either hitting a good 8 or a punch 6. I'm not beating about the two other clubs that can come into play based on other conditions that I'll manufacturer in my head (i.e. Looking for wind, looking for slope).

drn92

It has been an interesting year. I've been tracking my scores for the past 10 years, and my "total" handicap index this year is the third lowest index of the past ten years (I define "total" as the HI with all scores from the current year included ... Not just the best 10 of the last 20 like the USGA does). My overall HI is on the lower half of the past ten years.

I've played both full and half sets and have had 5 different sets of clubs in the bag this year. I might start using a bat, shovel, and hoe at this point!

drn92

This confirms my own findings based on my own less than perfect game that I will play about as well as my swing that day allows with very little variation caused by the clubs I choose.

I'm hemming and hawing as to what I'm going to take with me tomorrow. :dntknw:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

drn92

drn92

This confirms my own findings based on my own less than perfect game that I will play about as well as my swing that day allows with very little variation caused by the clubs I choose.

I'm hemming and hawing as to what I'm going to take with me tomorrow. :dntknw:

Once you decide, throw all your other clubs way up in the attic! That way you can't change your mind on the way to the car in the morning:)

Made it out yesterday for a quick 9 with the "half" set.

Driver - Callaway Razr Fit

7 wood - Callaway 2004 Big Bertha

5, 7, 9, U, S, L - Ping i20's

Putter - Odyssey #7

9 clubs that have pretty much become the standard minimal set. As noted in an earlier post, these hit the ball a loooong way. At least a club longer than what I am used to. I shot a 39 at Fox Hollow in Lakewood, CO. It was nice to carry and walk and the lighter bag certainly helps. I only had 14 putts, but had three more from the fringe so was hitting the ball ok.

It is still interesting (and frustrating) that my scores are the same regardless of what is in the bag. If I could just hit the ball a bit closer on the approach I might actually shoot some (for me) really good scores.

drn92

I shot 76 earlier this season with 5 clubs. At that time my best score for 8+ months anywhere, using anything.

It was both rewarding and frustrating in equal measure. What am I doing with the other 9 clubs!

I still play with 14 clubs but my strategy has changed.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

I've been considering a move like this myself, cutting my regular bag to 10, and going out with 7 clubs as well. The only thing that's kept me from it is lack of the right 3 wood that can perform off the tee or fairway. I have a titleist 906f 15.5 that's great off the grass but not so much off the tee. On the other hand, I have an old Callaway GBB Warbirt 3+ that's really solid from the tee, but I wouldn't dare hit it off grass. Currently I have both in my bag!

So...

I shot 76 earlier this season with 5 clubs. At that time my best score for 8+ months anywhere, using anything.

It was both rewarding and frustrating in equal measure. What am I doing with the other 9 clubs!

I still play with 14 clubs but my strategy has changed.

Other than the weight off your shoulders, this really is the biggest lesson from gaming a minimal set. Many times when gaming 14 clubs I analyse the shot as if I was playing my minimal set. I think, "should I punch a 5 or rip a 7? Oh yeah, I've got a 6 with me today." LOL. At then end of the day, all three options would have resulted in the same score...

• 3 weeks later...

I feel more confident with a minimal bag. I have the same five clubs in my bag everytime I play. I have learned to hit shots with those 5 I never thought possible. What I love about minimalist setups the most is it's still golf no matter how many you carry the game remains the same. Get the ball in the hole asap. With my 5 club set this season I am averaging a 44 for 9 holes par 36 or 35. My low is a 40 from the middle tees. Just as good as if I had 14.

150PSP System-Witb

Tour Edge Bazooka Platinum 20*

Cobra Baffler XL 6 Hybrid 

Mazel Chipper PW

Heavy Putter Light Weight Q2

Bridgestone e6 Ball

I'm back to 14 clubs now but one is a Ping Chip-O and only in the bag so I don't sit at 13 (superstitious) I'm very comfortable with 12 but can easily make that 10 with ZERO issues.

My off-season plan is to build a minimalist setup using Tom Wishon's Sterling irons and hybrid along with my old TM putter, a mini SLDR, and a 7 wood.

I'm going to assume I'll shoot better scores... anytime I've removed the clubs I don't hit well and just left the ones I like... I save 2-3 strokes.

Looking forward to building this other set.. which may become the main set in a hurry.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

I'm back to 14 clubs now but one is a Ping Chip-O and only in the bag so I don't sit at 13 (superstitious) I'm very comfortable with 12 but can easily make that 10 with ZERO issues.

My off-season plan is to build a minimalist setup using Tom Wishon's Sterling irons and hybrid along with my old TM putter, a mini SLDR, and a 7 wood.

I'm going to assume I'll shoot better scores... anytime I've removed the clubs I don't hit well and just left the ones I like... I save 2-3 strokes.

Looking forward to building this other set.. which may become the main set in a hurry.

This would be an interesting build. I thought that the same length clubs would struggle with gapping across a full set. But, with larger gaps it could be the ticket.

This would be an interesting build. I thought that the same length clubs would struggle with gapping across a full set. But, with larger gaps it could be the ticket.

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while since I've played and added to the thread ...

I played 13 holes tonight with an old college friend. Kept score on the front 9 and then played 4 more on the back before it was too dark. I had the full kit tonight, but could have easily played 9 clubs since there were 3 I did not hit at all. However, I did shoot one of my best rounds of the year with a 36 at Fossil Trace in Golden, CO. We played the blue tees (one up from the back) and I drove the ball really well, which set me up for a bunch of short irons and wedges for second shots. I hit 6 fairways and 7 greens and had 16 putts. The greens were recently punched, but rolled fairly well. I played my 5th (or 6th) set of irons this year with the following set-up:

Driver - Callaway Razr Fit S flex, 11.5 loft

Fairway - Callaway Big Bertha 2004 7 wood, firm flex

Irons - Ben Hogan BH-5's, 4 through Wedge, Apex 3 flex

Wedges - Snake Eyes 650's, 52, 56, and 60, DGR300's

Putter - Nike Method Core 5

Pretty excited to shoot a really good score (for me) and very surprised that my wedges were so dialed in tonight. 6 wedge approach shots, all inside 20 feet.

I have one more important round this year on Wednesday (9 hole father son tournament) and will keep the same setup. After that it is back to 9 clubs the rest of the year. Most likely will play 5, 7, 9, W, 52, 58 and keep the driver, fairway, and putter.

drn92

• 4 weeks later...

Decided to play the final medal round of the year yesterday with half-set. Driver, 4,6,8 irons, PW, SW (58 degrees) and putter. My home course is par 70 and just over 6,100 off the back tees.

Shot 79, which is buffer zone off my 7 handicap. Only one hole (the 18th) where I felt I didn't have a club to hit the green in regulation. Went with 4 iron and left myself a 30 yard pitch to the green. Missed the putt for par but overall very happy with the round. Found a lot of approaches were struck well due to gripping down on a longer iron than the yardage demanded and focussing on smooth tempo and a crisp strike.

Will play through to the start of next season (March), with the half-set in a pencil bag. Really enjoyed having the clubs on my back again, as I usually walk and push a trolley.

minimalist golf...what is the point unless you are off a +6 hcp...isn't the game hard enough?????? you will need all 14 clubs on most days

With the addition of the 21° hybrid to my bag I find there are a lot of clubs I am not using. A solid drive and a follow up from the hybrid is most par 5's. I could very easily go Driver or Mini, 21°, 7, 9 or PW, 52°, Putter. I don't feel like I'd be giving up a whole lot there. The toughest part is covering the Par 3's and making sure you're on in one.

Read an interesting article on the World Speed Golf championship ... The winner played 18 holes in 50 minutes and shot even par. Not too shabby! The competitors typically play a minimal setup of 6 or 7 clubs.

I am no where near that level of fitness (or golf) but it is cool to see that you can score quite well by playing quickly with a minimal setup.

drn92

minimalist golf...what is the point unless you are off a +6 hcp...isn't the game hard enough?????? you will need all 14 clubs on most days

It's fun.

It is fun! The challenge of the game is fun, but so is walking with only 10lbs on your back. Not to mention not having to pack all the stuff. I think it is more than fun, it is freeing...

Read an interesting article on the World Speed Golf championship ... The winner played 18 holes in 50 minutes and shot even par. Not too shabby! The competitors typically play a minimal setup of 6 or 7 clubs.

I am no where near that level of fitness (or golf) but it is cool to see that you can score quite well by playing quickly with a minimal setup.

drn92

World Speed Golf Championship...sounds like the course is closed and everybody plays as fast as they can without getting caught.

Played with 9 clubs today. Only one time the entire day was I between clubs all day. That shot I hit an easy 6 (since I wasn't carrying a 7) and hit the best shot of the day by far! 18 inches away! I don't know If I will be getting down to the half set for regular play, but this *necessary nine set is here to stay...