2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Starting a new adventure . . . Minimalist Golf

student of the game

Finally got out after a lay off and glad I did. I played the tips at my home club and shot my personal best from the back tees. I shot a 43 +7 for nine holes. I even got a birdie today which was great. The rating is 34.6/128 from the tips so I feel good shooting that with only my 5 clubs. My previous best was 44 from the middle tee at my home club. This is my first year at this club so very happy with how things are going.

150PSP System-Witb

Tour Edge Bazooka Platinum 20*

Cobra Baffler XL 6 Hybrid 

Mazel Chipper PW

Heavy Putter Light Weight Q2

Bridgestone e6 Ball

I last played 2.5 weeks ago and it was the most frustrating round. I am playing with my boss and shoot 96. He beats me by 11. To add insult to injury, he thinks (or thought of me) as a good golfer and invites me to play with customers because of it. It wasn't nerves because I have played with him a handful of times. I could find the fairway to save my life and wasn't recovering at all.

Fast forward to yesterday. I am playing with one of my customers and I bring my Jones bag with.....

913FD 13.5

913H 3H

TM 2014 TP CB 5, 7, 9, PW

TM TP ATV 56*

TP Mills Mizuno putter

I pretty much played with what felt like a 9 to 3 swing all day. Hit the ball better than I have in over a year and shot 77. Granted it is only a 5900 yard course and par 71 but it was so much fun. Never had this many looks at birdie (made 2).

Made it out today (first of a few rounds while on vacation). Playing with an old set that I leave at the in-laws. I had ... SMT Nemisis driver, Snake Eyes Python 3w, golfsmith XPC 4, 6, 8, W, S, and L, and a Wishon putter in an old Ping Hoofer bag for a total of 9 clubs. Shot 40 on the front nine of a local course (34.8, 126 rating). The irons are a bit off my normal specs and I left a bunch out to the right, but overall it was a fun, walking round and my bag was super light.

I may keep this up when I get back home. The biggest impact to my score is not hitting the ball as close as I could from the fairway. I am leaving too long of first putts. Not sure just how many strokes it is costing me yet, but a half set makes walking a lot nicer and pulling the club easier.

drn92

This Monday at my mens league I'll be breaking out the Sunday bag and doing D, 4 H, 6,8,W,54/62 and the putter. Taking an extra wedge for fun..

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Made it out today (first of a few rounds while on vacation). Playing with an old set that I leave at the in-laws. I had ... SMT Nemisis driver, Snake Eyes Python 3w, golfsmith XPC 4, 6, 8, W, S, and L, and a Wishon putter in an old Ping Hoofer bag for a total of 9 clubs. Shot 40 on the front nine of a local course (34.8, 126 rating). The irons are a bit off my normal specs and I left a bunch out to the right, but overall it was a fun, walking round and my bag was super light.

I may keep this up when I get back home. The biggest impact to my score is not hitting the ball as close as I could from the fairway. I am leaving too long of first putts. Not sure just how many strokes it is costing me yet, but a half set makes walking a lot nicer and pulling the club easier.

drn92

There is a bunch of three putting happening here.

The thing about minimalist golf is that we ALL have three STOCK shots that we can hit with ALL clubs.

With the short clubs I can drop them back and hit a low spinner (shorter but stops where I hit it), with the long clubs I can drop them back and turn them over to hit a low runner.

The poor distances are an acquired taste attributed to shotmaking. By dropping alternate clubs you are saying that you are comfortable manipulating clubs by as much as 20-30 yards (depending on swing speed). To do that it can't be a 9-3 sort of thought. It requires some movement of the golf balls spin radius (not a stock, "hit it straight")

The three putting is just that, I'd look at my ground game at that point.

Hopefully you give it more time as, in my opinion (please take it as such, I think it's the way the game "should" be played, although poor course design dictates otherwise.... At least in the US), this is what is needed to begin understanding the true vulnerability of the course and your game.

Yesterday, I played nine holes, using only my adjustable iron and an ancient Bulls Eye putter. I played from the ladies tees, so I didn't keep score. I'm a lefty, but I putted righty on putts under 3 feet. Didn't miss many, must have been the different perspective.

Anyhow, on #8, I was 80 yards away, dialed in an 9I setting, and hit the pin on the fly. I thought it went in, but no, 3 inches from the hole. On the par 3 ninth hole, I miffed the drive, still ended with a bogey.

I hit my drives with the 4 iron setting on the adjustable. I was getting around 160 yards hitting it well. Under the 4 iron settings doesn't increase the yardage, due to the total length of the club.

I'm planning on playing today the adjustable and putter. Walking the course with the 2 clubs, and four balls in my pocket is pure joy.

Play well!

Second nine of my vacation. Played the back side of the same course. It is rated slightly tougher. Shot a 43, and it definitely was not due to having a half set. I just didn't have it tonight. The "in-laws" set of clubs is quite far off my normal specs and is throwing me off a bit (yeah, I know, a bit of an excuse but I'm going with it). I'll have at least 2 or 3 more rounds on vacation and plan another few rounds when I get back. Going to keep the half set in the bag through July to see how it goes.

Handicap is the same as last year with 4 rounds under my belt. 2 rounds from this year count, the other 8 are from last year.

drn92

Keeping this thread alive ... played again this morning at another course. Rated a full 2 strokes higher and several points more difficult on the slope. Shot an 84 and again, really didn't hit the ball all that well. I might have lost 2-3 strokes with the half set, but I think the "vacation" set of clubs is costing me more strokes than the half set.

I do know that I'll be working a lot more on my short game (inside 100 yds, chipping, and putting) when I get back home. The last several rounds have shown me that I am just not hitting it close with my wedges and getting up and down when I have the chance. My putting is also atrocious this year as compared to the past several seasons. My best estimate is that the half set is costing me a stroke per round and my poor short game is costing me two to three strokes per round as compared to last year. As I get a few more rounds under my belt I do see my handicap going up a stroke or two unless I start playing better.

I'll be out tomorrow afternoon. Switching the bag up a bit by going with 5, 7, 9, and Gap wedge (instead of 4, 6, 8, and PW). Still 9 clubs.

drn92

I'm not that good either, but I am definitely having fun!

Yesterday I hit the ball into a fairway bunker. I was about 165 out, too far to try to muscle an 8 iron. I choked down a 6, took a 3/4 punch cut swing at it, and hit a beautiful cut shot to about 15 feet. If I had a 7 iron I do not know if I would have been any closer. I'll remember that shot the rest of the summer.

drn92

Keeping this thread alive ... played again this morning at another course. Rated a full 2 strokes higher and several points more difficult on the slope. Shot an 84 and again, really didn't hit the ball all that well. I might have lost 2-3 strokes with the half set, but I think the "vacation" set of clubs is costing me more strokes than the half set.

I do know that I'll be working a lot more on my short game (inside 100 yds, chipping, and putting) when I get back home. The last several rounds have shown me that I am just not hitting it close with my wedges and getting up and down when I have the chance. My putting is also atrocious this year as compared to the past several seasons. My best estimate is that the half set is costing me a stroke per round and my poor short game is costing me two to three strokes per round as compared to last year. As I get a few more rounds under my belt I do see my handicap going up a stroke or two unless I start playing better.

I'll be out tomorrow afternoon. Switching the bag up a bit by going with 5, 7, 9, and Gap wedge (instead of 4, 6, 8, and PW). Still 9 clubs.

drn92

One thing I noticed when I started going out with a half set was that it took me a few rounds before I quit thinking in terms of "which club do I need?" and more "which shot do I need?" This has been the most entertaining and valuable thing for me, as it now carries over to when I am playing with a full set. I feel I am more creative on the course than I was before, and that is making the game a lot more fun.

I have also found that certain courses seem to fit certain bag arrangements more than others. I have two courses that work much better with a 4,6,8,PW set, and one that fits better with a 5,7,9,GW set. Probably because of the par 3 yardages.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

I think it costs me strokes. I used to not think so, but I have to admit otherwise. The biggest culprit is needing another wedge. But when I'm walking 9 with a minimalist bag, I have no real score expectations. I would like to think that as I get better with it, I could shoot about the same either way.

Regarding the missing wedge, a weak sand wedge. It makes no sense for me to be leaving my favorite short game club at home. At first I thought, well, I'll learn more shots with the strong sand wedge. Sure, that's true. But it's taking away reps with my best wedge. I'd rather get better with it, than with the one that is a distant second choice. So I have to re-jigger the setup. And changing the bottom end changes everything in a 6 or 7 club bag. I'll probably add a club.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

9 more holes tonight. Went with the 5-7-9-Gap combo (instead of the 4-6-8-W combo). I was still a little loose but did score quite a bit better with a 38 on the front nine of the local course (34.8/126 rating, 1 birdie, 3 bogies, 5 pars). I hit the ball closer to the hole and putted quite a bit better. Short game still hurt me a bit as I didn't get up and down when I had the chance, but I did have a few good looks at birdie and made one.

I'll get 9 more holes in this week and most likely another 45 next week with a half set of my regular clubs. It will be very interesting to see if my scores improve when I have my normal driver, wedges, and putter back in the bag. Then it is back to reality (back to work and back to school for the kiddos).

drn92

Played today but went with the full set since I grabbed some Eye2+'s from the 'bay last week. I probably could have played a half set since it seems like most of my shots were with the even numbered clubs (I hit a couple 9 irons but could have easily hit 8 or W instead).

Shot 78 on a course I played earlier this summer. Working on only 4.5 hours of sleep and 11 days away from home, so I am pretty happy with the score. The wheels came off on 16 and 17 or it could have been a couple strokes lower (double, double, par on the last three holes). I was also a bit off with my short game and didn't get up and down as much as I should have, so that was the big impact on my overall score. I hit more fairways and greens than my season average, and putted about average.

I will definitely get another 27 in later this week and I am going with the half set for those rounds.

drn92

I think it costs me strokes. I used to not think so, but I have to admit otherwise. The biggest culprit is needing another wedge. But when I'm walking 9 with a minimalist bag, I have no real score expectations. I would like to think that as I get better with it, I could shoot about the same either way.

Regarding the missing wedge, a weak sand wedge. It makes no sense for me to be leaving my favorite short game club at home. At first I thought, well, I'll learn more shots with the strong sand wedge. Sure, that's true. But it's taking away reps with my best wedge. I'd rather get better with it, than with the one that is a distant second choice. So I have to re-jigger the setup. And changing the bottom end changes everything in a 6 or 7 club bag. I'll probably add a club.

I thoroughly enjoy playing and walking with a minimalist set up. I feel like for 15 holes I play the same, but if I get too far in between clubs, miss the green, then don't have the right wedge, trouble can snowball. So while I love golf this way, I only do it occasionally for fun and feel that it is not doing my HCP justice. That raises a question, do folks post scores and play tournaments with your minimalist set ups?

This season I'm averaging a 45.5 for 9 holes with 5 clubs. I play the middle tee wherever I play. My low is a 41 with a high of 51. My game travels well for my ability level. Yes, I'm the very definition of a bogey golfer. With 11 and 12 clubs I played a bit worse so I just stick with 6 maximum.

150PSP System-Witb

Mazel Chipper PW

Bridgestone e6 Ball

I thoroughly enjoy playing and walking with a minimalist set up. I feel like for 15 holes I play the same, but if I get too far in between clubs, miss the green, then don't have the right wedge, trouble can snowball. So while I love golf this way, I only do it occasionally for fun and feel that it is not doing my HCP justice. That raises a question, do folks post scores and play tournaments with your minimalist set ups?

I stopped playing tournament golf a few years back. However, I have posted all my scores this year in a mix of both full and half sets.

drn92

Played with the minimalist setup mentioned above and fired a 43 on my home course (9 holes). Went out today and played 18 with 12 clubs and shot 43/39.

Playing D, 5 wd, 4 hb, 6,7,8,9,W,UW,54,58 and putter... Could really trim that down to 52/58 wedges and drop the UW from the set.

Will rock the 12 clubs again tomorrow...

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

One more try again today. I played at the same course where I shot 86 a couple weeks ago, but one box up from the tips. Course rating is 71.3/130, and I have a couple hundred rounds there in my life, so I am pretty familiar with the course. I completely revamped the clubs I took down with the exception of my 7 wood. In the bag were:

TM Burner Plus driver (R flex)

Cally BB 7 wood (firm flex)

Snake Eyes 600 irons with DGR300 (4 and 6 cavity, 8 and W blades)

Snake Eyes 685 56 degree wedge (DGR300)

Odyssey White Hot Pro #7 putter.

8 clubs total. I keep trying to put a different set in the bag, but I always come back to these Snake Eyes when my swing is struggling.

Ended up shooting 80 with 33 putts, which is a pretty decent round for me on that course. If my short game would have been a bit tighter I figure I would have shot about 77, but of course then my long game would have been off and the score might have stayed the same!!! I had a bunch of pars and bogies with one birdie thrown in.

Some thoughts after trying this for several rounds ...

1) Short game is key to scoring well. With fewer options and the need to make "non-stock" swings, being able to get up and down and/or 2 putt from anywhere is key.

2) Missing on the right side of the green takes a little pressure off your short game.

3) I am probably not good enough to need all 14 clubs, but I am going back to a full bag for the next several weeks to see if there is a noticeable change.

4) I am going to try a higher-end ball as well. I think I lost strokes on and around the green, and even though the Callaway Hex Soft from Costco is a good ball, it does not spin as well as the higher end balls on delicate pitches and chips.

5) It really does not matter what clubs are in my bag. Over the past 8 weeks, I've had 3 different drivers, 4 different fairway woods, 3 different putters, and 4 different sets of irons and wedges and my scores have all been in the same range. Sure, some feel bette3r than others but at the end of the day, after a bit of range time and a round or two, all of the clubs play basically the same.

6) However, consistency is very important so I plan to stick with the same set the rest of the year (if possible ... this is Golfwrx after all!!!).

I think I'll put the Eye2's in the bag for a month or two and see what happens. Not sure about woods and driver but am going back to my Ping Zing putter.

On another note ...

The 80 I shot today was pretty good for me. I think my best round at this course is 74, and I felt like I was really playing well. Today could have been a couple strokes lower if my short game was on and if I spent a day or two dialing the irons back in. However, I played with another young man who was incredible. He was in his late 20's and has qualified for the US AM and Mid-Am and is heading up to Fort Collins on Monday to try again. He played the course all the way back, basically teeing up a few club lengths ahead of the farthest back tee box regardless of where the tees were. He shot an easy 67. Was never in much trouble and when he was he seemed to get out of it with no issues. Absolutely bombed the driver (probably a good 50 yards past me) and his short game (inside 100 yds) was spectacular.

I guess I'll keep my day job ...

drn92

One more try again today. I played at the same course where I shot 86 a couple weeks ago, but one box up from the tips. Course rating is 71.3/130, and I have a couple hundred rounds there in my life, so I am pretty familiar with the course. I completely revamped the clubs I took down with the exception of my 7 wood. In the bag were:

8 clubs total. I keep trying to put a different set in the bag, but I always come back to these Snake Eyes when my swing is struggling.

Ended up shooting 80 with 33 putts, which is a pretty decent round for me on that course. If my short game would have been a bit tighter I figure I would have shot about 77, but of course then my long game would have been off and the score might have stayed the same!!! I had a bunch of pars and bogies with one birdie thrown in.

1) Short game is key to scoring well. With fewer options and the need to make "non-stock" swings, being able to get up and down and/or 2 putt from anywhere is key.

2) Missing on the right side of the green takes a little pressure off your short game.

3) I am probably not good enough to need all 14 clubs, but I am going back to a full bag for the next several weeks to see if there is a noticeable change.

4) I am going to try a higher-end ball as well. I think I lost strokes on and around the green, and even though the Callaway Hex Soft from Costco is a good ball, it does not spin as well as the higher end balls on delicate pitches and chips.

5) It really does not matter what clubs are in my bag. Over the past 8 weeks, I've had 3 different drivers, 4 different fairway woods, 3 different putters, and 4 different sets of irons and wedges and my scores have all been in the same range. Sure, some feel bette3r than others but at the end of the day, after a bit of range time and a round or two, all of the clubs play basically the same.

6) However, consistency is very important so I plan to stick with the same set the rest of the year (if possible ... this is Golfwrx after all!!!).

I think I'll put the Eye2's in the bag for a month or two and see what happens. Not sure about woods and driver but am going back to my Ping Zing putter.

On another note ...

The 80 I shot today was pretty good for me. I think my best round at this course is 74, and I felt like I was really playing well. Today could have been a couple strokes lower if my short game was on and if I spent a day or two dialing the irons back in. However, I played with another young man who was incredible. He was in his late 20's and has qualified for the US AM and Mid-Am and is heading up to Fort Collins on Monday to try again. He played the course all the way back, basically teeing up a few club lengths ahead of the farthest back tee box regardless of where the tees were. He shot an easy 67. Was never in much trouble and when he was he seemed to get out of it with no issues. Absolutely bombed the driver (probably a good 50 yards past me) and his short game (inside 100 yds) was spectacular.

drn92

What course we're you playing? Was it in Denver?

On another note ...

drn92

What course we're you playing? Was it in Denver?

Check your PM's.

drn92

I haven't played a tourney or posted scores for a long time. Yesterday, I went out with D, 7,PW, and Bullseye putter, four clubs total. I've been having shoulder and arm pain for months now, but am somewhat better. As I mentioned above, I've been playing off the ladies' tees (alone) to lessen my desire to kill the ball.

The driver I used yesterday is an original Master Grip T Rex, gotten used for $10 at least a decade ago. Always hit the heck out of it since I got it, although only play it occasionally, (original GBB is my driver of choice). It originally had a graphite shaft on it, but last year, I installed a steel collapsible two piece travel shaft I had from an opposite hand 3W. I extended the 3W length to driver length, and it plays as well as the graphite original shaft. It really amazed me. I was really hitting the ball, getting distances of 220-240 off the tee, with a 255 max downhill on one hole. Counting the yardage gained by playing the ladies' tees, 20-30 yards more, on one hole 50 yards, I was seeing pro distance drives. Really, a unique perspective, making the game more enjoyable.

Anyhow, I played from the ladies' tee, and smoking those drives (for a 63 year old). It was great fun to hit mostly a PW onto the green, like the pros. I wasn't too accurate on a lot of those second shots, but managed to score a 39 for the front, and quit after 16 holes playing equally as well. This year has been the first year I've played the ladies' tees. One guy I know plays alone and has played the reds for years.

Try it, you'll like it.

PS: Ladies' tees make hickory golf more enjoyable, also.

Anyhow, I played from the ladies' tee, and smoking those drives (for a 63 year old). It was great fun to hit mostly a PW onto the green, like the pros. I wasn't too accurate on a lot of those second shots, but managed to score a 39 for the front, and quit after 16 holes playing equally as well. This year has been the first year I've played the ladies' tees. One guy I know plays alone and has played the reds for years.

Try it, you'll like it.

PS: Ladies' tees make hickory golf more enjoyable, also.

Couldn't agree more! I moved up a set of tees this year as that was what my regular playing partners were playing. So now, it has been white tees on short courses and gold tees on full length courses. I've not felt over matched distance wise at all since I've moved up. It also has allowed me to shed a few clubs from the bag and my play has improved as a result.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I switched back to minimal a couple of weeks ago.

My game has been slowly eroding the last couple of seasons especially during competition play and handicap has been rising steadily towards 13.

My thought process was to get some fun back into my game and reignite the feeling of playing when I was younger. The long and short of it has been some pleasing results, my course has a tough 18 and slightly more open but small greened 9 hole course. I parred the 9 hole course a week ago and then scored 41 points to win a local competition on the 18 (individual full stableford 70 players). Nice cut from 12.8 to 11.7!!

I have been carrying and playing the following 7 clubs in my Titleist Premium Sunday bag:

19* hybrid

ping eye 2 + beryllium (curia 1992) 5,7,9,PW

Titleist 56* vokey

Cleveland Classic putter

Pinnacle Rush ball

Dropping the driver has had a massive effect. I can hit the 19 hybrid 210-225 from tee or fairway and have had such a higher FIR which has led to more GIR-the game is much simpler from the short stuff.

The Pinnacle Rush ball has also had a massive affect and I would urge anyone to give it a try-forget your pre conceptions and try 1!

I just seem to have a more relaxed and calmer mindset when I remove all the whistles and bells ?

I am also playing the pinnacle rush and it is a great ball and you can't beat the price. Never thought I'd be playing 5 clubs and a pinnacle ball but you have to do what works.

150PSP System-Witb

Mazel Chipper PW

Bridgestone e6 Ball