Starting a new adventure . . . Minimalist Golf

student of the game

Guess I don't see the point in this "minimalist" setup. Is it to reduce weight? To speed up play? Just to say I shot sub 80 with 5 clubs ? Etc? I think this came is tough enough with 14. Lol Heck i would love to carry 16 If I was allowed. I'd also throw in a thriver type club for tee only shots and a 64* wedge

For me it comes out of necessity and the challenge. I work within the golf industry so I can only play at very odd times of the day and for me I know I can walk the course far quicker than carting it. I also have troubles playing 3/4 and 1/2 shots I am hoping this exercise will make that problem go away and help me prepare for my PAT's. Also from the few articles I have had the chance to read this should make practicing easier which is something I struggle with as well

I am very interested to see if this helps your game when you go back to 14 clubs.. I am also working towards my PAT, just don't think this strategy would help.

But I am following because who knows...

I don't get it.... Golf is hard enough as it is, why handcuff yourself?

Some of us do not feel handicapped with a set less than 14 clubs.

I mean, I get it, and you may not "feel" handicapped, but you are.... Maybe not every round* but you are

How so? I might suggest that you are only handicapped if you lack imagination and the ability to hit more than a single stock shot with each club that you carry. Playing with less than a full set will make you a better player by improving your course management to take better advantage of your limited arsenal and teaching you to hit more than one shot with each club you carry.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I honestly think I could score the same or better with 10 clubs.

One of these days I'm going to try it for real.

I typically shoot high 70's to high 80's. Shot 40 for 9 holes today. I really didn't give up anything. It probably helped as I had to think my way around the course a bit more versus just stepping up and swinging.

drn92

I don't get it.... Golf is hard enough as it is, why handcuff yourself?

Some of us do not feel handicapped with a set less than 14 clubs.

I mean, I get it, and you may not "feel" handicapped, but you are.... Maybe not every round* but you are

People for the most part also way over think shots, especially when they 'have to hit a hard XX iron vs. a smooth XX'. If you have the ability, its not hard at all to score basically around the same number. You have the ability, so likely have a good understanding of your yardages and course management to beast exploit those yardages.

It also brings shot making/thinking/adapting back to the game when you have to manipulate shots if you don't find yourself in a particular gap. Those shots become very rewarding and often highlights of a round when executed.

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

It is proven human makeup that bad things have more mental impact on us than good things. So when we play with a half set, we give more weight to the times we don't have the right club. The good things with a half set, that we don't notice as much, are that we play more conservative/ keep the ball in front of us/ don't make big mistakes, and by hitting the same few clubs, we hit them better.

In the past eight days I have played two 18's riding with a full bag, and three 9's walking with 6 or 7 clubs. All on the same course.

Scores: 88, 41, 40, 41, 88.

Small data set, but still. I don't seem to be handicapped by carrying half a bag. I find it a little surprising myself.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

I do find it a bit more difficult with a half set compared to 14, but I have so much fun playing with a half set I do it anyways! I play by myself a lot and when I do, I always carry a half set in a Sunday bag. When playing with close friends I go either way, but when playing with someone else or "preparing" for the club championships (the only tournament I play) and want to score the best I can, I push a cart with 14 clubs.

My half set is probably a bit weirder than most, cause I usually carry one wood, two irons, four wedges and a putter. :blush2: I just love the wedge game and all my wedges. Of course I could go with just one or two, but I like bringing them all.

Years ago at my Country Club, I showed up at the course ONLY to find that they had locked the bag room already and my battery operated cart was stuck in there. So, I just grabbed 5-6 clubs out of my bag, that was happily in my car, and I headed out with them in hand, NO bag JUST those clubs. I think I shot 1 over for the round & I was using the assistant pros putter! So, I've used this light bag routine for the last 20 years as a way to increase me feel with my clubs and game. Great way to force you to use different shots to get the job done.

As for that Sun MOuntain Bag, I have been looking at the 2Five bag very closely, 2.5lbs, got to love that! My Sun MOuntain ORbit has seen better days after over 20 years of service. Frame is broken, legs are broken, duct tape on it! LOL

I use Driver, 3 Hybrid, 7 iron, 9 iron, Sand Wedge, 64 Wedge and Putter for the ultra Light Bag

My take on how the "scoring is affected" by less than 14 clubs.

I play twice a month in senior touraments across the state. I have never bagged the same setup twice. Playing anything from 1920's hickorys, 50's persimmons and blades, to moderns, with seven to twelve clubs in the bag depending on the day.

Hole to hole scoring is much more dependent on A.) Tee ball. B.) 100 yards in, and C.) Putting, than my full approach shorts.

That said, iron play is the strength of my game, so I find little difference in scoring. One, or two higher a nine with the hickory due to tee shot difference.

I think you see the game with so much more freedom and feel when you allow yourself to push the envelope.

I started playing with a half bag, at first, out of convenience. I was keeping a half set in an ultra-light bag in my car for quick nines after work. I loved the mobility and the shift in mindset from "which club do I use?" to "which shot am I going to hit?"

I still play 14 clubs most of the time, but I recently played 3 of the 4 courses at Bandon with a half set and really enjoyed the light footprint, and shot scores that were pretty much what I average there.

One added bonus was that setup was much easier wrangle in heavy weather.

And there was a LOT of that on this trip...

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

I play 5 clubs full time and what I have found is I'm better with the clubs I do carry and it has eliminated big numbers on the card. I make fewer birdies but I make more pars.

150PSP System-Witb

Tour Edge Bazooka Platinum 20*

Cobra Baffler XL 6 Hybrid 

Mazel Chipper PW

Heavy Putter Light Weight Q2

Bridgestone e6 Ball

Scored a small Spalding bag today in good nick, plenty of room for 7 - 10 clubs and easy to carry. Plan to put in vintage:

2w 5w 6i 8i pw sw P

that should make me work for my supper

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

Cleveland Launcher #4 wood

Cobra King Hyper Steel #7 wood

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

Titlelst DCI Black O/S irons 7 8 9 W SW, Lovett chipper

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

5i 7i 9i SW P for a local 9 hole par 3 muni.

Room left over for a packed lunch and 6-pack

:) :) :)

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

Cleveland Launcher #4 wood

Cobra King Hyper Steel #7 wood

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

Titlelst DCI Black O/S irons 7 8 9 W SW, Lovett chipper

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Ok...so there might be something here.. I pulled my 4iron, 60*, 58* out today and shot a 77.

My short game was on point..no more over thinking my pitches and chips.. I hit my 4 because I am an idiot.. it never goes where I want it, and then kick myself to my next ball in a bunker or tree.

My short game was simplified.. and just focuses on my swing and strength.. not the need to think do I need loft or I should get this up higher. The simplifying of that part of my game caused me to focus on making a 56 or my 51 more versatile. The 60 won't be in my bag again and will be getting sold or stashed.

By taking out my 4 iron I revisited my hybrid and put my machismo on the side. Hybrids are the easy way out I always thought, and I could never hit them. Well revisiting my swing on the hybrid and changing the plane on the driving range, changed my mind.

So now I have d,3,hybrid. 5-pw, 51,56, putter

12 clubs:

This is the max that will be in my bag for practicing for the PAT..

I will be deleting 2 clubs each round to practice other shots. I am so competitive with myself that if the right distance club is in my bag I will hit it, even if I am practicing.

I haven't really been playing much golf this year, due to shoulder pain. I've been chipping and putting, though. Yesterday, after my chiro visit, I decided to try to play 9. I bagged a Taylor R11 3W, that I extended 2", Haig Ultra 6 and 9 irons, and my old bulls eye putter, in a Sunday bag, 4 clubs.

Shot a 41, sore shoulder and all. My 3W drives were going 185-195 yards. The last hole, a long par 3, I was 6 foot away from the pin, hitting the 3W, gripping down. (Missed the birdie putt, though.) Two old ladies (probably my age) were on an adjacent hole, obviously impressed, waved to me.

Play well!

My driver has been misbehaving lately so I replaced it with a 3W. It's the first time that club has been in the bag probably in a year or more. I needed a bit more distance off the tee than I had been getting from my 4W; the 3W plays at 43.5" vs. 42.5".

We were playing an executive length course and I found I only used 6 clubs out of my bag of 12: 3W, 7W, 6i, 52°, 58° and putter over the nine holes that we played. I didn't shoot a great score, but it wasn't from a lack of options as all the lost shots were around the green save one. Even the lone par 5 was reached in regulation and parred with back-to-back fairway woods, a pitch and then a two putt.

I've been doing a bit of mental arithmetic in terms of club usage and selection this season and I think that taking the above base 6 and then adding a 5 hybrid in place of my 4i, plus the 8i and PW, I would be good to go on any course that I play with any degree of regularity. That's nine clubs; not entirely minimal, but certainly efficient and light for walking rounds which I prefer to do anyway.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Gave it a whirl again today. Played the same course with the same set up in my bag. Shot a 39 with 18 putts. I didn't putt very well, and I only stuck one shot in tight, but overall I maybe missed the full set on two or three swings. Would that have meant two or three shots on my score ... I am not sure.

One thing that is really nice is how easy it is to walk and carry. I work out (run, bike, lift, yoga, etc.) but have a tough time carrying a full bag for any length of time. With just 8 clubs it is a breeze. My pushcart is nice, but carrying makes it a little easier to navigate the course.

Drn92

The other day I played 9 holes at the toughest course that is available locally. I have always played this course with a ten club set and it usually beats me up. The best I had ever shot there is a 46. Well I decided to give it a go with just five clubs. Shot a 44 and that was with a double on 9. Moral of the story is for me at least fewer clubs equals lower scores.

150PSP System-Witb

Mazel Chipper PW

Bridgestone e6 Ball

When I was a kid, there were these three old ladies who used to go out as I was usually finishing up around 11:00AM -- one had a little quiver bag with three clubs: a wood and two irons; and her two buddies carried one club each in their hands, one was a putter. One Brit I played with commented, "Well, you know what they say, don't carry what you can't use." They hit the ball pretty straight and were always ready to hit -- it didn't matter much what they hit off the fairway, the shots went 80-100 yards. They teed off with the wood and hit irons until they got near the green.

Maltby STw2 10* Tensei Orange Stiff 46.75"
TourSwing Octane 10.5*  TourSwing Vengeance  44.5"
Tour Edge Exotics E8 16.5* 4 wood
Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 19* 3 hybrid 
Bridgestone Access VP-02, 6-AW
Inazone EZ-PZ CNC wedge 52* & 60*
LogicalOne Putter

I think the walking is doing me a lot of good. I am settling in on a 6 or 7 club bag depending on my mood, fairway conditions, and choice of tees. I have taken to playing from the 5600 yard tees on my walks. This really makes the driver unnecessary for me. Half the time, a driver would be troublesome from those tees. I'm not a long guy, more like a typical golfer that should play 6000-6300.

No driver:

3 hybrid, 5, 7, 9, 54º, putter (6 clubs)

If a driver is needed, I can add it to that above. I would say a good versatile 3 hybrid or utility wood is really key to minimalist golf. And, one good wedge.

One time I putted with a 5 iron. It was bad at first, but I got better. And, I sure learned how to chip better, since every putt was a chip. I should try that again.

I love my little sunday bag. It weighs less than 2 lbs. With 6 clubs, 4 balls, and a bottle of water, total weight is less than 10 lbs. With that little load, it is just a walk around the course, not a "carry". Walk straight through the greens etc. Walk, hit the ball, repeat until done. I'm loving it.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

If I played on the pga tour I would try to be the first in the modern era to bag a half set. I know pros used to play fewer clubs but I never see it at the pro level. I think these young guns of today could virtually score the same with a half bag and it would make for some artistic golf.

150PSP System-Witb

Mazel Chipper PW

Bridgestone e6 Ball