2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Scotland 2015- Is May a good Month

mac19

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='mac19' timestamp='1387729930' post='8335305']
Planning our first trip to Scotland in 2015, May seems to work good for everyone, how is the weather generally in late May! I know in Scotland prepare for the worst and hope the best, just want to hear experiences from those who have been there in May! Thank you kindly!
[/quote]

Typically April/May can be the driest months of the year here, but as posted above the weather is very variable. July and August are warmer but can be very wet.

Where are you planning on playing?

Pete

May is a great time to visit the UK. Weather shouldn't be any worse than any other time during the nicer months. There is plenty of daylight. The kids are still in school, so the seaside towns won't be jammers they way they can be once they're out.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Tsk, tsk... surely Royal Aberdeen in place of Trump International if you are going up to Cruden Bay :)

Kidding-ish. Going in June this year myself, but would rather Royal Aberdeen, Prestwick, Western Gailes, Gullane #1 or one of any number of old courses than the new one. You'll see holes on those you won't see anywhere else! Kingsbarns already gives you one new links. Of course I'm going to end up playing Gleneagles Centenrary just because the guys want to play a Ryder Cup track, ugh, so who am I to say anything, haha.

Anyways just food for thought. You'll have a fantastic time regardless :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[quote name='mac19' timestamp='1388591344' post='8378719']
Playing, Royal Troon, Turnberry, Trump International, Cruden Bay, Old Course, Kingsbarn, Carnoustie, Muirfield and North Berwick
[/quote]

Without having played all of them I can say

Troon - great course
Turnberry - as above with great scenery
Trump - those i have spoken to who have played it loved it
Cruden bay - a proper old fashioned links
Old course - all the history and the added pressure of normally teeing off and putting out at the 18th infront of many spectators
Kingsbarns - along with Carnoustie, my favourite course. It's a modern links, the setup is perfect and the scenic coastline matches that
Carnoustie - maybe the best bunkered course in the world, arguably the toughest last 4 holes in the world (or maybe just the toughest course full stop). Play this on a windy day for maximum effect!
Muirfield - said to be a fantastic layout,
North Berwick - a great links without the history of the others

Sounds like you have a pretty amazing trip lined up, enjoy.

I've gone in April and May. Very little rain, lots of wind, temps mostly in the low to mid 50s on both trips except one day when we took the ferry from Ayershire to N Ireland and hit mid 40s with driving rain and 30 mph winds at Royal Portrush. We're going to SW Ireland this July for 8 days and I'm somewhat concerned about crowds because it's the height of tourist season. The only upside is that our trip coincides with the Open Championship so I'm hoping a lot of the American golf trippers will be over in England.

As to the courses I'd suggest Aberdeen over Trump... Are you doing lunch at Muirfield with afternoon alternate shots? If you can include that it is worth the extra $$.

[quote name='mac19' timestamp='1388591344' post='8378719']
Playing, Royal Troon, Turnberry, Trump International, Cruden Bay, Old Course, Kingsbarn, Carnoustie, Muirfield and North Berwick
[/quote]
I went in July 2011 for an entire month…the first 3 weeks of the trip I need my 'winter/thermal' gear! so as others have stated, you can get 4 season's in one day (or in one week)
IMHO...
Carnoustie - Toughest course I've ever played! It's straight forward, but it's a brute.
Troon - back nine is a KILLER!
Turnberry - Absolutely gorgeous! make sure you get some pics at 8-10 along the lighthouse!
Kingsbarn - very nice, however, as soon as you hit an iron shot, you immediately feel that it's not like the other historical ones (soft/lush conditions) the greens are soft and you can back up wedges.
North Berwick - very different from modern architecture! Enjoy it, not may courses like it!
Old course - no words needed :)
Enjoy the trip!

10.5* Ping G430 Max, MCA Diamana BF 60g 

18* 5W Stealth 2+ Ti, MCA Kail'li red 70g

21* 7W Ping G430 Max, Oban Revenge 85g
22* & 26* HY Ping G430, MCA 80g Kai'li white

6-GW Mizuno JPX 923 HM, PX LZ 
54*S & 58*T Ping Glide 4.0, DG 120 
L.A.B. DF3, Accra X, Press Pistol 2 OR Ping Anser 2 Milled OR Mizuno M-Craft VI (Lamkin Deep Etch) 

Pro V1 or Z Star. GP TV 360 std. Titleist Players glove

Ping Hoofer Lite OR Ping Pioneer with Clicgear 3.5+

I was in Scotland for 10 days last May. (East Lothian, Fife and Perthshire) We had two days in the 70*'s F, which is unseasonably warm), 2 days that didn't reach 40*F ( I played Gleneagles-Kings in a howling wind with sleet blowing in my face where it was 39*F for the first ten holes. Not fun) and six days where it ranged from the high 40's at day break F to mid 60's F at mid-day (which is pretty typical.) Be prepared for everything. Dress in layers and have room in your bag to store them as you peel them off and put them back on during a round. Have a warm base layer, waterproof shoes, pants and jacket. Waterproof gloves and warm waterproof hat were a godsend at Gleneagles. A wool vest also came in handy. When the weather gets bad, don't worry about score, just "soak in" the experience and try to enjoy it.

I've played all of your choices apart from Trump, (wouldn't give it house room), so definitely substitute for Royal Aberdeen, which is as good as anywhere imo.

I live in Prestwick, so I know the West Coast pretty well. Royal Troon is great, but as somebody else said, the back 9 is er...tough!!

I would definitely try and fit Prestwick in, as the venue for the very first Open Championship, its pretty awesome if you like it traditional.

Everyone goes wild over Turnberry, but every time I've played there, the Course condition leaves an awful lot to be desired, its a resort Course after all, and just there for Holiday Golfers and the condition can suffer due to the amount of rounds played on it. But its a long way to come not to play it, so I can see why many would still want to play it. But if you live there, as I do, there are better, for less than half the price in the area.

All the rest are great, soft spot for North Berwick myself, and prefer the history of some of them over say Kingsbarns, but like Turnberry, its a resort Course, but a damn good one.

Muirfield is the 'fairest', because most tee shots are right there in front of you.

To sum up, I would definitely substitute Trump for Royal Aberdeen, and try and fit in Prestwick if you can.

Apart from that, you will have a great time! Enjoy!!

[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1388756485' post='8389997']
I've played all of your choices apart from Trump, (wouldn't give it house room), so definitely substitute for Royal Aberdeen, which is as good as anywhere imo.

I live in Prestwick, so I know the West Coast pretty well. Royal Troon is great, but as somebody else said, the back 9 is er...tough!!

I would definitely try and fit Prestwick in, as the venue for the very first Open Championship, its pretty awesome if you like it traditional.

Everyone goes wild over Turnberry, but every time I've played there, the Course condition leaves an awful lot to be desired, its a resort Course after all, and just there for Holiday Golfers and the condition can suffer due to the amount of rounds played on it. But its a long way to come not to play it, so I can see why many would still want to play it. But if you live there, as I do, there are better, for less than half the price in the area.

All the rest are great, soft spot for North Berwick myself, and prefer the history of some of them over say Kingsbarns, but like Turnberry, its a resort Course, but a damn good one.

Muirfield is the 'fairest', because most tee shots are right there in front of you.

To sum up, I would definitely substitute Trump for Royal Aberdeen, and try and fit in Prestwick if you can.

Apart from that, you will have a great time! Enjoy!!
[/quote]

How come everybody is saying knock trump off the list? it looks fantastic, is it because the turf hasnt matured yet? have not heard any bad reviews from people who have actually played it?yet to play it myself though

granted Royal Aberdeen is fantastic, will definitely return there at some point

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

Planning our first trip to Scotland in 2015, May seems to work good for everyone, how is the weather generally in late May! I know in Scotland prepare for the worst and hope the best, just want to hear experiences from those who have been there in May! Thank you kindly!
[/quote]

last couple of years the weather has been very cold(IMO) until mid may, cold spring means low rough growth which is a good/bad thing depending on your opinion

Generally once its warmed up abit, the UK summers are very tollerable, best place in the world to play in the good weather, still enjoyable when its windy, or overcast or even raining, because its warm enough. When its cold, I hate living here lol

played Carnoustie a few years ago in march and it was 24*c no wind, was incredible....wonderfull course obviously

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

[quote name='mizunostaffer' timestamp='1388828781' post='8395859']
[/quote]

last couple of years the weather has been very cold(IMO) until mid may, cold spring means low rough growth which is a good/bad thing depending on your opinion

Generally once its warmed up abit, the UK summers are very tollerable, best place in the world to play in the good weather, still enjoyable when its windy, or overcast or even raining, because its warm enough. When its cold, I hate living here lol

played Carnoustie a few years ago in march and it was 24*c no wind, was incredible....wonderfull course obviously
[/quote]

That will have been the march heat wave we had. Mid twenties then snowing the next week?!

I played in Ireland and Scotland in late May in 2010. It was funny because in Dublin it was 75* and the warmest weather they'd seen in years. When we got to Edinburgh and St. Andrews the weather had changed considerably. It was still in the 50's and low 60's and not too bad. The days I played the Old Course and Jubilee there was wind, then rain, then sun, then calm, and then it started all over again. Pretty typical for Scotland I was told so you just have to dress accordingly and be prepared for anything. .

PING G Kuro Kage HBP 60
Callaway XR16 3 & 5W Tensei CK Blue 70
PING G25 23 Hybrid GD Tour AD 85g Hyb
Callaway Apex CF16 5-GW Recoil 780ES
Callaway MD3 54 & 58 Recoil 110
TaylorMade Spider Tour Red / SS Flatso 1.0
Bridgestone Tour B330

[quote name='scottishpedro' timestamp='1388841043' post='8396103']
[/quote]

[/quote]

That will have been the march heat wave we had. Mid twenties then snowing the next week?!
[/quote]

thats the one, 2012. wacky year because it then proceeded to rain nearly every day from may 2012 until may 2013

whats better troon or turnberry? going to try one of them this summer....

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

[quote name='mizunostaffer' timestamp='1388850822' post='8396671']
[quote name='scottishpedro' timestamp='1388841043' post='8396103']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

thats the one, 2012. wacky year because it then proceeded to rain nearly every day from may 2012 until may 2013

whats better troon or turnberry? going to try one of them this summer....
[/quote]

Both great, Turnberry probably shades it or me but is obviously a bit further down the coast

[quote name='mac19' timestamp='1388858703' post='8397243']
I have been told to play Trump, because it has natural dunes, very similar to Ireland! People told me that there is no other golf in Scotland like Trump so that is why we are choosing to play there!! I am sure Royal Aberdeen is awesome, but that will have to wait with Prestwick for the next trip!!!
[/quote]

Last thing Trump has is natural Dunes I'm afraid. Hundreds of thousands of tons of 'natural' Dunes were destroyed, and moved around to create the look of it being natural, afraid the word natural and Trump Course are mutually exclusive I'm afraid. Over 100 years ago, the designers worked with what they had and could only move a relatively small amount due to cost and technology (they could only use horse power), so they were happy to work around the existing Dune systems. Nowadays, the technology and money is there to move hundred of thousands of tons of sand, even if the natural flora and fauna is wrecked in the process, and will take decades to recover. It's a shame when the guys 150 years ago could do it without destroying the natural Dune systems and SSI's.

It's your choice though, but if you want natural and traditional, Trump would be bottom of the list for me personally. Either way, I'm sure you will enjoy wherever you play. Good luck with the locals in Aberdeenshire. Haha.

Hey guys! I'm planning to go in May of 2015 to Scotland! What's the best and cheapest way to set up my trip? Also how many golfers should I have go with me to be the most cost efficient?? Any help is appreciated!!!

Driver: Callaway AI Smoke TD 8 degree w/ Ventus TR 6X
Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Tour 14.5 w/Tensei CK White 70TX

Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue 11 18 degree X flex, Adams Idea Pro 23 X flex
Irons: New Level 623 CB w/Tour Issue DG X100 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zip Core 52, 58 KBS 610 S+ 
Putter: Makefield
Ball: 2024 Chrome Tour X

^Wait for someone in Mac19's group to drop out last minute and join them. You'll save loads of hassle that way ;)

F.T.

I personally prefer September to May for UK golf trips. Although June is mighty nice with the endless daylight.

There have been a couple years lately that I went over in September and just happened to notice the weather over there in May and think "Man, am I glad my trips still four months away". Seems that climate change is rendering May much more iffy but the wonderful early Fall weather seems to still be pretty good odds.

[quote]...how many golfers should I have go with me to be the most cost efficient[/quote]

The cost of making a golf trip to UK scales almost linearly with the number of golfers once you are past two. Airfare cost is per person and airfare is 20-30% of the cost of the trip typically. Green fees are also per person and that can be 10-20% of the cost right there. Lodging is only cheaper if you're willing to double up in fairly small accommodations, which isn't my thing but it can cut the cost (not in half but cut is somewhat) by going two per room. Lodging is usually about 10% of the cost of the trip.

Ground transportation is the only significant savings. If you want to hire a van+driver then four or more golfers make it somewhat more cost effective. Once you get past six or so there's not much additional savings to be had (plus logistics of 6-8 guys sharing one vehicle can cause friction). Cost of ground transportation can vary from maybe 10-20% to as much as 40% of the cost of the trip depending on how much traveling you do and by what method.

I'd recommend traveling with how many ever people make the trip more enjoyable and let the cost work itself out. If you want to save money on ground transport, just go to one area and stay there rather than shuttling around hundreds of miles between rounds. And if there is only one other person you really, really want to travel with then split a rental car and your per-person cost will be within a few hundred bucks of any potentially cheaper option for a larger group. If that.