2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

G20 vs g25 irons

tagman79

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Demoed both twice and went with the G20 to save some $. I couldn't really tell enough difference in performance in the two heads to spend the extra money. For me the fitting was all about the CFS vs the ZZ65 shaft. If I were buying now, then I'd probably go with the G25 since there seem to be more used sets available at a reasonable price. Just make sure you get the correct shaft.

Taylormade SLDR Driver
Sonartec ss 03 3 wood
Sonartec ss 07 5 wood
Srixon z545 4 Iron
Srixon z745 5-P
Vokey 48 degree
Cleveland CG 15 54 degree
Callaway Jaws 60 degree
Odyssey 7 Tank

I had both at one time. Went with the G20s. I couldn't hit the 25s very well even with the same shafts. Maybe because I'm a higher handicap. I just don't know. Love my 20s. Not changing irons for next year.

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]10.5* PING G30 Tour 65S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]15* TM RBZ Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]18.5* TM RBZ Tour Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]21.5* Bio Cell Hybrid[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]5-AW Srixon z545 C-Taper Lite S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]PING Glide 54*SS, 58*TS[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]Taylormade DLL+ 36"[/color][/size][/font]

I guess I should say that I currently play the 20s. I never was really fit in person but did go through the ping website fitting. I'm just wondering if the difference performance wise would be worth going and getting fit at a ping fitter. I took a look at the 25s today and they look awesome (what new clubs don't really?), soles definitely thinner which I like but from address I can't tell much of a difference at all.

Never owned the 20s but thought hard about getting them. Played the G15s for awhile though and just got my G25s today. Performance wise, I would say there isn't a lot of difference. G25s will be more playable from different lies as the sole is considerably narrower though. G20s had the fatest soles of them all. For $150 more for the G25s and you like the looks and they give you confidence then it's worth it if you are buying new. Since you already have the 20s though, the switch would cost more as your current irons are used.

You have to like what you are looking at to have confidence though.

[color=#000080]I was a club fitter for the majority of the year and when faced with this dilemna, I usually pointed people towards the G20. It saved you a ton of money, I felt like the G20 was slightly more forgiving, and there just wasn't much of an improvement to justify the extra cash. Howecer, I do understand liking to be current with your sticks. So if you have extra cash, then go for it. [/color]

To me the fitting was worth the time. The price was $40 and refundable if I bought a new set of clubs which I did so there was no cost.

Taylormade SLDR Driver
Sonartec ss 03 3 wood
Sonartec ss 07 5 wood
Srixon z545 4 Iron
Srixon z745 5-P
Vokey 48 degree
Cleveland CG 15 54 degree
Callaway Jaws 60 degree
Odyssey 7 Tank

I loved the look of the 25's but wasn't sure they were worth the upgrade from my 15's. My swing has changed a lot since getting the 15's, so I told myself I'd go through a fitting again and if my specs were much different I'd sell my clubs and "upgrade". Well, the specs were different enough, plus I liked the CFS shafts better than my AWT (even though the AWT were longer in the longer irons for me) that I wasn't too upset forking over the cash for the set I knew in my heart I wanted.

I've had both and prefer the 25s but was a little disappointed that the finish wears off. By some weird ho'ing magic I now play G10s but will probably go back to G25s or AP1s. To answer your question yes I would sell G20s to get G25s. I did it and was happy I did.

Ping G25 9.5 - Diamana D+
Ping G20 3h - Tour TFC
Ping Rapture J 3-PW w/ Rombax 115i
Ping G25 SW - CFS X
Ping G25 LW - CFS X
Odyssey Black Series #9

Both good clubs bother very very forgiving. The20's soles are too wide for the way I play. The 25's turf interaction works best for my game.

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

If you already have the g20's, then I would say that you shouldn't upgrade. But if you really like the looks of the g25, which many people do, then buy it as a personal christmas gift. I think that it is worth the upgrade because of the looks, with a thinner topline and sole, but still being very forgiving, the feel, which is phenomenal, and the quality of the irons. I would get one if i could, but I am too attached to the ben hogan apex irons I have in my bag right now.

I have both sets, the G20's in CFS steel R flex and the G25's inTFC graphite R flex. I played the G20's for the first half of the year and the G25's for the last half of the year so I got a nice comparison of the two. For distance, I have to say that I hit the G20's longer and sometimes by a wide margin. That may be due to the shaft differences more than the heads, but the G20's are longer for me. Both sets are extremely forgiving and accurate, but I found I hit more greens in the last half of the season when I was using the G25's. Some of that may be as the year progressed my swing got more consistent so by default the G25's appeared more accurate, but the stats don't lie about which ones gave me more GIRs. I didn't have an issue with either set with regards to looks or turf interaction so I can't say the wider sole or thicker top line of the G20's bothered me like it does others. I'm torn as to what i'm going to do next year with regards to which set I will use. I can't deny that my best rounds came when using the G25's, but the G20's just go so much further.

To answer your question (even though I did buy the G25's), if I had the G20's I don't think I would spend the money unless you can find a steal of a deal like I did. That was the only reason I got them. I found a guy selling a used set so cheap I couldn't pass it up. If I would have had to pay full price, I wouldn't have done it.

I have the G20s (DG S300) for the last 2 seasons and have had 2 of the best ball striking seasons ever.

I've tried the G25s indoors at least a half dozen times and they always felt "numb" to me. Couldn't tell where on the face I hit them and even dead center hits had no feeling. I can always tell where I hit my G20s.

But maybe that's just me - there's a LOT of love for the G25s,,,,,,,,

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

I've played both quite extensively and can't tell much difference. Wide G20 sole is no issue, and I'm a digger playing a course with a lot of tight lies.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I had G20s and sold them to get G25s, but it was mainly a need to go from steel to graphite for elbow wear & tear. That said, I find the two sets to play almost identically.
I like the looks of the G25s better and prefer the narrower soles for green-side shots, but I hit the G20 4I and 5I slightly better. Small differences really.

Bought a set of used G20's this summer, but switched the 25's in the fall because they offered a more "clean and tidy" look at appearance. The 20's were uber forgiving, but I really liked the finish and appearance of the 25's better. Performance wise, I really can't tell much difference.

Really, the main reason I even looked into the 25's was the seller of my 20's failed to disclose some of the dings and flaws on the clubs and since Im kinda OCD about my clubs, they really bothered me. Plus, I got a good deal on the 25's

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2+

There is very little difference from G10 thru G25

Seems like they went little smaller on the G25 but other then that.. 100% interchangeable

Driver - TaylorMade M2 2017 - 9.5°
Fairway - TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood - 14.5°
Hybrid - TaylorMade RBZ 5 wood - 19°
Irons - PING i15 - 4 - PW / UW
Wedges - Taylormade MG2 54° / Hi Toe 58°
Putter - Cameron Newport 2 custom

[quote name='KjBowenWRX' timestamp='1388079027' post='8350415']
There is very little difference from G10 thru G25

Seems like they went little smaller on the G25 but other then that.. 100% interchangeable
[/quote]

Not smaller length wise, just thinner top line and sole on the short irons. G10 XG are the value leader. They even have the darker finish many people love.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Heck, I'm still playing G2s. I've owned G10s and G15s but for some reason just can't get away from the G2s. The feel to me is just better and as my swing has progressed I've grown to like the thinner soles. I even switched out my 4&5 HL for regulars. I have really been thinking about upgrading to the G20s or G25s but I'm afraid it'll be the same as the other two times I tried to upgrade and end up with old faithful G2s back in the bag.

Driver - 10.5* TM M2
Wood - 15* TM M@
Hybrids - Ping G25
Irons - Ping Rapture V2s 5-UW
Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM8 54*
Putter - Odyssey EXO Rossie
Ball - Bridgestone e6

For some, G20 looks more like shovel while G25 looks more like other GI iron. I used to game G20 until my handicp dropped and upgraded to i20.

Ping G425 10.5 / Ping G410
Callaway UW 17*
Ping G410 4H
Cobra F7 EL 4i
Ping i200 6-UW / i500 5-PW Power Spec / i210 5-PW
Ping Glide 4.0 54/58
SC Phantom x 9.5 

[quote name='SHORTBUTSTR8' timestamp='1388181316' post='8356209']
Just got my first 9 in on my new G25s today. Wow they are easy to hit. Short irons are very playable too. Can't go wrong either way!
[/quote]

I was also quite surprised at the playability of the wedges. I'm still able to lay open my LW from greenside rough and chip from tight lies off the fairway. I may be conceding some spin with these wedges vs a vokey-style wedge, but that's never been a priority for me.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2+

[quote name='MattMo' timestamp='1388196402' post='8357279']
[quote name='SHORTBUTSTR8' timestamp='1388181316' post='8356209']
Just got my first 9 in on my new G25s today. Wow they are easy to hit. Short irons are very playable too. Can't go wrong either way!
[/quote]

I was also quite surprised at the playability of the wedges. I'm still able to lay open my LW from greenside rough and chip from tight lies off the fairway. I may be conceding some spin with these wedges vs a vokey-style wedge, but that's never been a priority for me.
[/quote]

I'm not exactly sold on the wedges yet, but the 8-PW are awesome. Need more practice with the other wedges. I am used to forged bladed wedges.

[quote name='payne7744' timestamp='1388183980' post='8356367']
I was fit for my G 20s a year ago. How about six months ago I went to ping in Phoenix for a fitting on the G 25. They told me to save my money, there was no difference seen at their facility. (8hcp)
[/quote]

I am a 9 handicap and have had both g20 and g25's. G25's fitted by PING rep at my club, g20's off the rack. Last Monday I took both sets to Pheonix and had the experts at PING validate and verify the set up. I was told that i had better overall results in every statistic with the G20's. I left PING, sold the G25's.

I'm now dailed in to know that any issues I have are swing related as the clubs have been validated as the best performers for my game. I was told that the static fitting is a start ( told me upright -blue dot), the lie board told me 2 flat - orange...... My 20's are black standard and gave me the best ball flight and dispersion.... So you have to see ball flight and performance to know for sure.

Having some of my best ball striking days ever since the verification.

[quote name='spwelch' timestamp='1388347380' post='8363627']
[quote name='payne7744' timestamp='1388183980' post='8356367']
I was fit for my G 20s a year ago. How about six months ago I went to ping in Phoenix for a fitting on the G 25. They told me to save my money, there was no difference seen at their facility. (8hcp)
[/quote]

I am a 9 handicap and have had both g20 and g25's. [b]G25's fitted by PING rep at my club[/b], g20's off the rack. Last Monday I took both sets to Pheonix and had the experts at PING validate and verify the set up. [b]I was told that i had better overall results in every statistic with the G20's[/b]. I left PING, sold the G25's.

I'm now dailed in to know that any issues I have are swing related as the clubs have been validated as the best performers for my game. I was told that the static fitting is a start ( told me upright -blue dot), the lie board told me 2 flat - orange...... [b]My 20's are black standard and gave me the best ball flight and dispersion[/b].... So you have to see ball flight and performance to know for sure.

Having some of my best ball striking days ever since the verification.
[/quote]

Hmmmm,,,,,,,, I'm a little confused (NOT an unusual occurrence BTW :D[size=4] [/size][size=4])[/size]

Understood that static measurement is just a guide. Just to be clear, the G25s fitted for you by a PING rep were 2 degs flat ? And that was determined by a lie board, correct ? (Sounds like maybe it lied ? :lol:[size=4] [/size][size=4])[/size]

[size=4]Did PING (in AZ) tell you the G20s, standard, FIT you properly ?[/size][size=4] [/size]

[size=4]You said you were told you "[/size]had better overall results in every statistic with the G20's[size=4]" and they gave you "[/size]the best ball flight and dispersion[size=4]". Or do those 2 statements simply mean they agreed that "standard" lie angle were your "fit" ?[/size]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

I sold my G20s' last year and replaced then with G25 4-U, CFS Stiff and lovin' em. The 20's are nice but the soles were a bit large for me. No regrets; I did start hitting more greens with the 20s' but I prefer the thinner sole of the G25. Personal preference...both great sets.

Ping G400 Max, Ping Tour 65R
Ping G425 5W w/Alta S

Ping i200 5-U w/SteelFiber fc90R

Ping Glide 3 54/12 & 58/6
Odyssey O-Works 330M Black