2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Is it worth it?

For those of you who have a golf course membership, whether it's private or public, do you think it's worth it? I play pretty frequently and just graduated college so I'm highly considering getting a membership at the home course (private) of my college golf team. Rates are pretty low because they're doing a "junior membership" special. I'm just seeking input from people who have memberships on whether it is worth it or not, or from those who decided not to get a membership and their reasoning. Thanks in advance!!!

Driver: Callaway AI Smoke TD 8 degree w/ Ventus TR 6X
Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Tour 14.5 w/Tensei CK White 70TX

Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue 11 18 degree X flex, Adams Idea Pro 23 X flex
Irons: New Level 623 CB w/Tour Issue DG X100 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zip Core 52, 58 KBS 610 S+ 
Putter: Makefield
Ball: 2024 Chrome Tour X

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to me, if you can afford the junior membership, you will benefit from it. I assume you're a pretty good golfer, since you were on the college team. Your skills will come in handy at events and outings at the club. You will make valuable contacts without even trying, just by playing golf.

Older guys will want you as their playing partners. Early pro Harry Vardon (a former gardener) got started in golf when his employer (a rich land baron) paired up with Harry to win local matches.

By the way, if you play a lot of golf, it pays to have a membership, even without the social perks. Muni's and public courses are the pits, except for off times.

[quote name='Wriggles' timestamp='1388234251' post='8358485']
Seems to me, if you can afford the junior membership, you will benefit from it. I assume you're a pretty good golfer, since you were on the college team. Your skills will come in handy at events and outings at the club. You will make valuable contacts without even trying, just by playing golf.

Older guys will want you as their playing partners. Early pro Harry Vardon (a former gardener) got started in golf when his employer (a rich land baron) paired up with Harry to win local matches.

By the way, if you play a lot of golf, it pays to have a membership, even without the social perks. Muni's and public courses are the pits, except for off times.
[/quote]

+1

I agree with everything wriggles said especially you get to meet a lot of great people. Another perk of joining a CC is pace of play. I just joined this past year and I actually improved my game by playing a harder course and playing with better players all the time. Some things you might want to consider is if you like to play other courses it might not be a fit or if none of your regulars can afford to play there regularly it might not be as fun but I love meeting new people. I didn't know anyone at my club this year and I would go out as a single and just get hooked up with anyone and meet people. I would still bring the guys out that I usually played with but meeting new people is good for contacts in the business field especially since you just graduated college.

TM SLDR 9.5 Matrix 6Q3
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 3W, 3 Hybrid
TM Rocketballz Stage 1 4 Hybrid
Speedblade 5-AW-KBS 90
Rossa CGB Fontana
Titleist Vokey SM5 54 & 60

[/quote]

Wow. Thank you! That makes a lot of sense for sure. I actually met a guy at the course while I was helping with our alumni tournament who may be getting me a job (or at least an interview) in the next few weeks. You're absolutely right about meeting people. Thank you for your answer. That's exactly what I was looking for!

[quote name='lov2golf4' timestamp='1388236008' post='8358537']

[/quote]

+1

I agree with everything wriggles said especially you get to meet a lot of great people. Another perk of joining a CC is pace of play. I just joined this past year and I actually improved my game by playing a harder course and playing with better players all the time. Some things you might want to consider is if you like to play other courses it might not be a fit or if none of your regulars can afford to play there regularly it might not be as fun but I love meeting new people. I didn't know anyone at my club this year and I would go out as a single and just get hooked up with anyone and meet people. I would still bring the guys out that I usually played with but meeting new people is good for contacts in the business field especially since you just graduated college.
[/quote]

Thanks for the response! My major was Business Management, so networking with new people may be essential. Plus it's a rich community that the country club is in so that may help me too :D pace of play is huge for me as well and another factor I didn't really consider until you mentioned it. There's hardly anyone out there ever, so I would have the course to myself a lot. Thanks a lot for your response! Valid points for sure.

I guess it depends on what level of course membership you're going for. I know a few guys who are members at private clubs, and they say to me all the time that "you'll never justify the cost per round average when joining a club, you just have to find value in the other things the club offers".

If you're more worried about getting your cost per round average down, do what I did and join a semi-private course. Yeah, there are some downsides to it versus fully private, but if you're looking for the best value that's where you'll find it. If money isn't as much of a factor, and you can find value in the social offerings of a club, the private route is the way to go.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

I play way too much to not get a membership, 3-4 times a week. Our course normally opens April 1st, and as far as price per round I usually break even by early June so I would probably pay 2.5 times in greens fees per year without a membership.

I do have a minor dilemma that I've debated over for years. There is a private course about 600 yards from my front door and the yearly dues is only $1000 more than my current public home course that is located about 5 miles away. Although the wife probably wouldn't be ecstatic, the price difference isn't the main issue. It's more about the private course's practice facilities, or basically lack there of. The private course is a classic layout from the 1920's and is a good challenge but they have no driving range or practice bunkers and a small practice green.
My public home course has a driving range, practice bunker, and large practice green. Both courses have hosted both College and regional junior events over the past 5 years and although the private course has a higher slope rating my home course has consistently produced higher winning scores than the private course in tournament play. All in all the two courses are for the most part equal in difficulty and course condition.
Obviously my home course gets more play, but luckily for me I have very flexible work hours and can easily get out there and play/practice 2-3 times on weekdays when it is wide open.

Basically the only advantage to joining the private club is a 1 minute drive to the course instead of a 10 minute drive and I can brag to everyone that I'm a member of a private club, I guess. Considering that I would lose my practice facilities to be at the course 9 minutes faster is hardly worth $1000 a year!
Another thing you can't put a price on is how well the family that owns and operates my public home course treats it's members. They do more for the membership than any other facility I've belonged to. They have two "fun event" scramble tournaments every spring and fall that are completely free to the members that include full meals, drinks and prizes, all on the house! They even created a special membership category for my son and I when he started playing with me full time that was cheaper than buying one single adult and one junior, or a family membership. This season will be my 9th year there which is by far the longest I've ever stayed at one course.

Every year I debate whether to make the switch to the private course and it always turns out to be a no brainer to stay where I'm at. Either way if you play a lot, a membership is the way to go.

I was a member at a private club last year. It was great because I could golf as much as I wanted when I wanted. Another great thing is I was a junior member (under 28). Now that I am over 28 the rates go up almost $800. To some of you that may not be much, but for me it is a deal breaker. Another reason I won't rejoin is the restaurant changed managers and the new menu is horrible. If there wasn't a food minimum it wouldn't be bad, but I am going to give away money for food I don't like. The other reason I will not rejoin is that I now have a 4 month old. I just don't see myself getting to golf enough to justify the cost next year.

[quote name='Parker0065' timestamp='1388254814' post='8359523']
I play way too much to not get a membership, 3-4 times a week. Our course normally opens April 1st, and as far as price per round I usually break even by early June so I would probably pay 2.5 times in greens fees per year without a membership.

I do have a minor dilemma that I've debated over for years. There is a private course about 600 yards from my front door and the yearly dues is only $1000 more than my current public home course that is located about 5 miles away. Although the wife probably wouldn't be ecstatic, the price difference isn't the main issue. It's more about the private course's practice facilities, or basically lack there of. The private course is a classic layout from the 1920's and is a good challenge but they have no driving range or practice bunkers and a small practice green.
My public home course has a driving range, practice bunker, and large practice green. Both courses have hosted both College and regional junior events over the past 5 years and although the private course has a higher slope rating my home course has consistently produced higher winning scores than the private course in tournament play. All in all the two courses are for the most part equal in difficulty and course condition.
Obviously my home course gets more play, but luckily for me I have very flexible work hours and can easily get out there and play/practice 2-3 times on weekdays when it is wide open.

Basically the only advantage to joining the private club is a 1 minute drive to the course instead of a 10 minute drive and I can brag to everyone that I'm a member of a private club, I guess. Considering that I would lose my practice facilities to be at the course 9 minutes faster is hardly worth $1000 a year!
Another thing you can't put a price on is how well the family that owns and operates my public home course treats it's members. They do more for the membership than any other facility I've belonged to. They have two "fun event" scramble tournaments every spring and fall that are completely free to the members that include full meals, drinks and prizes, all on the house! They even created a special membership category for my son and I when he started playing with me full time that was cheaper than buying one single adult and one junior, or a family membership. This season will be my 9th year there which is by far the longest I've ever stayed at one course.

Every year I debate whether to make the switch to the private course and it always turns out to be a no brainer to stay where I'm at. Either way if you play a lot, a membership is the way to go.
[/quote]

Thanks for the input!!! I would say stick with the public course. I'm glad you brought up the practice facility. The private course I'm considering doesn't have a big range (can only hit irons) and it's off of a mat, but the greens and course condition are pretty much the best within a 30 minute drive. On the other hand, there's a semi private club about 30 minutes away that has a nice practice facility and is cheaper, but it's 30 minutes compared to 10 and I know nobody there vs knowing all the members at the private course because it was my home course throughout my college golf career. It's a tough decision. I guess I'll just have to weigh the pros and cons and make a decision off that. Luckily I can join at any time at either course so there's no rush!

[quote name='doubleBZee' timestamp='1388255217' post='8359543']
I was a member at a private club last year. It was great because I could golf as much as I wanted when I wanted. Another great thing is I was a junior member (under 28). Now that I am over 28 the rates go up almost $800. To some of you that may not be much, but for me it is a deal breaker. Another reason I won't rejoin is the restaurant changed managers and the new menu is horrible. If there wasn't a food minimum it wouldn't be bad, but I am going to give away money for food I don't like. The other reason I will not rejoin is that I now have a 4 month old. I just don't see myself getting to golf enough to justify the cost next year.
[/quote]

That's understandable! Are you joining a public course or are you just gonna pay green fees as you go?

[/quote]

That's understandable! Are you joining a public course or are you just gonna pay green fees as you go?

[quote name='bryanwmilburn' timestamp='1388256558' post='8359657']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm just got to eat the daily fee and pay as I go. Most courses around me are $20-30 to walk so it isn't horrible. I was also thinking of getting the teetime golf pass and find some new places.

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1388257180' post='8359695']
We have unlimited greens fees and a top notch practice facility (huge grass grange; two large practice greens; a bunker complex; a pitching range; a long with a short course). Definitely worth it for me.
[/quote]

Uhh where do you live? Can I come? Lol

[quote name='bryanwmilburn' timestamp='1388258280' post='8359777']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1388257180' post='8359695']
We have unlimited greens fees and a top notch practice facility (huge grass range; two large practice greens; a bunker complex; a pitching range; along with a short course). Definitely worth it for me.
[/quote]

Uhh where do you live? Can I come? Lol
[/quote]

Ha! Sure, come on down, or up. :-)

I balanced this out for a long time, looking to see what membership to buy, and which option would be the best fit. For the amount of golf I hope to play and practice I had a pretty good idea that I would lower costs by joining a club.
Things I had to also consider:
If I joined a club, I would feel like I had to play that course only..or primarily. Any outside round would be an added expense
Most included range in the cost but would distance to the course cut into my ability to practice as often?
Who would I play with at each club? Would my regular golf group want to join or pay to play there?
It basically came down to was the savings be enough to make up for the other potential problems that came up.

[quote name='Roody' timestamp='1388242502' post='8358771']
I guess it depends on what level of course membership you're going for. I know a few guys who are members at private clubs, and they say to me all the time that "you'll never justify the cost per round average when joining a club, [b]you just have to find value in the other things the club offers".[/b]

If you're more worried about getting your cost per round average down, do what I did and join a semi-private course. Yeah, there are some downsides to it versus fully private, but if you're looking for the best value that's where you'll find it. If money isn't as much of a factor, and you can find value in the social offerings of a club, the private route is the way to go.
[/quote]

This^^^
And if the value of those "other things" is absolutely nothing, then it makes the decision very easy.

Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping i25 5-PW AW SW LW irons
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag
Bridgestone Tour B330-RX ball