2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Traveling to Orlando

glane

We are traveling to Orlando from London and are looking to playing most days for the 9 we are there.

Courses so far booked include Isleworth,OCN x 2, grande cypress NEW, champions gate and falcons fire.

Have we missed a gem or is there somewhere we should travel to.

Handicaps 9 and 11 so we are able to get the ball around.

Let me know and thanks, can't wait for some sun.

Gary Lane

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isleworth? Need a 3rd, 4th, valet? Ha!

Seriously, you could get opinions all day on where to play here, but those are all good bets this time of year. So. Dunes is a honey. So is Orange Lake Legends. Any of the "attraction area" courses are going to be in top condition, overseeded head to toe and plush.

Best of luck with the sun, and enjoy!

Taylormade OG Stealth 10.5º (Ventus Red R)

Taylormade 17' M1 HL3 17º (Kuro Kage 70 S)

Titleist 910H 21º and 24º (Stock Diamana Kai'li R)

Srixon 745 5-PW (TT DG Lite S300)

Titleist Vokey SM4 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.09S

Titleist SC PP Del Mar 3.5 or Odyssey WH #7 (when I need training wheels)

Royal M Taper 360's

+1 on Southern Dunes.

Also, a trip to Orlando wouldn't be complete without a visit to Arnold's place, Bay Hill. It's not fantastic, but it's worth a trip just for the chance of running into Arnold. :-)

I'd also suggest the Nicklaus course at Reunion Resort.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1388506792' post='8373915']
+1 on Southern Dunes.

Also, a trip to Orlando wouldn't be complete without a visit to Arnold's place, Bay Hill. It's not fantastic, but it's worth a trip just for the chance of running into Arnold. :-)

I'd also suggest the Nicklaus course at Reunion Resort.
[/quote]

+1 on Southern Dunes. Also, i would take a pass on Shingle Creek which gets press because it has a televised event. Southern Dunes is the hidden gem you were looking for...and if you are coming all the way from england a 25 minute drive shouldn't be too much of a journey!

[quote name='glane' timestamp='1388490239' post='8372897']
We are traveling to Orlando from London and are looking to playing most days for the 9 we are there.

Courses so far booked include Isleworth,OCN x 2, grande cypress NEW, champions gate and falcons fire.

Have we missed a gem or is there somewhere we should travel to.

Handicaps 9 and 11 so we are able to get the ball around.

Let me know and thanks, can't wait for some sun.

Gary Lane
[/quote]

You are coming at a good time of year for conditions but starting mid January it gets very busy. You arent going to be flying around any course except Isleworth. BTW it was redesigned by the person that designed Souther Dunes.

Some good advice here on courses and SD is unique for the area and typically in very good shape as will be most of the top tier courses at this time of year.

[quote name='Itsjustagame' timestamp='1388494225' post='8373013']
A bit of a drive but consider Southern Dunes in Haines City.
[/quote]

+1 I'm playing there January 23rd while in Orlando for the PGA show

You mentioned Champions gate....beautifully maintained course, but no character.

Taylormade M4 8.5 Oban Kiyoshi White
Taylormade Aeroburner 15* Diamana S+ 72
Taylormade SLDR 17* Hybrid S+ 82
Taylormade P770 4-PW KBS Ctaper Lite
Taylormade Milled Grind 51* 55* 60*
Taylormade Spider Ghost

Disney Magnolia, Shingle Creek (Tipsy is talking about The Ritz, not Shingle), Grande Pines, Nicklaus Course at Reunion, if you can get off Isleworth try Lake Nona, Orange Tree.

I personally think Southern Dunes is mediocre at best. Championsgate is also pretty much trash in my opinion. No character, questionable design and not exactly good conditions.

Streamsong is another option if you're willing to drive an hour or so.

[quote name='glane' timestamp='1388562259' post='8378003']
Thanks guys some great advice, will look at Southern Dunes, also just added Lake Nona to our list so looking good.
G
[/quote]

I didn't even think about Nona but since you had access to Isle worth it shouldn't be hard to get some strings pulled. Its worth the effort.

I agree about Champions Gate. Wasn't impressed. I liked the International Course more, but it was extremely difficult (played from the tips). The National course was more reasonable, but not in very good shape.

I like Southern Dunes a lot.

If you can make the trip, I recommend Mission Inn - El Campeon. Great, old school course and a lot of fun. Only about 30 minutes from downtown Orlando.

You may also like:

Grande Pines (right next to Sea World)
Metrowest
Shingle Creek
Harmony Golf Preserve
Stonegate
Rio Pinar (recently renovated)
Stoneybrook East
North Shore
Victoria Hills

RH

There are so many incredible tracks around Central Florida it is amazing.

Noone mentioned World Woods - the Pine Barrens course is absolutely incredible.

Celebration is under new management, was in wonderful condition a couple of weeks ago, and is nice and close to everything.

Royal St. Cloud is really a hidden jewel - 27 holes in a links-style course. Well manicured and the restaurant there has delish food.

The Faldo designed course Bella Collina in Clermont is completely different than anything else around - a lot of hills, beautiful condition, and views like no other course in the flatlands that are Florida. It would be about a 45 minute drive from the attractions area.

A nice day trip might also include heading to the West Coast of Florida - Innisbrook, Diamondback, and PGA Resort Tampa await. This would be 1.5 hours away from the attractions depending on traffic - perhaps a little less.

Last, but not least, there are some smaller hidden jewels that are in decent condition and are really affordable. Ridgewood Lakes off of Highway 27 just west of the Disney attractions area, Sanctuary Ridge in Clermont, and The Legends are all worth consideration.

Hope this helps. I am fortunate indeed living here year round; I play year round in two golf leagues and during the summer it is so cheap you would not believe it. So I don't mind telling my fellow golf lovers about the hidden jewels out there that await the savvy visitor willing to drive a bit to find and play them.

Safe travels and cheers!

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1388707766' post='8387771']
There are so many incredible tracks around Central Florida it is amazing.

Noone mentioned World Woods - the Pine Barrens course is absolutely incredible.

[/quote]

World Woods is indeed a real gem, and a real bargain. The Pine Barrens course is so unlike a typical Florida course. However, it's a bit of a trek from Orlando. 'Definitely a must play if you're in the Tampa area, or if you don't mind the 90 minute drive from Orlando.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I too am from the UK (Yorkshire). We had a 10 day break in March 2013, and played Bella Collina, Championsgate, OCN, Orange Lake Legends, Southern Dunes, Mystic Dunes and Royal St Clouds.

Southern Dunes is a truly fantastic course, but try and play in the morning - we had two rounds booked for the day, teed off at 8.30am and got round the course in 3hrs 20 mins. We then had lunch and went out for the afternoon round at 2.10, and were told by the starter that the group in front of us had teed off over half an hour before, so to expect another swift round. After 3 holes, we had caught them up, and it then took 1 and a half hours to play the next three holes !!! Consequently we complained to the marshall who tried to speed things up, but the fact of the matter was that they have too many people squeezed into too few tee times, and have no regard for the fact that some of these folk appeared to have never swung a club in their lives !! We walked off the course and made an official complaint, which was a real shame because the course is terrific.

Bella Collina (what a club house !) and OCN are the two others to go for, and Orange Lake Legends and Mystic Dunes are very convenient for Disney / Orlando, and are very much worth a visit.

This March we are staying at Reunion and will be playing all three courses there, plus, El Campeon, Shingle Creek, and a couple of others, so keep the recommendations coming in guys.

Mr. Fab,

Since you will be staying in the Reunion Resort you will be close to Providence, a nice public track off of the so-called beaten path. It is in fairly nice shape, is close to where you will be staying, is rarely crowded, and is affordable.

Check out Celebration also - another close drive for you.

Check GolfNow to see if Lake Wales Country Club is allowing public play. It is AMAZING - built back in the early 20th century. Lots of history and the layout is unlike most in Florida. I played four rounds there over the summer and was really impressed.

Mystic Dunes is a nice layout. Can get a bit crowded so be sure to get there early.

If you are playing on a weekend (I work during the week) and you are looking for/need a fourth (or even a pair) I would love to meet you at one of the courses.

In any case enjoy the "holiday" as our friends from across the pond call it and please let us/me know which courses you played.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Best public is Orange County. I've played Panther but heard cat is awesome too. Great range!!!! You will not be disappointed. Grand pines and old Disney osprey is also nice tracks.

Ping Hoofer bag
Ping I20 10.5 Driver with Projext X Black 6.0 shaft
Callaway Mini 1.5 14* Speeder Stiff
Ping G5 5 wood with Pro Launch Blue stiff shaft
Adams V4 3 Hybrid
Irons: Callaway Apex CF16 5-S - DG PRO stiff
58 Callaway Mack Daddy 3
Scotty Cameron California Monterey putter 34"
Pro V1x

[quote name='Tom S' timestamp='1388806115' post='8394783']
Best public is Orange County. I've played Panther but heard cat is awesome too. Great range!!!! You will not be disappointed. Grand pines and old Disney osprey is also nice tracks.
[/quote]

Crooked Cat is much easier than Panther Lake. I think Crooked Cat is a very good course, although for the money I think Panther Lake is a much better deal (since they cost the same).

RH

[quote name='nakaguy' timestamp='1389132768' post='8417893']
My buddies and I will be in Orlando for the PGA Show. I have not considered playing OCN because of the negative reviews about OCN posted in this forum last fall. What are the conditions like at OCN now? I have played Panther in the past and really enjoyed it. Should we put it back in the rotation for this trip?

KJ
[/quote]

I played Panther Lake on Christmas Eve and it was in great condition. I have seen it in better condition, but it is really nit picking. My dad and friends of his played there in October and said it was in great shape. So I would personally not be bothered by those reviews.

RH

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1388797348' post='8393861']
Mr. Fab,

Since you will be staying in the Reunion Resort you will be close to Providence, a nice public track off of the so-called beaten path. It is in fairly nice shape, is close to where you will be staying, is rarely crowded, and is affordable.

Check GolfNow to see if Lake Wales Country Club is allowing public play. It is AMAZING - built back in the early 20th century. Lots of history and the layout is unlike most in Florida. I played four rounds there over the summer and was really impressed.

Mystic Dunes is a nice layout. Can get a bit crowded so be sure to get there early.

If you are playing on a weekend (I work during the week) and you are looking for/need a fourth (or even a pair) I would love to meet you at one of the courses.

In any case enjoy the "holiday" as our friends from across the pond call it and please let us/me know which courses you played.
[/quote]

Now then Medic : we have been in touch with Lake Wales, (one of your recommendations) and seemingly can get on there. We were thinking of trying to fix up a tee time for 10.00-12.00 on Saturday 15th March. How do you and a friend fancy joining up with us (my fiend and I) for a friendly UK vs USA game, if we are indeed able to confirm a tee time ? Just let me know buddy.

[quote name='Mr Fabulous' timestamp='1388771572' post='8391359']
I too am from the UK (Yorkshire). We had a 10 day break in March 2013, and played Bella Collina, Championsgate, OCN, Orange Lake Legends, Southern Dunes, Mystic Dunes and Royal St Clouds.

Southern Dunes is a truly fantastic course, but try and play in the morning - we had two rounds booked for the day, teed off at 8.30am and got round the course in 3hrs 20 mins. We then had lunch and went out for the afternoon round at 2.10, and were told by the starter that the group in front of us had teed off over half an hour before, so to expect another swift round. After 3 holes, we had caught them up, and it then took 1 and a half hours to play the next three holes !!! Consequently we complained to the marshall who tried to speed things up, but the fact of the matter was that they have too many people squeezed into too few tee times, and have no regard for the fact that some of these folk appeared to have never swung a club in their lives !! We walked off the course and made an official complaint, which was a real shame because the course is terrific.

Bella Collina (what a club house !) and OCN are the two others to go for, and Orange Lake Legends and Mystic Dunes are very convenient for Disney / Orlando, and are very much worth a visit.

This March we are staying at Reunion and will be playing all three courses there, plus, El Campeon, Shingle Creek, and a couple of others, so keep the recommendations coming in guys.
[/quote]

If you know someone who knows someone try to get on Mountain Lake in Lake Wales. Classic design and great conditions and very private.

[quote name='Mr Fabulous' timestamp='1390293712' post='8499827']
[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1388797348' post='8393861']
Mr. Fab,

[/quote]

Now then Medic : we have been in touch with Lake Wales, (one of your recommendations) and seemingly can get on there. We were thinking of trying to fix up a tee time for 10.00-12.00 on Saturday 15th March. How do you and a friend fancy joining up with us (my fiend and I) for a friendly UK vs USA game, if we are indeed able to confirm a tee time ? Just let me know buddy.
[/quote]

You are in for such a treat. I will be playing in a tourney there in my league on March 8 and am really looking forward to it. If you let me know the tee time for the 15th I will look forward to meeting you there.

Have a safe journey! Hope to see you in March.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

I read in this string a recommendation for Osprey Ridge. Be warned - it is no longer a course in the "Disney family" of courses. It has been taken over by Four Seasons and my understanding is that unless you are staying there you won't be able to play it.

Sadly the last time I played the entire quiet nature of the course had already been ruined. Construction was taking place around much of the course and there was the inevitable noise that comes along with it. And most sad was when one of the cart attendants used profanity towards my partner and I when we simply asked if we could get a couple of more of their tees. (they had tees in each cart and we wanted to get a couple of extra) He dropped the f-bomb incredibly - "Sure take some more of the &*&*$$% tees - they are free afterall." We went into the proshop and told the pro inside what had occurred and he sincerely apologized and said he would "handle it".

Overall definitely NOT a Disney experience for us. I have played all of the Disney courses for years and this was NOT how they go about doing things. Just be aware that at the time the course was in flux and there was a lot of changes happening everywhere. It might have settled down now but there are WAY too many courses around the area and I would not go to Osprey again unless I hear things have normalized.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1390701923' post='8533221']
I read in this string a recommendation for Osprey Ridge. Be warned - it is no longer a course in the "Disney family" of courses. It has been taken over by Four Seasons and my understanding is that unless you are staying there you won't be able to play it.

Sadly the last time I played the entire quiet nature of the course had already been ruined. Construction was taking place around much of the course and there was the inevitable noise that comes along with it. And most sad was when one of the cart attendants used profanity towards my partner and I when we simply asked if we could get a couple of more of their tees. (they had tees in each cart and we wanted to get a couple of extra) He dropped the f-bomb incredibly - "Sure take some more of the &*&*$$% tees - they are free afterall." We went into the proshop and told the pro inside what had occurred and he sincerely apologized and said he would "handle it".

Overall definitely NOT a Disney experience for us. I have played all of the Disney courses for years and this was NOT how they go about doing things. Just be aware that at the time the course was in flux and there was a lot of changes happening everywhere. It might have settled down now but there are WAY too many courses around the area and I would not go to Osprey again unless I hear things have normalized.
[/quote]

It was a sad day when they bulldozed Eagle Pines, I loved Osprey and EP when they were Disney courses. Amazingly peaceful and tranquil lots of wildlife, NOT NOW, Disney what were you thinking?? OK I know the answer to that a Four Seasons rakes in more $$ than a golf course

Heading down to Streamsong in mid-February to play 3 rounds, and then up to Orlando to play Shingle Creek, Harmony Golf Preserve, and Grand Cypress New. Thanks for the tips!

'Hope the weather cooperates. :-)

streamsong-red-hole-18-1800x801.jpg