2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Trip to Maui

glk23

I am going to be on Maui for 5 days at the end of February with my wife and 8 yr old daughter. I'm only going to get to play one round and have to chose wisely. Everyone will probably say the plantation course but I'm not sure $300+ is going to be possible. Going to be in Kaapalua where there are two resort courses. Would love some first hand suggestions from anyone who has been recently. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've gone the last two summers and plan on going back this year again. I've only played the Plantation course, but I've seen the other three or so in west Maui. I can't see going there and not playing the Plantation course. The other courses would probably be fine, but why settle for fine if you are already ditching your wife and kid for 5 hours. Start saving now and sell something on BST if you have to. The Plantation course is worth it. It's the most fun course I've ever played.

Callaway Epic Sub Zero with Rogue Max
Cobra F6 Baffler
Ping g30 19*, 22*, 26* hybrids
Cobra Forged Tec 6i-GW
Ping Glide WS 54* and 60*
Evnroll ER7

I suggest you look in the Hawaii sub-forum for some recent posts. I'm reading you are on a budget What is your budget?
You can play for less than $100 at Kahili Pukalani or Elleiar . I came back two weeks ago and played all several times. Pukalani was in the best shape.

If you want a better chance of better weather and less wind, you want to drive down to Kihei/Wailea and in the am. The Wailea courses are expensive too, but you may be able to get a bit of a deal on EZ links or Golf Now or through the Maui Golf Shop. Old Blue is fine, not as good as the Emerald or Gold.

And for a reasonable round, Elleair is ok, can get windy in afternoon. Have lunch at Kono's there after.

PM me with phone number if you would like some more details.

Aloha.

I've been to Maui many times, and have played there a ton. I would do one of two things....pay up for The Plantation course. Or, drive a few miles down the coast and play the Royal Course on Kaanapali Beach. Would be a ten minute drive. I wouldn't drive to the other end of the island to Wailea (30-45 min each way). The views and layouts of the Royal course on Kaanapali and Plantation are both phenomenal.

PING G430 10k 9* Project X HZRDUS Hulk
PING G425 14.5* Tensei Orange 
PING G425 17* Tensei Orange
Titleist TSR Hybrids HZRDUS Silver 
PING i210 Irons Project X LZ
Edel Wedges S400 / TaylorMade MyMG4 Wedges S400
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Robert Mark Headcovers
Jordan Golf Shoes
PING Hoofer

[quote name='Gunner22' timestamp='1388634683' post='8382633']
I've been to Maui many times, and have played there a ton. I would do one of two things....pay up for The Plantation course. Or, drive a few miles down the coast and play the Royal Course on Kaanapali Beach. Would be a ten minute drive. I wouldn't drive to the other end of the island to Wailea (30-45 min each way). The views and layouts of the Royal course on Kaanapali and Plantation are both phenomenal.
[/quote]

Another good option for you but not cheap either. Don't consider the Kai course, not close to worth it and a crowded resort course.

I don't however get the don't drive half an hour plus comments that I've also seen on other posts on Maui, other than in your case it makes a longer day away from your family. It is not a big island and I'm sure many of us drive half an hour or more each way when home to play different courses.

And personally, if you plan on going back, I much prefer staying in Wailea or Kihei, especially if you have a family. At least check it out, if not for golf.

[quote name='myspinonit' timestamp='1388635290' post='8382689']
[/quote]

Another good option for you but not cheap either. Don't consider the Kai course, not close to worth it and a crowded resort course.

I don't however get the don't drive half an hour plus comments that I've also seen on other posts on Maui, other than in your case it makes a longer day away from your family. It is not a big island and I'm sure many of us drive half an hour or more each way when home to play different courses.

And personally, if you plan on going back, I much prefer staying in Wailea or Kihei, especially if you have a family. At least check it out, if not for golf.
[/quote]

I figured less time away from the kids and wife may not work with one round to be allowed. And to me, it's definitely a little quieter in Wailea and not as much to do. That's just me though. I typically stay at the Hyatt Resort on Kaanapali.

Robert Mark Headcovers
Jordan Golf Shoes
PING Hoofer

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1388632814' post='8382441']
Play the Plantation in the afternoon. There are other good courses on the island, but they really don't compare to the Plantation.

If your staying at Kapalua I think the cost is $230 for resort guests and that's the prime rate.
[/quote]

Might be the best bet. Morning time with the family. Tee time in the pm.

Robert Mark Headcovers
Jordan Golf Shoes
PING Hoofer

[quote name='Gunner22' timestamp='1388635498' post='8382707']
[quote name='myspinonit' timestamp='1388635290' post='8382689']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I figured less time away from the kids and wife may not work with one round to be allowed. And to me, it's definitely a little quieter in Wailea and not as much to do. That's just me though. I typically stay at the Hyatt Resort on Kaanapali.
[/quote]

Hear ya, Gunner on this post and the next. Different strokes etc. and the whole idea of these forums is to provide ideas and options. Cheers.

Going to be staying in Kaanapali and have also thought about the Royal course. Did see some of the less expensive options in Kehei but not sure if I want to drive there. This trip was a gift so don't see going back on any kind of regular basis. Trying to figure out how much I will kick myself if I don't play the plantation course. Will be renting a set of clubs and found a few places with deals on tee times also. Look forward to any more information. Thanks to those who have replied so far.

I spent 2 golfing-weeks on Maui in November and played all the courses. If you want to play only one course, then play KAPALUA PLANTATION COURSE. Absolutely no doubt that this is the “best” course on Maui and probably one of the best courses around the world.

Sure, $270 is a price – but Maui is expensive and the delta to other course is not as big as it might seem.

Ka’anapali offers the Kai (the shorter of the two) and the Royal course. Both are nice but in no way comparable to the Plantation course. Dunes at Maui Lani is great, too, but not at the level of Kapalua. Wailea / Makena are cool too, but again: The Plantation course plays in its own league.

What I did: my wife didn’t want to play the Plantation (too long, too expensive), so she joined me as a rider ($35, I guess) and she never regret it because the scenic is absolutely outstanding and she took pictures during the whole round.

I played very early in the morning (6:40 am) and the whole atmosphere with the sunrise etc. was fantastic. You could also obt for Mid-Day (11 A.M - 1 P.M: $200) or Twilight (180$).

So, I highly and definitely recommend the[b] [size=5]Plantation course[/size][/b], no doubt – you would regret not having played it, for sure!

[quote name='myspinonit' timestamp='1388663249' post='8383571']
OK. You guys are convincing me that I need to spend the coin on the Plantation once on our trip this Fall. Shame. :taunt:

But like the poster above, I'd likely only get my spouse to go as a rider for the same reasons. She's always up for lunch there though.
[/quote]

And as a return get up at 4:00 AM the next day and drive her up to Haleakala crater for the sunrise (on the way back you cross the Maui Golf Shop in Kahuliu which might be your return on her return...)

[quote name='backtees' timestamp='1388665205' post='8383613']
OK. You guys are convincing me that I need to spend the coin on the Plantation once on our trip this Fall. Shame. :taunt:

But like the poster above, I'd likely only get my spouse to go as a rider for the same reasons. She's always up for lunch there though.
[/quote]

And as a return get up at 4:00 AM the next day and drive her up to Haleakala crater for the sunrise (on the way back you cross the Maui Golf Shop in Kahuliu which might be your return on her return...)
[/quote]

Yeah the crater at sunrise is still on the bucket list, have done it later in the day. (Anyone reading this...bring a windproof jacket and possibly a light sweater even later in the day...it can get cold up there in the wind at that height.) For me that would be an opportunity for breakfast and an early round after the summit at Pukalani, which is close by. Then maybe lunch at the General Store. A full and great day by early afternoon.

We'll be there for a month this fall and my spouse and I (and our friends) will be looking for more bargain rates for more rounds. But I've got it in my head now to plan the Plantation this year, once. Almost did this year's trip.

I was staying on Oahu and had one day for one round. Decided to take a flight to Maui to Kapalua airport ($180 round trip), $20 cab ride each way to Kapalua Plantation, and $270 for the round plus $150 for pro shop items (shirt, pinflag, etc). Worth every penny and worth all that energy for a day trip.

[sign here]

Go to Lanai...

Read my reviews in the other Maui threads...I've played Plantation more than a dozen times, I skip it now everyttime for golf and lunch on Lanai.

SLDR 430 TP 9* Matrix Ozik 7m3 X
SLDR TP/RBZ Tour P 15* & 19* 7m3 X
TaylorMade MB 3-9 KBS CTaper X
Titleist Vokey SM4 48-54-60 KBS blk/grn
Adidas-Coach-Versace
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5

i had same dilemma in Kauai. wasn't sure paying the extra money for princeville would be worth it. I paid the money and don't regret it one bit.

doesn't matter if the other courses are cheaper and 'good', you'll always wonder what Kapalua was like. Save a little money and fix dinner in one night but by all means play the best course. I know i could've saved 100 bucks and played a lesser course, but I'd still be wondering what Princeville was like.

having said that, its not a course that i would pay that amount to play again, but for a one time experience its worth it.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

[quote name='SkyyDesigns' timestamp='1388688657' post='8385723']
Go to Lanai...

Read my reviews in the other Maui threads...I've played Plantation more than a dozen times, I skip it now everyttime for golf and lunch on Lanai.
[/quote]

I decided to skip Lanai this time because one of the courses is down for repairs. This coupled with my FIL not being able to play(shoulder surgery), and missing an entire day away from the fiance, her mom and dad, it just wasn't doable. However, I did add The Bay course instead, so I think it's a decent compromise.

Any tips on reading the greens/grain?

Titleist TSR3 8° Tensei Pro Orange 1K 60TX
Taylormade SIM Ti 5W 19° Tensei Pro White 70 TX
Taylormade SIM Tour Issue 19° 5W Diamana BF 80 TX
Mizuno JPX 921 Tours w/ Mitsubishi MMT TX125
Taylormade MG3 50.9/56.12 (TW)/60.11 (TW) w/ Mitsubishi MMT S125

Scotty Cameron Craftsman Squareback Proto 33.5"

Looks like it would be real tough for me to be there and not play the plantation course.

I will be looking to get on as a single and wonder how far in advance should I try and get a tee time? I would like to pick the best of the days I will be there and wonder waiting until right before I leave or even after I get there is doable?

Is first thing in the morning the only possibility for catching the least amount of wind?

[quote name='glk23' timestamp='1388728134' post='8389317']
Looks like it would be real tough for me to be there and not play the plantation course.

I will be looking to get on as a single and wonder how far in advance should I try and get a tee time? I would like to pick the best of the days I will be there and wonder waiting until right before I leave or even after I get there is doable?

Is first thing in the morning the only possibility for catching the least amount of wind?
[/quote]

I generally don't book a tee time until I get there and I have never had an issue. Now that I say that, they will probably be booked.... You should make one before you leave and then just change it.

Regarding the wind, it's abnormal for there not to be wind on that side of the island in the afternoon. You really never know with the weather.

[/quote]

You can certainly book the day of. I booked mine a week in advance but they had plenty of tee times at that point. When I showed up on my day of play I arrived to a nearly empty course.

And they say the wind is calmer in the morning than the afternoon. I teed off at 9:50 and the wind was about as strong as I've seen back on the east coast, and by the time I made the turn I was playing in wind I wouldn't have even attempted to play in back home. Note however that the morning I played I teed off under cloudy skies and I could barely see the ocean. By the 5th hole the clouds had burned off just in time to enjoy the emerald blue waters and views of Molokai that the course is known for. The timing was perfect, as that's the point on the course where you get those views all the way through 18.

[sign here]

[quote name='italianstallion' timestamp='1388731521' post='8389457']

[/quote]

You can certainly book the day of. I booked mine a week in advance but they had plenty of tee times at that point. When I showed up on my day of play I arrived to a nearly empty course.

And they say the wind is calmer in the morning than the afternoon. I teed off at 9:50 and the wind was about as strong as I've seen back on the east coast, and by the time I made the turn I was playing in wind I wouldn't have even attempted to play in back home. Note however that the morning I played I teed off under cloudy skies and I could barely see the ocean. By the 5th hole the clouds had burned off just in time to enjoy the emerald blue waters and views of Molokai that the course is known for. The timing was perfect, as that's the point on the course where you get those views all the way through 18.
[/quote]

Absolutely - the day prior is by far sufficient, mainly if you are single and not a group. But i'd advise you to check in advance if there isn't a company event or so. When i was there Mercedes booked a lot of tee-times for their sales-guys......

During my first round at the Plantation course (06:40 am) we were a twosome - so plenty of time to enjoy the scenic and play even best-ball every now and then...

[quote name='myspinonit' timestamp='1388673191' post='8384129']
[quote name='backtees' timestamp='1388665205' post='8383613']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah the crater at sunrise is still on the bucket list, have done it later in the day. (Anyone reading this...bring a windproof jacket and possibly a light sweater even later in the day...it can get cold up there in the wind at that height.) For me that would be an opportunity for breakfast and an early round after the summit at Pukalani, which is close by. Then maybe lunch at the General Store. A full and great day by early afternoon.

We'll be there for a month this fall and my spouse and I (and our friends) will be looking for more bargain rates for more rounds. But I've got it in my head now to plan the Plantation this year, once. Almost did this year's trip.
[/quote]

[size=4]My 2 favorite things to do on Maui.[/size]
[size=4]Play the Plantation course and see sunrise at Mt. [color=#282828][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]Haleakala [/background][/color][/size]
[color=#282828][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]Both are worth every bit of effort it takes to get it done[/background][/color]

I go to Maui 2X per year to train for cycling but try to squeeze a few rounds in as well...

In my 20 or so visits over 2-3 week periods the trend is generally lighter winds in the AM, but increase mid morning and will pick up and become gusty around noon... generally expect winds in the 30kmh gusts to 50+kmh at times.. generally trade winds from the NE to ENE direction... Kona winds from the south occur as well, but are far less frequent... and not as gusty

If there is going to be a rain shower.. expect it in the Kapalua area in the AM.. the West Maui mountains always have some kind of cloud over them and rain in the middle.. the odd sprinkle generally always makes it ways down the slopes.. not a pounding rain just a light misty drizzle... quite refreshing after 90 miles on the bike to be honest...

Wailea/Kihei area.. they call it sunny Kihei for a reason.. it can be pounding rain on the north shore of Maui and its 84 and sunny in Kihei!!

In any event, you are going to paying for golf in Maui... I did the Plantation course 2 years ago and was the first off at twilite hours and I think it was $160 with the cart, and easily finished and this was December when the sun was setting around 530PM.. by Feb it should be closer to 6:00 or later... If you are torn between golfing Kaanapali or Kapalua hands down to Kapalua... the Wailea Gold is also nice.. bit if you're in Maui and its only one round... :) The Pukalani course on the lower slopes of Haleakala is also nice as well.. nice layout, good elevation changes, very cheap...

Also check this site [url="http://www.mauigolfshop.com/"]http://www.mauigolfshop.com/[/url] sometimes there are discounts at the courses...

I played Kaainipali and I didn't really like it. Played the plantation in the afternoon for a reasonable rate.....really great course and fun to watch the Hyundai and recall the shots I hit when I played it. I eagled the first par 5! I would say to go for the plantation course and play in the afternoon. I love Maui and CANNOT WAIT to get back there. My wife and I went on our honey moon and it was simply and amazing experience. We also went to Kauai...which was nice, but I liked Maui better.

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

I played a few courses on Maui in 2006 and the Plantation was by far the best. Back then I think I paid $275. We were staying in a condo in Lahaina and I remember walking through town and seeing these booths on the streets selling tours and excursions and stuff. I also remember them selling tee times for the Plantation course for a lot less than I paid. Now, I don't know if it was a scam or not -- I already had a tee time -- but I'd love to know if these places were legit.

PING G Kuro Kage HBP 60
Callaway XR16 3 & 5W Tensei CK Blue 70
PING G25 23 Hybrid GD Tour AD 85g Hyb
Callaway Apex CF16 5-GW Recoil 780ES
Callaway MD3 54 & 58 Recoil 110
TaylorMade Spider Tour Red / SS Flatso 1.0
Bridgestone Tour B330