2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Trip to Maui

glk23

[quote name='Backspin9' timestamp='1388849235' post='8396583']
... I remember walking through town and seeing these booths on the streets selling tours and excursions and stuff. I also remember them selling tee times for the Plantation course for a lot less than I paid. Now, I don't know if it was a scam or not -- I already had a tee time -- but I'd love to know if these places were legit.
[/quote]

Legit, as long as you don't mind spending 2-3 hours of your vacation listening to a high pressure time share sales pitch.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='myspinonit' timestamp='1388663249' post='8383571']
OK. You guys are convincing me that I need to spend the coin on the Plantation once on our trip this Fall. Shame. :taunt:

But like the poster above, I'd likely only get my spouse to go as a rider for the same reasons. She's always up for lunch there though.
[/quote]

I liked the Bay course better than the Plantation. It was $100 cheaper as well.

Callaway GBB Epic 9*, Aldila Rogue
Ping i25 3w, G400 3hy
Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW
Vokey 50* SM7 F, 56* SM7 S, 61* SM5 Raw M
Newport 2 Select

[quote name='Jon H' timestamp='1388968042' post='8404803']
OK. You guys are convincing me that I need to spend the coin on the Plantation once on our trip this Fall. Shame. :taunt:

But like the poster above, I'd likely only get my spouse to go as a rider for the same reasons. She's always up for lunch there though.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I can't DISAGREE more to be honest. I played them both on the same day and the Bay is bland by comparison.

I do think the lower your handicap the more you will enjoy the plantation. The Plantation is almost 1000 yards longer from the tips than the Bay course.

Your best resource, IMO, is Maui Golf Shop for anything golf related om Maui. They helped me out tremendously and I saved some money and time by using them.

I was in Wailea last month for my honeymoon. After getting suggestions from people here and doing my own research, I went to Lanai for the day, it was spectacular. If Lanai is working on their courses, then play the Plantation. I have heard from many people that Kannapali was a let down. I have never heard anyone say they didn't like Kapalua, and you get to see it every January when the tour is there. No brainer, IMO.

And see the sunrise at Haleakala, its cold up there, real cold with the winds, but man is it amazing. It fits well into a day of doing that at sunrise, grabbing breakfast and a sack lunch in Paia and doing the Road to Hana. As we did it I couldn't decide if I liked it and thought I hated it, two days later I was very happy we did the Road to Hana. We also drove ALL the way around the road and back to the upcountry instead of heading back the same way we came. I got a little long winded here, but Maui was an amazing place. Enjoy it!

If your gonna stay on Maui and the Lahina/Kapalua area then Plantation is the spot you wanna be. I've played all the courses on Maui, and all the rest fall short of Plantation in all areas. I been on a Lanai tear the past 2 times I was there and for me that's my spot when I dont play Kapalua. Me and my wife book a room at the Four Seasons for a night and I play both courses and even played 36 at Koele last time in under 6 hours. The level of service at the Four Seasons is top notch and I've stayed at the Villas numerous times and just love Lanai cause you actually feel you are on a island away from the world and tourists. I would rank The Experience at Koele above Plantation, and The Challenge at Manele right there with the Bay course. Other courses I've played many times in local skins are Makena, Kaanapali, Wailea, King, and Dunes. None of those courses are anything to write home about but any course on the island is fun and I always have a good time. For me and my family next time we will be spending 2 days on Lanai, as it's my new favorite spot to be and the food is also amazing, I recommend the sushi at The Four Seasons Manele.

SLDR 430 TP 9* Matrix Ozik 7m3 X
SLDR TP/RBZ Tour P 15* & 19* 7m3 X
TaylorMade MB 3-9 KBS CTaper X
Titleist Vokey SM4 48-54-60 KBS blk/grn
Adidas-Coach-Versace
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5

I was in Maui a few months ago for my honeymoon and can provide some recent experience.

your first bet is to hit up Maui Golf Shop, its actually along the road that leads from the airport to the resort areas like Kaanapali and Kapalua, Can't remember the name, but there are like 4 roads in all of Maui anyways. They're super helpful if you need rentals and can offer some solid rates on courses.

We played Kaanapali (Royal), The Plantation Course and the Challenge at Lani. Kaanapali we actually booked through golfnow for a midday (noon) rate of about 100 bucks, but honestly, wouldn't pay more than that. Good course, just not super challenging. you get your typical scenic ocean views, but that's about it.

We booked our Plantation tee time 2 days in advance, and got the first twilight spot at 1, if you wanna play the plantation course, that should be your best bet, as you can arrive beforehand and hopefully get out early, we actually teed off closer to noon than 1 when we played, and still have plenty of daylight for an entire 18.

The real gem though is the Challenge. We did a little research and were totally intrigued. It requires you to take a 6am Ferry from Lahina to a separate island with 2 amazing courses. The views were unreal and there wasn't really anyone on the course. We could have finished in like 3 hours, but literally stopped on almost every hole to take pictures and still didn't see another golfer on the course. But they've recently closed one course for repairs, so it may not be worth it. But definitely something to look up and and enjoy the views.

I just came back four weeks ago and will say do the plantation course. I played the bay also which was a nice track I itself but just not as nice. If you decide to play the bay, call the shop and ask when the skins game is. I missed it by 15 minutes and it would have save me $80 on green fees. They charge $50 for the greens fee and a $30 buy in. Apparently Duffy Waldorf played the day I was there.

But one course, you have to play the plantation

• 3 weeks later...

Bite the Bullet and pay for the Plantation Course. It is worth every dime. The views alone are worth money. I really think that if you golf in Maui and don't play Kapalua, you will be kicking yourself in the a** for a long time.

I played there while on my Honeymoon, and got an evening rate of around $180. Now that was in June when there is more light but I'm sure they have some sort of evening rate.

Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana D+
Bio Cell + 5-7
MP 53 4-PW
Edel 58*
Ping TR 1966 Anser

[quote name='myspinonit' timestamp='1388634239' post='8382585']
I suggest you look in the Hawaii sub-forum for some recent posts. I'm reading you are on a budget What is your budget?
You can play for less than $100 at Kahili Pukalani or Elleiar . I came back two weeks ago and played all several times. Pukalani was in the best shape.

If you want a better chance of better weather and less wind, you want to drive down to Kihei/Wailea and in the am. The Wailea courses are expensive too, but you may be able to get a bit of a deal on EZ links or Golf Now or through the Maui Golf Shop. Old Blue is fine, not as good as the Emerald or Gold.

And for a reasonable round, Elleair is ok, can get windy in afternoon. Have lunch at Kono's there after.

PM me with phone number if you would like some more details.

Aloha.
[/quote]
Is it still named elleair? When we played there last summer it seemed like it had changed names. I've only played the plantation once but it's easily my most memorable golf experience

[quote name='jj270' timestamp='1391612029' post='8602715']
[quote name='myspinonit' timestamp='1388634239' post='8382585']
I suggest you look in the Hawaii sub-forum for some recent posts. I'm reading you are on a budget What is your budget?
You can play for less than $100 at Kahili Pukalani or Elleiar . I came back two weeks ago and played all several times. Pukalani was in the best shape.

If you want a better chance of better weather and less wind, you want to drive down to Kihei/Wailea and in the am. The Wailea courses are expensive too, but you may be able to get a bit of a deal on EZ links or Golf Now or through the Maui Golf Shop. Old Blue is fine, not as good as the Emerald or Gold.

And for a reasonable round, Elleair is ok, can get windy in afternoon. Have lunch at Kono's there after.

PM me with phone number if you would like some more details.

Aloha.
[/quote]
Is it still named elleair? When we played there last summer it seemed like it had changed names. I've only played the plantation once but it's easily my most memorable golf experience
[/quote]
Yes technically Maui Elleair (whether that's a change I don't recall) but Google it under Elleair and it comes up fine...we played it last November and December.

[quote name='Jon H' timestamp='1388968042' post='8404803']

[/quote]

[/quote] I'd have to agree with Scottvw on this one. I've played both, and while the Bay Course is much cheaper, it only had a few truly memorable holes. There is an over-water par 3 on the front (#5?) that is tough and scenic, but the back nine has several holes that could best be described as "goofy". The Plantation Course -- while more pricey -- has a lot of holes that are spectacular. Coore and Crenshaw really did a great job in dealing with the altitude changes and prevailing wind. You have to play it at least once.....

B