Game Golf tracking system (merged)

[quote name='Dat_Dude' timestamp='1402061985' post='9441767']
I am curious what you find is the best way to track penalties? I saw one person uses the triangle tag, but where do you store that since you aren't attaching it to a club? Any advice on that one would be greatly appreciated.
[/quote]

I don't use the additional tag for tracking penalties, never really saw the reason to. If I pummel one OB, which I'm prone to do I simply re-tee (without tagging anything). When I get to the fairway (hopefully) I tag whatever club I'm using and move on. During the round review there is a drop down to add penalty shots, you can add +1 or +2 to the tee shot. So if it's an OB shot I just click +2 (for stroke and distance) and move on. I know its not really 2 penalty shots, but its a heck of a lot easier and faster than estimating where it landed in Game Golf, then adding a shot with an extra tag back to the tee box, to track my 3rd shot.

If I hit a penalty shot, for example into a lateral hazard, I do the same. Go to the drop zone, or whereve I drop and tag the club I'm hitting into the green but only add +1. It might affect my distances in game golf slightly in this scenario since my drive really went into the water but once you have enough shots with each club it would be a minimal effect (maybe 1 yard).

Make sense?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I follow. You tag your first tee shot. If it goes OB then you just re-tee without tagging, hit your shot in play (say 270 yards), then just continue on as if the errant shot never happened. Then go back in after the round and you will add +2 to the tee shot to include your first hit and the penalty stroke so what way your distance on your drive still measures accurately? If I understand that correctly, won't that skew your penalty stroke statistics since technically you just had 1 penalty on that hole?

Also (sorry for all the dumb questions), what does the iPhone app actually do if the unit stores the data and is transferred to the PC?

[quote name='gigemaggs99' timestamp='1402019896' post='9439695']
[quote name='Gatormanager3' timestamp='1390875358' post='8547515']
Hey guys. I actually purchased one at the show on Friday and put it to the test on Sunday. I will go back through the thread and answer questions but if you have any others I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have based on my experiences so far. Overall I really like the device and it is nice to get the data. They're still new and figuring some things out as well as adding features.
[/quote]

Question sir, I'm really really interested in this product. I usually only play my home course (as much as possible) but what/how will the device work if I start on #10 instead of #1? What if I only play the back 9? Will it know what hole I'm on or does it always start on hole #1? I have a garmin approach G3 and each time I start it up I have to pick the course I'm playing and if we start on #10 for example I have to arrow ahead to #10 as it defaults on #1. Just wondering how this device will know what hole you're on.

Thanks.
[/quote]
Shouldn't be a problem at all if you start on #1 or #10. My home course has 3 9 hole courses so I have to turn the device off and then back on to start on my 2nd 9 holes but it's not a big deal. You should be able to keep the unit on the whole time and it will keep up.

[quote name='brtnsbs' timestamp='1402061487' post='9441723']
[quote name='Gatormanager3' timestamp='1390875358' post='8547515']
Question sir, I'm really really interested in this product. I usually only play my home course (as much as possible) but what/how will the device work if I start on #10 instead of #1? What if I only play the back 9? Will it know what hole I'm on or does it always start on hole #1? I have a garmin approach G3 and each time I start it up I have to pick the course I'm playing and if we start on #10 for example I have to arrow ahead to #10 as it defaults on #1. Just wondering how this device will know what hole you're on.

Thanks.
[/quote]

It actually is remarkably smart in that department. I started one round on the 13th hole since I was going out as a single and the starter suggested it since I'd be ahead of a quite a few groups. When I got home I loaded the round and it had all 18 holes in the correct order 1 through 18, it didn't start on 13 and loop around. I've played a couple 9 hole rounds where I go off the back 9 and it loads only holes 10-18.
[/quote]

I believe I read this somewhere off the GameGolf forum but I placed one of the extra tags into an old wine cork and use that for penalty strokes. Lightweight and easy.

I do the penatly tag with my Diamond tag.

use it after the fact though so I can not have a 40 yard driver shot that goes 270, but lands in the drink....

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

[quote name='brtnsbs' timestamp='1402061329' post='9441699']
[quote name='gigemaggs99' timestamp='1402022751' post='9439995']
Good news! I read through all 10 pages of these reviews and asked the boss (wife) if I could get one. Just placed my order on amazon.com. I'm always looking for a hot deal and ebay just isn't what it used to be. It shows from game golf you can purchase them for $249 with free shipping there are people selling them as "new" on ebay for $279 and some even charging shipping on top of that.

Amazon says the estimated delivery date is June 10-17. Can't WAIT!
[/quote]

Read all 10 pages now that is dedication. Once you get your game golf make sure you add me so I get updates on your rounds!
[/quote]

I will do that, as soon as I learn how LOL.

I'm sure I'll have a bunch of questions when it arrives. Amazon sent me an email said it shipped today and should be here Monday the 9th. :golfer:

What's In The Bag 

Driver:  Cobra LTDx 9*  ||  FWs:  Cleveland 3 Hy-wood 18*

Hybrid:  Titleist TS2 23*  ||  Irons:  Srixon Z565 6-PW

Wedges*:  Cleveland 588 RTX CB 50*/10* & 58*/12* Black Pearl  ||  PutterΨPing Anser 

Ball: Pro V1x, Srixon Q-star tour, & Kirkland    ||  Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite white/royal

Have you set up your account with game golf? you can go ahead and get your username and everything set up now.. I think

but then you can put it in you signature, so wierdos like me and Dan and YYZZ can golf stalk you and vice versa!

lol

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

[quote name='Ping Gator' timestamp='1402092181' post='9445151']
I do the penatly tag with my Diamond tag.

use it after the fact though so I can not have a 40 yard driver shot that goes 270, but lands in the drink....
[/quote]

Where do you define that the triangle is a Penalty? I set up my account and filled in all my clubs so I am ready to go except for that.

go to my bag if you can...

If I hit one in the water, I move the drive out to my average distance and then move to my drop shot by adding a shot and choosing "penalty"

you can look at the round from a couple of weeks ago at trails end golf course in arcadia LA.... on hole four I think I did this

you basically just create a club and call it that.. then you add it in you post round edit... I do it this way so that I can keep my club distances more accurate.

I dont carry it with me or anything. I just have it available in my post round edit...

hope that helps

Ng

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

[quote name='Ping Gator' timestamp='1402093586' post='9445279']
Have you set up your account with game golf? you can go ahead and get your username and everything set up now.. I think

but then you can put it in you signature, so wierdos like me and Dan and YYZZ can golf stalk you and vice versa!

lol
[/quote]

10-4, I hope I've set it up properly. I edited the bag so once the tabs come in I can install them in my grips.

What's In The Bag 

Wedges*:  Cleveland 588 RTX CB 50*/10* & 58*/12* Black Pearl  ||  PutterΨPing Anser 

Ball: Pro V1x, Srixon Q-star tour, & Kirkland    ||  Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite white/royal

Played my first round with this today and I am pretty impressed. Round editing was extremely simple. It took a while to connect to the course I was playing so I had to add a tee shot, but it was cool replaying the round in my head.

Quick penalty question again. So say you put it in the hazard. You want to keep your driving distance accurate, but what if you drop and you are 185 out, hit a 5 iron, but that would only be like a 210 yard drive. So you go tag it where you normally would land so you get that distance correct, but now you just hit a 5 iron about 130. How do you keep all distances accurate on penalty strokes?

That's why I use a penalty tag. Put your driver where it should be. Then "hit" a penalty" with shot back to where you hit the 5iron ... keeps things accurate.

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

[quote name='Ping Gator' timestamp='1402279884' post='9456557']
That's why I use a penalty tag. Put your driver where it should be. Then "hit" a penalty" with shot back to where you hit the 5iron ... keeps things accurate.
[/quote]

You don't literally walk backwards, right? Just tag the driver off the tee, then tag the 5 iron from where you hit it, then walk to where you would have hit your driver had it been straight and then tag the triangle (penalty)?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just re-read what you said earlier that you don't take it with you, but you add a shot with the Penalty tag in the post round edit. Ignore me.

When you edit the rounds by how far off are the 'worst' shots? I mean the distance between where GameGolf put a shot and where the shot really took place?
I've had a few examples where the distance was off by as much as 26 yards. There is a big difference between a 7 iron going 150 yards or 176 yards!
If the shots are around the green you can correct them because you can recognize some features, e.g. landed close to a bunker etc but for shots that landed on the fairway it is pretty difficult to 'correct' them.
The hole point of GameGolf is to learn you correct yardages, if the system can get it wrong by as much as 26 yards then I can't trust it.

I just want to know whether I have a dodgy unit (in which case I will try to get a replacement) or whether these 'wild position recordings' are common (in which case I will return it for a refund).

I haven't seen any huge variance and certainly not 26yds. Biggest difference I will occasionally see is what I call "shifting" where all the tagged shots for a hole will have been shifted on the overlay. As a reference I have over 30rd in.

G425 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
TEE CBX19 16.5*
Sub70 699U 19.5*
P770 5-P
Exo #7

After the down pour I headed back to the course, walked 18 this morning. Game Golf came in the mail this afternoon, I plugged it into the PC to charge and then left for the course around 4pm. When I got there the carts were all put up and the shop was locked. Lucky for me I prefer to walk. I loaded up my push cart and headed off for my first Golf Game round.

It took it a while to go green and get the GPS signal, next time I'll turn it on as soon as I pull into the parking lot.

I made it to the 5th hole and the head pro came out on a cart telling me I was welcome to keep playing but he was leaving for the night and locking the front gate, so my truck and I would be stuck inside the course....I was kinda frustrated as I wanted to at least finish 9, but at least I got to play a full 18 this morning, plus walking 36 in this 95% humidity is a bit tough.

I made it home and plugged the GG back into my PC, the editing is very simple, I'm very impressed.

Here is how I did on my first round.

[url="http://http://www.gamegolf.com/player/gigemaggs99/round/40305"]http://http://www.ga...s99/round/40305[/url]

I'm not sure how my averages are going to work....i.e. on hole #2 I push my 3W into the trees on the right, then I punched out with my 4i.

On hole #4 I pulled my drive and clipped the trees on the left, luckily it stayed in the fairway but it did knock off a good chunk of yards.

I have 2 questions so far,

1) when I plugged in Golf Game this afternoon I let it charge until it said 100% and the green light was on ( I let it charge for about 3 hours). When I came home after 5 holes and plugged it in it said "low". Should the battery last longer than that?

2) after I upload my round it gives me an option to "view" my round. It wants to open internet explorer, but that doesn't play nice with windows vista, I use Google Chrome, how do I tell Golf Game to open the round in Google Chrome instead of IE?

Thanks.

Gus

EDIT:

Hopefully I fixed it, I made google chrome my default browser.

[url="https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95417?hl=en"]https://support.goog...wer/95417?hl=en[/url]

I also closed the GAME GOLF and opened it back up and now it's at 100%.

EDIT #2:

My next question is how easy is it to move the tabs from club to club. I have a problem, there I said it, I have WAY TOO many putters and from time to time I'd like to use a different putter. Is it possible to move the tabs or is it not advised? I don't want to make them weak or break them.

I assigned the triangle as my OB/water penalty club. I guess I could use the other tabs and put them in my other putters. This would work no?

What's In The Bag 

[quote name='gigemaggs99' timestamp='1402358725' post='9463015']

My next question is how easy is it to move the tabs from club to club. I have a problem, there I said it, I have WAY TOO many putters and from time to time I'd like to use a different putter. Is it possible to move the tabs or is it not advised? I don't want to make them weak or break them.

I assigned the triangle as my OB/water penalty club. I guess I could use the other tabs and put them in my other putters. This would work no?
[/quote]

I haven't had a problem whatsoever. I had my grips re done this season and had to unscrew and re-screw all the tags after re-gripping. Also I unscrew my putter tag often as I also have a GSA putt that I use on the practice green. As long as you are cognizant to unscrew and not simply pull them out you shouldn't have a problem at all. Even it one did break you can always assign an extra tag to your putter. My 5iron tag wouldn't read on Game Golf so I just use the diamond tag for my 5 iron.

I just followed you on Game Golf, nice first round!

1.) In my experience it says low no matter what. I wouldn't worry about it. I've played about 9-10hrs with it with no charging. Also I've just charged it in the car on the way to a golf course (30min) which was enough.)

Like brtnsbs mentions switching tags hasn't been a huge issue though i'm not doing it every other round so not sure how that will work. As for your averages, they use median so punches and such have less of an effect. I also know that some people will simply make a "chipping" token using one of the extra tags and a wine cork then use this for punches/chips to prevent skewing their club numbers.

G425 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
TEE CBX19 16.5*
Sub70 699U 19.5*
P770 5-P
Exo #7

[quote name='Yrrdead' timestamp='1402487736' post='9472265']
Like brtnsbs mentions switching tags hasn't been a huge issue though i'm not doing it every other round so not sure how that will work. As for your averages, they use median so punches and such have less of an effect. I also know that some people will simply make a "chipping" token using one of the extra tags and a wine cork then use this for punches/chips to prevent skewing their club numbers.
[/quote]

They actually updated the algorithm used to calculate club distances to remove some of the lower end shots (punch outs, tops, chunks, etc) from the club performance calculation two updates ago (April) so there is no real need for a chip/punch tag anymore. I didn't really pay attention to my club performance numbers until I had about 10 rounds saved since it needs time to normalize and get enough shots on each club to be something that is accurate.

Got my first full round in this morning, other than sculling my bunker shot on #3 and putting my drive on #17 OB I had a decent round for me.

I'm really REALLY liking this GAME GOLF gadget! :clapping:

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/gigemaggs99/round/40883"]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/gigemaggs99/round/40883[/url]

What's In The Bag 

I looked over your round. The number of fairways and greens are impressive. Keep that up and you will be shooting par in no time!

Glad you like the Game Golf. I love mine too. I find it easier and more accurate to use Gator's recommendation of doing the penalty tag so you don't skew the numbers. I forgot to tag a 2-hybrid I hit out of the rough on #5 at TPC so my drive showed up as 380 yards instead of the snap hook 220 that it was. I almost left it in there. :P
Super easy to add post-round though.

I am really liking this device a lot. First time I used it was only for 9 holes but I'll be using this again on Friday! Love how simple it is and how you can work around little flaws like punch shots, etc by using other sensors and editing the names of them.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/achapa8807

[size=3][font=georgia,serif][b]Nike [/b]Vapor TW - BB73s
[b]Titleist [/b]915F 15* - D+ 80s
[b]Titleist [/b]913F 19* - D+ 82s
[b]Titleist [/b]913H 21* - Phenom 80s
[b]Mizuno [/b]MP 64 - 4-PW S300
[b]Titleist Vokey [/b]SM5- 54/08M, 60/04L
[b]Scotty Cameron [/b]Select Newport[/font][/size]
[url="https://flic.kr/p/E5WxHK"][img]https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1616/24997465921_7a3f574e63.jpg[/img][/url]

[quote name='Dat_Dude' timestamp='1402520210' post='9475711']
I looked over your round. The number of fairways and greens are impressive. Keep that up and you will be shooting par in no time!

Glad you like the Game Golf. I love mine too. I find it easier and more accurate to use Gator's recommendation of doing the penalty tag so you don't skew the numbers. I forgot to tag a 2-hybrid I hit out of the rough on #5 at TPC so my drive showed up as 380 yards instead of the snap hook 220 that it was. I almost left it in there. :P
Super easy to add post-round though.
[/quote]

Thanks!

So how do you actually use the penalty tag? I made it the triangle like Gator, but I don't have the actual triangle tag in my bag. Today when I hit my driver on #17 I pulled it left OB, then I just touched my driver to the GAME GOLF again and hit one, a pretty good one for me, down the middle. When I got home and edited the round I clicked on the first tee shot and there was an option to add a penalty, that's how I did it this time. I did not use the triangle tag. How do you do that? Or will it do something differently than how I'm doing it now?

I also noticed I need to look at the FIR more closely. There were a few that it didn't count as actual FIR, I think the google map thinks the fairways are mowed narrow and the rough is grown up tall, right now that isn't the case, so if I hit it in the short grass I call it a fairway, even though if they wanted to, they could mow it narrower. I figure if I have a clear shot to the green and the grass is the shortest cut I'm in the FIR.

What's In The Bag 

[quote name='TheMerryTex' timestamp='1402523485' post='9476009']
I am really liking this device a lot. First time I used it was only for 9 holes but I'll be using this again on Friday! Love how simple it is and how you can work around little flaws like punch shots, etc by using other sensors and editing the names of them.

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/achapa8807"]http://www.gamegolf....ayer/achapa8807[/url]
[/quote]

Dang...148 yard PW? I'm hitting an 8 iron.

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1402535408' post='9477173']
[quote name='TheMerryTex' timestamp='1402523485' post='9476009']

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/achapa8807"]http://www.gamegolf....ayer/achapa8807[/url]
[/quote]

Dang...148 yard PW? I'm hitting an 8 iron.
[/quote]

Yep little left to right wind brought the ball close to the right pin. I miss hit my 9 iron on 2 and put it in the bunker right of the green.... Agh!

[size=3][font=georgia,serif][b]Nike [/b]Vapor TW - BB73s
[b]Titleist [/b]915F 15* - D+ 80s
[b]Titleist [/b]913F 19* - D+ 82s
[b]Titleist [/b]913H 21* - Phenom 80s
[b]Mizuno [/b]MP 64 - 4-PW S300
[b]Titleist Vokey [/b]SM5- 54/08M, 60/04L
[b]Scotty Cameron [/b]Select Newport[/font][/size]
[url="https://flic.kr/p/E5WxHK"][img]https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1616/24997465921_7a3f574e63.jpg[/img][/url]

How do you post your rounds to facebook?

When I click on the facebook icon inside of Game Golf it gives me the following errors:

[color=#333333]This dialog has been passed a bad parameter.[/color]

[color=#333333]API Error Code: 100[/color]
[color=#333333]API Error Description: Invalid parameter[/color]
[color=#333333]Error Message: picture URL is not properly formatted[/color]

[color=#333333]I've googled it but I'm no computer guru...any clues?[/color]

What's In The Bag 

[quote name='gigemaggs99' timestamp='1402536337' post='9477277']
How do you post your rounds to facebook?

When I click on the facebook icon inside of Game Golf it gives me the following errors:

[color=#333333]This dialog has been passed a bad parameter.[/color]

[color=#333333]API Error Code: 100[/color]
[color=#333333]API Error Description: Invalid parameter[/color]
[color=#333333]Error Message: picture URL is not properly formatted[/color]

[color=#333333]I've googled it but I'm no computer guru...any clues?[/color]
[/quote]

Use the web version. Go to your Settings and click "Connect with Facebook". The error is likely due to not having your GG account linked with FB.