2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Game Golf tracking system (merged)

[quote name='BGH' timestamp='1403834819' post='9587153']
I've been following the progress of Game Golf since it was first announced. Certainly something I am very interested in, but the mixed reviews are a bit worrying. The main annoyances at the moment seem to be

1. Inaccurate GPS
2. Amount of time spent post round amending shots

#1 is simply an unfortunate hardware fault, but can anyone think of intuitive ways to solve problem #2? I am a hobbiest app developer and with the abundance of wearable tech about to come onto the market ([url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFi-QpuZfXs"]Moto 360[/url] looks the goods) I wonder if there is an alternative way to enter the same info as Game Golf uses.

How would people feel about simply pressing a button on their watch and simply saying "5 iron from fairway bunker" or "putting from off the green" or "7 iron after taking an unplayable"? Google's voice recognition tools are pretty good these days and with a companion app on your phone handling the GPS location (hopefully a bit more accurately than GG) it could potentially capture all the same info without the need for any additional hardware.

What do you think? Worth whipping up a prototype or would people feel like a knob talking into the phone/watch before each shot?
[/quote]

1. Its not a perfect system and its getting better all the time.. they will eventually have it that you can view and modify your round via your smartphone either Android or Apple...
I haven't seen a GPS that is super accurate yet... and like some of the guys have posted some locations works fine with no issues and some unfortunate not accurate.. (Think about how many time your car GPS tells you.. you have arrived and you are in the middle of the highway..lol)

2. There is skycaddy, golf Buddy, Garmin watch for example, which can keep track of your clubs used etc... You are right we are going to see alot of new wearable technology and
apps that will eventually do what we want...I haven't seen the perfect system yet.. but i'm sure with the success of this product is going to spawn a bunch of different systems..to competition..
3. As far as editing your rounds.. my last round I only had to adjust one hole and it was just that it mark me on the edge.. other then that it got everything correct.. The ones before only a few.. so right now it seems like its adjusting better.. this weekend will give it another go and see how it does.

Driver:  TourEdge Exotic Pro 10.5 with NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff
3 -Wood: Cobra King SZ with Tensei AV Blue Stiff
4-Hybrid: Cobra King F9 Hybrid
Irons: Mizuno MP-18 MMC - 5-PW , w/SteelFiber i125
WedgesCleveland RTX 4 RAW - 52 ,56, 60
Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven S, 34in
BallsTaylorMade TPx  & Snell MTB-X-
GPS:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

TESTING: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am thinking of picking one up this weekend, but have one question .... I like to use my 7 iron right at the green for pitch and run. Probably do that on twelve of the 18 holes. Naturally I use this from about 160 as well. I take if from discussions that this dual use of the club will screw up the stats for the 7 iron. Should I forgo the 7 for distance shots then and use, say, a light 6 and save the 7 just for the close-in shots? It throws the symmetry of the bag out of order of course, but that's the only way I can think of doing it.

Or I suppose I could have one of the extra tags in my pocket, and tap that when I want to use a 7 at the greenside, and call the club something unique.(??)

Just trying to figure out all the mechanics before plopping down $250.

Ping i530 2d strong R Graphite

Titleist TSR1 12.5 D, 3w

Vokey 58-10, 60-8

Miura KM 007 & Scotty

In the storeroom:
Mizuno MP-4 3-PW R +1"

Miura K-grind 52°, 60°

Honma TW747 P 5-11 steel R, TW-W4 56/8

Scotty Phantom X 5.5, Newport 2.5, Futura 5MB, Tiffany, Ping PLD3, Cadence TR

[quote name='rgb66rgb' timestamp='1403842954' post='9587945']
I am thinking of picking one up this weekend, but have one question .... I like to use my 7 iron right at the green for pitch and run. Probably do that on twelve of the 18 holes. Naturally I use this from about 160 as well. I take if from discussions that this dual use of the club will screw up the stats for the 7 iron. Should I forgo the 7 for distance shots then and use, say, a light 6 and save the 7 just for the close-in shots? It throws the symmetry of the bag out of order of course, but that's the only way I can think of doing it.

Or I suppose I could have one of the extra tags in my pocket, and tap that when I want to use a 7 at the greenside, and call the club something unique.(??)

[/quote]

When calculating usual club distances the system uses the median club distance, not the average club distance. So unless you are hitting A LOT of punch shots/chip shots then hopefully a club's stats wont be too skewed.

Having said that, hitting 12 chips per 18 holes with one club is most likely enough to throw out the club stats. However if I was in your position, having dodgy Game Golf stats would be the least of my worries. I'd be more concerned about why I am having to chip on in the same manner for 2/3rd of the holes.

Perhaps if you took a 6 iron from 160 instead of a 7 iron then you wouldn't have to use the 7 iron to chip at all.

[quote name='BGH' timestamp='1403843457' post='9587981']

[/quote]

When calculating usual club distances the system uses the median club distance, not the average club distance. So unless you are hitting A LOT of punch shots/chip shots then hopefully a club's stats wont be too skewed.

Having said that, hitting 12 chips per 18 holes with one club is most likely enough to throw out the club stats. However if I was in your position, having dodgy Game Golf stats would be the least of my worries. I'd be more concerned about why I am having to chip on in the same manner for 2/3rd of the holes.

Perhaps if you took a 6 iron from 160 instead of a 7 iron then you wouldn't have to use the 7 iron to chip at all.
[/quote]

I am not sure why they can not discount small chips completely from the statistics when it is obvious based on your position (near the green) that you are not taking a full shot.

Obviously this would not help when you need to punch out from under trees to the fairway but that really is a rarity compared to the chip on green use case.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/Frankfurt

[/quote]

They don't count shorter shots in your club performance data anymore. So shots like you are talking about are not calculated in your median club distance. I use my 7 iron around the green from time to time and on my club performance page the shortest 7 iron shot it shows is 117 yards (probably a top or chunk) and my median distance is 167 yards. In the original iteration this was a problem, but in March they updated the club performance to remove shorter shots from club performance.

[attachment=2295645:game-golf-scramble-7iron.jpg]

[quote name='brtnsbs' timestamp='1403869569' post='9588777']

[/quote]

They don't count shorter shots in your club performance data anymore. So shots like you are talking about are not calculated in your median club distance. I use my 7 iron around the green from time to time and on my club performance page the shortest 7 iron shot it shows is 117 yards (probably a top or chunk) and my median distance is 167 yards. In the original iteration this was a problem, but in March they updated the club performance to remove shorter shots from club performance.

[attachment=2295645:game-golf-scramble-7iron.jpg]
[/quote]

Not true in my experience. The algorithm is skewed to help ignore shorter shots but if you (for example) hit 70 chip shots around the green with a 9iron, and 30 full shots with said 9 iron your median distance with a 9 iron is going to show up like me @ 25yds. I don't care since I know how far I hit my 9 and I can mouse over the data to get a better idea what distance I"m hitting it.

G425 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
TEE CBX19 16.5*
Sub70 699U 19.5*
P770 5-P
Exo #7

[quote name='Yrrdead' timestamp='1403870688' post='9588855']
Not true in my experience. The algorithm is skewed to help ignore shorter shots but if you (for example) hit 70 chip shots around the green with a 9iron, and 30 full shots with said 9 iron your median distance with a 9 iron is going to show up like me @ 25yds. I don't care since I know how far I hit my 9 and I can mouse over the data to get a better idea what distance I"m hitting it.
[/quote]

Ahh interesting, never really though about if you use one club for the majority of shots that are short. That makes sense. I guess in that case for the poster that uses his 7 iron around the green on most holes it might be easiest to add an extra tag for chips and simply edit club selection after the round. It'd be as easy as clicking on your chips and changing club to whatever tag you designate as a chip, then your 7 iron stats wouldn't get skewed. I don't use one specific club that often, maybe my SW for chipping, but after the update it removed all the chips and shows a true median distance for me.

Ok, I'm jumping in! Got one off E-Bay from a gal that was selling it for her dad.... $199. Should be here sometime next week.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Taylormade M2[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Nike Sumo 3w, 5w[/size][/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]Nike CPR 26*[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged, 5-PW[/size][/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]Cleveland 588 RTX 50,54,58[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Scotty Futura X7M DB[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Precision Pro NX7 Pro[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Arccos Game Tracker[/size][/font][/color]

[/quote]<g> I actually mean I tend to use the 7 if I am just off the fringe; I have never liked putting from anywhere but the green itself. Prob is I am having a hard time sticking any iron in, so if I roll just off, I am like a surgeon with a 7 to get it up to the cup.

Titleist TSR1 12.5 D, 3w

Vokey 58-10, 60-8

Miura KM 007 & Scotty

In the storeroom:
Mizuno MP-4 3-PW R +1"

Miura K-grind 52°, 60°

[quote name='rgb66rgb' timestamp='1403900757' post='9592281']
[/quote]<g> I actually mean I tend to use the 7 if I am just off the fringe; I have never liked putting from anywhere but the green itself. Prob is I am having a hard time sticking any iron in, so if I roll just off, I am like a surgeon with a 7 to get it up to the cup.
[/quote]

Might be a PITA but how about having one of the extra tags in your pocket and tagging it when you chip?

TM Sim 9.0
TM Sim 3WTi
TM Sim 3H

PXG XF 5-PW KBS TGI Graphite Reg
Cleveland CBX2 48/54/58 KBS
Byron Morgan GSS DH-89
www.gamegolf.com/player/Chunkylover77

I wouldn't worry about the chipping with the 7-iron stat. I use my 4-iron almost 100% of the time when I'm punching out of the trees and trying to get back into the fairway. I think I've punched 1-3 times with my 7-iron and maybe 1-3 times with my 8-iron.

Here is how it shows my data for the 4-iron, to me the punches doesn't seem to hurt the average that much, if you read the actual data and by that I mean you have to understand where it's coming from. I hit my 4-iron on the #10 tee which is a down hill par 4, sometimes it catches the down slope and the ball takes off, i.e. the 231 yd 4-iron, most of the time it goes around 200 yards which the data supports.

4-irondata_zpse77c869c.png

4-irondata2_zps67daf52c.png

4-irondata3_zps6687d7cf.png

Maybe in the future they will give us an option to change the shot type, i.e. to a punch, similar to how we can change the putt from "On the green" to "Off the green" this changes your overall putts/hole average. Maybe they will add a "chip shot" or "punch shot" option.

What's In The Bag 

Driver:  Cobra LTDx 9*  ||  FWs:  Cleveland 3 Hy-wood 18*

Hybrid:  Titleist TS2 23*  ||  Irons:  Srixon Z565 6-PW

Wedges*:  Cleveland 588 RTX CB 50*/10* & 58*/12* Black Pearl  ||  PutterΨPing Anser 

Ball: Pro V1x, Srixon Q-star tour, & Kirkland    ||  Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite white/royal

[quote name='Bucken77' timestamp='1403901299' post='9592349']
[quote name='rgb66rgb' timestamp='1403900757' post='9592281']
[/quote]

Might be a PITA but how about having one of the extra tags in your pocket and tagging it when you chip?
[/quote]

Yea, that's the way I was leaning - they are legit shots and so I think should be counted as such and not edited after the fact.

Titleist TSR1 12.5 D, 3w

Vokey 58-10, 60-8

Miura KM 007 & Scotty

In the storeroom:
Mizuno MP-4 3-PW R +1"

Miura K-grind 52°, 60°

[quote name='gigemaggs99' timestamp='1403908838' post='9593055']
Maybe in the future they will give us an option to change the shot type, i.e. to a punch, similar to how we can change the putt from "On the green" to "Off the green" this changes your overall putts/hole average. Maybe they will add a "chip shot" or "punch shot" option.
[/quote]

That would solve the problem. But I do see from your pix that for the stats at least it doesn't look like it will make a difference. Much appreciated everyone. Gonna try to pick one up tomorrow.

Titleist TSR1 12.5 D, 3w

Vokey 58-10, 60-8

Miura KM 007 & Scotty

In the storeroom:
Mizuno MP-4 3-PW R +1"

Miura K-grind 52°, 60°

I wouldn't worry about the chipping with the 7-iron stat. I use my 4-iron almost 100% of the time when I'm punching out of the trees and trying to get back into the fairway. I think I've punched 1-3 times with my 7-iron and maybe 1-3 times with my 8-iron.

Here is how it shows my data for the 4-iron, to me the punches doesn't seem to hurt the average that much, if you read the actual data and by that I mean you have to understand where it's coming from. I hit my 4-iron on the #10 tee which is a down hill par 4, sometimes it catches the down slope and the ball takes off, i.e. the 231 yd 4-iron, most of the time it goes around 200 yards which the data supports.

Titleist DCI Irons...nice. I had a set of 962s for a long time and then went to 762s for a bit. Loved them both.

Titleist DCI Irons...nice. I had a set of 962s for a long time and then went to 762s for a bit. Loved them both.

Thanks! I've been through the ringer of clubs. Been playing for 19 years and tried to convince myself I was good enough for blades, had a few sets, Nike blades, then some Mizuno, then this last year I had MP 33s, they are great Mizuno irons but I just didn't have as much fun on the golf course as I should have been. When I hit the MP 33 pure it felt like butter and they were very consistent on distances, the problem was mishits would really penalize me, I'm talking a bad hit with my 9-iron would go 90 yards instead of 130. That meant a lot of scrambling for pars or bogeys.

When I first started playing my buddy had the DCI's I think he had the black series instead of the gold. I always liked them so I started doing some research and decided on the Golds, the only difference is the 4-6irons have some offset, 7-LW are the same as the black series. I was able to get a nice used set on the bay for around $75. My MP 33's were traded in at the local golf shop towards my Taylormade Woods.

If need be I can work the ball, I prefer to hit it straight. I read a lot and read about people needing blades to "work" the ball. I prefer to hit fairways and greens, I can cut a ball around a tree if I need to with these DCIs and I can draw them in if need be, I guess I'm not good enough or find it necessary to work the ball so much, maybe that will come in time. I do like how my GIRs have gone way up since using these clubs, I think it's due to the mishits don't punish me near as much. When hit pure they feel like butter, they may not look as sweet as the true Mizuno blades but in my amateur hands they get the job done.

I've been shooting in the low 80s and high 70s here pretty consistently and I think higher GIRs, and better putting have really made a difference. One thing that did take a long time to get used to was the cavity back wedges, I was using Vokey SM wedges, learning to hit out of the sand with cavity back wedges took some time, they don't bounce or get through the sand like the Vokey's did, but I'm weird and wanted a "complete set" so I went with the DCI Gold 52* and 56* wedges to match the irons.

They may be an older model but they seem to work for me.

Happy Golfing!

What's In The Bag 

Wedges*:  Cleveland 588 RTX CB 50*/10* & 58*/12* Black Pearl  ||  PutterΨPing Anser 

Ball: Pro V1x, Srixon Q-star tour, & Kirkland    ||  Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite white/royal

Btw. That shows your 4 iron as being your 165 club. So it makes 35 yards difference on the overall club average. Cool thing is that the analysis separates approach shots from tee shots. So that makes a difference. My OCD drives me crazy with things like that. Lol

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

Just posted another round.. not one fix .. did notice the scoring analysis.. now that is sweet. It breaks it down total scoring, and from Par 3 to Par 5. Birdies, Pars, Bogeys, DBL Bogeys and +3 percentages. Now you can see what holes you score well and which ones you struggle.. .
Improvements continue!

[quote name='mrbandit' timestamp='1404000876' post='9598933']
Just posted another round.. not one fix .. did notice the scoring analysis.. now that is sweet. It breaks it down total scoring, and from Par 3 to Par 5. Birdies, Pars, Bogeys, DBL Bogeys and +3 percentages. Now you can see what holes you score well and which ones you struggle.. .
Improvements continue!
[/quote]

I played my first full round with gg. I need to work it into my pre-shot routine - several missed shots.

The distances are going to be curious - my home course is called Hudson [b]HILLS[/b] for a reason. Lots of shots where the change in elevation is > 1 club in distance. Add that it is on a ridge off the Hudson so we consider 10 mph winds calm and 15 with gusts to 25 a "zephyr of a wind", and you can be using your 200 club from 165 and your 170 club from 190 (why is it the wind never helps as much as it hurts?).

I really want to turn off that bloody beep. Just vibrate and the green light, that's all.

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

[quote name='NostraDEIMOS' timestamp='1404061558' post='9602067']
I finally used my GG today and I aced the first hole. Don't mind the fact that it was only 72 yards and that the rest of my round was blah. I'm just stoked that I got my first hole in one!!!

www.gamegolf.com/round/50216

[attachment=2299121:image.jpg]
[/quote]

CONGRATULATIONS! I saw this on Game Golf and I was like WHAT!!! A HOLE IN ONE SWEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!! :good::drinks::yahoo:

What's In The Bag 

[quote name='mortimer' timestamp='1403619283' post='9565715']
This seems to be a very cool and useful tool. I want to get one but just wonder if the GPS system in Europe (I live in Spain) will support Game Golf properly since there are several posts from UK users complaining about that. Any more opinions from european users?
Thanks
[/quote]
It would be good to hear some reports from other European users. I was one of the guys who got way off readings. I actually returned my unit for a refund as I wasn't sure whether it was just a dodgy device or indeed a problem in Europe. I will probably give the device another try when I hear good reports from Europe.

Btw the rep who said they only us one satellite has no idea what he is talking about. You need 3 as a minimum. Better 4 or 5.

I sent a email about a couple of options that might solve some of the stat problems.

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

[/quote]

I just now saw this...

thats exactly what I sent them.... lol

that 8 yard chip with an 8 iron... would definitely mess up the stats.

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

[quote name='Ping Gator' timestamp='1404164034' post='9610501']
[/quote]

I just now saw this...

thats exactly what I sent them.... lol

that 8 yard chip with an 8 iron... would definitely mess up the stats.
[/quote]

I like that idea, maybe tap twice with putter for off the green, once for on the green and tap twice for chip vs. once for approach full shot, etc. Maybe different color indicators for the different type of shot down the road

Finally able to get out for my first round to try this out. Like most, didn't do a great job of remembering to tag every shot. We also had Arthur go through here last night so it was pretty windy, gusts up to 2-3 clubs most of the day so the yardages are going to be interesting. Editing the round isn't too hard, but good motivation to remember to tag those shots next time! I think it was a bit distracting for me on the front nine, to go along with the wind it was hard to concentrate on the golf. But I think that will get easier once I'm used to having it. Kind of funny thinking I have 3 GPS devices with me, this, my GPS and phone....

[quote name='NostraDEIMOS' timestamp='1404061558' post='9602067']
I finally used my GG today and I aced the first hole. Don't mind the fact that it was only 72 yards and that the rest of my round was blah. I'm just stoked that I got my first hole in one!!!

www.gamegolf.com/round/50216

[attachment=2299121:image.jpg]
[/quote]
That is Freaking AWESOME!!!! and recorded so you and everyone else can see!!!! PRICELESS!

[sup]Started my pre-shot routine by standing over the ball , tagging and then continue with my club or putter adjustment.. this has been working out pretty good!![/sup]

[quote name='Playerbb' timestamp='1404673231' post='9646947']
My game golf unit stopped working after 3 rounds. Any one else have similar issues ? I charge it and take it out to the golfcourse and no response.

I looked on there web sits and could not find a customer service number. Have been emailing back and forth for the last couple days. Hoping to get it fixed.
[/quote]

thats a first...

there is a email to send.. they will get back with you usually within 24 hours..

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis