Game Golf tracking system (merged)

The device is now available here in the UK and I pulled the trigger. Now waiting for it to arrive.

So what is the 'best practise'. Do you have one tag for penalty shots and one tag to indicate the pin position?
After the round you then remove the last 'shot' with the pin position?

I've emailed them this week to see whether they are planing to support the 'Strokes Gained' stats from Mark Broadie (the stats the PGA is now using for Putting and driving). This was the reply:
[quote]Thank you for reaching out to us at GAME GOLF! We greatly appreciate your interest and support and love hearing from passionate customers like yourself. We just had a hackathon internally and some great features were created, one of them being the strokes gained analysis for your clubs. I voted for that to roll out, but in order for something like that to be properly heard, please submit them to [url="http://myexperience.gamegolf.com/"]myexperience.gamegolf.com[/url], as our engineers look to the user feature request forum when implementing new platform updates.[/quote]

Strokes Gained would give you a good indication on where you gain/lose strokes in your game. If you agree, remember to vote for it on their website!

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ParHunter' timestamp='1400835652' post='9352449']
The device is now available here in the UK and I pulled the trigger. Now waiting for it to arrive.

So what is the 'best practise'. Do you have one tag for penalty shots and one tag to indicate the pin position?

I've emailed them this week to see whether they are planing to support the 'Strokes Gained' stats from Mark Broadie (the stats the PGA is now using for Putting and driving). This was the reply:
[quote]Thank you for reaching out to us at GAME GOLF! We greatly appreciate your interest and support and love hearing from passionate customers like yourself. We just had a hackathon internally and some great features were created, one of them being the strokes gained analysis for your clubs. I voted for that to roll out, but in order for something like that to be properly heard, please submit them to [url="http://myexperience.gamegolf.com/"]myexperience.gamegolf.com[/url], as our engineers look to the user feature request forum when implementing new platform updates.[/quote]

Strokes Gained would give you a good indication on where you gain/lose strokes in your game. If you agree, remember to vote for it on their website!
[/quote]

Oh man this would be awesome if they added this soon! I figured this was something they'd take a while to fine tune and implement.

[quote name='brtnsbs' timestamp='1400844332' post='9352643']
[quote name='ParHunter' timestamp='1400835652' post='9352449']

[/quote]

Oh man this would be awesome if they added this soon! I figured this was something they'd take a while to fine tune and implement.
[/quote]

Steady! There is a big difference in doing a proof of concept study and rolling it out in production. As a rule of thumb you need about 20% of the time to implement 80 percent of the functionality (which would be your proof of concept). I don't see them rolling it out next month.

As I haven't used GameGolf yet, do they have different kind of lies (tee, fairway, rough, bunker, impeded (e.g. behind tree))?

[quote name='ParHunter' timestamp='1400845331' post='9352701']
Steady! There is a big difference in doing a proof of concept study and rolling it out in production. As a rule of thumb you need about 20% of the time to implement 80 percent of the functionality (which would be your proof of concept). I don't see them rolling it out next month.

As I haven't used GameGolf yet, do they have different kind of lies (tee, fairway, rough, bunker, impeded (e.g. behind tree))?
[/quote]

Yea I don't expect it in the next month, just sort of figured that the stroke gained is a year away or more with Game Golf.

At this time there is no lie tracking, although in an earlier update they added on/off green for putts since so many people would putt from a few yards off the green but Game Golf would assume since it was so close to the edge of the green that it was on the green. So in future updates they could pull fairway/rough/sand from your shots and you could edit the lie if it was incorrect. The GPS is accurate, but not so accurate that if you're 1 yard off the fairway that it will get that correct 100% of the time.

They could do strokes gained driving and approach pretty easily, even by estimating pin location to the middle of the green and you could alter pin position if needed. I don't know if they'll ever have a way to accurately track strokes gained short game or putting because the distances need to be so exact. Holing a 10 foot putt vs. an 7 foot putt while only 3 feet would affect your strokes gained putting drastically and the GPS simply isn't that accurate. They'd probably have to add a feet to hole option for putting where you would have to manually input the feet.

i agree.. the gps just isnt going to be accurate enough to be able to do what shot link does... and the stats that go with them...

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

Game Golf just sent out another e-mail and another update that they are pushing to devices. Basically all things that will help make the post round editing faster and easier as well as improvements to the scorecard. I'm really happy with the support they have shown after the fact, updates and improvements seem to come almost monthly.

http://blog.gamegolf.com/product-update-improved-round-review-editing/

I got that email.. and it just makes sense with the new layout... dont you think?

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

yeah.. I didnt even think about that.

I use Golfpad GPS to keep my score.. so this will allow me to go hole by hole on the scorecard to make the score right... then I can edit the shots...

perfect..

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

One thing that annoys me with GameGolf is the complete lack of privacy features. Everyone who finds your username can view your stats, when you played and where you played. They can then also see your real name as it is shown on your dashboard page instead of your username (which is used in the URL).

I've tried to change my name on GameGolf to my username but also it saved okay, the next time I reloaded the page it was back to my real name.

The EU is a lot stricter with privacy laws and data protection then the US. I would be surprised if GameGolfs handling of user data is conform to European law!

[quote name='ParHunter' timestamp='1401447071' post='9394899']

I've tried to change my name on GameGolf to my username but also it saved okay, the next time I reloaded the page it was back to my real name.

[/quote]

I made my last name just my initial and it seems to have saved just fine. At least when I view it I only see "Dan P". Might be something to consider?

After reading this thread, and about how well it seems to be supported so far, I decided to order one of these. Looking forward to using it to track my stats. Thanks for all the ideas you guys have come up with. Maybe I will be able to contribute.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5°
Callaway XR 16 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik Max 3 thru 5 hybrids
Srixon z565 6 thru PW
48°, 52° & 58° Cleveland CBX wedges
Ping Sigma 2 Kushin C flat stick

All subject to change in the blink of an eye.........and I blink a lot.

I've played my first round with GameGolf today and I must say I was disappointed with the GPS accuracy.

It seemed that there were always a few shots which 'jumped' way off. Mainly around the green.

This picture shows one example. Apparently I've putted out of the bunker to the pin which was in a tree!
[attachment=2252987:Screen Shot 2014-06-01 at 14.41.20.png]

It was easy to correct the hole:
[attachment=2252989:Screen Shot 2014-06-01 at 14.48.16.png]

But it makes you wonder how good your club distances really are if the shots can be off by 20 yards or more and the system places the pin in trees!

I am currently considering to return the device.

Has anyone else had such inaccurate results? The round was played in the UK. We don't have WAAS here which improves the GPS accuracy. A similar system EGNOSS is being rolled out in Europe but I don't know whether that is fully operational yet.

this is why you get to correct them. Thier mapping system is based off of the satellite maps.. and then from your reading. it can only be as accurate as the GPS's allow them to be. The system cannot see the trees. it just takes a basic reading of where you are. I know in the states that they only allow them to be so accurate for millitary reasons...

But consider the fact that you have a belt thingy reading information for you. Its awesome

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

me too, and definately not enough to consider returning it.. there is no way...

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

While looking at the charts with the club distances I had an idea for an improvement.
At the moment they have all the same width but are for different ranges. E.g. the driver going from 200 to 250 yards, the 7 iron from 130 to 160 etc. But they are all above each other.
It would be nice if all the clubs could be displayed in the same scale going from 0 to 300 yards (or more for the big hitters). That way you get a 'gapping chart' for your clubs. You can see where you have big gaps and where clubs overlap.

So instead of
| * ** * *| Driver (200-250 yards)
| * ** * *| 7 iron (130-160 yards)

you would have

* ** * * Driver
* ** * * 7 iron

If you think this is a good idea vote for it here: http://myexperience.gamegolf.com/forums/236342-feature-requests/suggestions/5999184-gapping-chart-for-clubs

Edit: I've found a picture of a 'gapping chart'
[attachment=2254705:Screen Shot 2014-06-02 at 16.04.39.png]

[quote name='Dat_Dude' timestamp='1401983129' post='9435831']
Forgive me if this is already in this thread, but I can't seem to find how it measures the "made putt"? If you click one more time after you made a putt, won't that follow you to the next tee box?
[/quote]
When you tag your last putt, that's all you have to do. When you tag your next tee shot with another club, it understands that you've finished the previous hole and are starting a new one. The system also usually assumes that your last tagged putt is near the location of the hole on the green, so if you make a long one, you'll usually need to adjust the flag location on the green when you edit the round.

I actually stopped using my Game Golf unit and sold it. It's a fun thing that I think could eventually provide a lot of great detailed information about your game, but I found that especially on the greens, it was a distraction. Instead of concentrating on the putt, I was thinking that I need to make sure to tag this shot. I'm enough of a mess mentally on the course as it is, so the additional distraction hurts my focus. That's more about my own demons than any shortcomings of the system, though.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

what I do, is generally not tag it except in the fairway and around the green... I then keep track of my putts, and what club i teed off with.

then I add everything on the computer...

i learned by mistake that this is the easiest way to do it... I like the system for my memories.. I like looking back at that "good round" as it gets me juiced to play...
i look at my bad rounds as a way to think about what i am doing on a regular basis miss wise to see what i need to focus on..

plus its just cool to this old guy...

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

[quote name='Ping Gator' timestamp='1401999305' post='9437733']
what I do, is generally not tag it except in the fairway and around the green... I then keep track of my putts, and what club i teed off with.

then I add everything on the computer...

i learned by mistake that this is the easiest way to do it... I like the system for my memories.. I like looking back at that "good round" as it gets me juiced to play...
i look at my bad rounds as a way to think about what i am doing on a regular basis miss wise to see what i need to focus on..

plus its just cool to this old guy...
[/quote]

I think that's a nice feature in that you can tag your own way and fix after the round with ease. I tag just about everything, I find it easy to tap my hip and feel the buzz when I'm marking my putt. For tap ins I typically do it as I'm walking away as Game Golf doesn't track anything besides total number of putts as of now.

yeah, but dan... i am too stupid to remember to tag em...
lol

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

[quote name='Gatormanager3' timestamp='1390875358' post='8547515']
Hey guys. I actually purchased one at the show on Friday and put it to the test on Sunday. I will go back through the thread and answer questions but if you have any others I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have based on my experiences so far. Overall I really like the device and it is nice to get the data. They're still new and figuring some things out as well as adding features.
[/quote]

Question sir, I'm really really interested in this product. I usually only play my home course (as much as possible) but what/how will the device work if I start on #10 instead of #1? What if I only play the back 9? Will it know what hole I'm on or does it always start on hole #1? I have a garmin approach G3 and each time I start it up I have to pick the course I'm playing and if we start on #10 for example I have to arrow ahead to #10 as it defaults on #1. Just wondering how this device will know what hole you're on.

Thanks.

What's In The Bag 

Driver:  Cobra LTDx 9*  ||  FWs:  Cleveland 3 Hy-wood 18*

Hybrid:  Titleist TS2 23*  ||  Irons:  Srixon Z565 6-PW

Wedges*:  Cleveland 588 RTX CB 50*/10* & 58*/12* Black Pearl  ||  PutterΨPing Anser 

Ball: Pro V1x, Srixon Q-star tour, & Kirkland    ||  Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite white/royal

[quote name='gigemaggs99' timestamp='1402019896' post='9439695']
Hey guys. I actually purchased one at the show on Friday and put it to the test on Sunday. I will go back through the thread and answer questions but if you have any others I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have based on my experiences so far. Overall I really like the device and it is nice to get the data. They're still new and figuring some things out as well as adding features.
[/quote]

Question sir, I'm really really interested in this product. I usually only play my home course (as much as possible) but what/how will the device work if I start on #10 instead of #1? What if I only play the back 9? Will it know what hole I'm on or does it always start on hole #1? I have a garmin approach G3 and each time I start it up I have to pick the course I'm playing and if we start on #10 for example I have to arrow ahead to #10 as it defaults on #1. Just wondering how this device will know what hole you're on.

Thanks.
[/quote]

it doesnt matter what order you play them in.. it uses the GPS tag to put it in place. sometimes you have to fix things.. but if you look at it like this its cool:

I dont have $50,000 to spend on a shotlink...
This is $250
It is very cool in what it does, and they are upgrading it about every two months, FOR FREE as its just the software on their end...

It is AWESOME... now go buy one!!

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

Good news! I read through all 10 pages of these reviews and asked the boss (wife) if I could get one. Just placed my order on amazon.com. I'm always looking for a hot deal and ebay just isn't what it used to be. It shows from game golf you can purchase them for $249 with free shipping there are people selling them as "new" on ebay for $279 and some even charging shipping on top of that.

Amazon says the estimated delivery date is June 10-17. Can't WAIT!

What's In The Bag 

Driver:  Cobra LTDx 9*  ||  FWs:  Cleveland 3 Hy-wood 18*

Hybrid:  Titleist TS2 23*  ||  Irons:  Srixon Z565 6-PW

Wedges*:  Cleveland 588 RTX CB 50*/10* & 58*/12* Black Pearl  ||  PutterΨPing Anser 

Ball: Pro V1x, Srixon Q-star tour, & Kirkland    ||  Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite white/royal

[quote name='gigemaggs99' timestamp='1402022751' post='9439995']
Good news! I read through all 10 pages of these reviews and asked the boss (wife) if I could get one. Just placed my order on amazon.com. I'm always looking for a hot deal and ebay just isn't what it used to be. It shows from game golf you can purchase them for $249 with free shipping there are people selling them as "new" on ebay for $279 and some even charging shipping on top of that.

[/quote]

Congratulations with getting clearance from the finance department, (wife). I really like my system and reviewing my rounds afterwards. I'm certain I'll like it even more if I can lower my score. (one thing at a time) ;- ) Enjoy!

[quote name='gigemaggs99' timestamp='1402022751' post='9439995']

[/quote]

Read all 10 pages now that is dedication. Once you get your game golf make sure you add me so I get updates on your rounds!

Thanks.
[/quote]

It actually is remarkably smart in that department. I started one round on the 13th hole since I was going out as a single and the starter suggested it since I'd be ahead of a quite a few groups. When I got home I loaded the round and it had all 18 holes in the correct order 1 through 18, it didn't start on 13 and loop around. I've played a couple 9 hole rounds where I go off the back 9 and it loads only holes 10-18.

Well I broke down and purchased one of these off Amazon. I have Prime and still had it shipped next day so I could hopefully use it if I play Sunday and certainly for league night Tuesday.

I am curious what you find is the best way to track penalties? I saw one person uses the triangle tag, but where do you store that since you aren't attaching it to a club? Any advice on that one would be greatly appreciated.