2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Game Golf tracking system (merged)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GG got delivered today, going to get it set up and take it out for my round tomorrow.

One thing I thought about today, is there a way you can tell it in post round editing that it was a chip shot say and not say a full wedge shot? How does it prevent your yardages from getting all jacked up?

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1417368173' post='10521457']
GG got delivered today, going to get it set up and take it out for my round tomorrow.

One thing I thought about today, is there a way you can tell it in post round editing that it was a chip shot say and not say a full wedge shot? How does it prevent your yardages from getting all jacked up?
[/quote]

I have only played one round so far and didn't notice anything like that when editing. Doesn't matter too much for me as I rarely use my 56 and 60 for any full shots. The only club I chip with that I use for full shots is the Gap 50*, but as it doesn't happen often, GG will basically see those small uses as duffs or bad shots and not count them once I get a few more rounds under my belt.

Forever Changing at this point.......

[/quote]

It automatically omits those shots within a ~10% to the clubs avg distance. You won't notice it until you hit 15-20 shots to give it a solid average.

[quote name='techjunkee' timestamp='1417384074' post='10522371']

[/quote]

It automatically omits those shots within a ~10% to the clubs avg distance. You won't notice it until you hit 15-20 shots to give it a solid average.
[/quote]
I'm not sure this works as you say? - I chip around the green with my 7iron & after 16 rounds my Average Distance for 7 iron is 32yards - I did contact Support about this & they told me it was something they were hoping to find a solution to? - I have read (probably in this thread?) that some people are carrying one of the "spare" tags in their pocket & using this when they play chip shots (or other partial shots) - I can't be bothered to do this & just accept (for now) that my 7 iron Average Distance is way off due to how much I use it for chipping ... Paul

TaylorMade P770 5-PW c/w Shimada Tour Lite Stiff 
Mizuno MP-T22 49* 54* 58* 
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 10.5* Driver c/w MRC Fujikura Ventus Velocore TR 60s
PXG 3 5 7 Woods 
PXG Closer Putter

Well, if you use your 7 iron a lot for chipping, then that will roll into the average.

So let's say you hit your 7 iron 20 times, and 15 of those are chips. Your "average" distance might be 40 yards, so it's probably going to toss out the regular shots since those are outliers in the data.

There's no other way to interpret the data... it can't be a mind reader!

What they'll probably end up doing is having a "minimum distance" setting for each club so that it will ignore data under a certain distance.

[quote name='larrybud' timestamp='1417462389' post='10526021']
Well, if you use your 7 iron a lot for chipping, then that will roll into the average.

So let's say you hit your 7 iron 20 times, and 15 of those are chips. Your "average" distance might be 40 yards, so it's probably going to toss out the regular shots since those are outliers in the data.

What they'll probably end up doing is having a "minimum distance" setting for each club so that it will ignore data under a certain distance.
[/quote]

They could go to something like a minimum of 75% of longest of last 50 uses or 75% of avg of longest 10 out of last 100. That would self set limits. I'm not sure 75% is the right amount just throwing it out as an example.

I would wonder after a while if they would add an option to mark something like that as a chip - because I noticed the same thing today. All my wedges averages are now @ 40 yards.

I have to say, I was pretty impressed with GG today. Doesnt hurt I picked a career best round to test it out for the first time lol but it was pretty cool. Editing the round afterwards really only takes a couple of minutes. There were a couple of spots where I forgot to tag and those shots were clearly highlighted. There was also a spot where I had forgotten to add a putt - again, really easy to add.

I can think of a handful of things I would change in terms of software upgrades but it wasnt bad for my first time out.

Hope I set this up right:

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/GameGolfDC"]http://www.gamegolf....ayer/GameGolfDC[/url]

Just got mine today and set everything up.

Took less than 15 minutes from opening the box to create my tags.

Can't wait to use it and give it a go!

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/CactusGolf

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

[quote name='THenman' timestamp='1417465159' post='10526289']
[quote name='larrybud' timestamp='1417462389' post='10526021']

[/quote]

They could go to something like a minimum of 75% of longest of last 50 uses or 75% of avg of longest 10 out of last 100. That would self set limits. I'm not sure 75% is the right amount just throwing it out as an example.
[/quote]
Good point! - I think that the best solution, as I mentioned to GG Support, is that post round there is a way of telling the system that ANY particular shot was a chip or partial shot of some kind - It could be another option in the drop down menu like "Change Club" etc - I may contact them again to follow this up & see if any such update is in the pipeline?
Cheers ... Paul

PXG 3 5 7 Woods 
PXG Closer Putter

[quote name='larrybud' timestamp='1417527158' post='10530015']
I don't chip with anything but SW or a 60, (I'm not really sure how you stop a ball with a 7 iron), but I know I really don't look at the yardages for my two chipping clubs at all. Really just gap and long.
[/quote]
Hi larrybud ... Chipping with a 7 iron isn't a shot you are trying to stop (I'd also use a GW or LW to do that!) - A chip with a 7 iron is purely to lift the ball off the ground slightly (just off the green, in the fringe for example) - I am in the UK so we tend to "chip & run" the ball more here than on the nicely manicured courses of the US
Cheers ... Paul

PXG 3 5 7 Woods 
PXG Closer Putter

I think they have a major (?) error in the way they calculate the "Approaching the green" category. To me - that means your accuracy on your regulation shot into the green. So your tee shot on a Par 3, second on a Par 4 and third into a Par 5? But GG calculates it differently, I think its just as soon as a shot gets within a certain yardage its automatically "counted". I had two shots yesterday, a tee shot on a short Par 4 and a second shot on a long Par 5, that both ended up within 20 yards or so of the green. But they counted those shots as my "Approaching the green" shot - as opposed to my 2nd into a Par 4 and my 3rd into a Par 5?

This makes no sense to me.

edit - GG has said that any shot within 50 yards of the green will count as your ATG shot. This, again, makes no sense to me.

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1417560074' post='10533107']
I think they have a major (?) error in the way they calculate the "Approaching the green" category. To me - that means your accuracy on your regulation shot into the green. So your tee shot on a Par 3, second on a Par 4 and third into a Par 5? But GG calculates it differently, I think its just as soon as a shot gets within a certain yardage its automatically "counted". I had two shots yesterday, a tee shot on a short Par 4 and a second shot on a long Par 5, that both ended up within 20 yards or so of the green. But they counted those shots as my "Approaching the green" shot - as opposed to my 2nd into a Par 4 and my 3rd into a Par 5?

edit - GG has said that any shot within 50 yards of the green will count as your ATG shot. This, again, makes no sense to me.
[/quote]

Got to agree, seems a better method would be any shot from less than your second longest clubs average.

Tags installed...WRXrs followed...rain this weekend...

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

[/quote]

It's far from perfect. Use your criticism constructively, and make suggestions to the GAMEGOLF team.

They definitely listen to their users and constantly look for new ways to improve the unit.

Cheers!

[/quote]

Interesting. I don't think a tee shot on a par 4 should ever count as an approach shot, but 2nd on a par 5 not sure how it would know if you're going for it and didn't reach or could never reach.

I think in the grand scheme of things with many data points it really won't matter but a percent or two in your stats, if that.

I agree in general but the tee shot into a short Par 4 - seems pretty common? GG said they will look into it. I do like the feature suggestion part of their website though. Not sure how often they look at it though.

One thing I would like to see is the ability to manually enter your putt distances. I dont like the idea of doing this with GPS - the general margin of error is just too great to make it worthwhile. But if you could manually enter each length, that would be pretty cool and would start to give you some really good stats.

GG got delivered today, going to get it set up and take it out for my round tomorrow. One thing I thought about today, is there a way you can tell it in post round editing that it was a chip shot say and not say a full wedge shot? How does it prevent your yardages from getting all jacked up?
I'm not sure this works as you say? - I chip around the green with my 7iron & after 16 rounds my Average Distance for 7 iron is 32yards - I did contact Support about this & they told me it was something they were hoping to find a solution to? - I have read (probably in this thread?) that some people are carrying one of the "spare" tags in their pocket & using this when they play chip shots (or other partial shots) - I can't be bothered to do this & just accept (for now) that my 7 iron Average Distance is way off due to how much I use it for chipping ... Paul

There are two different reports you can look at, one gives you the average, the other uses the median.

On the web site, click the Insights link at the top. By default, that puts you into the Off the Tee report and shows you the average distance. If you click the Club Performance in the upper right, you can see it will switch to using the data more appropriate to the typical distance you get with that club. Here are my sand/lob wedges for example:

GAMEGOLFAnalysis_zpsb46c151c.png

[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1417822922' post='10550115']
Just a strange thought, but has anyone set up one of the extras for your sand shots and another for chipping? Maybe carry them in your pocket and just tap those before playing from the sand or chipping instead of your club of choice?
[/quote]

I thought about something along those lines - but its just too much work IMO.

One of the things I liked about using it was it was simple to use. I like that. I'm pretty confident they will add something like this to their features in the future.

One of the things i considered was what if they somehow converted future belt units into a GPS unit as well? You could easily fit a small LCD screen on there, maybe just FMB numbers?

I tend to judge a lot of electronics products - *especially* with new devices and/or new companies - but I tend to judge them heavily on customer service, their website, how they react to suggestions etc. In this regard, GG gets an A+. Quick answers to emails, lots of good information on their website and a pretty innovative way to "vote" for potential new features. Overall though, I think GG is a pretty cool device and I'm anxious to see what they have in store for 2015.

Getting this at $120 might have been my steal of the year.

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1417823463' post='10550135']
[/quote]

Amazon usually re-runs a few Black Friday deals every year. I keep hoping this is one of them.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Cobra F8 7W
Cobra F8 4H
Mizuno 919 Hot Metal 5-GW
Callaway MD3 54*
Callaway MD PM 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne

One of the things i considered was what if they somehow converted future belt units into a GPS unit as well? You could easily fit a small LCD screen on there, maybe just FMB numbers?

I tend to judge a lot of electronics products - *especially* with new devices and/or new companies - but I tend to judge them heavily on customer service, their website, how they react to suggestions etc. In this regard, GG gets an A+. Quick answers to emails, lots of good information on their website and a pretty innovative way to "vote" for potential new features. Overall though, I think GG is a pretty cool device and I'm anxious to see what they have in store for 2015.

[/quote]

100% A+ I was part of the Android dev testers; everyone in their organization is top notch!

[/quote]See, I'm glad that it doesn't have more bells and whistles. It is a good size. I have a rangefinder for yardages.

$120 was an absolute steal! I wouldn't have picked one up for any more than that.

I have a tee time for next weekend at Bryan Park and can't wait to use it.

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

I'm a lurker on GolfWRX, but decided to post a +1 regarding Game Golf. Got mine from Amazon last weekend when it was on sale and really like it after a few rounds. Like others, I had some tagging issues at first, but my nine hole round this morning required very few changes before I signed my card. The shot detection works great when I forget a tag.

I like the stats it offers, but as a data nerd I'd love to see more in the way of advanced metrics, like strokes gained. I put in a request for the round review to display distance remaining after each shot, which would at least let us calculate some of those stats.

I was hesitant to pay $200 for it, but I agree that it's a steal at $120 and, in my opinion, a good deal at the other slightly discounted prices I've seen on Amazon ($160-180ish)

I'm looking forward to getting more rounds in. And although I'm not a regular poster, I'll throw my GG profile out there too: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/TimInAZ

Tim

I've had mine for a few months now and think it's a great product! A few of the courses i play have had some changes in the past few years and the maps weren't quite up to date, but a quick email and they sort it out asap. Really good customer service. My brother lives on Australia but I think it's prety cool how he can go online and look at my rounds and I can do the same to him!
I'll post my profile too:

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/rodinho

Would be pretty cool to try and get some challenges going for everyone on WRX!