2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Game Golf tracking system (merged)

I did a quick search here but didn't find any help so if this is redundant I appologize in advance. I have about 25 rounds recorded so far. I have just been fit for new irons and a driver. So my question is this: Is it possible to compare the averages of the last 25 rounds to any future rounds? For example my old irons play about a club and a half shorter than my new ones so I'd be curious to see first what the average distance is between the two sets but also the accuracy to see if I'm more accurate with the new longer irons than the old.

I know you can look at the last 10, 20 etc but is there a way to compare say the most recent 5 to the previous 20?

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='KJLarry' timestamp='1431993648' post='11582122']
I did a quick search here but didn't find any help so if this is redundant I appologize in advance. I have about 25 rounds recorded so far. I have just been fit for new irons and a driver. So my question is this: Is it possible to compare the averages of the last 25 rounds to any future rounds? For example my old irons play about a club and a half shorter than my new ones so I'd be curious to see first what the average distance is between the two sets but also the accuracy to see if I'm more accurate with the new longer irons than the old.

I know you can look at the last 10, 20 etc but is there a way to compare say the most recent 5 to the previous 20?

[/quote]
as long as you dont delete your old clubs from your account, and just add the new clubs to your bag. if that makes sense. this way you can compare... you'll just have to tell the system what club is assigned to what tag.
this video explains it well... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD5WhIEI5Jw

[quote name='KJLarry' timestamp='1431993648' post='11582122']

[/quote]

On top of what kreinartz83 suggests you can also select specific rounds not just the last 5,10 etc rounds

Quick update...

My original Game Golf device had an issue locking on GPS. Received a replacement.

Locks on much better.

Played a couple of rounds and my positions were all over the place, sometimes off the course.

Contacted support and they "remapped" the course and the last two 18 rounds I maybe had to edit two or three locations where I was just in the fairway or just off. Totally a much better experience.

I have integrated tagging into my pre-shot routine, which means I don't need to do a lot of editing.

The information I am getting about my game is really helping we figure out how to attack the rounds differently. For example, the stats show a low GIR and a large percentage of the shots short (I always though my issue was missing left)...now I have started to club up and I am hitting more greens, which has lowered my scores in the last couple of weeks.

I feel this is worth the cost!!!!

Also feel that Game Golf support has been excellent on my issues.

Clark

WITB

TM Stealth 2 
Titleist 913FD 13.5
Titleist 913 H 19
Titleist 913 H 24
PXG Gen 1 5-G
Vokey SM8  54, 58

L.A.B. DF3 

The phone app isn't bad. The GPS feature was pretty darn close to my laser (Bushnell) but I think the fact the course I am playing is in the hills might have led to some "interesting" yardages. According to the values from the 1 round, I hit my 3W a distance span of 193-263. Now, I know some of these holes are uphill and into the wind, but I find a 70 yard span to be a bit questionable and makes me wonder if even though the app said it had tagged already I wasn't actually tagged until I reached a slightly better signal spot on the course (i.e. after leaving the tee box)?

I should go back in and move things around a bit (i.e. pins to where they were), but for a first time it wasn't too far off most of the time. The only place I found an issue was tagging in grenade bunkers or just on the green and being marked as either off the green or in a bunker while standing on the green. :)

Not a bad app but I really have to remember to start with the battery at 100% every round. The phone went from 100->41% during one round in 5 hours.

I don't spend any time setting the pins or putts where they were on the green. I don't see value in it since I don't think the GPS is accurate enough to measure putts.

I really only care about being on the green to count putts and stats.

If they had a way to measure putts, that would be a different story.

Clark

WITB

TM Stealth 2 
Titleist 913FD 13.5
Titleist 913 H 19
Titleist 913 H 24
PXG Gen 1 5-G
Vokey SM8  54, 58

L.A.B. DF3 

[quote name='Clark55810' timestamp='1432747634' post='11636520']
I don't spend any time setting the pins or putts where they were on the green. I don't see value in it since I don't think the GPS is accurate enough to measure putts.

I really only care about being on the green to count putts and stats.

If they had a way to measure putts, that would be a different story.

Clark
[/quote]

The only reason I would bother with setting pins would be for the accuracy values. A LOT of the pins I have been playing the last few rounds have been 4 paces on from the front/back in a corner, so even if I missed a green short by a couple feet and only had a 15 foot putt/chip, it would consider it outside the "accuracy" circles. A couple of my misses to the front were actually closer than what my value states ... even if I did stink up the greens putting most of the day. :)

I tried the app for a couple of rounds and if it worked for me I was going to go with the second set of tags and be in for much less than the original unit, but I had to end up editing 90% of the holes after the round, and then I would save and the holes would have to be edited again because somehow shots moved on their own. For instance, it would have me 30 yards left of a teebox and then left of the green with my next shot, so I would go in and move my 1st shot to the teebox and my next one to where I was on the green and save. When I would then go back and open it again, it will have moved both of those shots to somewhere completely different. Very strange.

Think I'll keep looking for something else.

I've used Game Golf now for over 25 rounds. It does a decent enough job of tracking your shots and game in general. I always find though that I have to do quite a bit of editing as it's GPS is not so accurate.
Now, if Game Golf could grab two satellites systems, GPS and GLONASS (Russian GPS), as does my Garmin Edge 1000 for my road bike, then we would be really signing its praises. It would drain a little more of the battery but it would be much more accurate. You would get faster locks too.

GPS accuracy is my biggest concern. They claim the accuracy of the GPS in the unit is better than the GPS in the smart phones but as far off as the app was when I tried it a couple of times I am still very skeptical. I don't mind editing a little, but just about every hole????

You guys using the game golf unit in the rain? Any concerns with doing so? How about the tags? Any issue with them and water/wet conditions?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

No issues with weather imo. I've only played in the rain once and it was underneath my overshirt, so no problems, Mark Crossfield rocks his in weather I would never play in again underneath his raingear. The tags themselves are rfid chips(size of a rice grain) embedded in plastic, you could leave them in your pool and they would be fine.

G425 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
TEE CBX19 16.5*
Sub70 699U 19.5*
P770 5-P
Exo #7

[quote name='Cuki' timestamp='1432769771' post='11639132']
I've used Game Golf now for over 25 rounds. It does a decent enough job of tracking your shots and game in general. I always find though that I have to do quite a bit of editing as it's GPS is not so accurate.
Now, if Game Golf could grab two satellites systems, GPS and GLONASS (Russian GPS), as does my Garmin Edge 1000 for my road bike, then we would be really signing its praises. It would drain a little more of the battery but it would be much more accurate. You would get faster locks too.
[/quote]

Most smartphones have been using both GPS and GLONASS or several years... along with wifi assisted and cellular the cellphones accuracy is actually pretty damn good...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_smartphones_supporting_GLONASS_navigation

[quote name='rvs0002' timestamp='1432761009' post='11638246']
I tried the app for a couple of rounds and if it worked for me I was going to go with the second set of tags and be in for much less than the original unit, but I had to end up editing 90% of the holes after the round, and then I would save and the holes would have to be edited again because somehow shots moved on their own. For instance, it would have me 30 yards left of a teebox and then left of the green with my next shot, so I would go in and move my 1st shot to the teebox and my next one to where I was on the green and save. When I would then go back and open it again, it will have moved both of those shots to somewhere completely different. Very strange.

Think I'll keep looking for something else.
[/quote]

That sounds like some mapping problems with the course. Try to contact them and tell them about your problems (best with a round that hasn't been edited).
Somehow when the course isn't mapped correctly this can happen.

[quote name='phil75070' timestamp='1432769905' post='11639148']
GPS accuracy is my biggest concern. They claim the accuracy of the GPS in the unit is better than the GPS in the smart phones but as far off as the app was when I tried it a couple of times I am still very skeptical. I don't mind editing a little, but just about every hole????
[/quote]
I actually returned my first GameGolf device last year because of this. I got a new one this year and it seems to be much better. Sometimes I do get off-readings (one tee shot was from the middle of Africa to the UK ;-) but most holes are fine and I don't have to do any editing or very little.

[quote name='kreinartz83' timestamp='1432783212' post='11640744']
[quote name='Cuki' timestamp='1432769771' post='11639132']
[/quote]

Most smartphones have been using both GPS and GLONASS or several years... along with wifi assisted and cellular the cellphones accuracy is actually pretty damn good...
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_smartphones_supporting_GLONASS_navigation"]http://en.wikipedia....NASS_navi[/url][/quote]

Does anyone know if GameGolf or any smartphone supports WAAS or EGNOS? Probably not.
I guess we will see the next improvement in accuracy when [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_%28satellite_navigation%29"]Galileo[/url] is operational but you would need new hardware for that I think.

Agree with ParHunter. Contact support once you have uploaded a round and prior to editing. They can look at the raw data from the device (or phone) and compare the mapping done on the course.

My guess is that they have some type of automated program (or purchase the data) and the mapping is not precise for some courses.

It made a HUGE difference on the course I play with the Game Golf classic device.

Clark

WITB

TM Stealth 2 
Titleist 913FD 13.5
Titleist 913 H 19
Titleist 913 H 24
PXG Gen 1 5-G
Vokey SM8  54, 58

L.A.B. DF3 

[quote name='derek08844' timestamp='1433117629' post='11663054']
Anyone hear anything about the next iteration and what it'll be adding? Or would it not be worth it to wait
[/quote]
there are no announced plans for the next gen... so i would go ahead and get the current gen system, cuz it will be a long wait.

I was thinking today, would it possible to eliminate tagging? Think about this:

If the GG unit constantly records data from all clubs in your bag, the data should pick up when a shot was taken because one of the club was swung and some form of data should be generated (I.e swing speed).

Since the remaining set of tags/clubs is sitting idle, the GG unit should be able to recognise which club was used.

As most people would do a few practice swings before each shot, maybe the GG algorithm should only take the data from last swing at that location etc etc

Obviously this will drain the GG unit battery more quickly, but u don't need to wear the unit on your belt, maybe a bigger unit in the bag would be ok?

Thoughts?

Callaway Epic Subzero 9.5° [i]Oban Devotion 65-04[/i]
Tour Edge Exotics XCG-7 15° [i]Oban Devotion 75-04[/i]
Miura 1957 Small Blades 3-PW [i]Nippon Modus 125S[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM5 52.08 [i]KBS Tour 120S[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM5 58.07 [i]KBS Tour 120S[/i]
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 34"

[quote name='3riC' timestamp='1433598478' post='11700100']
I was thinking today, would it possible to eliminate tagging? Think about this:

If the GG unit constantly records data from all clubs in your bag, the data should pick up when a shot was taken because one of the club was swung and some form of data should be generated (I.e swing speed).

Since the remaining set of tags/clubs is sitting idle, the GG unit should be able to recognise which club was used.

As most people would do a few practice swings before each shot, maybe the GG algorithm should only take the data from last swing at that location etc etc

Obviously this will drain the GG unit battery more quickly, but u don't need to wear the unit on your belt, maybe a bigger unit in the bag would be ok?

Thoughts?
[/quote]
Game golf does not work like that... However the Arccos system does work that way... It uses your phone GPS and a more sophisticated sensor in the club to tell when the swing happens only on Apple for now... The game golf tags are nothing more than a memory card that sends into to the device to tell it what club it is, that is all... The device, or phone does the rest of the work

Ahh I see now, I initially thought the tags would produce some type of data

So I'm guessing when u tag a shot, your telling the unit to record its location...

Callaway Epic Subzero 9.5° [i]Oban Devotion 65-04[/i]
Tour Edge Exotics XCG-7 15° [i]Oban Devotion 75-04[/i]
Miura 1957 Small Blades 3-PW [i]Nippon Modus 125S[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM5 52.08 [i]KBS Tour 120S[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM5 58.07 [i]KBS Tour 120S[/i]
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 34"

[quote name='3riC' timestamp='1433652879' post='11704192']
Ahh I see now, I initially thought the tags would produce some type of data

So I'm guessing when u tag a shot, your telling the unit to record its location...
[/quote]

Correct, however, when I was using game golf, it would upload potential shots if they noticed shots being taken without tagging. On a local course, where the fifth hole runs parallel to the range, I would take my 8 iron and hit wayward golf balls back onto the range. When I uploaded that round, game golf had recorded each of those "shots" as potential shots without tagging.

However, I was able to sample Arccos and even though it also recorded my hitting balls back to the range, it also allowed me to delete those shots immediately on the course. After playing 10+ rounds with each, I prefer the Arccos system to the game golf system.

I like it better because with Game golf, you can tag before or after a shot, but if you forget if you tagged prior to the shot and retag after, it will count two strokes. I have been using the same preshot routine for over 20 years and I found the tagging very intrusive to my routine.

After 70 rounds with Game Golf I'm still loving this product.

I just finished off 4 days in a row of playing. I've been learning a new swing (The Leadbetter A Swing) and am starting to get the hang of it.

Thursday-Sunday I shot 81, 85, 81, 84. Today was the best day, had 2 blow up holes, triple on #3 and a triple on #15. Take those 2 holes away and I would have had a great finishing round (could have been a 78, I need to stay out of the trees).

I did have 86% FIR, 50% GIR, 1.83 putts and 22% scrambling, 0% sand saves (need to work on the bunker play).

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/gigemaggs99/round/382260"]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/gigemaggs99/round/382260[/url]

Played a different course on Thursday, Par 71, Fri-Sun was par 72 so for me my total was 331, par would be 287, +44. I'll take it.

What's In The Bag 

Driver:  Cobra LTDx 9*  ||  FWs:  Cleveland 3 Hy-wood 18*

Hybrid:  Titleist TS2 23*  ||  Irons:  Srixon Z565 6-PW

Wedges*:  Cleveland 588 RTX CB 50*/10* & 58*/12* Black Pearl  ||  PutterΨPing Anser 

Ball: Pro V1x, Srixon Q-star tour, & Kirkland    ||  Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite white/royal

so... either it is time for a new phone or time to nut up and buy the game golf device... my phone will not make it through a round in my pocket, it overheats and shuts down... it isnt going to get any cooler in texas this summer... it was 100 today. i limped the phone around puttiting it in the cup holder for most of the round and taking it with me to tag, i was playing by myself so i wasnt worried about slowing anyone down... it was really a hassle to remember it or go back to the cart to get it... phone made it through 14 holes then went into safe mode so i just took a mental note of what club and what location i was at and filled the rest in once i got home.
so... anyone want to sell me their device? i have the tags already lol, or maybe ill sell the tags if someone wants them. i figure ill have the device asap. playing a lot of golf this month...

[quote name='kreinartz83' timestamp='1433815656' post='11715662']
so... either it is time for a new phone or time to nut up and buy the game golf device... my phone will not make it through a round in my pocket, it overheats and shuts down... it isnt going to get any cooler in texas this summer... it was 100 today. i limped the phone around puttiting it in the cup holder for most of the round and taking it with me to tag, i was playing by myself so i wasnt worried about slowing anyone down... it was really a hassle to remember it or go back to the cart to get it... phone made it through 14 holes then went into safe mode so i just took a mental note of what club and what location i was at and filled the rest in once i got home.
so... anyone want to sell me their device? i have the tags already lol, or maybe ill sell the tags if someone wants them. i figure ill have the device asap. playing a lot of golf this month...
[/quote]

I guess that was the business model behind the GameGolf app - get them hooked ;-)

My Game Golf is arriving later this week / early next week, and I had a question re: penalty shots. How do these work in the system? Do you go in after your round and manually add them?

I'm excited to get this thing!

Ping G425 Max, 12* set to 13.5*, Tensei AV Raw Orange 65 R
Ping G425 Max 5 wood, 17.5* set to 18.5*, Tensei AV Raw Orange 75 S

Titleist 818h1 23* set to 24*, Project X Evenflow Blue S

Ping i210 4-UW, Nippon Modus 105S, Black Dot
Titleist Vokey SM7 54* 14F, 58* 12D Wedge Flex
Evnroll ER6B

Titleist Pro V1

[quote name='gophers79' timestamp='1433877225' post='11720250']
My Game Golf is arriving later this week / early next week, and I had a question re: penalty shots. How do these work in the system? Do you go in after your round and manually add them?

I'm excited to get this thing!
[/quote]

Very easy. You just play the hole as normal, tag from where you hit your next shot and then add either +1 or +2 penalty shots when you upload and review your game. It took me a few times to figure out not tagging your second drive if you hit one OB. Tag the first drive and if it goes OB, reload but don't tag your second drive and then tag your next shot. When you upload add +2 penalties to your first drive.

Go to the website and watch the videos. They explain most of the functions. I really like the system. It's helped me planning how to play certain holes and gives great information on club distances.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs