2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Golf Smith Tour Cavity Forged

ping8153

I was in my garage the other day and I found my old set of GS Tour Cavity Forged. I had taken the shafts out years ago and they were just the heads. I have since reshafted them and such. I was looking for information on them in case I wanted to sell them. I have since found out they were designed by Tom Wishon when he worked with GS, and are 1020 forged???? I am hoping someone out there, maybe Tom himself can give the complete scoop on these irons as the information I found was not 100% sure.

Thanks

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ping8153' timestamp='1390590925' post='8524719']
I was in my garage the other day and I found my old set of GS Tour Cavity Forged. I had taken the shafts out years ago and they were just the heads. I have since reshafted them and such. I was looking for information on them in case I wanted to sell them. I have since found out they were designed by Tom Wishon when he worked with GS, and are 1020 forged???? I am hoping someone out there, maybe Tom himself can give the complete scoop on these irons as the information I found was not 100% sure.

Thanks
[/quote]

I assume you are talking about the model that had the somewhat "rough texture" surface in the back cavity. if so, yes, I remember this model. Although you have to forgive me in the hundreds of different models I now have designed since starting in 1986, I can't remember all the little specifics about each one. But I remember a few more things about this one because the forged iron models I designed seem to stand out a little more, probably because one does not do nearly as many forged iron designs in a career as one does investment cast designs! So they end up being perhaps a little more memorable.

I do remember putting the most rounded sole design (face to back direction) on these that I had ever ground on an iron up to that point. I did that so these would be able to always be as playable on southern grasses as on northern grasses too. that also allowed anyone to really swing steep at the ball if necessary like from rough without as much chance of digging or the sole hanging up in the grass/turf.

I also remember these were a little larger in overall size than pretty much any forged cavity back that had been done by any other company previously. In fact I remember when we were in final testing that I really started to have thoughts as to whether they were too large and needed to be brought down. But when no one else close to the project even mentioned anything about size, I just let that go and didn't change anything size or profile wise.

I also remember using the raw #3 and 4 in this set to make the 3 and 4 iron in Scott Verplank's custom set in - shoot, I can't remember if that was 97 or 98. ANyway, Scott's set was a custom grind set using the raw cavity backs for the 3 and 4 and then the musclebacks I designed for Golfsmith for the 5 through wedge. That was his go to set during some good money winning years for him in the late 90s and into 2000 and even for a year after Golfsmith's owners refused to re sign him when his contract was up in 2001. Still can't believe they didn't re sign him because he wasn't asking that much more. But it wasn't my money and the brothers who owned GS back then were cut from a little different cloth, so it was what it was.

Anyway glad you like the TC forged and thanks for bringing that up so I could have a short little stroll down an old memory lane!

TOM

I still have a set of heads around somewhere too. No wonder they worked so well. lol

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='TomWishon' timestamp='1390597771' post='8525357']

Thanks
[/quote]

I assume you are talking about the model that had the somewhat "rough texture" surface in the back cavity. if so, yes, I remember this model. Although you have to forgive me in the hundreds of different models I now have designed since starting in 1986, I can't remember all the little specifics about each one. But I remember a few more things about this one because the forged iron models I designed seem to stand out a little more, probably because one does not do nearly as many forged iron designs in a career as one does investment cast designs! So they end up being perhaps a little more memorable.

I do remember putting the most rounded sole design (face to back direction) on these that I had ever ground on an iron up to that point. I did that so these would be able to always be as playable on southern grasses as on northern grasses too. that also allowed anyone to really swing steep at the ball if necessary like from rough without as much chance of digging or the sole hanging up in the grass/turf.

I also remember these were a little larger in overall size than pretty much any forged cavity back that had been done by any other company previously. In fact I remember when we were in final testing that I really started to have thoughts as to whether they were too large and needed to be brought down. But when no one else close to the project even mentioned anything about size, I just let that go and didn't change anything size or profile wise.

I also remember using the raw #3 and 4 in this set to make the 3 and 4 iron in Scott Verplank's custom set in - shoot, I can't remember if that was 97 or 98. ANyway, Scott's set was a custom grind set using the raw cavity backs for the 3 and 4 and then the musclebacks I designed for Golfsmith for the 5 through wedge. That was his go to set during some good money winning years for him in the late 90s and into 2000 and even for a year after Golfsmith's owners refused to re sign him when his contract was up in 2001. Still can't believe they didn't re sign him because he wasn't asking that much more. But it wasn't my money and the brothers who owned GS back then were cut from a little different cloth, so it was what it was.

Anyway glad you like the TC forged and thanks for bringing that up so I could have a short little stroll down an old memory lane!

TOM
[/quote]

I had the blades too! Wow, this is great...

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='TomWishon' timestamp='1390597771' post='8525357']

Thanks
[/quote]

TOM
[/quote]Thanks for the reply Tom, and yes they have the rough texture surface in the back.

lol. What a pleasant blast from the past. I built a set of those for my dad back in the day. They really were lovely clubs, and he must have used them for 7 or 8 years. Unfortunately I was too young and stubborn to enjoy them myself--back then I was still insisting on playing the purest, most unforgiving blades I could get my hands on. Oh well, live and learn.

[quote name='Go Cards!' timestamp='1390840058' post='8543051']
I remember these irons, a classic GS design. Here is a scan of the the specs from a 2000 Golfsmith Catalog that I still have, I promise that I am not a hoarder!!!

[attachment=2041163:GS Tour Cavity Forged Spec Sheet.JPG]
[/quote]Thank you for the specs!!! I copied them down for future use. The 48.5 is stamped on the toe of the PW so I calibrated back from that to guess what the lofts were. Very cool!!!! Thank you again.

Does anyone know anything about this version? I know they probably aren't a tom wishon deal but they're just sitting in my basement and this thread made me wonder.

[attachment=2041509:image.jpg]

Tour Issue 8.5* Ping G400 LST w/ Ventus Red 6s (RIP)

Ping G430 LST 9* w/ AutoFlex 505xx
Ping G430 LST 3 Wood w/ GD AD-HD 7s
19* Taylormade Sim Max Hybrid w/ Tensei Pro White 90s
22* Ping G430 w/ Aldila NV2KXV Orange 85s 
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 5-PW Accra i-Series 115
Mizuno Pro 223 GW 50*
Cobra Snakebite 55* & 59*
Odyssey White-Hot OG 7s  

[quote name='coghillcutter' timestamp='1390866590' post='8546363']
Does anyone know anything about this version? I know they probably aren't a tom wishon deal but they're just sitting in my basement and this thread made me wonder.

[/quote]

Found the Tour Cavity Pro in the 2001 catalog, will scan the page with the specs and post tomorrow.

Man I think I had this exact set of clubs back in mid 90's. A good friend used to build my clubs and he used nothing but Golfsmith and Maltby heads. I had those tour cavity heads with TT lite shafts tipped and also had a 3 wedge set at 50, 54, and 62. Those were stoled from my car in 99 and never played anything like them. And my builder friend passed away in 2005 so those specs died with him.

Nice find man!!! Brings back good memories. Shot my only round in 60's with those a -2 round of 69.

DR

XR16 pro Kiyoshi White 60S
XR16 pro 16 Speeder 765s
Cleveland Launcher 21 Rifle 6.0
<br />2013 X Forged PXi 6.0 4-pw<br />MD chrome 50, MD Chrome 54, MD2 Slate 58<br />Versa BWB #1 W 34"

[quote name='Go Cards!' timestamp='1390882552' post='8548505']

[/quote]

Found the Tour Cavity Pro in the 2001 catalog, will scan the page with the specs and post tomorrow.
[/quote]

Awesome! Thanks!

Mizuno Pro 223 GW 50*
Odyssey White-Hot OG 7s  

[quote name='coghillcutter' timestamp='1390913583' post='8549503']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Awesome! Thanks!
[/quote]

Please let me know if you are interested in getting rid of these...

Thanks,
Steven

[quote name='Go Cards!' timestamp='1390928415' post='8550979']
[quote name='coghillcutter' timestamp='1390913583' post='8549503']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Awesome! Thanks!
[/quote]

Please let me know if you are interested in getting rid of these...

Thanks,
Steven
[/quote]

I want to hit them and check them out first. Plus they hold some sentimental value, that's why they've been in the basement. If I do sell though ill contact you first

Mizuno Pro 223 GW 50*
Odyssey White-Hot OG 7s  

lol. You jerks just cost me $36.99.

Not exactly either of the models above (a little older I think? Maybe someone can chime in or one of our resident hoarders can post the specs), but I even got the Verplank make up. CB 3&4 irons, blades 5-LW. I'll let you know how they play once they're shafted up and spring comes. I'm thinking KBS90s for shafts, and sometime in May or June for "spring".....

$_57.JPG

[quote name='jmck' timestamp='1391010412' post='8557737']
lol. [url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Golfsmith-Professional-Grind-Tour-Cavity-Pro-Forged-Iron-Heads-set-/131103770460?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=qbgGh1wHQ8qANndBLYWFOA6K3W4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc"]You jerks just cost me $36.99.[/url]

Not exactly either of the models above (a little older I think? Maybe someone can chime in or one of our resident hoarders can post the specs), but I even got the Verplank make up. CB 3&4 irons, blades 5-LW. I'll let you know how they play once they're shafted up and spring comes. I'm thinking KBS90s for shafts, and sometime in May or June for "spring".....
[/quote]

Sorry to tell you but the cavity back Tour Cavitys in that photo are the INVESTMENT CAST STAINLESS STEEL model that I designed in that same time period and are not the forged carbon steel Tour Cavitys that are shown earlier in this thread. But the blade musclebacks in the photo are definitely forged CS and were the model of blades that Verplank played. Verplank's 2, 3, 4 were the forged Tour Cavity, not these cast ones in the photo.

However, if it makes you feel better, the cast Tour Cavity irons were the heads played by Bruce Lietzke in the late 90s and early 00s.

TOM

i have the 5-PW of the Golfsmith Tour Cavity irons....unfortunately i misplaced the 3 and 4 iron somewhere while practicing. they sit in my closet until i decide to one day look for replacements and complete the set again. sweet clubs. it's a shame golfsmith has fallen off from their days in the late 90s and early 2000s. top class component company that made some noise on the PGA Tour

product_76543.jpg

9* Synchron Revolver
14* Dynacraft Avatar
2-PW Titleist 690MB
56* & 60* Nike SV
Bobby Grace DCT Sunset
Innovex V Motion Tour

• 1 year later...

[quote name='Go Cards!' timestamp='1390928154' post='8550959']
Here is a scan of the GS Tour Cavity Pro irons from the 2001 catalog, hope this helps.

[attachment=2042413:GS Tour Cavity Pro Iron Spec Sheet.JPG]
[/quote]

Than ks for this post. I just found a set of these (4-SW) at Goodwill at $2.99 per club.

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

• 1 year later...

Sorry for the bump but I was wondering around and saw this realized that these irons (Original Tour Cavity Forged) are still USGA tournament legal since they have V Grooves despite them being almost a 20 year old design.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

• 1 year later...

Sorry if I missed the info, but are these Tour Cavity Forged heads grove legal for today? Looking to re-shaft my old set with the new KBS 580 junior shafts for my HS Daughter. I also have a black snake eyes forged 60* from the same time period that is still one of my favorite wedges, and actually my HS Daughter has a fond liking of it also.