Spiked vs. Spikeless Golf Shoes

golfercole ·  
golfercolegolfercole  75WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 75
Sup Guys,

So it's time for me to get new golf shoes so should I go spiked or spikeless? Either way, what brand? Would love to see your votes. Thanks.
Posted:
M1 460//Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 6x
SLDR 3w//GDDI 7x
M1 3Hybrid//Kuro Kage 8x
Mizuno MP-4(7-PW), MP-15(4-6)//C-TaperX

Comments

• AndrewGaspAndrewGasp  29WRX Points: 0Handicap: 15Members Posts: 29
    I just grabbed a pair of Puma FAAS Lite Mesh Spikelss and they are fantastic. Wouldn't think of wearing them on wet days but for hot dry days they are a life saver, so light and comfortable it's like playing in bare feet.
    Posted:
    Callaway X Hot 10.5*
    Callaway RAZR X Black 15* & 19*
    Adams Idea Tech V3 22* Hybrid
    Ping G25 4 - SW
    Ping Ketsch
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • CrowboyCrowboy  547WRX Points: 83Members Posts: 547 Golden Tee
    based on the spikes or spikeless - is there a height difference when you have them on? In other words if you go from spikeless to shoes with spikes, will your clubs feel a 1/4 inch shorter?
    Posted:
  • AndrewGaspAndrewGasp  29WRX Points: 0Handicap: 15Members Posts: 29
    Crowboy wrote:

based on the spikes or spikeless - is there a height difference when you have them on? In other words if you go from spikeless to shoes with spikes, will your clubs feel a 1/4 inch shorter?

I don't notice a difference. I play some spiked Nike's for wet days, and spikeless low profile Pumas on hot dry days... I guess one could argue that on the wet days my spikes dig in that extra height but I can't prove anything other than when I play regardless of which shoes I am wearing I don't feel/notice a difference in the club length, just the feel of my foot/traction etc.
    Posted:
    Callaway X Hot 10.5*
    Callaway RAZR X Black 15* & 19*
    Adams Idea Tech V3 22* Hybrid
    Ping G25 4 - SW
    Ping Ketsch
  • cweeecweee weeee  245WRX Points: 2Members Posts: 245 Bunkers
    once you go spikeless, you'll never (at least for a year) go back...

spikeless - Nike FI Impact

spiked - Adidas pure360

you're welcome.
    Posted:
  • martinbnsmartinbns  1979WRX Points: 32Handicap: 8.2Members Posts: 1,979 Platinum Tees
    I'm a big fan of the various Adidas 360 series.
    Posted:
    Big Bertha Alpha 815 Speeder 565 R
    BB Alpha 815 14 set +1 draw Speeder 665 S
    19 & 23 X2Hot Callaway
    5 to Gap JPX825
    Scotty Kombi
    54/10 Rotex 2.0 56 Tmag ATV
  • DD4442DD4442  380WRX Points: 74Members Posts: 380 Greens
    Agree with the Puma Faas mesh (though I voted Ecco as my go to golf shoe). Don't even untie them. Slippers for the golf course.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • Edaw68Edaw68  1593WRX Points: 222Handicap: 5Members Posts: 1,593 Platinum Tees
    I'm newly converted to spikeless after being cynical about it. I picked up a pair of Footjoy Mprojects at golflocker.com on clearance. No issues with grip or balance, much more comfortable. Spikeless from here on out.
    Posted:
  • beluga99beluga99 If Matrix was here, he'd laugh too...  998WRX Points: 164Handicap: 4.7Members Posts: 998 Golden Tee
    Another vote for the non mesh FAAS Lite. A great all rounder in both dry and wet. Super comfy as well. I have the Nike Lunar Control II also which are fantastic but the Puma edges them for comfort.
    Posted:
    G400
    917 F2
    i25 5w
    Anser 23
    5 HMB
    MP 20 MMC 6-P
    SM7 52F 56F 60D
    Rossi
  • buckeyeflbuckeyefl  6103WRX Points: 1,101Members Posts: 6,103 Titanium Tees
    Crowboy wrote:

This can be a real issue with any shoes. Different thickness in the sole plus the spikes can throw some people off.
    Posted:
  • jmoore22jmoore22  503WRX Points: 0Unregistered Posts: 503
    Footjoy icon spikeless I have these and they have great traction and also very comfortable to wear anywhere
    Posted:
  • jrpwajrpwa  97WRX Points: 0Handicap: 10Members Posts: 97
    I am trying to decide this exact thing right now. Just got back from trying on about 5 pairs of each and still have no clue on which I like better.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • boffinboffin boffin  118WRX Points: 0Handicap: 18Members Posts: 118
    I love the styles of spikeless shoes, but in wet conditions I have lost my footing during my swing on a number of occasions, so now for choice I head for spikes.
    Posted:
    Ping G30 10.5 deg and 22 deg TFC419
    Titleist 915F 16.5 deg Aldila Rogue 70R
    Titleist AP1 5-P
    Vokey 50 deg, 54 deg, 56 deg
    Cleveland 588 60 deg
    Scotty Fastback 1.5
  • BigHunkBigHunk  335WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 335
    Early morning rounds I always wear spikes,afternoons in the summer are spikeless.

Icons spikes & ashworth cardiff spikeless.
    Posted:
    TM R1 Tp
    Miura CB501's W/recoil proto's
    Miura 52,56,60
    Machine Damascus Steel
  • razz11razz11  340WRX Points: 69Handicap: 7.0Members Posts: 340 Bunkers
    New Balance Minimus spikeless here. I went with the Sport model, so in rain I wear my Adidas 360s... I love 0-4mm drop shoes, but some people do not. I haven't found a pair of spikes that can beat the 360s and I have tried a lot!
    Posted:
    Titleist 909 D2 Diamana Blueboard
    Titleist 909 F2 Diamana Blueboard
    Mizuno MP69 3-P S300
    Nike Engage 52 S - 56 TS - 60 S
    Guerin Rife Cayman Brac
    Sun Mountain SwiftX
    Taylormade Tour Preferred
  • razz11razz11  340WRX Points: 69Handicap: 7.0Members Posts: 340 Bunkers
    Honestly, find a brand/model that fits your foot and go with it. I'm a Nike junkie, but 90% of their shoes are too narrow for me. I also just heard last week (from a reputable running/sport shoe fitter) that Nike really hasn't made a good shoe until the last 6-8 months...
    Posted:
    Titleist 909 D2 Diamana Blueboard
    Titleist 909 F2 Diamana Blueboard
    Mizuno MP69 3-P S300
    Nike Engage 52 S - 56 TS - 60 S
    Guerin Rife Cayman Brac
    Sun Mountain SwiftX
    Taylormade Tour Preferred
  • JCoxJCox  13WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 13
    I just switched to the Ecco Biom hybrids and love them. They are the most comfortable shoe I have ever had on my feet. I purchased a set of the green and white and a set of the blue and white and couldn't be happier. I wore my green ones to work the other day just to break them in and had no problems at all. I went to the range that afternoon and they performed as good as they felt. Excellent shoe.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • ZacR88ZacR88  253WRX Points: 0Handicap: 4.7Members Posts: 253
    I always wore spikes, until I got a pair of Ashworth Cardiffs. Traction is the same for the most part, they are just way more comfortable than any spikes shoe I've had. I also feel the greens more beneath my feet when putting, might just be in my head but I actually putt better with spikeless shoes.
    Posted:
  • homergolfhomergolf Bay Village, OH 1702WRX Points: 125Handicap: 14Members Posts: 1,702 Platinum Tees
    boffin wrote:

I love the styles of spikeless shoes, but in wet conditions I have lost my footing during my swing on a number of occasions, so now for choice I head for spikes.

Agree 100%. I really like my spikeless Ecco Bioms, but in wet conditions, I find spikes (Footjoy Sport)to be necessary. If you are only going to have one pair of golf shoes, you should have spiked. If more than one pair, then for comfort, Ecco spikeless are hard to beat.
    Posted:
    TS2 driver, 9.5, set at 10.25
    Epic Flash 3-wood, 15
    Epic Flash Heavenwood, 20
    G410 4h, 22
    AP3, 5-48*
    SM6 54, 10
    SM6 60, 8
    SC GoLo 3, 33"

...for now
  • gambitgambit  4407WRX Points: 234Members Posts: 4,407 Titanium Tees
    I just played in my Ecco Street Premieres from when they first came out. Still super comfortable and no worries about slippage in dry weather.

Anyone try the Adidas 360 Gripmore?
    Posted:
  • CHRIS509CHRIS509  781WRX Points: 0ClubWRX Posts: 781
    Personally I will never buy "spiked" shoes again. I have 3 pairs of Ecco Street and have worn these in ALL weathers (UK) and had no problems with grip or comfort.

I will admit that I've had wets toes a few times but nothing to get up set about. I do play at a heathland course (Ferndown) with tight fairways and the rough is not that long so that helps.

In short grip and comfort.
    Posted:
  • Geaux GatorsGeaux Gators GEAUX GATORS  3772WRX Points: 111Handicap: 8Members Posts: 3,772 Titanium Tees
    I cant wear spikeless shoes for some reason.. probably all mental...but i have very... uh,,, loud feet...

I slip in all the spikeless shoes i have (i have several pair) so I play in the Ecco Bioms... LOVE THEM
    Posted:
    Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
    Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
    Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
    Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
    Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
    Ping Sigma2 Tyne
    Chromesoft Truvis

Advertisement
  • iyi4iyianiyi4iyian  921WRX Points: 82Members Posts: 921 Golden Tee
    i went spikeless not expecting to like them but i could never go back to spiked cleats now
    Posted:
    Driver: Taylormade M6 - 9º - Fuji Atmos Red Tour Spec 5s
    Fairway: Taylormade M6 - 15º - Fuji Atmos Black Tour Spec 7s
    Fairway: Taylormade M6 - 18º - Fuji Atmos Black Tour Spec 7s
    Irons: Taylormade P790 4-6 & P770 7-PW - DGTI S400
    Wedges: Taylormade Milled Grind Hi-Toe - 50º, 55º & 60º DGTI S400
    Putter: Taylormade Spider X Copper - 34 inches 
  • Geaux GatorsGeaux Gators GEAUX GATORS  3772WRX Points: 111Handicap: 8Members Posts: 3,772 Titanium Tees
    I hit a couple of balls today while waiting on a phone call from work.... I found that if narrow my stance, I had less slippage in my spikeless (i wear a spikeless pair of Eccos to work as my brown and grey shoes)

I still prefer the feel of my bioms as the shoe is more comfortable to me. The Biom Hydromax (now called the Biom Lace) is absolutely the most comfortable golf shoe I have ever worn
    Posted:
    Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
    Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
    Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
    Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
    Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
    Ping Sigma2 Tyne
    Chromesoft Truvis
  • Marc21GolfMarc21Golf  236WRX Points: 62Handicap: 12Members Posts: 236 Fairways
    Foot joy my joys spineless. I love them, wet or not, VERY comfortable
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.