Feet together while playing

I did this yesterday and today. Three weeks ago I shot 124. Today I shot 45 for 9 holes with a birdie and three pars. I don't know why it works, but when I put my feet together I feel like I am going to make crisp constact and I do as long as I hinge the club to 90 degrees when my left arm is parallel to the ground on takeaway. Then all I have to do is turn my torso, then turn it back to the ball and release club. SMACK! No lower body play whatsoever but the ball goes straight and far. It is unbelievable to realize that I can break 90 without setting up in a proper stance. WTF is this game?

Comments

• Petunia SprinklePetunia Sprinkle Future King of France Unregistered Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    When you stop doing something 'the way you're supposed to', and things get better, your idea of how things should be is likely incorrect.
  • RobertBaronRobertBaron Members Posts: 831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe your feet were too wide originally which limits your turn and release.

Also golf is incredibly mental and changing something in your swing can spark your brain for a moment. Doesn't mean it will last though. You probably won't play the same way next time with your feet together and you'll abandon it.

This is basically one form of a very important concept in golf: Angering the Golf Gods.

You think you've got it all figured out and you leave feeling pretty great. The Golf Gods hate that. But don't worry you'll feel their wrath next time you walk out to the course.
  • EnfynetEnfynet Bogey Golf Members Posts: 978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would guess you have a sway issue, which would cause you to lose your balance if you swung the same with your feet together.

I would encourage you to practice with your feet together, and gradually take a wider stance. You want to stay balanced, and the wider stance allows you to maintain balance with a longer swing.
    Power Play Warp Speed 10.5° / Brassie 13° / 5W 18° / Apollo Shadow Graphite RS / Lamkin Perma-Wrap ACE 3GEN Midsize [2750 kg·cm²]
    Dynacraft Prophet Tour 4i-PW / Apollo Shadow Lite RS / Lamkin Perma-Wrap ACE 3GEN Midsize
    [2825 kg·cm²]
    Professional Open 690 Series 52° / 56° / 60° / Apollo Hump S / Winn DriTac Midsize [2825 kg·cm²]
    Wright & Ditson Cash-In Putter / Leather wrapped pistol grip [My grandfather's putter]
  • nitramnitram Take Dead Aim Members Posts: 5,177 ✭✭
    Feet together "quiets" your lower body, forces you to rotate, and helps you sync things. All good stuff...
    JBeam BM-435 Blackout 9* Accra Tour-Z RPG 352
    TEE CBX 15* Accra Tour-Z RPG 382
    Bridgestone J33 Airmuscle 19* Veylix Rome 988X
    PING S55 4-9 DGTI X100
    Callaway MD4 Raw 46S, 52S, 56W, 60C DGTI 115
    Bettinardi Tour DASS Minovai 2.0
  • dualradiusdualradius Members Posts: 116 ✭✭
    Like others alluded to - helps keep things "in time" - as my old boss (head pro for a million years it seems) used to say.

You can't get all out of synch and still hit the ball correctly when feet are together. Gotta stay balanced - which means things need to happen with the right timing.
    DualRadius
    Overland Park, KS
  • dualradiusdualradius Members Posts: 116 ✭✭
    100 posts!! I feel like I should win something today.

image/yess.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':yess:' />
    DualRadius
    Overland Park, KS
  • EnfynetEnfynet Bogey Golf Members Posts: 978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dualradius wrote:

100 posts!! I feel like I should win something today.

image/yess.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':yess:' />

There you go!

https://www.getyarn.io/yarn-clip/39c411fa-772d-49f3-81eb-a2bb36d78011
    Power Play Warp Speed 10.5° / Brassie 13° / 5W 18° / Apollo Shadow Graphite RS / Lamkin Perma-Wrap ACE 3GEN Midsize [2750 kg·cm²]
    Dynacraft Prophet Tour 4i-PW / Apollo Shadow Lite RS / Lamkin Perma-Wrap ACE 3GEN Midsize
    [2825 kg·cm²]
    Professional Open 690 Series 52° / 56° / 60° / Apollo Hump S / Winn DriTac Midsize [2825 kg·cm²]
    Wright & Ditson Cash-In Putter / Leather wrapped pistol grip [My grandfather's putter]
  • Jp kJp k Members Posts: 205

I did this yesterday and today. Three weeks ago I shot 124. Today I shot 45 for 9 holes with a birdie and three pars. I don't know why it works, but when I put my feet together I feel like I am going to make crisp constact and I do as long as I hinge the club to 90 degrees when my left arm is parallel to the ground on takeaway. Then all I have to do is turn my torso, then turn it back to the ball and release club. SMACK! No lower body play whatsoever but the ball goes straight and far. It is unbelievable to realize that I can break 90 without setting up in a proper stance. WTF is this game?
    knees are meant for raising and lowering so if you knees are too close or too far eventually you will either go up and down or sway too much. Gradually widen until you are stable and I bet your ball striking will be even better.
  • CrisPy3CrisPy3 Members Posts: 432 ✭✭✭✭
    Bumping this topic...

I shot a 103 three weeks ago. Last weekend i shot an 89 with 2 changes - feet about a foot apart and standing closer to the ball (which then put my hands closer to/over my knees). I think most are correct in that it forces me to rotate...

It's almost as if my confidence goes up 10 fold just by doing this. When my feet are shoulder width apart, my minds eye sees/senses/feels the swing should be linear (meaning more straight back/through). When i stand with my feet together i feel like i need to swing in a circle...
  • bluedotbluedot Members Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hitting balls with the feet together is a time-honored practice drill to emphasize good balance and a controlled swing. It pairs nicely, too, with ideas like staying connected and a 9-to3 drill for crisp contact and a square clubface. I hit a half dozen or so balls this way as a warmup drill almost every time I play, and anytime things are going a little haywire in my swing.

Why this works in your case is impossible to say. Based on how you describe what you feel with your feet together, it may be that in a normal stance you are coming too far inside too quickly in an effort to overpower the ball. It's an incredibly common move that leads to over the top swings, two-way misses, and on and on. But it could be other stuff too. Might be a good time to find a good teacher and let him watch you swing both ways.
  • vmanvman Members Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you found some lower body stability with your feet together swings.This is a great exercise for all golfers and even better without golf shoes.
    CALLAWAY EPIC SUB ZERO 9*
    CALLAWAY X2 HOT 3 DEEP 14.5*
    CALLAWAY 815 HYBRID 18*
    CALLAWAY APEX 4-A
    CALLAWAY MD FORGED 52* 58*
    ODYSSEY TRIFORCE 2
  • ObeeObee ClubWRX Posts: 3,793 ClubWRX
    Great drill. Whenever I start to get out of sync, I go back to this drill. My stance gets wider and wider over time, and this helps me dial it back.
    PING G400 Max - Tour 65 S
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Titleist H1 19* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Titleist H1 23* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
    Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
    Don Wood Custom Grind 47* PW
    Don Wood Custom Grind 51* GW
    Titleist "Vokey Design" 56* K Grind
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
    Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 78.5*)
  • kabal57kabal57 Members Posts: 475 ✭✭✭✭
    I especially like to use this for those medium range flop type shots, from 20-50 yards.

It works well for those because the contact is always crisp, usually a 9 to 3 backswing and finish and more often than not I'm on the green with a decent looking putt.

I don't know why it works, but it does for those types of shots for me.
  • brentkostabrentkosta Members Posts: 364
    Feet together will fix an outside to in or over the top swing. You probably drilled it into yourself to take a better swing path.

[font=comic sans ms,cursive]1W - Nike SQ Machspeed Black w/ Fubuki shaft[/font]
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]3W - Ol' Ratty Calloway Great Big Bertha [/font]
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]4Hy - TaylorMade Burner Superfast 21*[/font]
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Irons - TaylorMade Burner 2.0[/font]
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]SW - Cleveland CG15[/font]
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]LW - Cleveland CG12[/font]
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]P - 35" Odyssey White Hot RX #9 w/ SuperStroke 3.0 grip[/font]
  • golfing65golfing65 Validating - Unconfirmed, Members Posts: 1

Nothing wrong with playing with your feet together.You will look ridiculous but Moe Norman looked ridiculous and was one of the purest ball strikers of all time.Now he’s worshipped.They never asked you how they ask you how many.

• llewol007llewol007 4KidsGolfer ClubWRX Posts: 3,384 ClubWRX

It works to a certain point. The purpose of widening your stance when you get to a longer club such as your driver is really to create a wider foundation and also to incorporate your lower half of the swing to create more power. There were great players who had narrow stances that had successful golf careers but never a player who played with feet together who can hit it a great distance. See if you can incorporate the two and start to widen your stance more and more to where you have the benefit of added distance without losing what you have gained.

Cobra F8 9* Aldila Rogue 60 3.0 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 14.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.3 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 17.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.6 X Stiff
    Cobra Utility 20.5 DG AMT S300 Black HHx1
    Cobra MB/CB 4-PW DG AMT S300 Black HHx1
    Cobra Pur 52/58 S200 
    Odyssey Grim Reaper 
    Vice Pro+/Snell Mtbx

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights