Nippon ns pro vs modus

tdeane

You guys have much experience with these shafts. I have never have anything but TT DG shafts in my irons but I am very interested in the Nippon's. I hear they have great feel. Is there a big difference between the ns pro and the modus? Is it worth the big price jump?

Honest opinion, I could not believe I went cheaper.

So I went int a fitting wanting the modus 120's I REALLY REALLY wanted them.....

But I went to give it a shot.......

Went in with X100

Shafts I tested

KBS Tours Stiff

KBS Ctapers Stiff

PX 5.5 & 6.0

S300

Modus 120 Stiff

Modus 130 Stiff

NS Pro 1150GH Stiff

What I walked out with? NS Pro 1150GH

The NS Pro line period is a dream shaft, they feel wonderful, Modus or NS Pro they are both great. But the NS pro's gave me slightly better launch conditions for me personally. With that was almost $30 per shaft cheaper..... My whole set was half the cost of the Modus 120's....

while cost was not the deciding factor. It surely helped.

PX's felt so harsh. ( didnt like either)

KBS did not give me the proper spin, spun more.

Ctapers were similar to the X100 but felt a little more harsh (no point in changing from X100)

The S300 felt simialar to my X100 and not as harsh as the PX's

Modus120's were great felt great, did not launch properly for me.

So honest answer, is you gotta hit them and see for yourself. BUT, just because its cheaper does not mean is not as good.... more expensive does not always mean better.

GL!

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 659CB PW-4 KBS120 S
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

The ns pro 1150 gh stiff is Very Easy to launch high compared to DG. Mid+ spin.

He has a somewhat difficult time getting the ball to flight low. Feels great.

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

I play and love the 1150s myself. I don't think there is much difference between them and 120s as far as I can tell. Remember, the 1150s are mich different than the 950-1050 nspros. Them and modus will be. A better move from DG. I am nippon for life, best steel shafts going. Feel is awesome and you lose nothing over dg, maybe a touch higher.

I can't see you being disappointed with the right set of nippons.

I've had 1150 and most recently modus 120....I wasn't good fit for modus, a lot of these are specialty shafts to fit certain type of player....I actually like 1050 best but too light for me.....I am back in dynamic gold after over a year with nippons....modus 130 prolly be a better fit for me but too much money to experiment......DG more easily available and cheap....plus they work

Difference I felt between 1150 and 120 were 1150 felt softer in tip but stiffer in mid section....felt 120 has stiff tip but soft mid....butt section I couldn't feel a difference....if I had to pick the 1150 felt Lil firmer in butt.....kbs tour and modus 120 felt very similar to me....

I guess my question really should have been about Nippon vs. DG s300. I want something with a little more feel and slightly higher ball flight. Would the Nippon ns pro 1150gh be a good choice? Or maybe the 950 or 1050? Anyone with experience with both Nippon and DG that could weigh in would be much appreciated.

I guess my question really should have been about Nippon vs. DG s300. I want something with a little more feel and slightly higher ball flight. Would the Nippon ns pro 1150gh be a good choice? Or maybe the 950 or 1050? Anyone with experience with both Nippon and DG that could weigh in would be much appreciated.

Tdeane, I wonder if this post goes together with your other post about your MP67 =)

HHEEH Regardless, Here are my thoughts

1) The difference between the S300 & X100 are very minimal, the X100 have a little less spin and a slightly lower ball flight. - OK Got that out of the way

2) The Difference between the S300 and the NsPro Series in my opinion is the ball flight, Spin was similar when the ball was struck correctly for both, the NSpro DID spin more if I hit it a little more steep or I added to much spin loft etc, but again that was a swing issue more than a shaft issue. Back to the ball flight, The S300 to me has a little more flatter penetrating ball flight. The NSPro (this also depends on the models btw, 950,1050,1150,Modus 110, Modus 120, Modus 130 are all different) But generally they get the ball up higher faster rather than having a flatter initial start. When they reach the peak height it seems to hold that peak height longer and carry rather then the traditional flat then rising shot. So if you are looking for a ball that gets up quick than this is the shaft, if you still want that boring rising shot than the S300 might be preferred.

3) Bunch of side notes, Again each NS Pro model has a different setup, from but stiffness to tip stiffness, so you should try to read up on it and if you can hit the difference in feel.

4) The NSpro line is generally lighter in in all departments, when you look at S300 and up 120+ gram, outside of the Modus 130, Stiff in the NS pro line usually peaks @ 117grams. My 1150Gh Stiff is 115 grams, this was coming from 130gram X100 huge difference BUT.... was optimal for me.

5) Feel is unquestionably the best shaft I have ever felt, It is in no way harsh, but it does not lack feedback so you still have sensitivity from slight miss hits.

Ok Specifics, as I play the 1150GH Stiffs, again the specific difference from the fitting was peak height, with S300/X100 I was peaking @ 80-85ft. With the 1150GH I was peaking at 95-100ft, a 15 ft height difference, With the same spin, so a 6iron that should be spinning about 6000rpms, the 1150GH was about 6200rpms, the S300/X100 was about 5900-6000 on the money,

Biggest different, 7 yards extra carry due to the peak height, again since the ball got in the air faster and flattened out at the peak height the decent angle was less steeper, the ball ballooned much much less in comparison to a head wind shot where it was flat and would rise.....when it does that its going to balloon more, but with this flight its already in the air, so it wont peak out any more...it will just keep pushing through the wind. I was concerned the most about losing distance to the higher flight, but was surprised not at all.

Another specific concern was shaft flex, NS pro was known to play a little softer to flex..... but realistically....GolfWRXs often play stiffer than the norm, so if you went down a flex it wouldnt hurt you..... My Ego took a hit going from the X100....ooohhh tour pros.... yeah I have a day job..... So going to the stiff in NSpro, my ego hurt a little, but I am playing much much better golf...so at this point I dont care LOL!

Tdeane..... after all this BS....

1) Read up on what weight you want first. http://nipponshaft.com/ - 120+ or 120 -

brand_steel_a.png

2) Find out your preferred ball flight, and then choose the corresponding shaft.

brand_steel_graph_a.png

3) The Modus are Great and if you can get a great deal on them.. If not dont count out the Regular NS pro models...

modus125_i.png

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

The closest match would be the 1150GH X-flex to the DG S300. I have both. 1150GH S-flex will be lighter with slightly higher launch.

And I can retire.

• Haha 1

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Dg and nippons have nothing in common for me...Idk about modus 130 or 125 though.....all the others have a light crisp feel where Dg has heavy thumpy feel....I prefer the thumpy feel personally, but all nippons I hit were smooth.....and they have some of tightest tolerances in industry

125, 120 and SPO, SPB, 1150 are dg-ish. Minor changes here or there. Nippon was always the lightweight higher spin launch shaft. They had a cult following with the SPB which is lower launch and spin with smoother feel than DG. Modus kind of fills that area more with the heavier stuff made for better stronger golfers. The tour105 is a lightweight shaft designed for a stronger golfer so it bridges the gap. Interesting stuff.

This forum doesn't spend a ton of time on the softer lighter stuff but the Nippon 850/950 has been the #1 shaft in Japan and on LPGA for YEARS. They are to Asian market what DG is to US market.

Mark, how's the SPB compared to Prototype 2S14?

SPB is a Tour125 with 5g more weight a slightly muted feel but same profile. 2S14 is like 16g more weight but is twice as stiff in butt/tip and 1x more stiff in middle. 2S14 I feel is SPB's big brother but for some reason 2S14 to me feels a little more lively. Not soft or whippy. Just not as dull and dead as SPB.

Sounds like the 1150's are for me. Can't really afford the modus.

Is the price based solely off of OEM upcharge? You can buy a set of Modus pulls for a pretty moderate fee. 1150's to me are way more counterbalanced feeling and have a weird thump to them. They feel closer to Tour130 to me and feel fairly heavy. Not a big fan of 1150 really.

Sounds like the 1150's are for me. Can't really afford the modus.

Is the price based solely off of OEM upcharge? You can buy a set of Modus pulls for a pretty moderate fee. 1150's to me are way more counterbalanced feeling and have a weird thump to them. They feel closer to Tour130 to me and feel fairly heavy. Not a big fan of 1150 really.

HEEHE You are cheating LOL..... you gotta compare apples to apples!

mark is right though, if you are willing I saw a bunch of used pulls for Modus 120 for a $200 (7 shafts)

but that also means I saw a bunch of used 1150GH pulls for $100. (7 shafts)

Both Ebay of course

My current set, was for all work done , $320, 8 shafts ($40 per club), pulled, replaced, grips, loft and lies check all for the flat price. (New)

As for the counter balance and the thump... Interesting, I am going to say I have Roberto Durant hands so I didnt notice it that much, I guess coming from an overall tip stiff heavy shaft in general, the club yes did feel lighter over all, but it allowed me to stay consistent through the round and less mid round fatigue, the last 4 holes I didnt feel like I had to over work the clubs/shafts.

So I would say its definitely something you have to feel out and not just take my opinion on!

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

SPB is a Tour125 with 5g more weight a slightly muted feel but same profile. 2S14 is like 16g more weight but is twice as stiff in butt/tip and 1x more stiff in middle. 2S14 I feel is SPB's big brother but for some reason 2S14 to me feels a little more lively. Not soft or whippy. Just not as dull and dead as SPB.

Is there anything stiffer in the butt section compared to 2S14?

You guys have much experience with these shafts. I have never have anything but TT DG shafts in my irons but I am very interested in the Nippon's. I hear they have great feel. Is there a big difference between the ns pro and the modus? Is it worth the big price jump?

Nippon has 3 iron shaft series- There are variations within each group, but each series can basically be grouped according to speed and launch.

ZELOS = For lower speed golfers

Super-Lite, Softer Flexes, Help with Launch

NS PRO GH = For medium speed golfers

Light to Ultra-Lite, Easy to Launch, Mid to Hi Trajectories

MODUS = For high speed golfers

Traditional Weight, Low to Mid Trajectories, Lower Spin

3step

in the past 10 years i have played s300, x100, kbs ctaper s, kbs tour s, kbs tour v s, nippon 1150gh s

1150's are money.

• Like 1

Titleist Ts4 9.5* Accra TZ6 M5
Ping G400 5w Motore Speeder VC 7.3x
Mizuno HMB 3 Nippon 120x

Mizuno MP20 4-P Nippon 120x
Cleveland Zipcore 52, 56 Ti S400

Cleveland Rtx 4 60-03 Ti S400
Ping Heppler ZB3
ProV1

I'm not sure on 130X vs. 2S14, but as far as the other proto's go, I think 2S14 is stiffest in all sections compared to E11, C10, 2T15, ORA etc.

I'm not sure on 130X vs. 2S14, but as far as the other proto's go, I think 2S14 is stiffest in all sections compared to E11, C10, 2T15, ORA etc.

I am still looking for a set of ORA. And whats the spec of E11?

I am still looking for a set of ORA. And whats the spec of E11?

Crazy rare and from what I've heard kind of between C10 and 2S14. Similar with the butt stiff, mild middle, tip stiff. I have a set of ORA X. Reminds me more of a DG. Like a 120 meets 125. More of that snap/thump and more heavily weighted towards toe IMO, feel wise anyways, I don't know that for a fact.