Maltby DBM

acularwacularw Members Posts: 67 ✭✭
I am getting back into golf after only playing 1-2 times per year the past several years. I am a high HCP and I picked up some Ping i25 irons thinking they would be something I could play for a while (rather than just get some SGI type irons and replacing them quickly). I think I need something a bit more forgiving, and have been looking at some of the component options.

I absolutely love the look of the Maltby DBM's and have heard great things. Are these forgiving enough for a high handicap player that is working hard to improve quickly? Is there anyone out there with negative experiences with these irons?
[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Driver: Ping G30[/font]
[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Fairway: TEE E8 15*[/font]
[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Hybrids: Maltby KE4 Tour HDI 21*, TEE E8 22*[/font]
[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Irons: Maltby DBM 4-PW[/font]
[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Wedges: Maltby M-Series+ 56* Tour Sole, 60* Mid Sole[/font]
[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Putter: Accusite ASP2[/font]
Tagged:

Comments

• BManTxBManTx Members Posts: 99
    I've hit the TE version and liked them. They're definitely forgiving enough, but that doesn't mean you'd like them.

How about trying a used set of G25 or G30 irons? Kind of hard to go wrong there if you want forgiving.
  • TLT_DanTLT_Dan TLT_DAN Hampton, ONMembers Posts: 1,069 ✭✭
    acularw wrote:

I am getting back into golf after only playing 1-2 times per year the past several years. I am a high HCP and I picked up some Ping i25 irons thinking they would be something I could play for a while (rather than just get some SGI type irons and replacing them quickly). I think I need something a bit more forgiving, and have been looking at some of the component options.

I absolutely love the look of the Maltby DBM's and have heard great things. Are these forgiving enough for a high handicap player that is working hard to improve quickly? Is there anyone out there with negative experiences with these irons?

Yes these are a very sound head and as far as a forging goes are quite forgiving. I would certainly recommend these. Just be sure you get the set built to the correct lengths and lies to keep your consistency and forgiveness up.
  • jah7838jah7838 Members Posts: 1,041 ✭✭
    I recently purchased a DBM 4 iron head and installed a s300 iron shaft in it (I have TI DG S400 shafts in my other irons). I play 5-GW Fly Z+ irons. I've only used the DBM 1 round and found it no less forgiving than my 5 iron. It's a great looking club. I would have no issues playing a full set of them.

I would say they're forgiving enough if you're willing to put in practice time just from my limited experience with the club. I'm going to have a little more time in the next few weeks for some more range and course time.
    WITB
    Driver: 9.5* M3 Attas Elements MK 7s
    Fairway: Cobra F6 Baffler set to 16* with Nventix Nunchuk
    Hybrids: 19* Adams XTD Super Hybrid Black Tie 95g S / 18.5* RBZ Stage 2 S300, 23* Adams Super 9031 S300
    Irons: 5-PW Fly Z+ DGTI S400
    Wedges: 50*& 54* TM Milled Grind Standard Bounce, 58* Mid RTX 4. All wedges have DGTI S400
    Putter: Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can Finish
  • CwebbCwebb Members Posts: 5,942 ✭✭
    They will be more forgiving towards the toe and on 'thin' strikes low on the face vs just about any other forged players club.

They're very easy to hit solid and a lot of players can use them no problem
  • acularwacularw Members Posts: 67 ✭✭
    Thanks guys, I think I am going to pull the trigger. Very tempted by the club pack with KBS tour custom shafts. Pretty sweet deal when you compare cost compared to the standard pack with Score LT shafts.

I haven't hit either shaft but figure worst case I could sell the KBS tour customs if I don't like for minimal loss...
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Hybrids: Maltby KE4 Tour HDI 21*, TEE E8 22*[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Wedges: Maltby M-Series+ 56* Tour Sole, 60* Mid Sole[/font]
  • Johnny TJohnny T Wait for me guys! Members Posts: 3,942 ✭✭
    I have a 6 iron head I use for shaft testing. Really nice head and is quite forgiving. IMO, it is a head that you could use for a long time. And the black coating is very tough. Mine sees a ton of range time and I purposefully don't wipe the face off to see how the finish will wear. It still looks great with only minimal wear and it has been used for a couple of years now.

The KBS club packs they have are good deals. Another positive about the head is it has a universal hosel so it can accept .355 or .370 shafts with no shims required.
    Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
    Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
    Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
    Titleist 716 T-MB 4-PW - Fujikura Pro 115
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50/54/58 - Fujikura Pro 115/DG 115
    Edel E-3 Torque Balanced
  • Scottie68Scottie68 Members Posts: 803 ✭✭
    Perhaps buy one head to try it before committing to a whole set?
  • SwingBluesSwingBlues We are the Old Dark Navy Blues Members Posts: 3,452 ✭✭
    Once you've figured it out, check out the Premium "Paks", they now have Paks for KBS, TT and including the XP95 shafts (they didn't have this for the DBM but I emailed them and they should be added to the website), save some money with the Paks. I will be getting the XP95 DB Pak at the end of the month.
    Callaway Epic Flash SubZero 9*, Fujikura Ventus 6-S finished 44.5"
    Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
    Honma 737 18* 5 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
    Taylormade UDI 2 iron, 18* KBS C-Taper Lite

Taylormade P790 4-PW, Nippon Modus 3 105 with ProSoft inserts, Grip Master Perforated leather grips
    Ben Hogan 2018 Equalizer 48* and 52* Forged wedges
    Nike Engage Toe Sweep 56* wedge
    Directed Force Reno "2.05" with BGT Stability shaft (Presse V tweaked)

Ball: Srixon XV, 2019 Taylormade TP-5x
    Swing: PPGS, a Surgite !!!
  • acularwacularw Members Posts: 67 ✭✭
    SwingBlues wrote:

Once you've figured it out, check out the Premium "Paks", they now have Paks for KBS, TT and including the XP95 shafts (they didn't have this for the DBM but I emailed them and they should be added to the website), save some money with the Paks. I will be getting the XP95 DB Pak at the end of the month.

I'm still trying to figure out which shaft to get in these. I hit some Mizuno MP25's with XP95 shafts and I think I like the shaft, but since the DBM's are supposed to launch pretty high I think the XP95's might make them balloon. I also like the KBS C-taper lite's, but they don't have a pack available. I might just try the KBS Tours, S-flex, in black. Premium price but would look so nice...
  • New2thisNew2this Members Posts: 142 ✭✭
    put these into a set for my wife and i took a few soft swings. these heads feel great. launch the ball well, nice turf interaction. I personally enjoyed them. May take them for a spin one day and compare to my other iron heads to see if I want to replace my X hot pro's with them. for the price point the heads are at on Golfworks its pretty hard to go wrong. Have the Gap wedge and 4 iron on the way and cant wait to get them
    New2this wrote:

put these into a set for my wife and i took a few soft swings. these heads feel great. launch the ball well, nice turf interaction. I personally enjoyed them. May take them for a spin one day and compare to my other iron heads to see if I want to replace my X hot pro's with them. for the price point the heads are at on Golfworks its pretty hard to go wrong. Have the Gap wedge and 4 iron on the way and cant wait to get them

They're easy to hit solid and very playable. You'll probably end up really enjoying them
  • 03SMURF03SMURF Members Posts: 764 ✭✭
    edited Nov 27, 2016 #13
    The demo DBM I hit felt pretty good and they hav a very traditional look at address. They also score very high on the Maltby playability factor scale. I went to the GolfWorks pro shop to get mine and they went through all the heads to get me consistently lighter ones since I'm building an overlength set. Very nice and helpful staff. I also picked up a couple of MG wedges.
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]M3 440 9° - Tensei CK Pro Orange V3 70TX[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]915 Fd 15° - ATMOS Black 8TX
    716 T-MB 3 iron - RIP Tour 115
    714 MB - 4-pw - X100's
    SM5's - 50/08 F, 56/10 (55°) M, 60/08 M - X100's
    Cleveland Huntington Beach #11
    Ball TBD
    4up Stadry[/font]
  • MikeskiMikeski ClubWRX Posts: 301 ✭✭
    03SMURF wrote:

The demo DBM I hit felt pretty good and they hav a very traditional look at address. They also score very high on the Maltby playability factor scale. I went to the GolfWorks pro shop to get mine and they went through all the heads to get me consistently lighter ones since I'm building an overlength set. Very nice and helpful staff. I also picked up a couple of MG wedges.

Was there really that much of a difference in weight?

You think there would be more consistency.
    Mikeski wrote:

03SMURF wrote:

They advertise +/- 3 grams from their std. weight. 2 grams of head weight = 1 swingweight point which can be made up pretty easily when putting a club together. The largest amount under std. of my heads was only 3.8 grams.
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]M3 440 9° - Tensei CK Pro Orange V3 70TX[/font]
    714 MB - 4-pw - X100's
    Ball TBD
    4up Stadry[/font]
  • DblEglDblEgl Members Posts: 761 ✭✭
    Great looking heads. Thanks for posting the pics.

Please post when the build is complete and you've hit them.
  • MikeskiMikeski ClubWRX Posts: 301 ✭✭
    03SMURF wrote:

Mikeski wrote:

03SMURF wrote:

They advertise +/- 3 grams from their std. weight. 2 grams of head weight = 1 swingweight point which can be made up pretty easily when putting a club together. The largest amount under std. of my heads was only 3.8 grams.

Intersting. I've been looking at these heads and probably will build a set next spring and like you they will be over length. I guess when I do order them I'll give them a call and have them weight match the heads.

Thanks for the info.
    DblEgl wrote:

Great looking heads. Thanks for posting the pics.

Please post when the build is complete and you've hit them.

No problem, will be glad to.

Mikeski wrote:

03SMURF wrote:

Mikeski wrote:

03SMURF wrote:

Intersting. I've been looking at these heads and probably will build a set next spring and like you they will be over length. I guess when I do order them I'll give them a call and have them weight match the heads.

Thanks for the info.

You're welcome. For a fee they can measure loft and lie of heads and select what you need to eliminate some bending later on. Only the head weights are stickered.
    714 MB - 4-pw - X100's
    Ball TBD
    4up Stadry[/font]
    Closer...
    714 MB - 4-pw - X100's
    Ball TBD
    4up Stadry[/font]
  • DaveGoodrichDaveGoodrich Members Posts: 998 ✭✭
    I know I am going to end up with a set of these someday, I won't be able to resist forever.
    Titleist 917D3 w/YS-6+
    Taylormade V-steel 15* w/YS-6+ FW
    Titleist 909h 17* and 21* w/YS-hybrid
    Adams dHy 24* w/Aldila RIP Tour 115
    Adams XTD Forged 6 (28*) - PW (48*) w/Aldila RIP Tour 115 (bent to 5* loft gaps)
    Vokey SM4 TVD 50M w/Aldila RIP Tour 115
    Vokey SM6 56S w/Aldila RIP Tour 115
    Vokey SM6 60M w/Aldila RIP Tour 115
    Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #5
  • FireProFirePro Members Posts: 865 ✭✭

I know I am going to end up with a set of these someday, I won't be able to resist forever.
    I feel the same way but am currently playing the Z745's and love them, I even thought about selling the srixons with different shafts and installing these heads on the pulled shafts.
    Cobra FlyZ+ @ 8.5 deg w/Grafalloy (White) Blue X-Stiff tipped 3/4" @ 44.75"
    Taylormade 2017 M1 set to 13 deg w/ RBZ TP Aldila RIP Alpha 70X Tipped 1" @ 42.5"
    Titleist 909 F2 (18.5deg) UST AxivCore Tour Green 95X Tipped 1.5" @ 41.5"
    Srixon Z U45 4 & 2 w/ Aldila RIP Alpha 105 X Hybrid shaft (4 @ 38.5", 2 @ 39.5")
    Srixon Z745 (5-PW) w/ KBS $-Taper X 130 Black
    Hand Crafted wedges from Kyoei Raw Forged Blanks
    52deg w/ KBS $-Taper 130X PW Shaft
    56deg w/ KBS $-Taper 130X PW Shaft
    60deg w/ KBS $-Taper 130X 8i Shaft
    Putter: Odyssey Havok
  • ryant0220ryant0220 Members Posts: 170
    Great looking heads. I currently play mp5s. How would they compare in size? Thanks!
  • IsleOfManIsleOfMan Members Posts: 2,309 ✭✭
    To the OP, I was in your shoes (picking things up after a few years of a couple of rounds per season, mostly for work) and went with the Ping i15. When I first picked things back up I was shooting in the low-to-mid-90s. Even then, I found the i15s to be as forgiving as necessary. I didn't replace them until I got to an adjusted HDCP of 10 and even then it was more for the feel of forged than anything else (I'm not a shot shaper unless you count a hooded 5-iron to get out of and/or around the trees). I haven't even sold my i15s yet... not until I have at least half a season with my Mizunos under my belt and know it's not just honeymoon period.

As to the Maltby DBM and TE Forged, I wouldn't hesitate to go with them vs. anything else in the forged players cavity market. I played the Tommy Armour 845cm Silverback mixed set in the early/mid-2000s which was a Maltby design and the 845c 7-PW were extremely similar to the DBM and TE Forged. I strongly considered the TE Forged when I did decided to go back to a forged club but some demoing sold me on Mizuno and I also went with one of their more semi-GI forged designs (MX-200). If I ever decide I do need an even more traditional design/appearance (or if they ever go on clearance), I'm sure the DBM and TE Forged will be on the list right beside the likes of the Mizuno MP cavity, Titleist CB, etc.
    Cobra King F8+ Driver 10.5* | Matrix 65M4 Black Tie S
    Cobra King F8 3/4w 14.5* | Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S
    Cobra King F8 5/6w 17.5* |
    Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]King F8[/font] 4h 22* | Aldila Rogue Pro 75 S
    Cobra Bio Cell + 5i - Gw | TT Dynalite Gold XP S300
    Cobra King WideLow 56* & 60* | TT Dynamic Gold S200
    Cleveland TFi 2135 Satin Elevado CB Putter | 35" Counterbalance
    Ogio OZone Cart | Ogio Shredder Stand
    | Orlimar Pitch & Putt Stand
  • That Bob GuyThat Bob Guy Never settle! Members Posts: 2,571 ✭✭
    If you're thinking of a set of DBM's, Golfworks have got them on sale NOW!
  • RR58RR58 Members Posts: 207 ✭✭
    Where did you see that? I just checked out the Golfworks site an they just looked to be at the regular price.
    ryant0220 wrote:

Great looking heads. I currently play mp5s. How would they compare in size? Thanks!

Slightly more "midsize" looking. They're longer from heel to toe, easy to hit solid, and are especially forgiving towards the toe.

There's really not an easier to hit "classic looking" forged club ever made
  • FireProFirePro Members Posts: 865 ✭✭
    RR58 wrote:

Where did you see that? I just checked out the Golfworks site an they just looked to be at the regular price.
    Look in the christmas flyer, I believe you have to call in your order to get the rebate. they are a buck or two more then the TE forged
    Cobra FlyZ+ @ 8.5 deg w/Grafalloy (White) Blue X-Stiff tipped 3/4" @ 44.75"
    Taylormade 2017 M1 set to 13 deg w/ RBZ TP Aldila RIP Alpha 70X Tipped 1" @ 42.5"
    Titleist 909 F2 (18.5deg) UST AxivCore Tour Green 95X Tipped 1.5" @ 41.5"
    Srixon Z U45 4 & 2 w/ Aldila RIP Alpha 105 X Hybrid shaft (4 @ 38.5", 2 @ 39.5")
    Srixon Z745 (5-PW) w/ KBS $-Taper X 130 Black
    Hand Crafted wedges from Kyoei Raw Forged Blanks
    52deg w/ KBS $-Taper 130X PW Shaft
    56deg w/ KBS $-Taper 130X PW Shaft
    60deg w/ KBS $-Taper 130X 8i Shaft
    Putter: Odyssey Havok
    RR58 wrote:

Flyer with my last order. Arrived Wednesday.
  • Johnny TJohnny T Wait for me guys! Members Posts: 3,942 ✭✭

RR58 wrote:

Can you post a pic of the flyer? I may be swayed to order them if they are on sale.
    Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
    Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
    Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
    Titleist 716 T-MB 4-PW - Fujikura Pro 115
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50/54/58 - Fujikura Pro 115/DG 115
    Edel E-3 Torque Balanced
  • RR58RR58 Members Posts: 207 ✭✭
    Johnny T wrote:

RR58 wrote:

Can you post a pic of the flyer? I may be swayed to order them if they are on sale.

I just noticed that That Bob Guy is from New Brunswick. There is a flyer on the Golfworks Canada site. There doesn't seem to be a similar one for the US.
    I don't believe I have it any longer. On the other hand, when I've got sale info from Golfworks USA, my Canadian location has matched everything. For instance, the True Temper Score LT shaft were on for ~$4 USD, and my guys matched it, converted to CAD of course. I'd call them, can't hurt.