Fitting Tall Golfers With NO Chart or Preconceived Ideas!

11112131416

Comments

  • 03SMURF03SMURF Members Posts: 764 ✭✭
    beakster wrote:

    03SMURF wrote:


    With shoes on, I'm 6'3", 39" WTF and 62-62.5" shoulder to floor. My current set was fit to me at +0.5" and 4* up. Anything below 6 iron my common miss is on the toe and often thin. Even my solid shots favor the toe side some. This winter I'm thinking about building some Maltby irons and wedges to experiment with much longer lengths and try to maintain std lie angles. Only thing that worries me is shaft flex. If I hardstep X100's once or maybe even twice I would probably be ok.
    I am basically the same setup as you are. Am curious as to how your new build went for you?




    It wasn’t a good fit. The heads were too high launching and the overall club weights felt too heavy. I tried my current irons at 3° up and my wedges at 2° for a couple of months last summer. My game continued to get worse and my handicap went up 2 strokes. I now play my same irons and wedges from 1° up in wedges and short irons and 1.5° up in the rest. Dropped my handicap 3 strokes after doing that and it continued to trend downward. If I were to get fit right now I’d guess I’d end up 1/2-3/4” Long and 1-2° up.
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]M3 440 9° - Tensei CK Pro Orange V3 70TX[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]915 Fd 15° - ATMOS Black 8TX
    716 T-MB 3 iron - RIP Tour 115
    714 MB - 4-pw - X100's
    SM5's - 50/08 F, 56/10 (55°) M, 60/08 M - X100's
    Cleveland Huntington Beach #11
    Ball TBD
    4up Stadry[/font]
  • ryborybo Members Posts: 2,229 ✭✭

    beakster wrote:

    rybo wrote:

    cxx wrote:


    The proportions of arm length, leg length torso length are distributed around the averages that you showed in the charts. I don't think you really used those charts, except to support your idea that longer clubs would be better. The only problem I see is that you are looking at a small percentage of golfers. So small that equipment that supports extra long length clubs is hard to come by.



    Looking at your long club experiment you stick with the .5" increments in length. I've seen Wishon and others move towards a smaller increment for taller golfers, I suppose to stay within the available equipment. I would think that the single length irons might be most appropriate for golfers that need longer clubs since the low lofted irons would remain at more manageable lengths.



    What shafts and heads did you use in your experiment? What kind of swing weight or moi did you see? How did the 4 iron play? I would think that the total radius (arms + club) of the arc would limit accuracy the longer it is.




    Actually I have a fully operational and mathematically generated chart that shows the proportions for shoulder height and arm length that used the direct measurements provided from the anthropometric charts. I am extremely reluctant to post it due to the last fiasco in the other thread.



    I stuck with 1/2" increments because that is what the fitting gave me. I didn't dictate the fitting, the fitting dictated what would work!



    If you do a search you will find I have done everything 1/8" to 1/2" increments. Played 3/8" for the last 6 years or so.

    Here is a link where I went from single length to 1/8"



    [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1385016-my-single-length-experiment-evolved-into-18-length-progression/page__p__14210900#entry14210900"]http://www.golfwrx.c...0#entry14210900[/url]



    Why did neither work as well as what I have now? because the shorter clubs were still too short, I was still having to bend over too much, slump my shoulders, bend too much at the waist, etc etc etc. **** the 1/8" literally just jammed all the clubs up to something that was still too short but this made them more playable. Still not right just more playable.



    Currently using Cleveland CG16 T Spec heads and i95 Steelfibers. I also have jumbo grips on all clubs as I have pretty large hands, actually they are oversized to average for my height. The 4 iron is great! Long and straight, and unfortunately your comment of 'I would think that the total radius (arms + club) of the arc would limit accuracy the longer it is' is exactly reason us tall people have been having so many issues being fit properly. It's a preconceived idea. How about since are we taller we need longer clubs. This will make it easier to return the clubhead in its proper orientation!



    Ordered another set of Steelfibers yesterday to put in a set of Bridgestone J40 DPC's. Shafts should be here Thursday but I'm headed out of town Friday morning so it may not be until next week before they are built.



    I was in Pinehurst last week for a member guest. Used the clubs built a week earlier. Played courses 9, 7 & 2 and I led the field in eagles and birdies over the 3 rounds, 2 and 11 respectively. If I could have putted even just a bit better, could have easily doubled the birdie count. Also played two practice rounds on 9 & 7 and the clubs were phenomenal.
    Sounds like you have found your setup! I am 6'3" wtf 38.75" my current Ping G30 irons are Maroon Dot, plus 1/2". I am thinking that after finding my low and high point and making the adjustments that my clubs will need to be bent flatter, correct? Also, I am interested in what happened to your distances for each iron after you lengthened them? Since the weight and swingweight changed from club to club, is your distance gapping still the same as it was before? I guess what I am asking in a nutshell is "After I make this change, what am I going to notice, other than being comfortable!"




    The short answer is I noticed NO changes in my gapping!



    The longer answer since this post is over a year old is I played a single length set for 6 months then moved on to single length heads with a 1/8” increment set 37.25” - 38.25”, (LW - 5 iron). I am loving this 1/8” set! Could probably be a bit longer but I am averaging close to 13 greens a round over the last three months, so they are working! Just won my club championship two days ago by 21 shots in horrendous conditions. We had it all, high winds (25+ mph) with ultra low humidity, steady rains for 9 holes on day two and greens that stimped a legitimate 14 before the winds & humidity dropped, they got way faster. 3 brutal days!
  • beaksterbeakster Members Posts: 30 ✭✭
    rybo wrote:

    beakster wrote:

    rybo wrote:

    cxx wrote:


    The proportions of arm length, leg length torso length are distributed around the averages that you showed in the charts. I don't think you really used those charts, except to support your idea that longer clubs would be better. The only problem I see is that you are looking at a small percentage of golfers. So small that equipment that supports extra long length clubs is hard to come by.



    Looking at your long club experiment you stick with the .5" increments in length. I've seen Wishon and others move towards a smaller increment for taller golfers, I suppose to stay within the available equipment. I would think that the single length irons might be most appropriate for golfers that need longer clubs since the low lofted irons would remain at more manageable lengths.



    What shafts and heads did you use in your experiment? What kind of swing weight or moi did you see? How did the 4 iron play? I would think that the total radius (arms + club) of the arc would limit accuracy the longer it is.




    Actually I have a fully operational and mathematically generated chart that shows the proportions for shoulder height and arm length that used the direct measurements provided from the anthropometric charts. I am extremely reluctant to post it due to the last fiasco in the other thread.



    I stuck with 1/2" increments because that is what the fitting gave me. I didn't dictate the fitting, the fitting dictated what would work!



    If you do a search you will find I have done everything 1/8" to 1/2" increments. Played 3/8" for the last 6 years or so.

    Here is a link where I went from single length to 1/8"



    http://www.golfwrx.c...0#entry14210900



    Why did neither work as well as what I have now? because the shorter clubs were still too short, I was still having to bend over too much, slump my shoulders, bend too much at the waist, etc etc etc. **** the 1/8" literally just jammed all the clubs up to something that was still too short but this made them more playable. Still not right just more playable.



    Currently using Cleveland CG16 T Spec heads and i95 Steelfibers. I also have jumbo grips on all clubs as I have pretty large hands, actually they are oversized to average for my height. The 4 iron is great! Long and straight, and unfortunately your comment of 'I would think that the total radius (arms + club) of the arc would limit accuracy the longer it is' is exactly reason us tall people have been having so many issues being fit properly. It's a preconceived idea. How about since are we taller we need longer clubs. This will make it easier to return the clubhead in its proper orientation!



    Ordered another set of Steelfibers yesterday to put in a set of Bridgestone J40 DPC's. Shafts should be here Thursday but I'm headed out of town Friday morning so it may not be until next week before they are built.



    I was in Pinehurst last week for a member guest. Used the clubs built a week earlier. Played courses 9, 7 & 2 and I led the field in eagles and birdies over the 3 rounds, 2 and 11 respectively. If I could have putted even just a bit better, could have easily doubled the birdie count. Also played two practice rounds on 9 & 7 and the clubs were phenomenal.
    Sounds like you have found your setup! I am 6'3" wtf 38.75" my current Ping G30 irons are Maroon Dot, plus 1/2". I am thinking that after finding my low and high point and making the adjustments that my clubs will need to be bent flatter, correct? Also, I am interested in what happened to your distances for each iron after you lengthened them? Since the weight and swingweight changed from club to club, is your distance gapping still the same as it was before? I guess what I am asking in a nutshell is "After I make this change, what am I going to notice, other than being comfortable!"




    The short answer is I noticed NO changes in my gapping!



    The longer answer since this post is over a year old is I played a single length set for 6 months then moved on to single length heads with a 1/8" increment set 37.25" - 38.25", (LW - 5 iron). I am loving this 1/8" set! Could probably be a bit longer but I am averaging close to 13 greens a round over the last three months, so they are working! Just won my club championship two days ago by 21 shots in horrendous conditions. We had it all, high winds (25+ mph) with ultra low humidity, steady rains for 9 holes on day two and greens that stimped a legitimate 14 before the winds & humidity dropped, they got way faster. 3 brutal days!




    Quite an impressive win!! From your experience, will this be a good move for me to lengthen? Or would you recommend going with SL in order to get a better setup? I'm assuming that the main issue with this is using conventional irons is the heavy swingweight , correct?
  • ryborybo Members Posts: 2,229 ✭✭
    The issue is definitely weight, and using single length heads at least in the short irons and wedges allows clubs to be built longer and still have a normal feel.



    I would definitely recommend using single length heads. And they do not have to be built to the same length. 1/8” or 1/4” is easy build. May even want standard heads in the long irons. Tip weights are needed but easy enough to work with to get what you want.
  • ryborybo Members Posts: 2,229 ✭✭
    edited May 6, 2018 #456
  • ResonanceResonance Members Posts: 47
    edited May 28, 2018 #457
    Edit
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • ryborybo Members Posts: 2,229 ✭✭
    Some great insight by Mike Taylor of Artisan Golf while he's fitting a taller golfer. Not sure this particular golfer is even all that tall, but Mike's commentary and explanation of the problems encountered by taller golfers is spot on!





    1:39-3:15

    8:30-9:52



    http://www.golfwrx.com/518220/heres-what-its-like-to-get-a-wedge-fitting-with-mike-taylor-at-artisan-golf/
  • postfoldpostfold oh how I LOVE putting Members Posts: 367 ✭✭
    Thread has been a very interesting read. 6'5" here and ~ 38" WTF iirc. I've never been a solid wedge player, they just aren't comfortable. This might be the nudge I need to really get into club building.
  • danattherockdanattherock Members Posts: 3,517 ClubWRX
    This thread is full of great info, thanks Rybo. I finally got around to going from 1.25” up to 2”over, and 2 degrees upright which is my norm. Will tweak as I go, but ball striking is much better, without a doubt. Ordered set to above specs from Callaway, Apex irons with Recoil 95/110 graphite shafts. Two days ago took a single plane lesson from one of Kirk Junges certified instructors here in NC. Along with longer clubs, I hit more solid shots than I can recall. Eager to see where this path leads. Thanks for making me rethink club fit.
  • ryborybo Members Posts: 2,229 ✭✭
    edited Sep 23, 2018 #461
    Sometimes seeing things in their extreme makes more sense!



    7' 7" golfer using standard clubs!!



    https://www.youtube....h?v=KXxQsNJJhj4







    Here he speaks to his fitting at Ping! +4", 2* up



  • 03SMURF03SMURF Members Posts: 764 ✭✭
    I’ve started another fitting process with a professional club builder and a completely open mind. I told him my goals are to be more comfortable over my short irons, hit the ball more consistently with a better path and to not get heavier than D6. He had me open my palms at a 45° angle and with golf shoes on my WTF was 40” this way. He also thinks my hands are just big enough for midsize grips, which I’ve never played. My initial fitting was mainly getting these measurements, hitting my 6 iron on Flightscope for some base numbers, then I hit some various steel shafts at std length just to see what profiles I liked. His initial thoughts are a very stiff graphite shaft in the 110g and lower weight class is needed with a 5 or 6 iron @ +3/4” and 4/10” increments. Next fitting I’ll try steelfibers and KBS’s graphite shaft at the proposed specs and go from there.
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]M3 440 9° - Tensei CK Pro Orange V3 70TX[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]915 Fd 15° - ATMOS Black 8TX
    716 T-MB 3 iron - RIP Tour 115
    714 MB - 4-pw - X100's
    SM5's - 50/08 F, 56/10 (55°) M, 60/08 M - X100's
    Cleveland Huntington Beach #11
    Ball TBD
    4up Stadry[/font]
  • wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members Posts: 3,858 ✭✭
    OP had gone to "charts" and preconceived notions through the self fitting.



    Charts and preconceived notion are not bad as a starting point. If you have the resources for the trial and error method.

    As for those golfers outside of the "standard" physical size, should first find the correct posture for their golf swing. Meaning, find which posture will not inhibit the golf swing motion without adding additional stress from the repeated movement.

    A taller than standard golfer will naturally use a more up right swing path and the shorter than standard golfer would naturally benefit from a flatter swing path.

    If a golfer started his golf swing with the wrong posture, then everything fitted to that posture will never be the best the golfer could get out of this game.



    Modern day CAD should easily determine the correct range of possible posture for a motion like golf swing. I'm just surprised that no one had come up with a system based on the CAD for starting point.
  • MrFlapjackMrFlapjack Members Posts: 2,597 ✭✭
    03SMURF wrote:


    I’ve started another fitting process with a professional club builder and a completely open mind. I told him my goals are to be more comfortable over my short irons, hit the ball more consistently with a better path and to not get heavier than D6. He had me open my palms at a 45° angle and with golf shoes on my WTF was 40” this way. He also thinks my hands are just big enough for midsize grips, which I’ve never played. My initial fitting was mainly getting these measurements, hitting my 6 iron on Flightscope for some base numbers, then I hit some various steel shafts at std length just to see what profiles I liked. His initial thoughts are a very stiff graphite shaft in the 110g and lower weight class is needed with a 5 or 6 iron @ +3/4” and 4/10” increments. Next fitting I’ll try steelfibers and KBS’s graphite shaft at the proposed specs and go from there.




    The Steelfiber 110s are perfect for overlength builds. They swingweight a couple points lower than most shafts.
    Cobra LTD Pro HZRDUS 75g 6.5 (Synergy Black 70TX tipped 1/2")
    Ping 2014 Rapture 3W - Blueboard 73x5ct
    Srixon Z U45 18, 20, 23 () (Testing Cobra F8 and Ping G 3 hybrids)
    Srixon Z545 5-AW (SF i110 stiff) (Testing Cleveland CBX 7-PW, and Nike Vapor Fly 4-6 irons)
    RTX 3.0 - 54 and 58 (SF i125 stiff) (Testing Cleveland CBX wedges 48, 52, 56 bent to 50, 54, 58)
    YES Milly - 100gm TLP. (Testing Ping Ketsch Mid)
  • ryborybo Members Posts: 2,229 ✭✭
    wkuo3 wrote:


    OP had gone to "charts" and preconceived notions through the self fitting.



    Charts and preconceived notion are not bad as a starting point. If you have the resources for the trial and error method.

    As for those golfers outside of the "standard" physical size, should first find the correct posture for their golf swing. Meaning, find which posture will not inhibit the golf swing motion without adding additional stress from the repeated movement.

    A taller than standard golfer will naturally use a more up right swing path and the shorter than standard golfer would naturally benefit from a flatter swing path.

    If a golfer started his golf swing with the wrong posture, then everything fitted to that posture will never be the best the golfer could get out of this game.



    Modern day CAD should easily determine the correct range of possible posture for a motion like golf swing. I'm just surprised that no one had come up with a system based on the CAD for starting point.




    The only reason a taller golfer has a more upright swing path and a shorter golfer has a flatter swing path is club length. Provide the tall, short and average height golfer a proper length club for their body proportions and they can all swing on the same plane. (not saying there is a single best swing plane to be on, only that club length dictates swing plane to a large degree)





    CAD has been and is used extensively in the study of Anthropometrics and Ergonomics. The only place I have found that seems to have a great understanding of fitting clubs to the golfer is http://jeffmont.com/fitting/concept/ . I have never ordered or even spoken to them, however the information on their site shows they have a deeper understanding of fitting.
  • wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members Posts: 3,858 ✭✭
    edited Sep 25, 2018 #466
    rybo wrote:

    wkuo3 wrote:


    OP had gone to "charts" and preconceived notions through the self fitting.



    Charts and preconceived notion are not bad as a starting point. If you have the resources for the trial and error method.

    As for those golfers outside of the "standard" physical size, should first find the correct posture for their golf swing. Meaning, find which posture will not inhibit the golf swing motion without adding additional stress from the repeated movement.

    A taller than standard golfer will naturally use a more up right swing path and the shorter than standard golfer would naturally benefit from a flatter swing path.

    If a golfer started his golf swing with the wrong posture, then everything fitted to that posture will never be the best the golfer could get out of this game.



    Modern day CAD should easily determine the correct range of possible posture for a motion like golf swing. I'm just surprised that no one had come up with a system based on the CAD for starting point.




    The only reason a taller golfer has a more upright swing path and a shorter golfer has a flatter swing path is club length. Provide the tall, short and average height golfer a proper length club for their body proportions and they can all swing on the same plane. (not saying there is a single best swing plane to be on, only that club length dictates swing plane to a large degree)





    CAD has been and is used extensively in the study of Anthropometrics and Ergonomics. The only place I have found that seems to have a great understanding of fitting clubs to the golfer is http://jeffmont.com/fitting/concept/ . I have never ordered or even spoken to them, however the information on their site shows they have a deeper understanding of fitting.




    Don't you think the height of the player and the reach from their shoulders would have even more profound impact on the swing plane ?

    shaft length definitely has influence on the swing plane but, we all know that the length of the shaft has an optimal zone for each golfer according to their physical make up and their natural motion of a golf swing ?

    Not everyone could copy Ben Hogan's golf swing just like not everyone could copy Justin Rose;s. Unless one compensate with manipulation of posture, which probably will result in premature injury..



    Yes, I know of these guys from Redbird, they are not that far away from my place and been knowing their business for awhile. Yes, they do know the "fitting" , matter of the fact they were one of the first true fitting in town, an icon for the golf fitting business. Many of the golfers from other professional sports had them built custom golf clubs in the past when no one was doing what they did. Names like Michael Jordan , Bill Russell, and many from the baseball league all got their custom fitted golf clubs there. Kind of different when the golf industry was taking off in the late 80's into the 90's they refused to expend. Looking back, sure they had missed some opportunity to go big like Adams Golf but I don't think they'll miss it because they are smaller and easier to control their own destiny.
  • ryborybo Members Posts: 2,229 ✭✭
    wkuo3 wrote:

    rybo wrote:

    wkuo3 wrote:


    OP had gone to "charts" and preconceived notions through the self fitting.



    Charts and preconceived notion are not bad as a starting point. If you have the resources for the trial and error method.

    As for those golfers outside of the "standard" physical size, should first find the correct posture for their golf swing. Meaning, find which posture will not inhibit the golf swing motion without adding additional stress from the repeated movement.

    A taller than standard golfer will naturally use a more up right swing path and the shorter than standard golfer would naturally benefit from a flatter swing path.

    If a golfer started his golf swing with the wrong posture, then everything fitted to that posture will never be the best the golfer could get out of this game.



    Modern day CAD should easily determine the correct range of possible posture for a motion like golf swing. I'm just surprised that no one had come up with a system based on the CAD for starting point.




    The only reason a taller golfer has a more upright swing path and a shorter golfer has a flatter swing path is club length. Provide the tall, short and average height golfer a proper length club for their body proportions and they can all swing on the same plane. (not saying there is a single best swing plane to be on, only that club length dictates swing plane to a large degree)





    CAD has been and is used extensively in the study of Anthropometrics and Ergonomics. The only place I have found that seems to have a great understanding of fitting clubs to the golfer is http://jeffmont.com/fitting/concept/ . I have never ordered or even spoken to them, however the information on their site shows they have a deeper understanding of fitting.




    Don't you think the height of the player and the reach from their shoulders would have even more profound impact on the swing plane ?

    shaft length definitely has influence on the swing plane but, we all know that the length of the shaft has an optimal zone for each golfer according to their physical make up and their natural motion of a golf swing ?

    Not everyone could copy Ben Hogan's golf swing just like not everyone could copy Justin Rose;s. Unless one compensate with manipulation of posture, which probably will result in premature injury..



    Yes, I know of these guys from Redbird, they are not that far away from my place and been knowing their business for awhile. Yes, they do know the "fitting" , matter of the fact they were one of the first true fitting in town, an icon for the golf fitting business. Many of the golfers from other professional sports had them built custom golf clubs in the past when no one was doing what they did. Names like Michael Jordan , Bill Russell, and many from the baseball league all got their custom fitted golf clubs there. Kind of different when the golf industry was taking off in the late 80's into the 90's they refused to expend. Looking back, sure they had missed some opportunity to go big like Adams Golf but I don't think they'll miss it because they are smaller and easier to control their own destiny.




    I think we are in agreement for swing plane. Please go look at posts #9, 11 & 29 on page 1 of this topic. All speak directly to shoulder height, overall height and the relation they have to proper club length. I stand by my comment that either the tall or short golfer with a PROPERLY fit club length can swing on the same plane.



    My next time in Seattle I will surely be stopping in to Redbird as I am very intrigued by them.
  • wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members Posts: 3,858 ✭✭
    rybo wrote:

    wkuo3 wrote:

    rybo wrote:

    wkuo3 wrote:


    OP had gone to "charts" and preconceived notions through the self fitting.



    Charts and preconceived notion are not bad as a starting point. If you have the resources for the trial and error method.

    As for those golfers outside of the "standard" physical size, should first find the correct posture for their golf swing. Meaning, find which posture will not inhibit the golf swing motion without adding additional stress from the repeated movement.

    A taller than standard golfer will naturally use a more up right swing path and the shorter than standard golfer would naturally benefit from a flatter swing path.

    If a golfer started his golf swing with the wrong posture, then everything fitted to that posture will never be the best the golfer could get out of this game.



    Modern day CAD should easily determine the correct range of possible posture for a motion like golf swing. I'm just surprised that no one had come up with a system based on the CAD for starting point.




    The only reason a taller golfer has a more upright swing path and a shorter golfer has a flatter swing path is club length. Provide the tall, short and average height golfer a proper length club for their body proportions and they can all swing on the same plane. (not saying there is a single best swing plane to be on, only that club length dictates swing plane to a large degree)





    CAD has been and is used extensively in the study of Anthropometrics and Ergonomics. The only place I have found that seems to have a great understanding of fitting clubs to the golfer is http://jeffmont.com/fitting/concept/ . I have never ordered or even spoken to them, however the information on their site shows they have a deeper understanding of fitting.




    Don't you think the height of the player and the reach from their shoulders would have even more profound impact on the swing plane ?

    shaft length definitely has influence on the swing plane but, we all know that the length of the shaft has an optimal zone for each golfer according to their physical make up and their natural motion of a golf swing ?

    Not everyone could copy Ben Hogan's golf swing just like not everyone could copy Justin Rose;s. Unless one compensate with manipulation of posture, which probably will result in premature injury..



    Yes, I know of these guys from Redbird, they are not that far away from my place and been knowing their business for awhile. Yes, they do know the "fitting" , matter of the fact they were one of the first true fitting in town, an icon for the golf fitting business. Many of the golfers from other professional sports had them built custom golf clubs in the past when no one was doing what they did. Names like Michael Jordan , Bill Russell, and many from the baseball league all got their custom fitted golf clubs there. Kind of different when the golf industry was taking off in the late 80's into the 90's they refused to expend. Looking back, sure they had missed some opportunity to go big like Adams Golf but I don't think they'll miss it because they are smaller and easier to control their own destiny.




    I think we are in agreement for swing plane. Please go look at posts #9, 11 & 29 on page 1 of this topic. All speak directly to shoulder height, overall height and the relation they have to proper club length. I stand by my comment that either the tall or short golfer with a PROPERLY fit club length can swing on the same plane.



    My next time in Seattle I will surely be stopping in to Redbird as I am very intrigued by them.




    Okay, you can believe what you want , I had seen different sizes of golfers with proper posture will not have the same swing plane. It can only happen when something is compromised.

    You won't be disappointed visiting the Redbird shop, but make appointment for your visit before you pop in the shop. I was told the owner , partner might like to go golfing in the afternoon in the Summer time, so you might not meet up with them.

    Jefferson Park is an old municipal golf course right down the street ( where the young Freddy Couples used hung out ), A couple of holes in the back nine had been torn up , shortened because of the Owners of the houses outside the fence across the street complained to the City of errant golf shots invading their property. Hey, the golf course was built before any of those houses came about. We just have a bunch of idiots sitting on the City Council seats, who caused a whole lot of chaos in recent years. Be interesting to see the results for the next election.
  • JaketheJackJaketheJack Members Posts: 387 ✭✭
  • 03SMURF03SMURF Members Posts: 764 ✭✭
    For the guys who went with 3/8" increments (or even 4/10" as my builder has suggested), did you do these increments clear down to your LW? Or did you do the traditional 1/4" from 9-PW and so on?
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]M3 440 9° - Tensei CK Pro Orange V3 70TX[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]915 Fd 15° - ATMOS Black 8TX
    716 T-MB 3 iron - RIP Tour 115
    714 MB - 4-pw - X100's
    SM5's - 50/08 F, 56/10 (55°) M, 60/08 M - X100's
    Cleveland Huntington Beach #11
    Ball TBD
    4up Stadry[/font]
  • LCPLCP Members Posts: 1,268 ✭✭
    03SMURF wrote:


    For the guys who went with 3/8" increments (or even 4/10" as my builder has suggested), did you do these increments clear down to your LW? Or did you do the traditional 1/4" from 9-PW and so on?




    I think minimal increments through the wedges works nicely, like 0.25" from 9-PW, then UW/GW same length, then maybe another 0.25" for sand and lob wedge, but at the top end of the bag, go ahead and go up to 0.625" increments (common in many sets now anyway) in the long irons to maximize distance for the longest 2 irons.
  • ryborybo Members Posts: 2,229 ✭✭
    LCP wrote:

    03SMURF wrote:


    For the guys who went with 3/8" increments (or even 4/10" as my builder has suggested), did you do these increments clear down to your LW? Or did you do the traditional 1/4" from 9-PW and so on?




    I think minimal increments through the wedges works nicely, like 0.25" from 9-PW, then UW/GW same length, then maybe another 0.25" for sand and lob wedge, but at the top end of the bag, go ahead and go up to 0.625" increments (common in many sets now anyway) in the long irons to maximize distance for the longest 2 irons.




    The only thing that matters is ensuring you have enough club length in the wedges to maintain a good posture and swing plane (one that is not too upright). Whatever the length increment used for each club after that is fine. All wedges the same, 1/8", 1/4" will all work. The increment you choose will directly manifest itself in the long irons. The bigger the increment, the longer the long irons will become.



    And I think this is where manufactures have struggled making clubs longer. If they make wedges and short irons long enough for tall individuals, they then default/adhere to the 1/2" spacing and the long irons become too long. 1/2" and 3/8" spacing to me no longer makes sense as both produce a total length change from shortest club to longest club that is too great. 1/4", 3/16" and 1/8" spacing are plenty between clubs and allow for long enough wedges and short irons while keeping the length of the long irons from getting too long.
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,860 ✭✭
    I'm going to update my findings over the last 3 years here



    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1278884-lower-caps-taller-players/
    Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Oban Kiyoshi White 65s
    Ping G25 7w 20* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Ping G25 4h 23* Diamana White 92s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping s55 6-PW Fujikura mci 100s
    Vokey sm2 50* 54* 59* 64* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • ryborybo Members Posts: 2,229 ✭✭
    edited Dec 20, 2018 #474
    Interview with Jay Turner of Redbird golf clubs.



    the entire interview is great!



    16:30 - dimensional fitting based on body measurements

    28:40 - ball gets closer when making it more upright



    http://www.golfwrx.c...fitting-system/
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • ryborybo Members Posts: 2,229 ✭✭
    edited Jan 11, 2019 8:21am #475
    6’ 9” Jonathan ‘Jigger’ Thomson European Tour



    Ping stretched to fitting limit with him. Suspect they ran out of additional shaft length and had no choice but to go 5* up.

  • SixSixGolfSixSixGolf Members Posts: 386 ✭✭
    edited Jan 11, 2019 3:05pm #476
    That's pretty extreme, even for 6'9". I bet they go lie angle instead of length because of swingweight.
  • ryborybo Members Posts: 2,229 ✭✭
    SixSixGolf wrote:


    That's pretty extreme, even for 6'9". I bet they go lie angle instead of length because of swingweight.




    Not sure, He's playing DG X100's at +1.75" , they have to be swingweighting pretty high even using the lightest weights in the heads.



    Found a video of him going over his clubs.



  • LCPLCP Members Posts: 1,268 ✭✭
    rybo wrote:

    SixSixGolf wrote:


    That's pretty extreme, even for 6'9". I bet they go lie angle instead of length because of swingweight.




    Not sure, He's playing DG X100's at +1.75" , they have to be swingweighting pretty high even using the lightest weights in the heads.



    Found a video of him going over his clubs.



    https://www.youtube....h?v=bpZNCD3nQwg




    I'm playing DG X100's at +1.75" with Cushin inserts and have D6-D7 with those lengths. D8 in my 9 iron that is +2". Ping G30's.
  • SixSixGolfSixSixGolf Members Posts: 386 ✭✭
    LCP wrote:

    rybo wrote:

    SixSixGolf wrote:


    That's pretty extreme, even for 6'9". I bet they go lie angle instead of length because of swingweight.




    Not sure, He's playing DG X100's at +1.75" , they have to be swingweighting pretty high even using the lightest weights in the heads.



    Found a video of him going over his clubs.



    [url="




    I'm playing DG X100's at +1.75" with Cushin inserts and have D6-D7 with those lengths. D8 in my 9 iron that is +2". Ping G30's.




    I've done the counterbalance thing and it just isnt the same as a properly swing weighted long club. I had some custom heads made to D5 at +2" and couldn't be happier.
  • ryborybo Members Posts: 2,229 ✭✭
    edited Jan 14, 2019 8:12am #480
    SixSixGolf wrote:


    I've done the counterbalance thing and it just isnt the same as a properly swing weighted long club. I had some custom heads made to D5 at +2" and couldn't be happier.




    Please share who made these heads
  • archer1archer1 Members Posts: 135 ✭✭
    I am 6' 4” with disproportionately long legs and, towards the end of 2017, I applied Rybo's approach to fitting, i.e. take one's highest lofted wedge with an uncut shaft, establish an athletic position, measure resultant length of club, grip and test. (Rybo was kind enough to look at a photograph of me and confirm the athletic nature of my posture.)



    I ended up with my 58 degree wedge being 38” long and having a lie angle of 66 degrees. With these specifications, full shots were consistently middle-of-face strikes. I then rebuilt my existing irons (3-PW Macgregor Pro Cs with DG S300 shafts and Star Tour Wrap midsize grips) as follows: 3/8” length and 7g increments from club to club. The six iron in this set is 39 3/4” long and weighs 458g.



    I do not concern myself with swingweight as my specifications lie so far outside of what is considered to be normal. (Mike Tait, the founder of SMT Golf, once commented on people's obsession with SW numbers by saying, “I can swingweight a telegraph pole to D4 but this does not mean you are able to swing it.”.) Instead I focus on the heft of club. I like to hold a mid iron in my left hand and, if the grip feels right, ask myself two questions. Do I like the overall weight? Can I feel the head? I know the weight of my clubs would not suit someone with a quick tempo viz. Nick Price or Matt Fitzpatrick. Given I am a swinger of the club with a smooth, deliberate tempo, the weight does not bother me.



    I played well with this set but wondered whether a lighter set would perform better. During the course of 2018 I tested three different sets of irons all with the same lengths, weight increments, lie angles and with the same model of Star grip. A set of Wishon 555 cavity backs shafted with 80g, stiff Recoil shafts (6 iron weighed 403g); a set of Mizuno T Zoid Pro shafted with DG XP95 stiff shafts (6 iron weighed 428g); and a set of Tourstage X Blades shafted with stiff, NS Pro 950 shafts (6 iron weighed 453g). As single handicap player with solid eye/hand coordination, I hit all sets either on, or very close to, to the sweet spot.



    I immensely disliked the Recoil shafted Wishons. There was always a sense of vagueness to the strike. I also felt they were too light for my established tempo. The Mizunos were much better but I was more accurate with the 6-PW than I was with the 3-5 irons. The Tourstage irons were love at first swing. I did not think I would find a more playable set than Macgregors but I have. From the 3 iron to the PW, the Tourstage are the best feeling irons (heft, ball-off-face and sole-through-turf) I have ever played. The combination of lighter shafts and heavier heads, compared to the Macgregors, works wonderfully well for my swing.



    As someone, like many, whose physical characteristics mean retail offerings (irons and wedges) are largely irrelevant, I am delighted to have a terrific set in play: and a great back-up set in the cupboard. I would like to end this long post by, once again, thanking Rybo for posting so much valuable information.
Sign In or Register to comment.