ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Gas Grill vs. Charcoal vs. Pellet

2»

Comments

• highergr0undhighergr0und Advanced Members Posts: 10,131 ✭✭
    You don't want a pellet grill but you bought a pellet grill? Not trying to be snarky, curious what makes this better?
  • sTmGolfersTmGolfer Advanced Members Posts: 995

You don't want a pellet grill but you bought a pellet grill? Not trying to be snarky, curious what makes this better?

I went into this threading unsure of wanting a pellet grill. When I initially started this discussion, I had somewhat already made up my mind I wanted a Kamado grill. But after doing more research, pellet grill made the most sense.

The difference of the Grilla brand is customer service. Like over the top good customer service. Their grill may or may not be any better or worse than a Traeger/Rec Tec/etc. But their price is a heck of a lot better than comparative grills.

But this model just looks super cool. Very unique footprint. I liked everything about it. They have a pretty active YouTube channel that has some pretty neat videos on their grills and how they got started into the business.
    Driver: PING G400 MAX 10.5 degree, Project X Evenflow Black 6.0
    3 wood: PING G410 SF Tec 16 degree Tensei CK Orange 70-Stiff
    Hybrids: PING G410 19 degree Tensei CK Blue Pro 80-Stiff / 22 degree Project X Evenflow Black 6.0
    Irons: PING G410 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
    Wedges: PING Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50SS/54WS/58WS DGS300
    Putter: Axis 1 Joey.
    Nice. I'm sure it'll crank out some good food! Can't beat elite customer service.
    Boy does this thing put out some good food! Samples from this weekend. It was delicious! Couldn’t be happier with the pellet grill.

Hybrids: PING G410 19 degree Tensei CK Blue Pro 80-Stiff / 22 degree Project X Evenflow Black 6.0
    Awesome!!
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 23,999 ClubWRX
    Over many years of grilling I've used Weber charcoal grills, gas grills, etc. A few months ago I added this Komodo style vessel to the grilling arsenal and won't be going back.

789792067193.jpg

It is awesome at temperature management by the design, charcoal can be reused up to 3x, still using it in colder temps and just use a propane torch to get it started. For Christmas it's hosting a 10 pound prime rib that'll be on for 4-5 hours around 230-250. Already excited for the roast!
    i was very close to getting the Char-Griller Akorn. Much cheaper version than the comparative ceramic grills. I may still add one to my arsenal at some point because Kamado's are so versatile. I truly thought I was going to get a Kamado style of some king and ultimately changed gears and decided on the pellet grill. I must say ... I don't regret the pellet decision one bit.

That's the great thing about grilling/BBQ ... so many different methods/styles/cookers to produce great Q. Let us know how the roast comes out! That lump charcoal flavor is tough to beat!
  • Kingcat990Kingcat990 European Tailored Golf Socks Advanced Members Posts: 3,781 ✭✭
    I'm in the market. I'm a smoker guy myself and am split between a RecTec, Orion, or green egg. I read some reviews on the egg, that's promising. I've never owned a pellet grill and I'm pretty hesitant. I chugged along with a barrel style with side smoke box. It worked well so long as I babysat it. Would be great if they made a 3 dimensional grill that could maintain consisten heat over a wide resolution, do a good smoke, and have the capability to sear. If anyone knows of such a grand grill; I am in the market for it.
    Wyoming Cowboys
    There are some pellet grills that can sear over direct like the Mak line. High quality units that should do everything you're looking for
  • USAF Retired E7USAF Retired E7 Finnish American Advanced Members Posts: 302 ✭✭
    edited February 27

Big Green Egg and Rec Tec!

I have a Rectec 680 pellet smoker, bought it 3 years ago and every cook, we feel it's the best purchase we ever made.

There's nothing better than a reverse seared filet off this smoker.

We use my older Weber gasser to sear. I've seared on the Rectec, but feel it's best to not crank the temps...not worried, but easier on the gasser.

6 year warranty from Rectec. Only issue I've had is my temp probe went bad. Called them Saturday night on a holiday weekend. Rectec called me back in 5 minutes and had the new probe sent Monday am. The owner gives his cell number out to call if you need help.

If you want more of a grill, the Rectec Bullseye should be perfect. Its shaped like a Weber kettle but is a pellet grill/smoker.

Check reviews on Rectec and their customer service.

https://www.rectecgrills.com/grills/
    M2 Driver, 16 Degree and 19 degree
    PXG 0311 4-Pw
    Vokey 50 and 56
    Odyssey O Works #7, red
    Kingcat990 wrote:

I'm in the market. I'm a smoker guy myself and am split between a RecTec, Orion, or green egg. I read some reviews on the egg, that's promising. I've never owned a pellet grill and I'm pretty hesitant. I chugged along with a barrel style with side smoke box. It worked well so long as I babysat it. Would be great if they made a 3 dimensional grill that could maintain consisten heat over a wide resolution, do a good smoke, and have the capability to sear. If anyone knows of such a grand grill; I am in the market for it.

I was very similar to you ... hesitant to buy a pellet grill. I was used to using a stick burner and UDS. The purist mantra kept itching its way into my head ... “pellet grills don’t produce good smoke flavor, blah blah blah.” But I just don’t have the time or patience to put that much effort into it anymore with young kids. So I made the leap and purchased the pellet grill. Haven’t regretted that decision. Not. One. Bit. It’s been so much fun to use and produces amazing food. My only regret ... not doing it sooner. Seriously.

I’d highly recommend looking into the Grilla Grills company rather than a Rec Tec. When I started this thread, I was doing a ton of research ... definitely overkill but I enjoy researching things like this ad nauseum.

They cost less, build quality is at a minimum equal to if not better, their customer service is leaps and bounds better. They’re just a fantastic company. Absolutely the best bang for the buck for pellet grills. Can hit temps of 500 which is plenty to grill on. It’s prodiced by far the best bbq I’ve ever made and with such ease.

Big Green Egg and Rec Tec!

I have a Rectec 680 pellet smoker, bought it 3 years ago and every cook, we feel it's the best purchase we ever made.

There's nothing better than a reverse seared filet off this smoker.

We use my older Weber gasser to sear. I've seared on the Rectec, but feel it's best to not crank the temps...not worried, but easier on the gasser.

6 year warranty from Rectec. Only issue I've had is my temp probe went bad. Called them Saturday night on a holiday weekend. Rectec called me back in 5 minutes and had the new probe sent Monday am. The owner gives his cell number out to call if you need help.

If you want more of a grill, the Rectec Bullseye should be perfect. Its shaped like a Weber kettle but is a pellet grill/smoker.

Check reviews on Rectec and their customer service.

[url="https://www.rectecgrills.com/grills/"]https://www.rectecgrills.com/grills/[/url]

Amen to reverse seared ribeyes! Feel like I can’t go back and do it any other way.
  • Kingcat990Kingcat990 European Tailored Golf Socks Advanced Members Posts: 3,781 ✭✭
    sTmGolfer wrote:

Kingcat990 wrote:

I was very similar to you ... hesitant to buy a pellet grill. I was used to using a stick burner and UDS. The purist mantra kept itching its way into my head ... “pellet grills don’t produce good smoke flavor, blah blah blah.” But I just don’t have the time or patience to put that much effort into it anymore with young kids. So I made the leap and purchased the pellet grill. Haven’t regretted that decision. Not. One. Bit. It’s been so much fun to use and produces amazing food. My only regret ... not doing it sooner. Seriously.

I’d highly recommend looking into the Grilla Grills company rather than a Rec Tec. When I started this thread, I was doing a ton of research ... definitely overkill but I enjoy researching things like this ad nauseum.

They cost less, build quality is at a minimum equal to if not better, their customer service is leaps and bounds better. They’re just a fantastic company. Absolutely the best bang for the buck for pellet grills. Can hit temps of 500 which is plenty to grill on. It’s prodiced by far the best bbq I’ve ever made and with such ease.

This is without a doubt exactly the kind of information I was seeking. I got so used to a regiment of smoking with the barrel that anything else seems impervious to an original outcome. The fear of applying a new process I suppose. I also have little ones, so a set and forget system would be ideal.

When you guys purchased a new grill/smoker, did you throw low quality meats in your grill the first few times to get the hang of it? Or did you guys jump right into the family reunion feast?
    Wyoming Cowboys
    Kingcat990 wrote:

sTmGolfer wrote:

Kingcat990 wrote:

This is without a doubt exactly the kind of information I was seeking. I got so used to a regiment of smoking with the barrel that anything else seems impervious to an original outcome. The fear of applying a new process I suppose. I also have little ones, so a set and forget system would be ideal.

When you guys purchased a new grill/smoker, did you throw low quality meats in your grill the first few times to get the hang of it? Or did you guys jump right into the family reunion feast?

I just buy meat when they put it on sale the vast majority of the time. Started with pork butts because they’re the most forgiving and hard to **** up. But undoubtedly, I’ll still **** something up which is part of the fun I suppose.

One advantage of the pellet grills is that it does make it much easier to produce good bbq. Maybe not as intense of smoke flavor, but always great flavor, moist, and super easy.
2»