Most beneficial non-golf sport/activity?

wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat SunflowerMembers Posts: 897 ✭✭
edited Jan 3, 2019 4:44pm in Juniors/College Golf Talk #1
Which sport do you feel helps build athletic skill the most that translates to golf? Yes, all polls have flaws. It's a slow week at work.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• darter79darter79 Members Posts: 701 ✭✭
    at your kids age any sport would be. My daughter plays basketball in the winter months, in the past she has played softball but under the age of 12 all sports are beneficial.
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,117 ✭✭
    Football, Boxing, Dirt Bike Racing, and Skiing.

In all seriousness, Basketball. My daughter played tennis early on and I think that helped a lot with golf.
  • wlmwlm Members Posts: 95 ✭✭
    Baseball. Rotational power/speed.
  • kcapkcap Members Posts: 157 ✭✭
    Ice hockey.. Build up leg strength while execution of hockey shot and golf swing has a lot in common
  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 897 ✭✭
    I voted baseball but basketball would be my close #2. Greg Norman would likely choose surfing.
  • TigerMomTigerMom Members Posts: 214 ✭✭
    Martial arts for balance, discipline and core strength

And to defend yourself against bullies (including online)
  • yellowlover519yellowlover519 Members Posts: 306 ✭✭
    If I had to guess: basketball, baseball (if you swing opposite of a golf club) and martial arts. But I don’t think there’s one beneficial alternative sport. I think the point is a golfer that’s an athlete all around (or more athletic) has a higher ceiling than a non-athletic person golfer. But the non-athletic golfer that has played and practiced multiples of the athletic golfer will always be better given the nature of the sport.
  • theboypinoytheboypinoy Members Posts: 2,076 ✭✭
    Personal anecdote, but basketball was great
  • mikpgamikpga www.mikedeitersgolf.com Members Posts: 7,376 ✭✭
    Billiards and Ping Pong
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,436 ✭✭
    edited Jan 3, 2019 9:17pm #11
    Hockey by far IMO although half of those others I never did. Next after that baseball or tennis/ping pong. IMO, it has to be a sport where you swing a stick or at least another object that hits a ball/object in a very specific manner. Hockey being the most apples to apples to golf out of the whole list as you're using a long stick thingy, and shifting weight to lead foot (usually) in order to quickly use that stick thing to propel the ball thing (puck in this case) toward a specific point (top corner bar down baby!!).

Baseball gets my #2 although the mechanics are somewhat different as you actually want to stay a bit more on the back foot/leg. Transferring weight to the front leg too much too fast will see your B.A. plummet most likely. You also get to spray the ball thing anywhere within that large diamond as accuracy isn't usually a priority, although on hit and runs it tends to be. Also, the ball is moving and as a player you need to be very focused on that ball. With golf if you focus too much on the ball.. your swing/technique could suffer.
    WITB
    OG Epic Sub Zero HZRDUS Smoke 60 6.5
    LTD Tour Blue 75X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85x or Rogue Tour Blue 85x
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW Modus 120X
    Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
    Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
    Stealth 2.0 58/10SS or SM6 60/08M Modus 125 Wedge
    TP Ardmore 2 Red-White or TP Juno
    ProV1x
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

• heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,117 ✭✭
    TigerMom wrote:

You seem to know a lot about bullying on the internet. Do you do that on social media as well? Do they teach you how to do it in Karate class?
  • CTgolfCTgolf Members Posts: 440 ✭✭
    Skiing, to develop spirituality

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8034586/near-death-experience-ski-accident-austria/

“'IT WAS SO PEACEFUL' Brit skier, 29, saw ‘the afterlife’ after she died for 20 MINUTES in avalanche before coming back to life”

I guess climbing out of an avalanche could develop strong core and grip too
  • cwglumcwglum Members Posts: 1,562 ✭✭
    I would say, depends on the Kid. If the kid really wants more social interaction than the individual sport of golf provides, Team sport is the way to go. Golf is slow and over thought out for the most part, so balance it out with any other quick reaction sport.

TigerMom wrote:

You seem to know a lot about bullying on the internet. Do you do that on social media as well? Do they teach you how to do it in Karate class?

Ironic that YOU are accusing me of bullying

Pot...kettle...black
  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 897 ✭✭
    Wow, lots of votes for hockey. Would never have considered that myself. I'm surprised nobody mentioned Fortnite.
  • TigerswagTigerswag Members Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Best complimentary sports activities

Wrestling

Kick boxing

Both involve the entire body. They also help teach our bodies how to control and move power.

Darts

Fooseball

Ping pong

Yep, games of skill. Develops touch and hand/eye

Workouts?

Box jumps

Rotational / TPI stuff

Explosive core work

This may not fall under the sport/activity section, but, its benefits... reading dr. Bob. Hearing from the best is always helpful.

Hope this helps.
  • dave williedave willie Members Posts: 800 ✭✭
    I checked Skiing/Snowboarding because it was about the closest sport to waterskiing on that list. Slalom Waterskiing is good for your arms and shoulders, but is absolutely wonderful for core fitness and overall strength including your legs. I can definitely see distance gains and better power through the ball when I ski regularly during the summer.
    Titleist 917 D3 10.5 Diamana Ltd S+ Blue 70-S
    Cobra Bio Cell 3/4 wood PXv 6.0
    Cleveland Hi-Bore 19 hybrid
    Ping i210 4-PW AWT 2.0 R
    Cleveland 588 50*, 54* & 60*
    Cameron Mil-Spec & Del Mar 2 Tei
  • fore_lifefore_life Swung too hard, hit it too pure. Members Posts: 10,366 ✭✭
    Skateboarding
    Ping G400 LST Ust Attas Earth 9f5
    M4 15* with bimatrix rocket X
    Titleist 21* H2 evenflow blue 6.5
    718 tmb 4 iron
    718 cb 5-pw amt x100 tour
    Vokeys
    Cleveland TA milled 1i

Various other putters currently in the closet,
    thinking about what they've done wrong,
    and how they've hurt me so.
    I also think Tennis (and other racket sports) are very useful in developing mental toughness

Playing a specific opponent is a different dimension than just trying to play one's best against a field

It is essential to winning even at the lower junior levels of Tennis

Doesn't seem as important in golf at the younger ages

But seems at the higher levels of golf the mental aspect becomes increasingly important
  • tommiwtommiw Members Posts: 1
    Vote for ice hockey also from here. If you have ever played ice hockey you have noticed how skating trains the core muscles of your body without you even noticing it. Obviously it adds also strength to your legs and improves your balance. And really without you even noticing it because you are usually only concentrating on the actually game with all your opponents and teammates.

In hockey they practice stick handling quite a lot and from my own experience I have to say that it improves your hand-eye coordination that will help you in any sport that uses some kind of stick (Baseball, tennis, badminton etc.). People usually tend to shoot from the other side compared to their golf/baseball swing and I would guess that gives a nice balance since your training is not that one-sided.

Both of my kids play hockey, and the younger one plays also basketball and floorball. If you wonder what that is, it is kind of like hockey but you use shoes and instead of puck you use a ball. That also does wonders to your hand eye coordination but since you are running it is not that demanding balance wise.

Some photos here -> https://www.flickr.com/photos/iff_floorball/albums/72157676507160118