ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Are manufacturers shafting consumer for custom drivers?

Danny ChooDanny Choo Advanced Members Posts: 136
edited January 28 in WRX Club Techs
Decided to do a custom buy test from Callaway, Cobra, Taylormade and PXG with Tensei ck pro orange 60 shaft. Three manufacturers charge $250 for the upgrade and one charges only $125. Are we being shafted by some manufacturers? Check pics and see for yourself.

Comments

• SubaruWRXSubaruWRX Advanced Members Posts: 3,280 ✭✭
    Economies of scale?

At least the consumer has choices.
    “I think getting advice from guys who are sitting at the computer in their underwear while taking a break from **** is a very solid way to choose clubs.” - bluedot
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff The GOAT Advanced Members Posts: 27,957 ✭✭
    It's really hard to take a snapshot of one shaft and make judgements based on that. Who knows that their costs are behind the scenes or what shaft OEMs have deals with which club OEMs

I find it to be all over the map. How come Cobra offers C-Tapers or Modus3 130's for zero upcharge on an irons set that costs 1250$ CAD yet Ping doesn't offer them on irons that cost 500 more?

How come Callaway offers pretty much ANY shaft at no upcharge on their X forged, but almost nothing on their Rogue Pro. A set of Rogue Pros with C-Tapers costs the same as a set of XForged with Ctapers and that doesn't really make sense

I stopped asking questions long ago....well except the above two i guess
    Cobra F8+ 8.5 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV 65
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w//Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S300
    Odyssey O-works #7 Red Tank
  • grm24grm24 Advanced Members Posts: 2,908 ✭✭
    edited January 29
    Subtle PXG humble brag by the OP on the shaft upcharge cost. Hmm. Wonder if he still ahem "hates" his PXG irons?
  • Joker91Joker91 Advanced Members Posts: 371 ✭✭
    Oh it's this guy
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff The GOAT Advanced Members Posts: 27,957 ✭✭
    OP history aside I think it's an interesting point. The varying upcharges for shafts across OEM's is a strange thing
    Cobra F8+ 8.5 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV 65
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w//Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S300
    Odyssey O-works #7 Red Tank