2019 LPGA Season Odds and Ends

Comments

• 18majors18majors Members  2001WRX Points: 1,341Posts: 2,001 Platinum Tees

Atthaya the Great!
    She's only 16, and she's on the verge to win her second professional tournament.
    "Teen prodigy and ex-champion Atthaya Thitikul continued to demonstrate her extraordinary talent as she built a commanding eight-stroke lead heading into the final round of the Ladies European Thailand Championship at Phoenix Gold Golf and Country Club."

https://ladieseuropeantour.com/?p=59757

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Argonne69Argonne69 Members  23360WRX Points: 7,336Posts: 23,360 Titanium Tees

On -, @URStillAway said:

Beatriz Recari announced she is taking an “indefinite time off from the LPGA”

Is she injured again?

That's usually the case, no? She's been injured more than she's been healthy for a few years now.

Posted:

Atthaya Thitikul, 16 years old amateur from Thailand, won her second LET event by 5 shots.

https://ladieseuropeantour.com/?p=59777

Posted:

Hannah Green moves up 85 spots on the Rolex rankings to 29th. Sung Hyun and Lexi swap places at #2 and #4. Brooke drops two spots to #7 as Nasa and 6ix each move up. Nelly moves back into the top 10.

Posted:

Muni He is No. 171 on priority list as of June 17 reshuffle; a position equivalent to no LPGA status.
    Priority No. 166 and higher qualified for Walmart Tournament this week; Muni is Monday qualifying today.

Posted:

Jennifer Kupcho isn't playing this week; she may be injured which may have accounted for her poor showing at KPMG.
    Maria Fassi is a sponsor invite; which isn't necessary because she's No. 157 on priority list.
    They should've rescinded the invite and given it to Muni!

Posted:

Advertisement

Nelly Korda broke 90,000 in Instagram followers; placing her 10th on LPGA list.
    She's behind Wie, Lexi, Muni, Gulbis, Paula, Cheyenne, Lydia, Jessica and Danielle.

Posted:
    Post edited by 18majors on

On -, @18majors said:

Jennifer Kupcho isn't playing this week; she may be injured which may have accounted for her poor showing at KPMG.
    Maria Fassi is a sponsor invite; which isn't necessary because she's No. 157 on priority list.
    They should've rescinded the invite and given it to Muni!

I'd say Jennifer is simply taking a rest. She played four tournaments in a row starting with the USWO. If you include the NCAA Division I Championship, she played five straight weeks. 'Time to recharge the batteries.

Maria skipped the Meijer, so this will be her second week in a row playing.

Posted:
  • Enduro59Enduro59 Members  155WRX Points: 138Posts: 155 Fairways

On -, @18majors said:

Nelly Korda broke 90,000 in Instagram followers; placing her 9th on LPGA list.
    She's behind Wie, Lexi, Muni, Gulbis, Paula, Cheyenne, Jessica and Danielle.

What exactly is an instagram follower?

Posted:

On -, @Enduro59 said:

On -, @18majors said:

A follower is a fan who signs up to follow a person or a star on Instagram.
    90,000 followers means 90,000 fans.

Posted:
  • ChronicSlicerChronicSlicer Members  1486WRX Points: 747Posts: 1,486 Platinum Tees

On -, @Argonne69 said:

Hannah Green moves up 85 spots on the Rolex rankings to 29th. Sung Hyun and Lexi swap places at #2 and #4. Brooke drops two spots to #7 as Nasa and 6ix each move up. Nelly moves back into the top 10.

Whoa, 85 spots to 29. I must say that seems a little unfair to be vaulted to the 29th "best" player in the world. Oh well, good luck Hannah.

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @18majors said:

On -, @Enduro59 said:

On -, @18majors said:

Thanks for that. Kinda sounds like modern day fan clubs, but nobody uses the word fan club anymore. Not sure what to think or say about about the players whose names are at the top of that list.
    On the topic above the instagram one it did seem like this last week's tournament was a" back to earth moment"for Kupcho.
    I'm still trying to wrap my tiny mind around how J. Kang went from not being able to pat her **** cheeks using both hands for at least 3 years to being near top of the leader board going into Saturday. She is to me like Christie Kerr is to many on this board. I like to see Christie do well but the worse Kang and a few others do the more it keeps me interested.

Posted:

On -, @Enduro59 said:

On -, @18majors said:

On -, @Enduro59 said:

On -, @18majors said:

Thanks for that. Kinda sounds like modern day fan clubs, but nobody uses the word fan club anymore. Not sure what to think or say about about the players whose names are at the top of that list.
    On the topic above the instagram one it did seem like this last week's tournament was a" back to earth moment"for Kupcho.
    I'm still trying to wrap my tiny mind around how J. Kang went from not being able to pat her **** cheeks using both hands for at least 3 years to being near top of the leader board going into Saturday. She is to me like Christie Kerr is to many on this board. I like to see Christie do well but the worse Kang and a few others do the more it keeps me interested.

For your information, Jimin Kang signed up for Monday Qualifier to qualify for this week's Walmart event.
    But she withdrew before hitting a shot.

Posted:

On -, @18majors said:

On -, @Enduro59 said:

On -, @18majors said:

On -, @Enduro59 said:

On -, @18majors said:

For your information, Jimin Kang is playing Monday Qualifier right now to qualify for this week's Walmart event.

Hopefully she will carry her form from yesterday into today. I saw she was entered in the qualifier last week (looked like a smallish field),but I will hold out hope that she doesn't qualify until she does, then will be rooting for a missed cut. Were qualifiers held for spots in the PGA ? If not then how did she have status to play it ?

Posted:

On -, @Enduro59 said:

On -, @18majors said:

On -, @Enduro59 said:

On -, @18majors said:

On -, @Enduro59 said:

On -, @18majors said:

For your information, Jimin Kang is playing Monday Qualifier right now to qualify for this week's Walmart event.

Hopefully she will carry her form from yesterday into today. I saw she was entered in the qualifier last week (looked like a smallish field),but I will hold out hope that she doesn't qualify until she does, then will be rooting for a missed cut. Were qualifiers held for spots in the PGA ? If not then how did she have status to play it ?

Possibly she withdrew because the money she made at the PGA will be enough to give her status for next year ?

Posted:

On -, @Enduro59 said:

On -, @18majors said:

On -, @Enduro59 said:

On -, @18majors said:

On -, @Enduro59 said:

On -, @18majors said:

She won't play this week; she withdrew from the qualifying tournament.

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @Enduro59 said:

On -, @Enduro59 said:

On -, @18majors said:

On -, @Enduro59 said:

On -, @18majors said:

On -, @Enduro59 said:

On -, @18majors said:

Possibly she withdrew because the money she made at the PGA will be enough to give her status for next year ?

She made 6,875 from KPMG; she needs about $120,000 to lock down a 2020 LPGA status.

Posted:
  • ChronicSlicerChronicSlicer Members  1486WRX Points: 747Posts: 1,486 Platinum Tees

On -, @Enduro59 said:

Not sure what to think or say about about the players whose names are at the top of that list.

These girls ( Wie, Lexi, Muni, Gulbis, Paula, Cheyenne, Jessica and Danielle ) have the largest following amongst the Instagram world for a reason, I'll guarantee you it's not because they are dominating the LPGA, well 3 of them do rather well on the course. The others are there from looks alone. I'd say 1/4 of the followers are serious golf fans, the other 3/4 are there for eye candy.

Posted:

On -, @18majors said:

On -, @Enduro59 said:

On -, @Enduro59 said:

On -, @18majors said:

On -, @Enduro59 said:

On -, @18majors said:

On -, @Enduro59 said:

On -, @18majors said:

She made 6,875 from KPMG; she needs about $120,000 to lock down a 2020 LPGA status.

Wow, her tumble down the leader board Saturday and Sunday cost her a lot. Do you know how she got into the KPMG field?
    Looks like other than Q school she has a long way to go and a short time to get there for next years status. Whew I breathe a sigh of relief. Who knows though if she keeps getting in the field in majors.......well I guess if Pernilla and Hannah can win a major so can Jimin?

Posted:
  • agolf1agolf1 Members  1915WRX Points: 1,092Posts: 1,915 Platinum Tees

On -, @18majors said:

Muni He is No. 171 on priority list as of June 17 reshuffle; a position equivalent to no LPGA status.
    Priority No. 166 and higher qualified for Walmart Tournament this week; Muni is Monday qualifying today.

What is the significance of her drop from No. 156? I understand the basics of going down the list until the spots are filled, so all else equal higher is better. But is there also some natural break within this group (Q-School or the re-shuffled #13 category) where you can usually play vs. can rarely play?

I just noticed the season is half over by tournament count (good time to look at the stats/rankings). Are the Asian events still only open to certain ranking players (along with the Tour Championship)? There are 11 tournaments outside of these remaining.

Posted:
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    PING G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    PING Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    PING Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  PING Eye 2+ (58*) or PING Eye 2 XG (60*)

On -, @agolf1 said:

On -, @18majors said:

What is the significance of her drop from No. 156? I understand the basics of going down the list until the spots are filled, so all else equal higher is better. But is there also some natural break within this group (Q-School or the re-shuffled #13 category) where you can usually play vs. can rarely play?

I just noticed the season is half over by tournament count (good time to look at the stats/rankings). Are the Asian events still only open to certain ranking players (along with the Tour Championship)? There are 11 tournaments outside of these remaining.

I know it's not quantum physics but I too have the same question(s) as you only for different reasons. I guess once someone understands it then it is easier to retain with a little practice.
    The qualifier website seemed a little balky for me earlier but it seems that Muni won the qualifier for this weekend's tournament, which happens to be on the one year anniversary of her lone victory on Symetra tour..

Posted:

Advertisement

I also noticed that there are only 4 Asian events now. For a while, there was a 5th event, TBD, after the Japan event. Logistically, this probably makes more sense with a week off before the Tour Championship. And for the non-Asian players 5 weeks in a row is probably too much anyways (I'd say 4 is a stretch).

I'm hoping to go to one of the fall events. But the weather is can be really bad at the Taiwan event and Korean event will be packed. Only leaves Shanghai or Japan.

Posted:
    PING Zing 2 L/S (57*)
  • Seamus_McDuffSeamus_McDuff Members  982WRX Points: 166Handicap: 4.3Posts: 982 Golden Tee

On -, @Enduro59 said:

On -, @18majors said:

On -, @Enduro59 said:

On -, @Enduro59 said:

On -, @18majors said:

On -, @Enduro59 said:

On -, @18majors said:

On -, @Enduro59 said:

On -, @18majors said:

Wow, her tumble down the leader board Saturday and Sunday cost her a lot. Do you know how she got into the KPMG field?
    Looks like other than Q school she has a long way to go and a short time to get there for next years status. Whew I breathe a sigh of relief. Who knows though if she keeps getting in the field in majors.......well I guess if Pernilla and Hannah can win a major so can

She got in as a Club Pro. No idea where she teaches at.

Posted:
  • fanofserifanofseri Members  173WRX Points: 225Posts: 173 Fairways

On -, @URStillAway said:

Is she injured again?

Love her. Hope it is something minor like a pregnancy.

Posted:

Good news, Muni is set to play the next 4 events.

Posted:

On -, @18majors said:

Who's she playing with at the team event? Feng and Liu Yu are playing together (China).

Posted:
    PING Zing 2 L/S (57*)

Advertisement

On -, @agolf1 said:

On -, @18majors said:

Who's she playing with at the team event? Feng and Liu Yu are playing together (China).

I don't know.
    My guess is Tiffany Chan of Hong Kong; they're teammates at University of Southern California.

Posted:

On -, @Seamus_McDuff said:

On -, @Enduro59 said:

On -, @18majors said:

On -, @Enduro59 said:

On -, @Enduro59 said:

On -, @18majors said:

On -, @Enduro59 said:

On -, @18majors said:

On -, @Enduro59 said:

On -, @18majors said:

Looks like other than Q school she has a long way to go and a short time to get there for next years status. Whew I breathe a sigh of relief. Who knows though if she keeps getting in the field in majors.......well I guess if Pernilla and Hannah can win a major so can

She got in as a Club Pro. No idea where she teaches at.

She got her teaching certification last December. She's still looking for a permanent home.

https://golfdigest.com/story/how-quitting-golf-and-going-back-to-school-led-jimin-kang-right-back-to-the-weekend-at-a-major

Posted:
  • AWinfortheAgesAWinfortheAges Members  308WRX Points: 201Posts: 308 Greens

I'm curious to hear opinions on this; Would it be a good idea and fair to the field if a few male celebrity golfers were invited to participate in the DowGLI? Say Steph Curry and Andre Iguodala and some of the guys that played in the Diamond Resorts? Two or three teams max.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • fredogolferfredogolfer Members  316WRX Points: 152Posts: 316 Greens

On -, @URStillAway said:

Is she injured again?

Beatriz is a lovely person and a talented player but she has been injured as of late. However, I think a lot of her issues aren't related to her physical health. I think a lot of it has to do with her emotional health and the people she chose to keep around her. Rather cryptic I know.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.