718 Ap2 Vs 19' Apex Pro

moorebaseballmoorebaseball Members Posts: 258 ✭✭
Which one are you finding more forgiving?

Comments

• CTCCTC Members Posts: 65 ✭✭
  • Weston11Weston11 Members Posts: 186 ✭✭
    I tested both back-to-back, alternating between them, and found more consistent results with the Apex Pro. There are obviously a ton of factors that could contribute to those results, but I walked away thinking the Apex Pros were more forgiving.
    Driver: TS3 8.5 - Even Flow White 75 6.5
    Fairway: TS2 15 - AD DI 8X
    Irons: Titleist 680 (4-9) - DG X7 
    Wedges: SM7 46F, 51F, 55S, and 59D - DG TI S400 Onyx
    Putter: Byron Morgan 615 
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,887 ClubWRX
    Weston11 wrote:

I tested both back-to-back, alternating between them, and found more consistent results with the Apex Pro. There are obviously a ton of factors that could contribute to those results, but I walked away thinking the Apex Pros were more forgiving.

How did the two compare in terms of head size, top-line, offset, blade length, feel, etc?
    PING G400 LST 10* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
    TaylorMade M1 15* Tour Issue - Aldila Tour Blue 75X
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* - Diamana S+ 80X
    PXG 0311T 4-P - Dynamic Gold AMT TI S400
    Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 68 - DGTI S400
    Machine M2A Converter
    Titleist Pro V1 Yellow
  • balls_deepballs_deep Members Posts: 822 ✭✭
    The Apex Pro is going to go further. I wouldn't think you'd be too worried about forgiveness if you're looking at these clubs though.
    Cobra F9 Speedback Tour Spec Atmos Black 6x
    Titleist 917F2 15.75° Aldila Rogue Black 70s
    Titleist 816H1 20° Accra FX200H M4
    Ping iBlade 4-PW DGS30
    SM7 50F 54S 
    OG PM Grind 58
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 350g 34.5"
    Pro V1

In the mix:
    Titleist 816H1 23° Accra FX200H M4
    Vokey SM6 46F
    Vokey SM7 58D
    Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 35"

Currently - 8.7

• JStangJStang Members Posts: 2,471 ✭✭
    Weston11 wrote:

Did you hit them at Golf Galaxy on Gulf to Bay?
    '16 M2 Rogue Fairway | 915H 2 & 3 | Apex Pro Dot's | Vokey SM6 52, 58 | Studio Stainless Newport 2
  • Lip1337Lip1337 Members Posts: 456 ✭✭
    Hot Rod 71 wrote:

Weston11 wrote:

How did the two compare in terms of head size, top-line, offset, blade length, feel, etc?

Same question
    Callaway XR16 Pro 9* PX EvenFlow Black
    Callaway BB Fusion 3W EvenFlow Blue or Callaway x2hot Hybrid 16* Aldila Tour Green
    Callaway X Forged UT 18* PX EvenFlow Black 85
    Callaway Rogue Pro 4-PW KBS Tour V110
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Black 50*/55*/60* KBS Tour V110
    Odyssey ProType Tour Series #2 36"
    JStang wrote:

Weston11 wrote:

Yes, sir. I was in the Golftec area though, with my 718 AP2s and TP5X balls.
    Lip1337 wrote:

Hot Rod 71 wrote:

Weston11 wrote:

Same question

The biggest difference looking down at them to me was the mirror chrome face of the Apex Pros vs the satin finish on the AP2s. The topline may have been slightly thinner on the AP2s, but it was by a very small margin. The Apex Pros appeared to have a shorter blade length (could be because the chrome reflects the turf and makes them look smaller in my opinion) and slightly less offset. Both looked very good, but I really liked the chrome finish on the Apex Pros and something about the shape just looked a little better to me.

As for feel, I may be in the minority in looking at other posts, but I found the AP2s to feel quite a bit better (softer, more muted). I was hitting 7 irons of each and my understanding is that the Apex Pro 7 iron has cup face, which might impact the feel. To me, the Apex Pros felt springy and firmer.

I ended up ordering the Apex Pros, mainly because I'm a club ho, but also because the results were just more consistent.
  • moorebaseballmoorebaseball Members Posts: 258 ✭✭
    balls_deep wrote:

The Apex Pro is going to go further. I wouldn't think you'd be too worried about forgiveness if you're looking at these clubs though.

Yeah not worried about distance at all. I would imagine there would not be much difference in distance between the two. Are you seeing a big difference?

balls_deep wrote:

Yeah not worried about distance at all. I would imagine there would not be much difference in distance between the two. Are you seeing a big difference?

I was 5-6 yards longer with the Apex Pros (both the Apex Pro and my AP2 7 irons are at 33 degrees) due to lower spin and higher launch.
  • sheldonjhackersheldonjhacker Members Posts: 3,711 ✭✭
    balls_deep wrote:

True. My guess is the shorter blade length of the Apex would make them a bit less forgiving. Can't wait to hit them.
    Weston11 wrote:

balls_deep wrote:

I was 5-6 yards longer with the Apex Pros (both the Apex Pro and my AP2 7 irons are at 33 degrees) due to lower spin and higher launch.

What was the difference in spin?

Weston11 wrote:

balls_deep wrote:

What was the difference in spin?

Apex Pro, Elevate X: 5400

AP2, DG X100: 6300
  • JStangJStang Members Posts: 2,471 ✭✭
    Weston11 wrote:

JStang wrote:

Weston11 wrote:

Ok, just checking because the balls they use in the normal area are absolute trash. I saw low spin and long distances with the 16 Apex Pro as well.
    '16 M2 Rogue Fairway | 915H 2 & 3 | Apex Pro Dot's | Vokey SM6 52, 58 | Studio Stainless Newport 2
    edited Feb 12, 2019 11:53am #16
    JStang wrote:

Weston11 wrote:

JStang wrote:

Weston11 wrote:

Ok, just checking because the balls they use in the normal area are absolute trash. I saw low spin and long distances with the 16 Apex Pro as well.

Completely agree -- the beat-up, rock-hard Maxfli's they have in the normal hitting bays aren't good. The practice balls in the Golftec area aren't much better, so I just use my own.
  • johnroyal519johnroyal519 Members Posts: 86 ✭✭
    apex didnt spin enough. Too low spin for me.
  • woods991woods991 believelandClubWRX Posts: 2,382 ✭✭
    For me the Ap2 was going 3 yards further on average using ProV1x (18 version) both with Modus 120, very close in distance the biggest thing I noticed was less spin on the Apex for whatever reason too low at times. Forgiveness I feel the AP2 is smaller on the top line and longer on the face, toss up on forgiveness. The Apex looks are sweet but the AP2 is pretty to my eye no fancy "badging" which I like. So I went with the AP2's. Both great clubs, for me the AP2 line has been favorable for me in the past. Just a FYI I am coming from the CF16's for the passt 2 years which I loved so this is a big change for me this year.
    Signature of Solon CC
    Ping G400 max 10.5 TPT 16/ LKP / MT / SW 45”
    Titleist TS2 15* Diamana RF 70s 43”
    Titleist 917 f2 18* Diamana  Thump 70s
    Titleist 718 Ap2 5~PW Steelfiber i80s 
    Bridgestone Tour B X Hi 4 iron KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 85s
    Taylormade 50*, 55*, 60* Milled Grind Wedge Tour Only Nippon NS Pro WV 125S
    Evnroll ER9 Superstroke ultra slim 1.0p 33”
  • UnderPar18UnderPar18 Previously Ecsugolf1 Members Posts: 5,649 ✭✭
    Ap2 are better IMO. Looks better, better shape, better performance. Callaway are cheaper for me and I still went Titleist.
  • sheldonjhackersheldonjhacker Members Posts: 3,711 ✭✭
    What are the handicap ranges for these irons ? Ballpark?
    UnderPar18 wrote:

Ap2 are better IMO. Looks better, better shape, better performance. Callaway are cheaper for me and I still went Titleist.
    UnderPar18 wrote:

Will you elaborate on "better performance" please?
  • UnderPar18UnderPar18 Previously Ecsugolf1 Members Posts: 5,649 ✭✭

UnderPar18 wrote:

UnderPar18 wrote:

Will you elaborate on "better performance" please?

Tighter dispersion, more consistent shot shape for me. Don’t care about distance. AP2 looked better to my eye which the psychology of that could have played a role.
  • johnroyal519johnroyal519 Members Posts: 86 ✭✭

anyone can play AP2 they are so forgiviing its crazy. Under 13-14 ?
  • K13K13 Members Posts: 129 ✭✭
    Weston11 wrote:

Could that elevate shaft have something to do with the lower spin number? Anyone know how it profiles off hand? Surprised they're going with a made for shaft in the pros.
  • davo32683davo32683 Members Posts: 2,138 ✭✭
    karlin13 wrote:
    Weston11 wrote:

Could that elevate shaft have something to do with the lower spin number? Anyone know how it profiles off hand? Surprised they're going with a made for shaft in the pros.

That’s not a made for shaft. It’s True Temper’s new offering. A shaft made to increase spin to combat these lower spinning iron heads.
    Nothing is safe in my bag!
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,887 ClubWRX
    davo32683 wrote:

karlin13 wrote:
    Weston11 wrote:

That’s not a made for shaft. It’s True Temper’s new offering. A shaft made to increase spin to combat these lower spinning iron heads.

So irons are evolving from low launch/spin shafts into high spin heads, to high launch/spin shafts into low spin heads. Makes sense... image/derisive.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':derisive:' />
    PING G400 LST 10* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
    TaylorMade M1 15* Tour Issue - Aldila Tour Blue 75X
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* - Diamana S+ 80X
    PXG 0311T 4-P - Dynamic Gold AMT TI S400
    Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 68 - DGTI S400
    Machine M2A Converter
    Titleist Pro V1 Yellow
  • davo32683davo32683 Members Posts: 2,138 ✭✭
    Hot Rod 71 wrote:
    davo32683 wrote:

karlin13 wrote:
    Weston11 wrote:

So irons are evolving from low launch/spin shafts into high spin heads, to high launch/spin shafts into low spin heads. Makes sense... image/derisive.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':derisive:' />

Exactly. Crazy huh! From what I’ve understood manufacturers are getting the CG of irons so low that they launch extremely high. That’s the reason for most of the loft reduction in iron sets. Now they’re designing shafts to help elevate the ball and increase spin. It’s like a roller coaster
    Nothing is safe in my bag!
  • balls_deepballs_deep Members Posts: 822 ✭✭

anyone can play AP2 they are so forgiviing its crazy. Under 13-14 ?

For sure, though it depends completely on the player. A 14 I play with quite often could never get around a course with my AP2. He gets up and down for bogey and par but he runs his irons up on to the green - he can't drop and stop or go at pins. If you're got okay speed and a reasonably repeatable swing they're great. I'd say they're aimed at around a 10 and down. If you aren't working the ball I don't know why you'd use a players iron. GI irons hit high straight shots all day. My dad has AP1 and they are so easy to hit. I'd probably score better with them I just can't look at them.
    Cobra F9 Speedback Tour Spec Atmos Black 6x
    Titleist 917F2 15.75° Aldila Rogue Black 70s
    Titleist 816H1 20° Accra FX200H M4
    Ping iBlade 4-PW DGS30
    SM7 50F 54S 
    OG PM Grind 58
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 350g 34.5"
    Pro V1

In the mix:
    Titleist 816H1 23° Accra FX200H M4
    Vokey SM6 46F
    Vokey SM7 58D
    Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 35"

Currently - 8.7

Seems like there is more love for the Ap2s...interesting.
  • woods991woods991 believelandClubWRX Posts: 2,382 ✭✭
    The Cally CF16 to me is a better option than the new Apex IMO. But again the 718 AP2 is a very good iron in all categories, I read somewhere it may not be the best in any one category but very good in all categories, which makes it hard to beat! I wanted to love the new Cally Apex irons but a no go for me....
    Signature of Solon CC
    Ping G400 max 10.5 TPT 16/ LKP / MT / SW 45”
    Titleist TS2 15* Diamana RF 70s 43”
    Titleist 917 f2 18* Diamana  Thump 70s
    Titleist 718 Ap2 5~PW Steelfiber i80s 
    Bridgestone Tour B X Hi 4 iron KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 85s
    Taylormade 50*, 55*, 60* Milled Grind Wedge Tour Only Nippon NS Pro WV 125S
    Evnroll ER9 Superstroke ultra slim 1.0p 33”
  • bcsquarebcsquare Members Posts: 293 ✭✭
    edited Feb 13, 2019 1:46pm #31
    I've only hit the Apex Pro on a launch monitor. I was getting 9 yards more carry over the AP2. Comparing fitting heads with the 716 and 718 AP2's, I thought the Apex was about the same blade length but slimmer lines. I've been gaming 716 AP2 for a while and have been tossing around CB's.

Looking at bad strikes, I was getting little to no distance loss on toey hits with the Apex where AP2's got a good drop off. However the Apex was about 200 RPM lower spinning than the AP2 overall. I liked the Apex Pro but I don't have any interest in leaving Titleist. Call me a fanboy but I'm comfortable with the performance I get with AP2's and would really only go to another set of them or play with CB's.
    Titleist TS3 8.5*, PX HZRDUS Smoke 6.0
    Cobra F9 3W 14.5*, Fujikura Atmos Blue 7S
    Cobra F9 5W 18.5*, Fujikura Atmos Blue 7S
    Titleist 716 CB 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.0
    Titleist SM7 50.12F, 56.08M, 60.08M, Nippon Modus Wedge 115
    Taylormade My Spider X