ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better. Link to full post HERE

Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Southern California Trip Report February 2019

Argonne69Argonne69 Advanced Members Posts: 19,665 ✭✭
I'm in the LA area for 4 days, and hopefully 7 rounds of golf. My plans were to play Olivas Links, Angeles National, Tierra Rejada, Rustic Canyon, Oak Quarry, Black Gold, and Trump National. However, the weather appears to be throwing those plans to the wind. I'll post reviews as I go, and pics when I get home.

I started the day at Olivas Links. I had the first tee time of the day, but after 45 minutes, nobody showed up to open the course. I called a few local courses, but all were closed due to the rain. I wound up a mile away at Buenaventura. It was cart path only, but at least I got out on the course. Not much of a course mind you. Conditions of the fairways and rough were about as bad as you can get. Bare spots. Saturated turf. However, I must say the greens were in excellent condition, and had some serious undulations. Although wet, they rolled with good speed.

The course is very short at barely 6000 yds. Not much to look at. I thought the par 3s were decent, but otherwise it was forgettable.

It's been 3 weeks since I swung a club, but the rust came off quickly. Playing in a steady rain seems to get me focused. Well, at least for 9 holes. I drove the ball well on the front, hitting every fairway, but I started leaking oil on the back. I couldn't keep my grips dry, and I struggled. Limped home to a decent 81.

Comments

• Argonne69Argonne69 Advanced Members Posts: 19,665 ✭✭
    edited February 14
    My 2nd round of the day was supposed to be at Angeles National, but they were washed out. After a few calls I wound up back at Olivas Links. It seems that someone managed to get out of bed. It was walking only, which was tough given the wet conditions. Quite a workout. Other than a squal that blew through on the 7th hole and soaked everything that had started to dry out, it was dry and breezy.

As the name implies, the course is a links layout with very few trees on the property. Of course the big tree on the long par 4 16th comes into play unless you have a 300 yd drive in your bag. Lol. I imagine the course plays firm and fast most days, but today it was wet and slow. Conditions were spotty, but playable for the most part. I only had to take relief from casual water a few times. I generally liked the layout, but I thought there could be more fairway bunkering to help frame the holes. For the most part there isn't any trouble off the tee, and the fairways are quite generous. The greens are fairly large, so getting a GIR is not a guarantee of an automatic 2 putt.

I thought the par 4s could use more variety. There aren't many short ones that require less than driver. The 5s were fairly uninteresting. A couple of the par 3s had some character, but otherwise fairly benign.

Decent round ballstriking with 12 fairways and 11 greens. With the generous fairways and greens, it's not a big accomplishment. Two nice birdies offset nine bogies. A couple of three putts hurt the cause.

Overall I thought it was a decent course. 'Definitely would have liked to play it in dry conditions. Tough call on a solid recommendation. I'll say it does have a unique look for the area, so if you're tired of parkland golf, give it a shot.

Hitting a few brewpubs on the way to Simi Valley. I'm hoping Angeles National is open in the morning. If not I'll likely wind up at Tierra Rejada. Rustic Canyon is on the schedule for the afternoon.

edited February 14
    The par 3 17th at Olivas Links

20190214_143159.jpg
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • tw422tw422 Advanced Members Posts: 264 ✭✭
    I would highly recommend skipping Trump National. I think you will be underwhelmed by golf and it’s way overpriced. Play Pelican or Monarch instead.
  • thewralthewral Advanced Members Posts: 252 ✭✭
    tw422 wrote:
    I would highly recommend skipping Trump National. I think you will be underwhelmed by golf and it’s way overpriced. Play Pelican or Monarch instead.

Second this.
    Ping G400 MAX 9*, Tensei PO 70TX testing against Ping G410 Plus 9*, Accra TZ5 M5
    Ping G410 14.5*, Ping Tour X

Ping G410 Crossover 17*, Tensei Blue 80HY X
    Ping i210 4-U, PXLZ 6.0
    Ping Glide Stealth 54*, 58*, Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge
    Ping Sigma G Anser
  • ryu123ryu123 Advanced Members Posts: 483 ✭✭
    like thewrai & tw422, I think both Pelican Hill courses are much better than Trump (That said, I still had fun at Trump, even though it's very narrow & when I played it in 2005 it had goofy waterfalls on #1 & #17.)

Oak Quarry is very good.

Rustic Canyon is great.
    I've played both courses at PH, and TN. I chose TN due to its proximity to LAX. I may reconsider. I thought TN was decent, but both PH courses are better no doubt.

edited February 15
    I got lucky with the weather this morning. Heck, I even saw some blue skies for a few minutes. I wound up at Angeles National. It was cart path only, but the turf was in fairly decent shape. The bunkers were wet, and had standing water in some of them, but for the most part they were playable. The greens rolled nicely with moderate speed.

The course winds its way through a valley with picturesque hills on both sides. Honestly, I was a bit disappointed with the flat terrain. On the drive up I was expecting a little elevation change on the course. It's a Jack Nicklaus design, and it has his signature elements. The fairways are generous, but there are still plenty of deep fairway bunkers to make you pay for an errant teeshot. The greens have a lot of character, but less undulation than many of his designs. Still, getting the ball close to the pin is no easy matter, and two putts are far from automatic. I thought it had a very good mix of long and short holes for all pars. As expected, the short holes were no pushovers. A good example is the 18th. A good drive leaves a short iron, but the green looks like it's hanging out in the water. A definite knee knocker.

Off the fairways is rocky terrain with cactus and other native plants. Don't go there. Lol. It had the feel of a desert course at times.

Great round ballstriking. It's so much easier without rain gear. I found a few fairway bunkers early in the round, but straightened things out after a few holes. 11 greens were nice, but I only carded 2 birdies. With this being my first visit, I wasn't pin seeking on the tough greens. I'll gladly take the six over and head to Rustic Canyon.

Overall I enjoyed the course. Yeah, some elevation change would be nice, but that's nitpicking. Solid test of golf.

edited February 15
    Angeles National

20190215_091713.jpg

20190215_092742.jpg

Rustic Canyon this afternoon. I must say this is quite a unique layout. Similar to Angeles National, it routes through a valley. That's where the similarities end. The course is basically a links layout. It has an extremely natural look. Groomed it is not. The greens are humongous. I don't think I've ever seen greens this big. Heck, there are sprinkler heads in the middle of most of them. While the greens are not crazy, they have some serious undulations. A GIR is only half the battle. The front is fairly flat. The back has a modest elevation change on 16 and 17. There were a good mix of long and short holes. It rained for most of the back nine, so the long holes played really long. The short holes had more challenging greens, so birdies were hard to come by. The holes were fairly straightforward for the most part. What you saw is what you got.

Conditions were decent. It was once again cart path only. The greens were rolling fine, but slowed as the rain accumulated.

Given the generous fairways it's no surprise I hit 12 of them. Greens were also gettable. Unfortunately the three putts came in buckets. I don't recall ever having so many putts over 60 feet. Lol. I limped home in a heavy rain with an 82.

I'm definitely giving this one a solid recommendation. If you like your golf natural, this is the place.

The traffic here never ceases to amaze me. My hotel tonight is in Fontana, and it's 3 hours from Rustic Canyon (80 miles). Going to be a long drive.

Rustic Canyon.

20190215_142257.jpg

• sharkiesjsharkiesj Advanced Members Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
    Argonne69 wrote:

I got lucky with the weather this morning. Heck, I even saw some blue skies for a few minutes. I wound up at Angeles National. It was cart path only, but the turf was in fairly decent shape. The bunkers were wet, and had standing water in some of them, but for the most part they were playable. The greens rolled nicely with moderate speed.

The course winds its way through a valley with picturesque hills on both sides. Honestly, I was a bit disappointed with the flat terrain. On the drive up I was expecting a little elevation change on the course. It's a Jack Nicklaus design, and it has his signature elements. The fairways are generous, but there are still plenty of deep fairway bunkers to make you pay for an errant teeshot. The greens have a lot of character, but less undulation than many of his designs. Still, getting the ball close to the pin is no easy matter, and two putts are far from automatic. I thought it had a very good mix of long and short holes for all pars. As expected, the short holes were no pushovers. A good example is the 18th. A good drive leaves a short iron, but the green looks like it's hanging out in the water. A definite knee knocker.

Off the fairways is rocky terrain with cactus and other native plants. Don't go there. Lol. It had the feel of a desert course at times.

Great round ballstriking. It's so much easier without rain gear. I found a few fairway bunkers early in the round, but straightened things out after a few holes. 11 greens were nice, but I only carded 2 birdies. With this being my first visit, I wasn't pin seeking on the tough greens. I'll gladly take the six over and head to Rustic Canyon.

Overall I enjoyed the course. Yeah, some elevation change would be nice, but that's nitpicking. Solid test of golf.

When a course is designed by the Nicklaus Design group, owned by Jack Nicklaus, you can be sure Jack never stepped on the property. I believe Steve Nicklaus designed the course but I could be wrong. That piece of land was sitting there for years and it was well known that Coore/Crenshaw really wanted the job but unfortunately they didn’t get the job. Nicklaus design swooped in and got the bid. Courses done by Jack are designed by Jack Nicklaus. Nicklaus Design group is owned by Jack but generally speaking done by his kids or other relatives, with very little input from Jack himself.
    edited February 16
    OK, this is more like it. A beautiful, sunny morning at Oak Quarry. It was cart path only, but the rain has passed for now. I'll admit. I'm a sucker for elevated tees, and panoramic views, and this course has them in bunches. I'll let the pictures do the talking, but let's just say it's a visual treat. There is a good mix of holes, including a couple of reachable par 5s if you manage to find the speed slot. The bunkering was well done, especially around the greens. The greens were very challenging without being brutal. Multiple tiers on many holes made it tough to stick approaches close.

Conditions were spotty. Very good on many holes, but very wet on others. The greens were rolling nicely though.

Very good round with the driver hitting 11 fairways. I found the speed slot on two of the par 5s, and was able to reach each in two, leading to birdies. Iron play was so so. I hit a few sweeping draws that missed left, but the majority got the job done. A few three putts were disappointing, but I'm very happy with the six over round.

I was very excited impressed by the course. Besides the excellent views, it's a solid test. Definitely recommended.

Oak Quarry.

20190216_082540.jpg

• shadymgshadymg Advanced Members Posts: 133 ✭✭
    just wanted to say thanks for continuing to update this. i live in socal and haven't played many of these (FOR SHAME!!!). Enjoying your writeups, keep it coming!
  • scratchswingerscratchswinger Advanced Members Posts: 16,149 ✭✭
    Oak Quarry looks to be in great shape.
    Your trip reviews are always very well done and please keep the pictures coming. I too live in SoCal and have not played some of these courses so your write ups are helpful both ways...allows me to see the ones to avoid and the ones to add to my list to play. Sounds like you’re getting the full experience with our horrible traffic? image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />. I know you’re a beer guy so have you tried any of SoCal’s local breweries? If you’re near LB try either Beachwood or Brouwerij West. You won’t be disappointed.
    edited February 16
    Thanks. I'll post full pics on Monday.

Oh yeah, I've hit 6 brewpubs on this trip. I'm currently enjoying the leisurely pace of weekend public golf at Black Gold GC. Lol. We're on pace for a 5 hour round. I get spoiled with my early morning tee times.
  • GolfingDad44GolfingDad44 Advanced Members Posts: 89
    Nice, I just hit a few of the courses that you played last week while out in LA. Rustic was in good shape, Oak Quarey in my opinion has seen better days and lacks as far as conditions are concerned. Black Gold was ok, decent course to play with a cool view.

Oak Quarry looks to be in great shape.

I didn't think so 9 days ago
    edited February 16
    I finished the day with a (long) round at Black Gold GC. Maybe it's the fatigue, but after Oak Quarry the course left me wanting. Yes, it had the nice elevated tees, along with plenty of elevation change. However, the course was uninspiring. They could have done a lot more with the terrain. For starters the housing is a bit too confining. The front feels very tight. The back does open update a bit, and is definitely the better of the two nines. There were a couple of short par 4s, but they were far from challenging. OTOH, the par 3s were tough, including two that played 200 yds. I'm a big fan of fairway bunkers that help frame the hole. Nope, not here. The bunkers are there, but they're barely visible. I thought that the green complexes were very good. There were some very subtle breaks that left you stratching your head.

Conditioning was once again spotty. It was cart path only again. Plenty of wet spots, but generally playable. Sadly, the bunkers were a mess. Standing water in most of them.

The gas tank is on 'E'. As is the norm on my extended trips, the lower back tightens, and it's brutal. I got off the tee OK, hitting 11 fairways. However, when the back goes, the shoulder drops, and the irons become obese city. I managed only 7 greens. A few good scrambles couldn't salvage the round.

Overall I'd have to say skip this one unless you're simply looking for a 2nd round of the day to fill out your schedule. Playable, yes, but it's not a destination course.

Edit: OK, I think it's the fatigue. I looked through the my pics, and the course is not as pinched as I first thought. I still think they could have done a lot more with the terrain, but it's not as bad as my first impression.

edited February 16
    Black Gold GC.

20190216_145716.jpg

Cinque Per Amici and Exercise in Lunacy, just two of the delicious stouts at Bottle Logic Brewing in Anaheim, CA. Heaven.

20190216_165729.jpg

20190216_165200.jpg

Outstanding choice. Bottle Logic is excellent. Not sure if you are still in Anaheim area but check the The Bruery as well. As good if not not better than Bottle Logic. Super experimental stuff but execution is perfect. Would love to hear your thoughts on Trump National.
    edited February 17
    I finished my trip at Trump National. I played the course last February, and my opinion hasn't changed. If you like great views, this place has it big time. Conditioning was very good, even though it was cart path only. Fairways were lush, and the greens speedy. The bunkers looked great, but they could use more sand. A number of them were nearly hardpan.

Given the slope of the terrain, I'm not sure what more could be done with the layout except the back and forth that we got. Many complain that it's monotonous, but I think there's enough variety to keep ones interest when your not looking at the coastline. With the northwest wind, the course played very long on half the holes, and very short on the others. I do agree that it's a tough driving test, as anything off the fairway is pretty much lost in the thick scrub. Gotta have your A driving game here. I really like the greens. They're not crazy, but they sure aren't boring. I think the bunkering is spot on for the most part, although a few holes could use some additional ones in the fairway. Par 3s are excellent, with a good mix of length. I hit a gap wedge on one of the short ones downwind, but also it a fairway wood on one of the long ones playing into the wind.

Besides mother nature dumping rain on us mid-round for 3 holes, I had two complaints that should not occur at an expensive course. First, get the d*mn GPS right. 'Hate firing at pins that aren't there. Second, I like to take care of the course. Would it be asking too much to have sand/seed in the sand bottles?

I didn't have high expectations for the round, and I wasn't disappointed. Once again I got off the tee OK, hitting 11 fairways, but the combination of wind and wet left some very long approaches. Greens were MIA for the most part. However, I did manage to reach one of the downwind par 5s in two, leading to a birdie, and I followed that up with a birdie on the next long downwind par 4. Otherwise, hey, look at the nice scenery. Lol.

Overall I really like this course. Yes, it has some downsides, but I certainly believe it's worth a visit. 'Just remember to bring the straightest driver you own.

edited February 17
    The tips on the 18th at Trump National playing 512 yds into a headwind. Umm, no I didn't play from here. I hit driver/5h playing from the blues at 390 yds.

20190217_133824.jpg

I was hoping to hit a final brewpub before heading to LAX, but the cart path only 4.5 hour round spoiled those plans. Enjoying a tasty North Coast Old Rasputin RIS at Rock & Brews at the airport. My body aches, and my feet are blistered. I don't think my feet have been dry since I stepped foot on Buenaventura. 6 rounds of cart path only, and one round walking is almost like work. I'll post full pics tomorrow, and my final comments and rankings on Tuesday.

Safe travels!

SoCal golf is a fun trip! I've been out there 8 times to play since 2011.
    Buenaventura GC. 'Not much to look at.

20190214_072851s.jpg

20190214_075759s.jpg

20190214_080927s.jpg

20190214_095031s.jpg

20190214_100012s.jpg
    Olivas Links (Front 9)

20190214_114656s.jpg

The par 5 2nd

20190214_120237s.jpg

20190214_121337s.jpg

The par 5 4th

20190214_122222s.jpg

The par 3 5th

20190214_123251s.jpg

20190214_123957s.jpg

20190214_124851s.jpg

The par 3 8th

20190214_130005s.jpg

20190214_130827s.jpg
    Olivas Links (Back 9)

20190214_132122s.jpg

20190214_133108s.jpg

20190214_134004s.jpg

The par 3 13th

20190214_134912s.jpg

The par 5 14th

20190214_135839s.jpg

20190214_142157s.jpg

The par 3 17th

20190214_143202s.jpg

The par 5 18th

20190214_143905s.jpg
    Angeles National GC (Front 9)

20190215_065300s.jpg

The par 5 2nd

20190215_070347s.jpg

20190215_070801s.jpg

The par 3 3rd

20190215_072003s.jpg

20190215_072321s.jpg

20190215_072951s.jpg

20190215_073922s.jpg

20190215_074724s.jpg

The par 3 7th

20190215_075233s.jpg

The par 5 8th

20190215_080028s.jpg

20190215_080521s.jpg

20190215_081144s.jpg

20190215_081616s.jpg
    Angeles National GC (Back 9)

20190215_082311s.jpg

20190215_082954s.jpg

The par 3 12th

20190215_083702s.jpg

The par 5 13th

20190215_084142s.jpg

The par 3 14th

20190215_085602s.jpg

20190215_090211s.jpg

The par 5 16th

20190215_090821s.jpg

20190215_091319s.jpg

20190215_091711s.jpg

20190215_091944s.jpg

20190215_092742s.jpg

20190215_093132s.jpg

20190215_093554s.jpg
    Rustic Canyon GC (Front 9)

The par 5 1st

20190215_115903s.jpg

20190215_121400s.jpg

#3 - Driveable par 4

20190215_122444s.jpg

The par 5 5th

20190215_125006s.jpg

20190215_125538s.jpg

The par 3 6th

20190215_130821s.jpg

20190215_132113s.jpg

The par 3 8th

20190215_133447s.jpg

The par 5 9th

20190215_134115s.jpg
    Rustic Canyon GC (Back 9)

The par 5 10th

20190215_140319s.jpg

20190215_142257s.jpg

20190215_143721s.jpg

The par 5 13th

20190215_145107s.jpg

'Nice bunker in the middle of the green

20190215_150057s.jpg

20190215_150558s.jpg

20190215_151121s.jpg

The par 3 15th

20190215_152934s.jpg

20190215_153748s.jpg

The par 3 17th

20190215_155202s.jpg

20190215_160137s.jpg
    Oak Quarry GC (Front 9)

Overlooking the 16th - 18th from the climb to the 1st tee

20190216_060244s.jpg

20190216_061359s.jpg

20190216_062406s.jpg

The par 5 2nd

20190216_062805s.jpg

20190216_063106s.jpg

The par 3 3rd

20190216_064034s.jpg

20190216_064522s.jpg

20190216_065212s.jpg

A look back at the teebox

20190216_065207s.jpg

The par 3 5th

20190216_065433s.jpg

#6 from the tips

20190216_065449s.jpg

A more human view

20190216_070148s.jpg

20190216_070647s.jpg

A view of the back nine (#15)

20190216_070911s.jpg

20190216_071221s.jpg

The par 5 8th

20190216_072210s.jpg

A look southeast

20190216_072437s.jpg

20190216_072537s.jpg

20190216_072803s.jpg

Another view of the back nine

20190216_072846s.jpg

20190216_073519s.jpg
  • agoodmanmbkagoodmanmbk Advanced Members Posts: 395 ✭✭
    I have lived in California for a long time and surprised I have never played Oak Quarry. It looks spectacular!
    Titleist TS2 Tensei Pro White 60
    Titleist TS2 15* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70
    PING G410 19* Tensei Pro Blue 80
    PING i210 4-UW Project X LZ
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 56*SS/60*SS
    TaylorMade Spider X Navy
    TaylorMade TP5
    Oak Quarry GC (Back 9)

The par 3 10th

20190216_074654s.jpg

20190216_075313s.jpg

The par 5 12th

20190216_080129s.jpg

20190216_080632s.jpg

20190216_081516s.jpg

20190216_081849s.jpg

The stunning par 3 14th

20190216_082533s.jpg

20190216_082827s.jpg

20190216_083245s.jpg

A look back at the teebox

20190216_084103s.jpg

The par 5 16th

20190216_083827s.jpg

20190216_084727s.jpg

20190216_085151s.jpg

20190216_085251s.jpg

20190216_090308s.jpg

A view of 17 and 16 from the clubhouse

20190216_091733s.jpg

20190216_091736s.jpg
    Black Gold GC (Front 9)

20190216_112900s.jpg

20190216_113553s.jpg

20190216_114449s.jpg

20190216_115948s.jpg

The par 5 4th

20190216_121410s.jpg

20190216_123217s.jpg

The par 5 6th

20190216_125246s.jpg

The par 3 7th

20190216_131146s.jpg

The par 3 8th

20190216_132305s.jpg

A look towards the 2nd fairway

20190216_133229s.jpg

20190216_133953s.jpg
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 14,345 ClubWRX
    edited February 18
    Nice recap Argonne. If I ever get out there I’ll make sure to revisit this thread. Rustic Canyon and Oak Quarry look like a lot of fun.

Unfortunately Black Gold looks a little more my style.....a little scruffy!
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
    Black Gold GC (Back 9)

The par 3 10th

20190216_135709s.jpg

20190216_140813s.jpg

20190216_142417s.jpg

20190216_142825s.jpg

The par 5 13th

20190216_143838s.jpg

20190216_145716s.jpg

20190216_151240s.jpg

The par 3 16th

20190216_152659s.jpg

20190216_154131s.jpg

The par 5 18th

20190216_155809s.jpg

20190216_160612s.jpg

20190216_160807s.jpg
  • scratchswingerscratchswinger Advanced Members Posts: 16,149 ✭✭
    Some decent public tracks and great photos... I am not really a fan of Oak Quarry and Black Gold, both have some very quirky holes. Everything in socal is in really good shape because of the rain, a little disheartening to see Black Gold look very average.
    Trump National GC Los Angeles (Front 9)

20190217_092248s.jpg

20190217_093306s.jpg

The par 5 2nd

20190217_094521s.jpg

20190217_100024s.jpg

From the green

20190217_100539s.jpg

The par 3 4th

20190217_101406s.jpg

20190217_102357s.jpg

20190217_103152s.jpg

20190217_103157s.jpg

20190217_103204s.jpg

The par 5 7th

20190217_105219s.jpg

20190217_110644s.jpg

20190217_110822s.jpg

The long par 3 8th

20190217_111312s.jpg

20190217_112445s.jpg

20190217_112755s.jpg
    Trump National GC Los Angeles (Back 9)

20190217_113805s.jpg

The short par 4 10th

20190217_114416s.jpg

A look at the 11th green

20190217_115314s.jpg

The par 3 11th

20190217_115837s.jpg

The par 5 12th

20190217_121033s.jpg

20190217_124242s.jpg

The par 5 14th

20190217_124709s.jpg

The short par 3 15th

20190217_130735s.jpg

20190217_132010s.jpg

The long par 3 17th

20190217_133045s.jpg

20190217_133747s.jpg

#18 from the tips

20190217_133824s.jpg

My brave playing partners are going to give it a go. Lol. No thanks.

20190217_133954s.jpg

#18 for us mere mortals

20190217_134944s.jpg

20190217_135532s.jpg

20190217_135742s.jpg

20190217_135923s.jpg
  • WildcatGolferWildcatGolfer Advanced Members Posts: 154 ✭✭
    Argonne69 wrote:

Rustic Canyon this afternoon. I must say this is quite a unique layout. Similar to Angeles National, it routes through a valley. That's where the similarities end. The course is basically a links layout. It has an extremely natural look. Groomed it is not. The greens are humongous. I don't think I've ever seen greens this big. Heck, there are sprinkler heads in the middle of most of them. While the greens are not crazy, they have some serious undulations. A GIR is only half the battle. The front is fairly flat. The back has a modest elevation change on 16 and 17. There were a good mix of long and short holes. It rained for most of the back nine, so the long holes played really long. The short holes had more challenging greens, so birdies were hard to come by. The holes were fairly straightforward for the most part. What you saw is what you got.

Conditions were decent. It was once again cart path only. The greens were rolling fine, but slowed as the rain accumulated.

Given the generous fairways it's no surprise I hit 12 of them. Greens were also gettable. Unfortunately the three putts came in buckets. I don't recall ever having so many putts over 60 feet. Lol. I limped home in a heavy rain with an 82.

I'm definitely giving this one a solid recommendation. If you like your golf natural, this is the place.

Rustic's greens can be devious and I wouldn't want it any other way. One thing to note is the greens aren't quite as big as you think. The sprinkler heads (and white spray painted dots) ring the greens and are surrounded by large closely mown areas which are not green. Makes it tough from the fairways since it's hard to tell the difference between the two.
    Shovels
    Rakes
    2x4s
    Baseball Bat
    I figured the closely mown areas weren't greens. However, I don't recall seeing the white dots. They had a competition just before I played. Is it possible they treated the entire area as a green for the tournament?
    awesome pics and sorry you didn't get better weather. this is the most rain we've seen in a few years. that forced carry on 18 at TN has to be over 200yds? I've never played those tee's.
    tw422 wrote:

awesome pics and sorry you didn't get better weather. this is the most rain we've seen in a few years. that forced carry on 18 at TN has to be over 200yds? I've never played those tee's.

Thanks. I was in the area two years ago, and it was also quite wet. The carry from the 18th's tips is 220 at least. One of my playing partners says he hit his best drive of the day, and barely cleared the junk. It was playing into a 15 mph headwind, though.
  • fore_lifefore_life Swung too hard, hit it too pure. Members, Advanced Members Posts: 10,349 ✭✭
    My god playing oak quarry on Friday, so incredibly excited now
    Ping G400 LST Ust Attas Earth 9f5
    M4 15* with bimatrix rocket X
    Titleist 21* H2 evenflow blue 6.5
    718 tmb 4 iron
    718 cb 5-pw amt x100 tour
    Vokeys
    Cleveland TA milled 1i

Various other putters currently in the closet,
    thinking about what they've done wrong,
    and how they've hurt me so.
  • Ping ZingsPing Zings Advanced Members Posts: 827 ✭✭