Ball Forgiveness?

Hat TrickHat Trick Members Posts: 543 ✭✭

I have a driver swing speed of 96-98 mph and my carry distance is 225ish - index handicap 4.9.
I was told that a softer ball... V1 instead of V1X, TP5 instead of TP5X, Chrome Soft instead of Chrome Soft X would be more forgiving for me because I would compress it more through all the layers of the ball.
To me the balls are all getting very close to one another and to me the non x vs. x balls seems to be just a feel thing.
Anybody know the logic on this theory?

Comments

  • tsecortsecor Loading........ Members Posts: 3,996 ✭✭

    you should go with a surlyn ball for forgiveness. The high priced urethane balls are ok for 8iron and under for spinning and what not but for longer straighter shots with you SS, I am not sure how you can compress the TP5X and balls of that nature and still maximize distance. Chrome soft might be ok for you though......look at some of the Wilson offerings too

  • BB28403BB28403 Members Posts: 3,057 ✭✭

    I play TP5X, thing goes a mile. I'm around your SS, maybe a bit faster. I think they designed the TP's with softer material. The whole reason I started in on this slippery slope is I found one at the range I frequent. My usual shot was oh 240,hit the ground and roll to the back of the net. Well the TP5X shot off the driver face and just went buddy!! It hit the net in the air at about 20-30 feet up. I was sold at that point. And on course it has nothing but surprised me.
    Find some used ones on eBay and try them. They are amazing .

  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,602 ✭✭

    Callaway says a mishit softer compression ball will give you more distance than an identically mishit firmer compression ball. I have been told a firmer ball offers more ball speed so I really don’t know what to believe or if there is a true way to measure it anyway.

    For the compress the X ball part, read this link. Point #9.

    https://media.titleist.com/images/titleist/files/US/2019_Ball_Fitting_Booklet.pdf

    Taylormade M6 driver with MCA Tensei CK Pro White 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood with MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 with Modus3 115 Wedge
    Taylormade Spider X 
    Taylormade TP5
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 22,867 ✭✭

    @Hat Trick said:
    I have a driver swing speed of 96-98 mph and my carry distance is 225ish - index handicap 4.9.
    I was told that a softer ball... V1 instead of V1X, TP5 instead of TP5X, Chrome Soft instead of Chrome Soft X would be more forgiving for me because I would compress it more through all the layers of the ball.
    To me the balls are all getting very close to one another and to me the non x vs. x balls seems to be just a feel thing.
    Anybody know the logic on this theory?

    I don't believe there is any actual valid physics behind that theory in any amount that would be significant at all if they are referring to "forgiveness" in terms of ball speed generated. It's amazing how many misconceptions have been created around the concept of compression of the golf ball. The only real concept of forgiveness that applies to golf balls might come in terms of spin generated. The less spin, the more forgiving the ball will be (so surlyn might be a bit more forgiving with the irons/wedges - but then there are potential consequences in terms of distance and distance control.

  • tsecortsecor Loading........ Members Posts: 3,996 ✭✭

    There are some great videos on you tube which go into compression of a golf ball and for the 1st time I actually see the value in choosing a ball you can compress properly. One video showed a guy with 115mph swing use a low compression ball. The video shows the ball being compressed to a point of being mushy. Then he went to a higher compression ball and gained 10 yards because it didnt compress as much and the ball springing off the club face was maximized. This was tested on drivers. when they went to lower irons where swing speeds were slower, the result was not as dramatic.

  • arbeckarbeck SeattlePosts: 343 ✭✭

    @Stuart G. said:
    I don't believe there is any actual valid physics behind that theory in any amount that would be significant at all if they are referring to "forgiveness" in terms of ball speed generated. It's amazing how many misconceptions have been created around the concept of compression of the golf ball. The only real concept of forgiveness that applies to golf balls might come in terms of spin generated. The less spin, the more forgiving the ball will be (so surlyn might be a bit more forgiving with the irons/wedges - but then there are potential consequences in terms of distance and distance control.

    I don't believe that the less spin the more forgiving makes sense. Backspin actually stabilizes ball flight. That's why it's harder to slice a wedge than to slice a driver. The wedge has backspin which stabilizes the flight so even if the two balls have the same spin axis, the driver is going to slice more. Too much spin is going to make the ball go a shorter distance and maybe go too high, but it's not going make it go further left or further right.

    Ping Traverse
    King Cobra F7 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Blue 60 set at 9.5*
    TEE E8 4W, 7W
    Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 5-SW w/ Veylix Alpina 873
    TEE CB PROs 60*
    Scotty Cameron Squareback
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 22,867 ✭✭

    @arbeck said:
    I don't believe that the less spin the more forgiving makes sense. Backspin actually stabilizes ball flight. That's why it's harder to slice a wedge than to slice a driver. The wedge has backspin which stabilizes the flight so even if the two balls have the same spin axis, the driver is going to slice more. Too much spin is going to make the ball go a shorter distance and maybe go too high, but it's not going make it go further left or further right.

    Personally, I don't think there's going to be enough difference between different balls (IMO, "forgiving" is not a ball characteristic ).

    But in theory it's going to depend on a lot of things as to whether it might help or hurt how off-line the ball might go, but comparing a driver to a wedge isn't going to give you the answer to the question of how two balls will react with the same club. In general, the real question as I see it is about - given the same spin axis (that is determined by impact so the ball wont really change it) - how will changes to the total spin effect the ball flight? In that context more spin will both increase the magnitude of the side component and the hang time from the greater back spin. So (in general) we'll likely have a bigger vector and it's operating over more time.

  • tsecortsecor Loading........ Members Posts: 3,996 ✭✭

    The ball engineers for all the major companies disagree with your guys but I side with you...even on clubs.....it seems as if the term "forgiveness" is starting to creep into the ball market and could play a major role in how average golfers make their purchases in the future.

  • arbeckarbeck SeattlePosts: 343 ✭✭

    @tsecor said:
    The ball engineers for all the major companies disagree with your guys but I side with you...even on clubs.....it seems as if the term "forgiveness" is starting to creep into the ball market and could play a major role in how average golfers make their purchases in the future.

    You could conceivably make a ball that is a little straighter and hence has forgiveness by changing the dimple pattern. If you hit a ball in a vacuum, the magnus effect (which is how spin causes the ball to curve) goes away. So a ball with a more arrow dynamic dimple pattern would be straighter than one that has more air resistance. That's why balls curve less at altitude. So a ball that is better in the wind, would also be straighter than one that is worse in the wind. There's only so much that the aerodynamics package can do though, and we're probably pretty close to those limits.

    Ping Traverse
    King Cobra F7 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Blue 60 set at 9.5*
    TEE E8 4W, 7W
    Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 5-SW w/ Veylix Alpina 873
    TEE CB PROs 60*
    Scotty Cameron Squareback
  • GSDriverGSDriver Members Posts: 574 ✭✭

    I'm thinking as a 5 hdcp you can play with whatever you like, find or are given. Might take a little getting used to, especially short game behavior. Given USGA limits, are most modern balls really about same as far as distance goes, at least under testing conditions would seem to be really close to the limit.

    The golf marketing peeps will sell "distance" and/or "forgiveness" in about anything, can't wait for the ad wars to start.

    Epic Speeder 661
    Rogue 4 Wood Evenflow 75 Blue
    Epic Hybrids 3/4/5
    Apex Pro 6-P Recoil 110 F4
    MD Slate Forged 52
    PM Grind 56/60
    Odyssey 7S
    All grips except putter are Iomic Sticky 2.3
Sign In or Register to comment.