Shafting heavy heads question.

wobgonwobgon Members Posts: 7,503 ✭✭

I have a set of iron heads that are extra heavy.....8 iron is 283 grams.....with s300's, they swing weight at d7....I am a fan of heavy irons, but these are to heavy......Could using a lighter shaft bring them down to the d2 or d3 range?

Comments

• Matt JMatt J Members Posts: 8,721 ✭✭

Yes. And a heavy grip will counterbalance the head. Whether that's 'tricking' the scale and how it will feel will be up to you.

• Matt JMatt J Members Posts: 8,721 ✭✭

You could also play then 1/2 an inch shorter.

• NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members Posts: 18,361 ✭✭

Doubtful to reduce swingweight 3-4 points based on shafts alone. Did you read the pinned thread about swingweight?

Ping G400 driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Black 70S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S (i200 backups)
    Ping Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
  • wobgonwobgon Members Posts: 7,503 ✭✭
    edited Apr 22, 2019 3:08am #5

Matt.....I tried that with one club but didn't like the feel.

@Nessism said:
    Doubtful to reduce swingweight 3-4 points based on shafts alone. Did you read the pinned thread about swing weight?

Yes, I refer to it all the time but have found it a little harder to follow when it comes to shaft weight......The reason I am asking, is that although I do not want to use graphite in this example, I have seen irons with graphite drop swing weight by quite a lot.

• KRW59KRW59 Hoarder Members Posts: 856 ✭✭
    edited Apr 22, 2019 7:13am #7

A 283 gram 8 iron is @5 grams heavier than the 278 gram "standard" head weight.

My first choice would be to build with Steelfiber i110 if the shafts were a decent fit for
    your swing. Would see a 3 to 4 point reduction in swing weight building with them.
    Another option is building with .370" parallel shafts in a lighter weight. After tipping
    per mfg , they will almost always build 2-3 swingweights lighter than a .355" taper tip.
    The .370" would require reaming the hosels for steel , or hand tapering the tips for the
    graphite , if the heads are .355" hosel I.D.

Then there is always what I do for my personal . 75" to .5" overlength builds. Drilling out
    material from the head , inside and below the hosel bore .... 5 grams is no problem...

Cobra King F9 10.5* / Fuji Speeder Evo IV  569-SR
    TEE EX10 Beta 16.5* / Fuji Platinum Speeder 5-SR
    TEE EX10 19* / Fuji Platinum Speeder 6-S
    TEE EX9 22* / Attas 4U 7-S.
    TEE EX9 25* / Attas 4U 7-X
    I have added about 10 grams of weight to all the fwy / hybrid
    shafts , using Sensicore inserts wrapped with lead tape.

Cobra Forged Tec Black / 28* 6 iron thru 49.5* GW / 4.5* gapping
    Recoil 780 Es Smac wrap F3 / GW shaft internally weighted to 95 grams

King Black Wedges / 54* versatile/ Recoil 95 F3 shaft weighted to 110 grams
    58* versatile / Recoil 110 F4 shaft weighted to 125 grams ( heat shrink tube )

Piretti Savona 2 Elite《Murdered》or 1/1 GSS High Toe Potenza II

Flask - Crown Black
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 23,121 ✭✭
    edited Apr 22, 2019 7:48am #8

Agree with the SF i110 - suggestion - that's the only iron shaft I've run across that will make a noticeable dent in the swing weight. Specifically every time I've built with them they end up ~4 sw pts lighter than when building with DG's in the same head. In fact, don't remember which ones you've tried but I've found most other mid or heavy weight graphite shafts will NOT drop the SW noticeably. Recoils SW the same as DG. SF i95's and the newer fc series from steelfiber might drop the SW by 1 pt.

But that's assuming the you really do want to go lighter with the swing weight.

@wobgon said:
    Matt.....I tried that with one club but didn't like the feel.

Then the problem of feeling too heavy may not be the swing weight - it may be the total static weight instead. You did say you actually liked heavier swing weights. It could even be the stiffness - the difference in feel between weight and stiffness can actually get very fuzzy for some - since they both can effect how how much effort we think we have to put into the swing.

• Awainer1Awainer1 Members Posts: 888 ✭✭

You can drill plenty of weight out of the hosel prob enough to get it to your desired sw

Instead of focusing on swingweight a reduction in total weight may solve the issue. DG 120 for example, or some other shaft that's lighter than what you have. Chasing D2 if that means going down in total weight beyond your customary range may be worse than the heavier swingweight. Both swingweight and total weight affect the feeling of heft of the clubs and total weight is the more significant of the two.

• Howard JonesHoward Jones Members Posts: 8,564 ✭✭

@wobgon said:
    I have a set of iron heads that are extra heavy.....8 iron is 283 grams.....with s300's, they swing weight at d7....I am a fan of heavy irons, but these are to heavy......Could using a lighter shaft bring them down to the d2 or d3 range?

You start from the wrong end, but OK....
    Using the same shafts, the only possible Solution is to keep your #8 iron as it is, and then go 8.0mm or shorter bewteen clubs (or another shorter interval than 8.00 mm). That makes a set with progressive SW starting from a #3 iron of D4 up to #9 as D7. (that #3 iron would be 1 1/16 shorter than STD and very easy to play vs a std #3 iron)

Shaft weight matters for TOTAL weight, not so much for SW balance, then it has to be a CW balanced shaft, but we want be able to make it with that alone.

Adding Counterweight is tricking the scale and adding total weight = dont work for other clubs than putters when a head weight to high is the issue.

Hosel drilling can remove up to 10 grams from host heads, its not really a DIY job, but if DG S300 is a good match as weight, feel and dispersion, solve the issue where the issue is....remove some head weight...and consider another set up than the classic 0.5 and flat SW value, that might be a solution for more than just the SW issue.

Add you specs starting from D7 and play around with this APP
    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1751610/metric-irons-excel-vba-app/p1

• SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,238 ClubWRX

Since @wobgon didn't fill in the blanks, I will. The heads in question are s55's. Ping original specs:
    S55 3-9PW
    Shaft FST KBS TOUR S
    Length STD
    CLRCD/LIE BLACK
    Grip GP TOUR VELVET-WHITE
    Grip+ +2 WRAPS
    Swing Weight D2

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Ping Forged 52°, ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.5"
    MCC Align Midsize
    Moving to the bench:
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Vokey SM2 52º cc
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"

I pretty much agree with all the responses.....Thanks for the help......These s55's are in such nice shape that I would like to make them work......I talked to ping and as was suggested by Socrates, these heads had been reweighted to make them heavier......I can send them to ping and have them weighted to what I request for 13.00 a club...….Now I need to decide if I want to go that route.

• Albatross85Albatross85 Tiger is the GOAT St. Louis, MOMembers Posts: 2,844 ✭✭

cant you send S55 back in to Ping and have the weight ports changed?

Titleist TS3 8.5* ...............................Tensei Pro White 70TX proto 44.5" D5
    Titleist TS2 15.75* ..........................Tensei Pro White 80TX proto 42.5" D4
    Mizuno MP18 Fli-Hi #2 17.5* ...Handcrafted HZRDUS 105 6.5 39.75" D2
    Titleist 712U 4 iron .......................C-taper S+ 125 D2
    Wilson FG Tour V6 5-Gw ............PX LZ 6.5 +3/8" D2-D5 off 46* Pw
    Mizuno T7 55.09 ............................PX LZ 6.5 35.5" D6
    Mizuno T7 60.06 ............................Tour Issue S400 35.5" D6
    Tour Only Odyssey Jailbird Mini Versa | BWB | plumbers neck | WHP insert
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

@Awainer1 said:
    You can drill plenty of weight out of the hosel prob enough to get it to your desired sw

I assume the drilling is done using a smaller bit and leaving the hosel depth as it is?

I wouldn't entertain drilling weight out of those heads. The hosel notch is just below the bottom of the hosel bore. Too risky.

@Nessism said:
    I wouldn't entertain drilling weight out of those heads. The hosel notch is just below the bottom of the hosel bore. Too risky.

I'm sure you are right.....I will probably send them to be reweigted or pass them along to someone who wants the heavier heads.

• howellhandmadehowellhandmade Members Posts: 736 ✭✭

@wobgon said:
    I pretty much agree with all the responses.....Thanks for the help......These s55's are in such nice shape that I would like to make them work......I talked to ping and as was suggested by Socrates, these heads had been reweighted to make them heavier......I can send them to ping and have them weighted to what I request for 13.00 a club...….Now I need to decide if I want to go that route.

I certainly would do that. Those cast Pings are very hard and difficult to drill. Having Ping change the cavity weights is the right way to do it.

• MrFlapjackMrFlapjack Members Posts: 2,597 ✭✭

For 13 bucks a head send them back to Ping for sure. Unless you want to try SF 110's but doesn't sound like it.

Cobra LTD Pro HZRDUS 75g 6.5 (Synergy Black 70TX tipped 1/2")
    Ping 2014 Rapture 3W - Blueboard 73x5ct
    Srixon Z U45 18, 20, 23 () (Testing Cobra F8 and Ping G 3 hybrids)
    Srixon Z545 5-AW (SF i110 stiff) (Testing Cleveland CBX 7-PW, and Nike Vapor Fly 4-6 irons)
    RTX 3.0 - 54 and 58 (SF i125 stiff) (Testing Cleveland CBX wedges 48, 52, 56 bent to 50, 54, 58)
    YES Milly - 100gm TLP. (Testing Ping Ketsch Mid)
  • liljimliljim Members Posts: 112 ✭✭

@wobgon said:

How are you sending them back to ping? Already reshafted or just heads only? Curious as to how much they will do. I thought they wouldn't work on a club(s) that had non factory work done to it/them.

Jim

I was told if I send them back shafted, they would weight to the swing weight that I request.

• liljimliljim Members Posts: 112 ✭✭

@wobgon said:
    I was told if I send them back shafted, they would weight to the swing weight that I request.

Nice... I'm in the same boat. I've got a pristine set of S55s that are too heavy of a swingweight with the shaft I want to play in them at the length I need. If they'll reweigh them for 13$ a head that might be what I'll do.

@liljim said:

@wobgon said:

Nice... I'm in the same boat. I've got a pristine set of S55s that are too heavy of a swingweight with the shaft I want to play in them at the length I need. If they'll reweigh them for 13$ a head that might be what I'll do.

@liljim said:

@wobgon said:

They also said they had flat rate shipping for 15.00.

• indianalawnguyindianalawnguy Members Posts: 435 ✭✭

@wobgon said:

Honestly.. For $104 i would send them back. If by chance the steelfiber 110 is a shaft that you like, then maybe thats an option? Not worth the time or energy playing the guessing wnen u can send them in and have them back in a week or 2! Drilling them out would be my last choice. Tough to find a nice set of s55's and only getting tougher! Actually .... You could easily spend more than $100 regripping them!!! Send them to PING!